Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.9

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 3/1/2015 1:39:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

My hair has been through hell and back with bleach. Currently, after having dyed my hair a ginger color close to my natural, I'm now bleaching everything to get it light enough to put green over. Any of y'all with curly hair may or may not have been through the horror of having bleached your hair and seeing that it's completely zapped most, if not all, of your natural curl pattern from your locks. Surprise surprise, happened to me for the second time during my lightening quest.

Admittedly, I was skeptical of this system. I'd heard the rave reviews, sure, but still skeptical. Went to Sally's the other day and decided to try it. Picked up the mini bottle of the protein stuff and full-sized conditioner (I mean honestly, one of the packets wasn't going to saturate my hair and at $3.99 per little packet, may as well just get the bottle for a bit more with more product in it.) I figured that even if it didn't work miracles, I could still use it as a protein treatment now and again.

Yada yada, my hair was washed the night before so I didn't bother shampooing it, just wet it in the sink, combed it through. Sectioned my hair off, saturated each bit with it (I didn't get it DRIPPING with product, but enough to get it all covered and good), plunked down on the bathroom floor with my laptop and a blow dryer set on warm and medium power for the next half hour, moving it slowly around my head, feeling it get all cemented and hard.

After it was all dried in and then some, hopped in the shower, let it soften under the water a bit, did the conditioner, and waited to see what results I would get. And, may I just say: holy hell.

My hair feels fantastic. Every little strand that my curl had disappeared from because of the bleach sprung back to life with their coils and curls. Hardly any hair at all coming off in my comb. Even feels a bit thicker? I'm impressed.

The smell of the yellow liquidy protein stuff isn't honestly THAT bad. I see some people describing it as the worst thing they've ever smelled in their life, but really...I've smelled far worse sniffs in my life. Yeah, it's not pleasant, but it's not strong enough or smelly enough to make me gag or anything. I'd rather take in multiple whiffs of this than breathe in the Color Oops smell.

Your hair does get pretty rock-hard, so be careful and don't agitate it. None of my hair snapped off when it got shuffled around, but be careful just in case. It's very runny and liquidy, and spread easily through my hair to get everything covered.

I'm not sure what else to say about this other than that it's amazing. I'm definitely going to be doing this every 6 weeks, and plan to splurge on the big bottle of the protein treatment when I use up the little one. My hair feels healthy, strong, and down to get the friction on (I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I had to).

I'm just really excited about this. I wasn't expecting to get my curl back until my hair grew out, so I'm surprised. I feel like I've just hit the jackpot having this in my hair care arsenal.

on 11/24/2014 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Absolutely amazing!!! I was recommended this product by a SA at Sally's Beauty when looking for something to help my extremely dry, wild curly hair. I color my hair every couple months due to premature graying, and I use a hairdryer occasionally. I watched multiple videos on YouTube and decided to take the plunge yesterday. I'm not going to lie, it smells rank (like rotted Apple cider vinegar). It did burn my scalp a little in the back for the first few minutes. I used my hand-held hair dryer, as it dries it makes your hair very stiff/hard. Everyone was adamant about not messing with your hair as it dries because it could actually snap! After gently rinsing the protein out in the shower I applied the second step, the moisturizing treatment and left it on a few minutes. I styled my hair as usual & wow what a difference!!! I will continue to use this every 6 weeks as recommended. I can feel a difference on each strand of hair, it went from rough and uneven to smooth. This product truly is amazing.

on 10/5/2014 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is really, really great. I am bi-racial with 3A-3C, previously bleached and currently color-treated hair. This treatment actually makes my hair feel like it did prior to any processing. My curls stay tight and smooth when I don't straighten, and when I do, it's sleek like a professional blowout. I use step 1 for about an hour until my hair is hard like glass, rinse well, apply step 2, and wrap my hair overnight.
I buy the one-use packets, and it seems no matter how well I shake them up, there's always some separation of the product at the bottom. I just squirt all of it in my hair and lather it like I do shampoo and that seems to get it evenly distributed.
Give this a shot. It was a lifesaver after a relaxer overprocessed and left me shedding like a cat. In the 8 or so months since I started using these (every 6 weeks), I've gained about 5 inches of length... and I was one of those girls who was convinced my hair didn't grow!

