Nature's Gate Upper Tanagement Self-tanning Creme [DISCONTINUED]

4.4

Not tested on animals

on 9/4/2010 11:23:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was surprised to find out both Tanagement (self-tanner) and Happy Glow Lucky (bronzer) were discontinued by Nature's Gate. They both give a natural tan (i.e., non-orange) and have the benefit of being paraben-free. The only downside to them is their packaging-- the low center of gravity of the long thin tubes meant they topped over on my bathroom shelf constantly, taking other bottles with them, and it was so annoying!! Hopefully Nature's Gate will re-release them with new packaging :)
** 9-10-10** Nature's Gate customer relations confirmed Tanagement is discontinued, replaced with Sunless Tanner (which is in a different, less tippy tube :)

So far, I am putting this to the test.

Day 1: I am super happy with the application. I have tried all the tips I could find on applying self-tanning lotions! They seem to be successful. The color guide was really a nice color of tan! It almost looked like green! But a brown with green in it! But, I was pleasantly surprised when I applied it to see that OHHH that's how I can actually achieve a olive skin looking bronze! So far so good.

day 2: I am MUCH more bronzed today than I thought I was yesterday! So far I only have found one splotch around my ankle, which isn't very big a problem because I can just exfoliate or it's mostly hidden with flats. This stuff actually worked out to be much darker than i expected! I'm very fair but pleasantly surprised! I will probably do this every once or twice a week it's very dark!

day 3: I love this stuff, I'm still tanned, the splotches I had now washed off with a towel. I am still bronzed, definately worth buying this stuff. It really worked! :) I am a happy customer! You will be too. Plus it is parabens free!
The only downside whatsoever, is the application. You need to put lotion on knees, ankles feet, neck shoulders.... everywhere bone-y. But this is what I always do with any self-tanner, it's a tip I got from st.tropez videos. It's not required but it's the only way I tried this self-tanner. And, it seems to make less un-even splothes than when I never used those tips (from previous products).
day 20: this has taken quite a turn for the worse... I always get splotches, so far I have used this a half dozen times now and... still? I even let it dry for an hour just to test this stuff out!!! Thats a lot of walking around in a bikini! my legs are horrid and arms.. nothing can be done to save this... what i thought was an olive brown shade was the color guide... but not the actual color you will become when you awake! I'm not lying when I woke up the next times after the first ones mentioned I was tangerine brown! And its disappointing because even with mucho practice I have felt confident putting this stuff on and I am all splotches (I don't even have them around my wrist where I wash the tan off and re-apply on backs of hands) my splotches are on my arms backs of legs stomac... ODD places because i stood and waited for exactly 1 hour timed ... it must be the formulation?! i recommend trying other products that are organic if that's what you prefer or rather clinique self sun products(my personal fave now being the one that is daily moisturizer self sun because this one is gradual and brown .. tried and tested for a very long while before trying this product)! good luck on the hunt ladies!
I hope you enjoyed the review!

on 4/13/2009 10:34:00 AM

I have tried many department store tanners and never paid attention to the ingredients until now. I researched more natural self tanners on Makeupalley and ran into Nature's Gate self-tanner. Like others, I love that it is paraben free.

The color is pretty nice! The trick is to apply regular lotion on your ankles, knees, elbows, and knuckles before applying the self tanner. Nature's Gate tanner has a slight color to it so you can see where you are applying it - thumbs up for that.

I always apply this on at night and give it 10-12 hours to soak in. It does have a funky stink but not as bad as department store tanners. I wouldn't go out in public with this self tanner on b/c of the distinct smell. Just take a shower that night, exfoliating your skin, get out and dry off, apply lotion on your ankles/knees, apply the self-tanner all over, let it dry for about 5 minutes, WASH your hands :) and get dressed. I usually wear shorts and a tshirt (loose clothing) to avoid messing up the tanner.

