Fyrinnae Loose Powder in Fire Opal

Price: $

Price: $

on 6/17/2007 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love Olivia's description of the color below, so I will just say '2nd!" It is simply lovely, and totally unique. I have fair, neutral skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, and it works so well with my coloring. I would love to see this on green eyes!

I want to emphasize that even though it has "red" in the description, this isn't a product to immediately run from. I say this because I usually must avoid red/pink toned e/s like the plague...I can't get near MAC Cranberry, Sketch, Trax, (or even Mulch) etc. The way it plays with the grayed down copper, it just seems to work. A sample size (which is more than generous!) is just $1.50, so it's worth a try!

This is a beautiful and unique eyeshadow. It's a shimmery grayish bronze. It looks gorgeous if you use it wet as a liner. Then it looks like a metallic bronze. It also makes a pretty lipgloss color. I will repurchase this one.

Interestingly, all three of the color descriptions below work. Yes, this color is that complex. It reminds me of when a campfire is dying down... lots of greyish brown ash but still a few glowing pieces benieth it all. For this reason, Fire Opal looks especially great with golds, coppers, browns, and oranges. It wears very well, like other Fyrinnae eyeshadows, and I often don't need a base, despite having oily eyelids.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This is not that great. Of all the fyrinnae shdows i recently purchased, this is the one i was most excited about, and most dissappointed with. It's not at all the swatch they have on the website, at least not on me. I tried it with a base, and its kind of a muddy grey/bronze color. BAD muddy. I really wanted this to be awesome too.....i'm so disappoined.....

on 11/29/2007 1:46:00 PM

I wanted to like this color so MUCH! It appears muddy on my eyes and looks more gold/orange than grey most of the time. Orange sheen all over and very sheer even with UDPP.
If I wanted orange sheen that I could just buy Fire and Brimstone from theshespace.com.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love fyrinnae products in general, and fire opal is one of my favorite shades of their eye shadows. The site describes the base color as dove gray, but in my experience it was a little more brown than what I would call dove gray. It was still grayish enough for someone like me who doesn't wear much brown, though. The glowy, shimmery part to the eye shadow is exactly as described - this kind of orangey glow. I think ImCastingMagicMissiles described it as being like a campfire dying down, and that is v. accurate. I use this as shadow all over the lid with Bastet as a liner for a dramatic, smoky look, or wet as a liner by itself for daytime. Love this.

on 2/13/2008 12:13:00 AM

This review isn't about this particular color, but about these eye shadows in general. I really like the blendability and layering ability of loose shadows, and this is the best loose shadow I've ever used.

It is finely milled and goes on great! The colors are wonderful, too. I love the photos of each color, both wet and dry, on an actual person.

My only gripe is the length of order fulfillment - I ordered December 13 and just got my shadows on February 8. I'd rather see them raise their prices slightly and hire more help to ship faster. There are some other colors I want to try, but will wait until turnaround time is decreased.

But, I have to say - these definitely were worth waiting for!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

What I have learned about Fyrinnae's shadows is that to truly see the complexity of the colors. . you need a base of something. A paint or a fluidline or even apply wet and then apply again over the wet with a dry brush and shadow. This color has been described beautifully in the other reviews. It is amazing and unique and I have to say that I crave this color in other products (like nailpolish)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This is a beautiful, and strange, color. Hard to describe really. Like a lot of the Fyrinnae darker colors, it has a dark base and a different colored overlay. This base is a dark brown-grey that ends up looking more grey on me. The previous reviewer is correct, in that most mineral eyeshadows and Fyrinnae's darker ones, in particular, need a base. I used HiP paint in Secretive with this. I first applied Envy Me on the lid and this in the crease/outer V. I have found that I needed to foil it to really make the burnt-metallic orange overlay come out. It does look like embers if you foil it. Very unique-definitely more grey than brown, with this unique burnt-metallic orange overlay, but looks dry, not wet. Very interesting color, but a little hard to work with because of the extremely dark base. Get a good blending brush. I used this today with Envy Me on the lid, this in the half-crease/outer V; and Camelot as a highlight. I used Alima's shimmer liner shadow in Koan on the top lashline and it's a gorgeous color combination. I'll probably want a full size of this, because the color is so unique.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Amazing! I can normally not wear reds, purple, or orange toned eyeshadows, but this is different. It's a grey slate brown base with a gorgeous orangey overlay. Makes my dark brown eyes pop. I dab it on lightly over a clear primer (UD PRIMER POTION) and the result is absolutely amazing.