Do this treatment while your man's out of the house. The smell almost knocked him flat out! But it's definitely worth it =)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

As a girl who bleaches her naturally almost black hair blonde, this product is a STAPLE in my routine! For the past 5 or 6 months, I have been going through the process of getting my hair to platinum blonde, meaning bleaching, soap caps, toning, over and over again. I'm surprised I still have hair on my head, and I'm convinced a huuuuge factor in that has been using this treatment! IF YOU HAVE COLOR TREATED HAIR YOU NEED TO BE USING THIS!

Here is how I use it:
A week after I bleach and tone my hair, ( I wait a week because a protein treatment can push the color out of your hair if you use it too soon after,) I shampoo then towel dry my hair. Then I apply the reconstructing bottle with my hands and try to get it all over, especially on the ends of the hair. With my hair texture, there's no way I'm getting a comb through my hair like the directions say to do, so I try to get every section. It has a very strong distinct smell, idk how else to describe it, but it's worth it. Once it's all over my hair, I take a blow dryer on medium heat, and blow dry my entire head, until all of my hair is hard. Once it's hard, you need to be verrrrry careful with it, like no playing with it or combing or anything. I go back to the shower and run warm water on my hair, until I feel all that dried up stuff is all out, then put the moisturizer in my hair and leave it on for 2 or 3 minutes and rinse. Then your done! You can do whatever you usually do to your hair.

Before using the treatments, when my hair was wet it was really slimy feeling, stretchy, and when straightened it was just dry and rough. After using it, especially this last time, it feels soooooooo smooth and silky! I can't believe it took my hair from what it was to being healthy, well as healthy as bleached hair could be lol. I will be using this product again in another 2-3 weeks!

on 1/14/2013 12:48:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

From damaging my hair consistently for many years with flat irons, curling irons and blow dryers my hair had 3 textures. The root was my curly 3b/3c hair and the middle was 2c/3a texture and the end being stick straight dead. I wanted to fix this and didn't want to go the drastic route of cutting the dead ends off so I was introduced to this product. It helped revive those stick straight ends to a 2c/3a texture that I could somewhat deal with until my hair grew out to where I could cut them off. When my hair got back to it's normal state, I returned to the evil flat iron and it gave me the same problem but with loads of frizz. I tried the 2 step treatment and it has revived some of my curls. (I will slowly cut of those ends that are not my real texture slowly)

The 2 step protein treatment is messy and stinky. I used a spray bottle the second time but still it still drips and makes a mess. It also is very stinky but that's expected from pure protein. Great product.. did an awesome job on my very damaged ends.

The moisturizer had great slip but wasn't really a great moisturizer. The second go at using this product I mixed it with another moisturizer for added moisture.

I bought the little packs and I bought 2 the first time and then the second time I did it I bought 3 because my hair is sooo thick, 2 seemed like it wasn't enough. Directions were easy to follow but for those that don't know.. don't place a towel under your hair when doing the protein treatment or any clothing because your hair literally will harden to whatever material it dries to. Don't agitate the hair too much as well because depending on how fragile and damaged your hair is, it could just snap off when the protein is dried in hair. I know it sounds scary but honestly it's the easiest thing to do and not as scary as it sounds.

