Mountain Ocean Skin Trip Coconut Lotion

Mountain Ocean Skin Trip Coconut Lotion

4.7

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Purified water, coconut oil, aloe juice, hybrid safflower oil, sorbitol, stearic acid, behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alchohol, emulsifying wax, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, linoleamidopropyl PG-dimonium chloride phosphate, dicetyldimonium chloride, lanolin alcohol, benzethonium chloride and fragrance.

on 4/10/2017 1:56:00 PM

I'm late to the game here, but this stuff is good. An (adorably retro looking) 8oz bottle is about $10-11. It's intensely scented - to me (or at least ON me) it has an undertone of burnt coconut vs. a straight up beachy aroma. I like it because it cuts the sweetness a bit and smells more authentic than your standard "summer" scented products. This isn't a very rich lotion but it's definitely hydrating. The texture is kind of runny and pleasurable to apply. My skin just DRINKS this up. It absorbs and dries, leaving nothing but a clean & smooth feeling/texture.

The scent lasts all day. Prepare to have everyone's nose all up in your biz. Plus, it's just a cool product and I feel like I just vibe with it as weird as that sounds.

on 11/23/2016 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Mountain Ocean Skin Trip is hands down my favourite body lotion. At any given time, I have numerous bottles open around the house. Right now, there's one sitting by me in my living room, another in my bedroom, and another 2 or 3 in the bathroom cabinet. Yes, I dabble in other body moisturisers (Embryolisse Lait-Fluide is my go-to when I have eczema flare ups or seriously parched skin, and Aesop's body balms are heavenly although so expensive I feel compelled to ration my use of them). But Mountain Ocean Skin Trip is where my heart really lies - if I'm travelling, you can bet there's a bottle in my suitcase. I never run low because I am so obsessed with this stuff that I buy it in multi-packs and basically stockpile it like some crazy doomsday preparer.

The best thing about Skin Trip is its texture. It has a silky, light consistency, somewhere in between a gel and a lotion, that feels dreamy to rub into your skin. This is especially great for summer because it has a cooling feel to it and is very soothing on sunburned skin (to which I plead guilty). For winter, you may want something a bit richer and more occlusive if your skin has a tendency to dryness.. However, I've used this in desert climates and found it more than hydrating for my easily dehydrated, sometimes flaky skin. For a lotion that's so lightweight and that absorbs so quickly, Skin Trip really delivers in terms of moisture. It sinks into your skin almost immediately and seems to really 'lock' the moisture in if that makes sense. There's so stickiness or tacky film left behind either. It completely absorbs within minutes. If you find most body moisturisers greasy and unpleasant to use, this is the one for you.

The one thing I'd recommend keeping in mind is that this is very heavy on the coconut scent. I personally love it and I've lost track of the number of friends who've caught a whiff of it and were like "what IS that amazing smell??" and went out and bought it too. BUT if you don't like coconut, stay away because this doesn't play around and the scent does linger.

Pros:
- light, non-greasy texture that instantly absorbs
- very hydrating and soothing
- great for after sun or post shaving
- very affordable
- the trippy design on the bottle (love)
- practical, lightweight bottle which is good for travel

Cons:
- if you hate coconut, stay far away
- may not be moisturising enough during winter time
- highly addictive

Last thing to note: ingredients. So in general, I think labelling products as 'natural'/'organic' and therefore 'good' is an iffy thing to do. I have no interest in 'green beauty' for the sake of it. If the product performs, great, I'll use it but I don't restrict myself to green brands. The ingredients in Mountain Ocean Skin Trip probably don't meet the (very nebulous) definition of organic/green. I've listed the ingredients below and as you can see, there are some silicones and also lanolin alcohol. I don't have issues with lanolin at all - it's hypoallergenic and soothing - but I understand why some people do.

Grade: A+

Ingredients: Purified Water, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Carthamus Tinctorius Seed Oil, Sorbitol, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Dimethicone, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Caprylyl Glycol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Lanolin Alcohol, Fragrance

on 4/1/2015 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this product. It's definitely not the most moisturizing lotion I've ever used, but it smells so good and feels so clean on my skin that I will continue to repurchase it. I appreciate how this is made with fresh ingredients and not with a bunch of potentially toxic chemicals, like a lot of beauty products.

Because it's not that moisturizing, I tend to just use it as a hand lotion or on my elbows and knees throughout the day. I have eczema-prone skin, and this did not help it much but it definitely did not irritate it. The texture is not greasy and absorbs very quickly without making your skin feel dry. However, I didn't feel that the moisturization had a very long duration.

