Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.7

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

I bought a one time use sample of this treatment a few years ago, but procrastinated actually using it because the steps seemed so drawn out, and I was freaked out by the idea of my hair breaking off. I dye my own hair from medium brown to blonde, and my ends can get very parched and visibly damaged. Recently it was getting so bad that I decided to take the plunge.

The steps were less annoying and the process was less time consuming than I expected. I will recommend that when you apply the protein treatment, don't let your hair lay down your back while it dries. My hair was down my back and as it hardened and stuck to my skin, I could feel each little movement I made was tugging on the hair.

I won't go into more details about the steps because others have written much more detailed and knowledgeable how-tos, and I pretty much followed their steps and advice to a tee.

The results: initially I really thought the treatment didn't make any difference. I typically smother my hair with cones in order to look presentable, and so it's not until the second or third day after washing, blow drying, and applying the products that conceal the damage, that my hair begins to show its true, strawlike nature. It was around then on the second or third day that I noticed this *did* make a difference, my hair looked less damaged than usual, the ends looked more smooth and healthy.

That said, the results of this treatment were nowhere near as amazing as I expected from reading the reviews. It improved the damage, yes, but I'm not entirely sure I think it's worth the time, effort, and risk of breaking off your hair if you do the steps wrong. I'm not sure if the effects of this treatment are cumulative, but I do plan to buy another sample and test this out again soon to see if the results are better. I'll update my review if things change.

on 3/30/2017 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been aware of this product and its rave reviews for probably 7 years and never used it. I want to go back in time and shake myself. For some reason I didn't think this could be that much better than K-Pak, and I had already tried Olaplex. Y'all...this is so much better than K-Pak and Olaplex doesn't do the same thing at all, those do the equivalent of nothing compared to this. I can play with my hair without it instantly turning into a tangled nasty mess for the first time in years. YEARS. I have the most overprocessed hair ever. I'm as picky about color as I am indecisive about it, and at one point I tried to force myself to stop changing my hair color by committing to a henna/indigo dark brown. This just resulted in me desperately bleaching the living hell out of it, and it is now platinum. It's probably been bleached all over 7 times. Even before that it was already very damaged, so I am an extreme case.

This stuff makes my hair behave like genuinely healthy hair. There is zero silicone on my hair right now and I can't stop running my finger through it, it's so smooth. I followed the directions to a T. I did use a spray bottle to apply it more evenly (helps a ton) and I used an inflatable hood dryer (highly recommend these) til my hair was bone dry. My hair felt like a wicker basket. I thoroughly rinsed it out and then used a light detangling type conditioner (not the accompanying conditioner, way too fragranced and I'm sensitive), and threw some avocado oil on the ends. Nothing fancy, no cones, and my hair feels comparable to its virgin condition. A lot of curly haired girls say this stuff returned their curl pattern, well this returned mine too only my curl pattern is just straight lol. It doesn't have that telltale overlightened wavy, fluffy thing going on anymore. It's only like 4 bucks for the packet at Sallys so you have nothing to lose. I plan on buying the biggest size next time. if your hair is chemically treated you can't afford not to buy this stuff, it makes everything else look like a joke.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have not yet used and need some help. I got hair done at salon and was bleached in 6 applications one day and then another application one week later period 3 weeks after that I went to the spa and she said instead of doing the roots that I should actually get a perm because she didn't want to perm it after she did another dose of color to do my roots. Well Kama it almost fell out altogether. I lost a lot of hair. Now it is all Gummy around the crowd only. Everywhere else and even when the ground dries, it is very very hard and stiff and breaks. I went and got a Redken shot at my local salon and then I bought the entire extreme line including the shots so I can do all this at home. I also purchased this. I have only had one Redken shot so far but I'm kind of scared to use this product. I'm afraid to use it because I have begun using the Redken extreme line for 1 secondly the lower half of my hair isn't that damaged period not like the top. Should I do this product only on the crown of my head head where the most damage is? Any help would be appreciated. The Stylist that I went to I need to add told me that I don't need any of this stuff. I just don't see how that's possible because my hair is completely gone and takes 8 or 9 hours to drive around my head and is the most damaged I've ever seen it in my life