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

Personally I loved the way the two step treatment smelled. The moisture packet that came with it on the other hand...YUCK! It smells like old lady hair products on a hot and sweaty summer day. Firstly let me inform you of my hair. I naturally have black hair, that I've been bleaching the life out of since I was 13 (currently 19) I've had my hair every color imaginable. Currently its white and silver. Well needless to say my hair is in need of repair and this stuff works! I could instantly tell the difference once I washed out the protein. I have super curly hair that I bleach every 2weeks, I deep condition every week so moisture wasn't was what I was lacking. I loved this stuff, will go out and buy the full size bottle ASAP. Side note: I used two packets of the two step treatment and one moisture packet followed by Aussie 3min miracle to mask that old lady scent. My hair is a couple inches past my shoulders, its quite porous and I have a TON of hair.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I've been using this product since the age of 16/17 when I relaxed my hair OFTEN! This has been a staple of mine for years...it's saved my hair from many of damaging chemical treatments (including my stint as a platinum blond from natural black hair smh) I'm not TOO crazy about the Balancing Moisturizer that comes in the kit that I get from my local beauty supply store. But I use it anyway and I also suggest using a VERY moisturizing deep conditioner after this treatment (or any protein treatment) as proteins tend to leave the hair dry if not properly moisturized.

The application can get a bit messy but I've taken to pouring a small amount into an applicator bottle and it makes it easier for me. As stated in a few other reviews the smell does go away so no worried...but after all these years I don't really notice it lol.

Keep in mind that this is a HEAVY protein treatment and some find that their hair doesn't respond well to it. There are lighter treatments that I like such as the Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstrutor (that I always leave in for longer than 2 minutes) and its more of a conditioner as opposed to an actual treatment such as this one.

I've recommended this to several of my friends over the years and if you're having breakage or your tresses are damaged, this may be the one to try.

on 10/28/2011 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Aphogee should be in every chemically enhanced girl's hair arsenal. I have tightly curled, texturized hair and this . The smell is rank; I can't quite pinpoint what it reminds me of but I will say it is vaguely fishy and is reminiscent of foul B.O. Luckily the smell doesn't linger especially since you have to follow it up with another conditioner (for moisture). Nevertheless it has become a staple of mine because it REALLY strengthens my hair.

I generally leave it on for 30 minutes and either go under a hooded dryer or blow dry with a hand dryer until it is rock hard. Then I rinse and follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner (my hair does NOT like the recommended follow-up Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer). Afterward you style as usual; I can attest to the fact that my hair is 100% stronger since I started using Aphogee a year ago (and I've only done about 4 treatments in that time span). Give it a try especially if your hair is relaxed, texturized, permed or color enhanced.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am writing this review 3 days after doing the treatment for the first time. Usually I would use a product a few times before reviewing, but I am so impressed, I want to share my thoughts now, and will update as I continue to use it over time.

My hair: Very curly, 3b, smooth, fine but lots of it (but recently shed extremely so temporarily thin) it is not course, it's soft/smooth Caucasian hair, color treated, very dry and prone to breakage

I bought this 3 months ago because it was recommended both on MUA and other hair forums. My hair was becoming very hard to manage. It is already very prone to dryness and breakage, but I went through a bit of a "hair identity crisis" and kept color treating my hair, leaving it even more fragile. On top of that already horrible situation, I moved to a new place with very hard well water. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to it at the time - life was busy and I'll be honest I was scared because of the though of smelling of cat pee while people were home and it taking all day. My hair continued to decline. It was no falling out to the point where I could visibly see the thinning at my roots. My hair was untouchable. I couldn't even run my fingers through it, let alone brush/comb it without tons of shedding and hearing is snap and break. My curls were limp, and it was no longer curling in the tight corkscrews it normally does. I was feeling hopeless about it.

I finally set aside a day and did this treatment. I made sure I read many reviews and the instructions carefully. First, I trimed about an inch to get rid of the majority of the split ends. Then, I detangled my hair with conditioner then I shampooed with a clarifying shampoo to prep for the treatment and was careful not to tangle it up with the fear of breakage while drying.

I poured the treatment in a bowel and applied it with a hair coloring paint brush (like i saw on a video working in very small sections. At first I worked very fast because I was afraid of it drying before I finished, but that wasnt an issue. (although, my hair usually takes FOREVER to dry). I didnt know what to do with my hair since it is long - normally I pile it on top of my head, but I was afraid of the 'manipulation' and so I cliped it with a clip like a low pony tail - this ended up being a mistake because it stuck to my shirt and back, making it hard to take off when I was ready to rinse.