The tan DOES develop within 2-3 hours but it's deeper when you leave it on longer. When I wake up the next morning, I shower (to get rid of the smell), and I use my loofa to gently exfoliate my skin, focusing more on my ankles and knees where I don't want it to be dark. When I get out of the shower, my legs and the rest of my body look great!!

This tan usually lasts about 3-5 days on me, so I would recommend applying it once every few days. If you want a deep dark tan, you might want to apply it 2 days in a row, and once every few days. I've never tried to obtain a deep tan so I wouldn't really know for sure. I usually shave that morning when I wash off the self tanner and that has no effect on the results/or streaking. Shaving every day though may wear off the tanner faster.

This is not the cheapest tanner but if you're learning towards a more natural way to tan (and less risky way) - try Nature's Gate upper tanagement. I got 3 bottles from Whole Foods/Harry's Market, and b/c they didn't have it in stock, the employee was able to order me some!

on 4/9/2009 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

i have never used a sunless tanner. being a health freak, i decided to try this all-natural tanner. i LOVE the results. i have olive skin but on the lighter side since i live north and am not outside in the sun so much. at first it looked orange on my skin when i applied it before going to sleep, but in the morning it looked very natural. it also leaves a nice healthy-looking sheer. i used it everyday for 5 days and damn am i tan...i'm going to start using it every other day and see if i can get a less intense color. and make sure you rub it in REALLY WELL.

on 3/25/2009 11:55:00 AM

Wow! It seems that everyone is happy with this product. Being fair-skinned, I didn't want to be TOO "tan", and Nature's Gate Tanagement is perfect. I used it twice, and was a natural brown color (not orange like many are). You don't have to use a lot of product either. And, it's not streaky. I would definitely purchase this again. The #1 reason I bought this product, is that Nature's Gate states that they do not test on animals.

After trying many self-tanning lotions from various name brands, I was looking for a more natural version. When it comes to self tanning products, many of us share the same fear: looking orange! Not only does this product not make you look like a celebrity who has had one too many spray tans, but it has given my face and body a healthy, sun kissed glow. Like other tanning products, this does have a certain smell to it, but it isnít that bad and goes away after a while. I apply it about twice a week. Having pledged to minimize my sun-exposure--in hopes of preventing premature aging--Iím really thrilled to have stumbled across this self-tanner.

THIS STUFF IS GREAT! I love that is is all natural without parabens (preservatives). The color is the best out of all the others I have tried and the smell isn't too bad. It's a little bit pricey if your using it all over your body weekly, but worth it to be tan without getting cancer and wrinkles.

This creme works really good and it has some color, so you can see, where you applying it, I would recommend to put it in the evening and take a shower in the morning, this way it won't show on light color clothes. It looks really good on my fair skin, like light tropical tan, if you apply more within 2 days the color will be sure deeper. Looks quite natural! It's good for face too and I like it, because it has better ingredients then other brands.

on 7/27/2007 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love this product. Paraben free and nice price! I'm very pale and use this about every other day (or every third day) to get a nice "tan" on my legs and arms. I've found with other tanners, after a while, the tanner gets alot darker in the natural wrinkles in my arms, like where your arm bends. I'm 35 so I don't have many wrinkles but in my arm creases and knees, other self tanners start getting way dark and unnatural looking after a while. Like maybe too much buildup? Anywho, this product does not do that and a little goes a long way. I only use about a size of a quarter on each leg and maybe 1/2 that on my arms. Great ingredients also. I love products where you can actually pronounce most of the ingredients list!

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Finally! A self-tanner that doesn't have paraben preservatives. This is a light lotion that absorbs easily into the skin. Mychelle Del Sol is my favorite self-tanner (also paraben free) but it is pricey to use weekly all over my body. Upper Tanagement comes in a 6 oz tube for $10-12, compared to $12 for a 2.3 oz tube of Mychelle Del Sol. Two coats gets me about as dark as my fair skin would naturally tan. After that, I reapply 1 coat every 5- days to keep the tan going.