on 6/18/2015 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I finally had to give in and buy Aphogee because I was spending lots on money on masks, oils, treatments, leave-ins etc etc, tons of trips to Sally's trying to find a solution for my beat up hair . I was really afraid to try this because people make it sound something out of a scary movie, I read tons on reviews and followed the instructions to a T, in my experience the smell was pretty offensive and the product was really runny, in the advise of another Muaer I put step 1 in a spray bottle (which towards the end the liquid foamed up inside the spray bottle and became super sticky, very hard to apply) and used a trash bag as a shirt. Left it on for one hour and blasted on a off with my blow drier, the most damaged parts (bangs, tips of hair on the back) took the longest to dry, I jumped in the shower and let the warm water wash the product out for 3-5 minutes until the hair softened up, put step #2, massaged and let it sit for about 5 minutes, rinsed and used Aussie 3 minute miracle but I found out that just the Aphogee conditioner would have been enough. In the shower I saw that my hair still looked and felt mushy and stringy but it dried out soft and shiny and it wasn't sticking to my arms/skin, today it looks healthy, a lot less frizzy, feels a little stronger and I got my wavy hair back (I airdried it) is not a total fix, I would say that it improved the look of my hair about 80%, it doesn't look fried anymore but I still don't feel confident to wear it down or heat style it, for hair damaged from bleach and toners like mine the only solution is a haircut, which I don't want, will do a second treatment in 6 weeks, someone mentioned that it took her hair four treatments to have her damaged bleached hair back to normal, so I have a very long journey of about six months ahead, will continue updating.
Update: One week later and hair still spongy in the shower but is not stretchy, dries out faster and got more waves, it's a little on the dry side as I anticipated, will continue with moisture treatments. Three weeks later and my hair feels like a need a treatment already but I don't have zig zaggy, crunchy, funky ends and I was able to keep my length, I don't even need a trim yet, I blew dried my hair but I still don't think my hair is ready for that, still takes a long time to dry and has that weird texture that bleached hair has after the shower, from root to shoulders looks repaired, the ends still look sad.
UPDATE: 6 weeks later and did my second treatment, this time I bought it directly from Sally's and it had no horrible smell at all, will never buy it from Ebay again, that stuff was rancid and probably expired, application this time was much easier, the product wasn't so sticky and I was able to apply it a lot easier, added water to my spray bottle and the product worked out a lot better, blew dried my hair and to my surprise it got crunchy and dry in 25-30 minutes (last application even after one hour my hair was still damp) air dried outside the rest of the time because it was 100F, ended leaving it on for one hour and a half, after I washed out the product I could see that my hair strands didn't have that weird S texture and that the strands were not attaching to each other, a true miracle considering that I have been battling with that since February, used their conditioner with a little bit of Blonde Brilliance warm toned conditioner and it made my hair soft like silk, after the shower my hair looked brand new, no more zig zaggy pattern, my hair wasn't sticking to my arms/skin anymore, air dried in only a couple of hours, don't see a wave pattern this time but my hair looks like it had never touched bleach, I feel like I can heat style my hair again! This could be my last treatment.
Edit: I had a little set back, I had to dye my hair because this treatment made my blonde the color of pee, I had to put some ash back in it and my hair feels extremely soft, like when you have damage and hair feels slimy and soft when wet, I only left the color for 25 minutes. I stopped using protein masks because at this point my hair has enough protein, I started with moisture masks and my hair has a ton of wave and volume again.
October: my hair was getting so crazy tangled that I would wake up with giant mats even though I sleep with a satin bonnet, no detangler or deep conditioner, masks were helping either, when your bleached hair does that is because it needs protein so I decided to go to Sally's and do a treatment, I put on a homemade plastic bib and applied it on towel dried hair, dried it with the blow dryer and it was almost dry in 20 minutes, left it on for one hour and 20 minutes, left the moisturizing conditioner for another hour and my hair came out silky and shiny, like virgin hair

on 3/29/2015 10:52:00 PM

Like others post, some are using this product incorrectly. With proper use it is a decent product. I went from black and dark red hair to blonde. Wanted a product to prevent breakage and drying, and this does good. It doesnt smell great, but it isnt as awful as others proclaim. It also does take time, since hair needs to be washed and dried 2x.

on 3/1/2015 1:39:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

My hair has been through hell and back with bleach. Currently, after having dyed my hair a ginger color close to my natural, I'm now bleaching everything to get it light enough to put green over. Any of y'all with curly hair may or may not have been through the horror of having bleached your hair and seeing that it's completely zapped most, if not all, of your natural curl pattern from your locks. Surprise surprise, happened to me for the second time during my lightening quest.

Admittedly, I was skeptical of this system. I'd heard the rave reviews, sure, but still skeptical. Went to Sally's the other day and decided to try it. Picked up the mini bottle of the protein stuff and full-sized conditioner (I mean honestly, one of the packets wasn't going to saturate my hair and at $3.99 per little packet, may as well just get the bottle for a bit more with more product in it.) I figured that even if it didn't work miracles, I could still use it as a protein treatment now and again.

Yada yada, my hair was washed the night before so I didn't bother shampooing it, just wet it in the sink, combed it through. Sectioned my hair off, saturated each bit with it (I didn't get it DRIPPING with product, but enough to get it all covered and good), plunked down on the bathroom floor with my laptop and a blow dryer set on warm and medium power for the next half hour, moving it slowly around my head, feeling it get all cemented and hard.

After it was all dried in and then some, hopped in the shower, let it soften under the water a bit, did the conditioner, and waited to see what results I would get. And, may I just say: holy hell.

