MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

I love all things MAC. Every product I've tried never let me down. This product gives full coverage & it feels so smooth on your skin.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I hate that I love this foundation. I have NC20 (what I am most of the time), NC25, NC35, and I think C2 depending on what time of year I need to wear this. MAC went back to testing on animals to break into the Chinese market (their laws require it) so after my MAC products run out I'm not buying more. It's for this reason I'm giving this product a 4/5.

As for it's performance, however, it never fails to blend seamlessly with or without primer on me. I love that I can build the coverage by using a wet or dry sponge as well. I tend to use a full coverage kabuki brush and really pack it down on areas I need more coverage because the color and coverage are smoothing in areas I have texture. I will say that you should exfoliate before using this if you have dry skin just like with any foundation. I don't find that it oxidizes, but it can get cakey if applied over a liquid foundation because it has a much thicker texture than, say, Charlotte Tilbury's Airbrush Flawless Finish powder. Where CT's powder does not provide coverage and is wonderful to set liquid foundations, this powder acts as an "all in one" kind of product and should not be used to set liquids unless you want an extremely full coverage, mask-like finish, which is great for stage makeup but not real life.

I really wish I could continue to use MAC products but as long as they continue to abide by these heinous animal testing laws, I just can't get behind their brand.

on 8/29/2018 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Never ever again. One of the worst Mac products. Leaves you looking oily, cakey and orange like a tangerine cos it oxidizes on your face. And please do not use this to set foundation cos this is a powder foundation itself not a setting powder to be used on top of liquid foundation.

on 8/23/2018 7:59:00 AM

I’ve tried quite possibly every top branded makeup over the last few years. At 30 I still suffer with break outs and have oily teenage skin. I tried four different makeup artists for my wedding makeup and the winner was MAC. This foundation with a setting spray kept me matte all day even in the heat, I’ve just purchased it myself and on day three I absolutely love it. No going back for me!

This one is a must-have on my makeup kit. I don't use much makeup on a daily basis and this one is definitely doing its job when it comes to basic coverage. I love it.

on 8/14/2018 8:47:00 PM

I started using this with my Kat Von D foundation after I ran out of translucent powder and it was awful. It just added weight to my face and after a couple hours with my makeup on it just started to look super cakey. Anyway, one day I was in a hurry and didn’t want to use foundation so I just use the powder by itself and OMG it’s amazing. It actually has nice coverage which is why I think it looks horrible with a full coverage foundation so overall I think is a good product, you just have to know what products work along this one.

on 8/5/2018 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I color matched myself for this purchase since my local Ulta stores don't carry MAC and there's no MAC store in my area. I have dry aging skin and I like the quick convenience of a powder foundation, especially in the summer. I picked NW34 which is great for now when my skin is a bit tan although it might be too deep for winter, but I generally need a creamy foundation then anyway. I use MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation over my moisturizer and sunscreen. It covers well by itself when I'm in a hurry but when I want to look extra polished, I use primer and MAC Pro Longwear concealer underneath. Either way I mist it with MAC Fix+ and sometimes an additional setting spray like UD All Nighter. The coverage is seamless and natural, not too matte but not illuminating either, just a smooth, natural finish. I really like it and will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

At last! One of the few MAC foundations I hadn't gotten around to trying, but as of this week I finally gave it a whirl. As someone with a skin type that veers towards 'oily' during the warmest months it's reassuring to know there is a foundation - in my exact skin tone that gives excellent, buildable coverage, minimizes my pores & any fine lines, and does not end up looking shiny by the end of the day. It is also long lasting...personally I don't apply foundation daily so I'm figuring this will last a minimum of 12 months if not longer. For those who use daily expect to get in 8-10 months of usage. As it can look slightly cakey I always use a couple of spritzes of Fix+ to solve that and I'm all set!

A tip: I've been noticing other reviews where they mention this foundation not being able to cover blemishes. If you need to cover the odd blemish, rather than repeatedly going over that area with 'Powder Plus' - which can end up looking too heavy if over applied, I would definitely suggest the Studio Finish Concealer by MAC. All you need is a tiny 2mm wide brush (even a craft store paint brush will do) that you can dab the concealer on with and voila - instant pin-point precision and complete coverage. And not just blemishes but even several small beauty spots I've been able to cover like this and have been doing successfully for years (friends & family actually have no idea I have beauty spots on my face!) A dot of setting powder on top if you want to ensure it doesn't transfer, but if you're like me and literally never touch your face the powder is not necessary.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled many 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the original OG of powder foundations. And it's a multi-tasker which is awesome. In the summertime my skin is normal slightly oily in t-zone. I wear this powder to work and day to day. It holds up in the heat (And I'm in Texas), looks flawless and stays put. The secret is to use a flat kabuki brush if you want medium to full coverage. I press it on first all over my face then go back and buff it in all over... It's always in my bag even if I am trying out something else. I would say if you are dry to moisturize real well before hand and then once it soaks in buffing should not be an issue. Then set it with some finishing spray and you are good to go for the day!! I love this stuff. <3

I cant say enough about this product. It is my absolute go-to holy grail powder. It can be worn as a full face foundation or just lightly applied with a makeup brush for effective coverage. It does run a bit pricey (close to $40 canadian) but it does last me a long time. I have tried drug store powders, which only seem to work well as a finishing powder to set makeup, nothing compares to Studio Fix. On days when im in a rush, which is most days with having two kids, i use my powder brush and it takes me two minutes to get a great complexion! love love love this. quit your hunt, buy this!!