I sat with a blow dryer on my head, taking occasional breaks. I decided to use a diffuser since it would be less likely to move the hair. It worked very well. It dried faster then I expected... maybe an hour? Probably less, but I just wanted to be sure I left it on long enough.

For rinsing, I did as another reviewer suggested, and filled the tub and slowly leaned back into the water. I was very gentle touch it while in the water.. it takes about a minuet to soften up before you can begin to work with your fingers. I followed up with the balancing moisturizer. I left it in for a few minuets, but I felt like it could have been more moisturizing.

I then colored my hair and deep conditioned again.

WOW.

this stuff was like a breath of life for my hair. My hair felt soft, yet strong. I can actually touch my hair now without problems. If feels so fluffy and my curls came back in a major way. Even my SO told me my hair had been super curly ever since. Its like all knew hair. I have already noticed when I comb or shampoo my hair that the shedding is significantly less then - I would say about 1/2 the shedding compared to what it was 2 weeks before. I feel like my hair feels a little thicker, and I am confident know that it will grow back in thick again. My hair is also retaining moisture more then it was, and it's pretty much like a whole new set of hair. I so regret not doing it sooner - I bet this should have kept my hair from thinning in the first place.

the package says to do it every 6 weeks, but I would try and push is longer. I plan on doing smaller protein treatments (like k-pack) every 2 weeks for maintaince, and only doing this when I start to feel my hair needs it. I am really afraid of over doing it.

Price: about $20 for 16oz which will last at least 1 year! I bought mine on sale, so even better. It's worth way more then that, since my hair hair looked like I just got back from a salon, and I payed way less then $100. It was the best $20 I have ever spent on my hair! It surpassed my expectations. I am very happy with this! I now want to try other aphogee products. Amazing quality!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Ohmygod where has this stuff been?! I'd never heard of it until MUAs hair board. I immediately ran into my closest Sally's and bought two sample packs - my hair is really long and I was worried I wouldn't have enough. I reread all the really helpful reviews right before and prepared for the worst smell of my life. Honestly, I wasn't that grossed out. Dont get mr wrong, it's rancid. But it didn't bother me that badly. Anyways, I'm glad I bought two. I mixed them up and put them in a bowl. I added some water because I was still concerned. So I saturated my hair and ended up putting it up on my head. WRONG MOVE. Halfway through drying it fell. I was petrified and almost started crying thinking I had broken off my hair at chin length. Nevertheless, it was fine thank god. It took a good hour and half to dry with my blowdryer. I thought my arm was gonna fall off. I left it on another 30 minutes after my arm lost feeling and went and hung outside, had a cigarette (I know, I know). I went inside and hopped in the shower. I just chilled under the water for about three minutes. Seriously. I was still freaking out about it falling. I rinsed for a good 4-5 minutes and applied all the conditioner and mixed in some of my Ion extreme moisture creme (adore it) because I felt the conditioner in the packs weren't moisturizing enough. After another 5 minutes, I rinsed and hopped out. After all that, there was no way I was touching my dryer or flatiron. It wasn't incredibly softer, shinier, or anything, but I've noticed it's stronger, healthier looking and I'm shedding a lot less (not so much broken pieces, I'm still losing whole hairs though).

I've bought the big bottle from Sally's since and since they had a special, I went ahead and bought the conditioner. It'll help my ion last longer. It says to use every 6 weeks, and im counting down till I can use it again. It's gotten better every time. Yes, it's expensive ($30 roughly for both with coupons and specials and my beauty card) but it'll last forever. Yes, it's a PITA to do, but it works. It does everything it promises.
I've learned that with long hair it's best if you just half it and do each side just hanging flat. It's pretty gross when it gets all over you (so sticky) and your bathroom, but it's a small compromise. Just make it a beauty day.