Fyrinnae Loose Powder in Fire Opal

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Greyish coppery brown, i SUPPOSE. Hard to pin down. Sounds complicated, yet it's so well-blended that it's more subtle than stark. It makes my brown eyes look so pretty.
I used it with lots of eyeliner and a bit of Te Amo.
Made for a really *smouldering* look, reminiscent of Monica Bellucci.
Except poor Monica, face of boring old Dior, doesn't seem to know about Fyrinnae, so her makeup will never be so special.

on 12/25/2011 11:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this eyeshadow SO much it's kind of ridiculous. On me, it shows as a bright orange-gold (when applied wet or over Pixie Epoxy) when hit by direct light. It goes to a sort of darkened bronze when in shadow, and if applied dry or without any sort of sticky base, is a multi-tonal grey with flashes of orange. This, at least, is how it showed up on me--black eyelashes, dark brown eyes, light-olive skin tone. I'd definitely recommend this if you're into "autumn" sort of colors--the burnished gold along with the grey kind of screams campfire or autumn leaves changing color--or if you're into one of those shadows you can brush on that look like two or three colors blended together. It really is an easy effortless way to have stunningly beautiful eye makeup :)

on 1/16/2011 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Rave rave rave rave rave! Well in reality I really have to rave about ALL of Fyrinnae's eyeshadows! I love em all. Today I decided to use Fire Opal, hence the review. It is just so gorgeous! The last reviewer posted a pic that shows this shade pretty faithfully, so I won't describe it. Well I will, it's like this burnished gold/bronzy/coppery tone with a dark base. I followed the suggestions of other MUA'ers here and applied it alone over primer. I use Vaseline as a primer, just the teentsiest tiny little dab of Vaseline, almost like nothing, is enough. However using Vaseline makes it difficult to blend these shadows, so I prefer to use them alone. One day I'll master the technique of blending with Vaseline as a primer (it's quite sticky so doesn't blend well), and then for sure I'll make some more exciting looks combining shadows!

on 9/27/2009 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I'm very happy that I bought a full-size of this color; it's appearance is just like that of the picture on Fyrinnae and looks stunning on my blue eyes. Today I just brushed this color across my lids with nothing but a primer, and had a coworker comment on how I must spend a lot of time to get my eyeshadow to look so great; she thought I was wearing multiple shades when it was simply fire opal instead ;)

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Amazing! I can normally not wear reds, purple, or orange toned eyeshadows, but this is different. It's a grey slate brown base with a gorgeous orangey overlay. Makes my dark brown eyes pop. I dab it on lightly over a clear primer (UD PRIMER POTION) and the result is absolutely amazing.

on 2/13/2008 12:13:00 AM

This review isn't about this particular color, but about these eye shadows in general. I really like the blendability and layering ability of loose shadows, and this is the best loose shadow I've ever used.

It is finely milled and goes on great! The colors are wonderful, too. I love the photos of each color, both wet and dry, on an actual person.

My only gripe is the length of order fulfillment - I ordered December 13 and just got my shadows on February 8. I'd rather see them raise their prices slightly and hire more help to ship faster. There are some other colors I want to try, but will wait until turnaround time is decreased.

But, I have to say - these definitely were worth waiting for!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love fyrinnae products in general, and fire opal is one of my favorite shades of their eye shadows. The site describes the base color as dove gray, but in my experience it was a little more brown than what I would call dove gray. It was still grayish enough for someone like me who doesn't wear much brown, though. The glowy, shimmery part to the eye shadow is exactly as described - this kind of orangey glow. I think ImCastingMagicMissiles described it as being like a campfire dying down, and that is v. accurate. I use this as shadow all over the lid with Bastet as a liner for a dramatic, smoky look, or wet as a liner by itself for daytime. Love this.

Interestingly, all three of the color descriptions below work. Yes, this color is that complex. It reminds me of when a campfire is dying down... lots of greyish brown ash but still a few glowing pieces benieth it all. For this reason, Fire Opal looks especially great with golds, coppers, browns, and oranges. It wears very well, like other Fyrinnae eyeshadows, and I often don't need a base, despite having oily eyelids.

This is a beautiful and unique eyeshadow. It's a shimmery grayish bronze. It looks gorgeous if you use it wet as a liner. Then it looks like a metallic bronze. It also makes a pretty lipgloss color. I will repurchase this one.

on 6/17/2007 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love Olivia's description of the color below, so I will just say '2nd!" It is simply lovely, and totally unique. I have fair, neutral skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, and it works so well with my coloring. I would love to see this on green eyes!

I want to emphasize that even though it has "red" in the description, this isn't a product to immediately run from. I say this because I usually must avoid red/pink toned e/s like the plague...I can't get near MAC Cranberry, Sketch, Trax, (or even Mulch) etc. The way it plays with the grayed down copper, it just seems to work. A sample size (which is more than generous!) is just $1.50, so it's worth a try!