My hair feels fantastic. Every little strand that my curl had disappeared from because of the bleach sprung back to life with their coils and curls. Hardly any hair at all coming off in my comb. Even feels a bit thicker? I'm impressed.

The smell of the yellow liquidy protein stuff isn't honestly THAT bad. I see some people describing it as the worst thing they've ever smelled in their life, but really...I've smelled far worse sniffs in my life. Yeah, it's not pleasant, but it's not strong enough or smelly enough to make me gag or anything. I'd rather take in multiple whiffs of this than breathe in the Color Oops smell.

Your hair does get pretty rock-hard, so be careful and don't agitate it. None of my hair snapped off when it got shuffled around, but be careful just in case. It's very runny and liquidy, and spread easily through my hair to get everything covered.

I'm not sure what else to say about this other than that it's amazing. I'm definitely going to be doing this every 6 weeks, and plan to splurge on the big bottle of the protein treatment when I use up the little one. My hair feels healthy, strong, and down to get the friction on (I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I had to).

I'm just really excited about this. I wasn't expecting to get my curl back until my hair grew out, so I'm surprised. I feel like I've just hit the jackpot having this in my hair care arsenal.

on 11/24/2014 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Absolutely amazing!!! I was recommended this product by a SA at Sally's Beauty when looking for something to help my extremely dry, wild curly hair. I color my hair every couple months due to premature graying, and I use a hairdryer occasionally. I watched multiple videos on YouTube and decided to take the plunge yesterday. I'm not going to lie, it smells rank (like rotted Apple cider vinegar). It did burn my scalp a little in the back for the first few minutes. I used my hand-held hair dryer, as it dries it makes your hair very stiff/hard. Everyone was adamant about not messing with your hair as it dries because it could actually snap! After gently rinsing the protein out in the shower I applied the second step, the moisturizing treatment and left it on a few minutes. I styled my hair as usual & wow what a difference!!! I will continue to use this every 6 weeks as recommended. I can feel a difference on each strand of hair, it went from rough and uneven to smooth. This product truly is amazing.

on 10/5/2014 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is really, really great. I am bi-racial with 3A-3C, previously bleached and currently color-treated hair. This treatment actually makes my hair feel like it did prior to any processing. My curls stay tight and smooth when I don't straighten, and when I do, it's sleek like a professional blowout. I use step 1 for about an hour until my hair is hard like glass, rinse well, apply step 2, and wrap my hair overnight.
I buy the one-use packets, and it seems no matter how well I shake them up, there's always some separation of the product at the bottom. I just squirt all of it in my hair and lather it like I do shampoo and that seems to get it evenly distributed.
Give this a shot. It was a lifesaver after a relaxer overprocessed and left me shedding like a cat. In the 8 or so months since I started using these (every 6 weeks), I've gained about 5 inches of length... and I was one of those girls who was convinced my hair didn't grow!

Do this treatment while your man's out of the house. The smell almost knocked him flat out! But it's definitely worth it =)

First, I want to start out by saying I have never come across a product I have ever wanted to write a review about, until now!! I absolutely looooove this product and I am hooked after using it for the first time! I had over processed hair from lightening and then going back dark and it was fried from heat. My hair was stringy and felt disgusting when wet. I was able to stretch my hair like a rubber band, but it wouldn't return to it's normal shape. Instead it would just fall off. I was ready to give up until I decided to give this stuff a get and I'm so happy I did. The smell is pretty extreme and took some time to get over, but the results are worth it! My hair is so incredibly soft now, a lot less breakage, better elasticity, and doesn't feel as terrible when wet! I had amazing results just from my first use so I'm so excited to see how my hair will be after a few more uses in the next couple months! If you're about to give up like me please try this product first!!! It was a life saver!

My hair type: Long, naturally straight, dry'ish, and my bangs constantly break from styling

So far I do like this product. I did everything as instructed this morning and my hair is in the process of drying and it does feel stronger. I want to give it a couple more washes before I can really know how my hair adjusts to it. I will update my experience.

The reason I purchased this protein treatment was due to the fact that my bangs breaking constantly from heat damage and because my hair is long, so it is lost protein over the years, which is where this protein packed treatment would hopefully come in to play.

I will use a lot of moisture in my hair for the next week or so since there needs to be a balance between protein and moisture so that your hair will feel great.

*****PS Buy this online, it is cheaper than Sallys!

UPDATE: Well I gave it another couple washes and I do believe it has helped my hair in many ways. I has helped to build some of the lost protien in my long hair, it has helped reduce tangles, greatly reduced frizziness in my hair and has helped my reducing hair breakage. I would definitely give this another go. I plan on doing this is another two weeks or so, even though it recommends every six weeks, but we will see how my hair continues to act. Overall it is wonderful and I would recommend anyone with hair in general use it lol.