The smell is amazing and not too overpowering. I also wish the bottle were slightly bigger!

on 2/7/2014 7:17:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Most perfume gives me a headache, so I am always on the lookout for scented lotions that double as fragrance. This lightweight lotion has a subtle, clean, almost powdery/milky coconut smell-- not too cloying or sweet, unlike most of the coconut scented lotions i've sampled. The only downside: the bottle is pretty small (8.5oz for around $11 at drugstore.com).

I did not buy this for its moisturizing properties but it does that quite well, especially given how thin/light it feels. I have repurchased this once already, and i'm sure I will again once my second bottle runs out.

on 2/1/2014 4:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I think if this product didn't have certain questionable ingredients on the list (for being "organic") I would give it a 5. I'm not a total weirdo when it comes to this chemical stuff, but I definitely am a bit more aware than I was before! I tend to use highly scented/high chemical lotions as a perfume more lol. If I am slathering it all over my body I get a bit more sketchy. The smell is awesome lemme tell you. Texture is more soupy or watery, not thick and creamy which if you don't care isn't a big deal. The bottle is fine I guess too, I prefer tubs but again pretty watery although I think a pump would be a bit better for this. If you love coconut smells, this is awesome! I just say that if they are going to push organic they should revise their formulation a bit more. It's a little pricier compared to other organic brands as well, roughly 9-10 bucks. But over all not a bad addition to the collection ^___^

on 11/24/2013 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Was looking for natural alternative to my cera ve cream and started using this! Oh my god!!!!! It's a bottle of silk coconut heaven! Love it soo much it's my favorite body moisturizer I will forever buy this it's light smells amazing and works grate

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased this on a whim attempting to reach a 'free shipping' minumum while shopping online lol. I love coconut anything, and had recently discovered the benefits of coconut oil internally and topically, so I figured I would give it a shot.
To be honest, I HATE the smell... but the benefits out weight that. This lotion sinks in IMMEDIATELY. It makes skin soft, supple and very smooth. Very hydrated... It completely irradicated the bumps on my arms and legs. I also had a nasty scar from a recent cut on my arm. I massaged this in 2 times a day and within a week it was almost completely gone. I didn't think in the beginning I would purchase this again... but I am sold on this product. Don't know if they make a fragrance-free version, but I will def be keeping my eye open for it. But overall it is well worth the price tag (around $8).

This is very similar to Eucerin calming creme in the sense that it has just the right amount of absorption: it doesn't sink away so that you feel like you never applied anything at all, but it doesn't sit on top of the skin and feel greasy. It makes your skin feel very soft and moisturized, but it probably won't be suitable for very dry skin types, in winter months at least.
This has a really lovely, milky-soft coconut scent, as others have said. No excessively dessert-y or artificial tropical fragrance here. It will likely only complement other fragrances you apply; this is what I've found. I put this on yesterday and my boyfriend probably commented about five times over the course of the day on how good I smelled.
I live in Canada and it's sort of a bummer how hard it is to find here. I had to buy it at Whole Foods on a trip to the States. But I'll probably just order it online when I need to...it's that good. If you decide to do this, buy more than one bottle. I've had mine for two months and it's more than half way finished with regular use. Vitacost has very good prices (I have no affiliation with them, fwiw).
The packaging is very cute and slightly hippie, maybe tiki-ish...if I were a beauty editor I'd probably deem it stoner-chic.

on 7/21/2013 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My 50+ dry skin adores this lotion. It's the only thing I've ever found that makes my skin feel like I think skin should feel - moist, supple, soft - as opposed to thicker lotions that seem to sit on the surface and feel icky. Skin Trip is what skin moisturization should be! Some people aren't crazy about the light scent, and it's a matter of opinion, but I think the milky coconut smell is divine. This is a lotion I repurchase again and again. Reasonably priced at DrVita.

on 4/28/2013 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I really like this body lotion's consistency - really light and spreadable, absorbs quickly, but still really significantly moisturizing. my skin's texture is lovely after this and my skin feels very soothed - it's great for after shaving. my skin's a little sensitive but this leaves it feeling very comfortable.

all that being said, i definitely feel it's more of a summer lotion if you have slightly dry skin like me. during the winter i prefer something thicker. i live in new orleans and it handles the humidity well, i feel clean and soft as opposed to greasy. it's also comforting for after being in the sun too long.

the scent is an enjoyable, true coconut. it doesn't smell unnatural in any way, so if you enjoy the scent of coconut oil(i usually do) then you'll like it.
the coconut definitely lingers, however. if you'd rather smell like something else you won't have much luck. for this reason i really wish there was an unscented variety for the times i'd prefer to wear a perfume, etc.

the packaging is fine - a simple flip cap and plastic squeeze bottle make it very portable. my only gripe is that i can't find it in a size bigger than 8 oz, and i go through it fairly quickly! the price is decent but it would be even more so if the bottle was bigger.

Popular Lotions / Creams