Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.4

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Updated Jul 22: I've used it 3 times by now (every 6 weeks) and I swear by it. Still, I think I must use it less frequently in the future. Over the time when I used it I did highlights once. The ends of my hair have very minor breakage (usually it's major after coloring services). It's way thicker. I don't remember my hair being so thick for past 8 years. My hair feels very strong now before I could easily pull it apart and break. I think I've got enough protein now and will continue this treatment every two-three months.
In the mean time, I've also tried Olaplex that's made my hair look like a messy swab... For me Aphogee only!

Original review:
This treatment is awesome!
I have wavy sway 2A type highlighted hair. I color with Aveda every 4 months and I cut my hair ones a year (trying to grow them longer). I don't have serious damage, but I start losing a curl pattern and wasn't happy about very ends of my hair (last time I had color and cut 2.5 months ago) so I decided to give Aphogee a try.
I didn't use their shampoo, I used mine. Towel dried my hair, brushed them with a wide tooth comb, and applied treatment. The treatment didn't go on my clothes despite warnings of other reviewers. And it doesn't smell that bad. I already had much worse smelling things being applied on my hair by professionals.
I went with the concept 'less is more', divided my hair into two parts (left and right), put a bit of treatment in my palm, and distribute it on hair. Repeated several times, combed one side. Did the same thing on another side.
No matter how much product I was adding my hair didn't become dry or un-brushable.
After I finish I gently dried it with my regular hairdryer on low settings. My hair didn't become rock hair, just stiff.
Once treatment completely dried I rinsed it off, applied moisturizer, combed hair again and waited for about 15 minutes before to rinse moisturizer (it's written to wait two minutes, but I've decided that more is more in this case).
I let my hair air dry and I immediately noticed that I have way less frizz and much more waves. They also became much softer.
Since then I've washed my hair couple of times. The magic of this treatment for me is that I can let my hair air dry and it looks great. No frizz!!! The only think I'm using now as a styling product is a shine spray. Nothing else! I do not waste my time on blowdrying my hair and I get compliments on how do they look. Awesome stuff!

on 1/21/2017 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Hi everyone! I recently dyed my hair black and am going to do this treatment to seal in colour. I, however, only have the treatment and moisturizer. It says on package to use ApHogee shampoo prior to treatment. I don't have any! And I would have to travel 30min to get some. Wondering if there are any comparable shampoos and or conditioners could use instead? (I have the packet two step treatment; comes with protein and conditioner).

on 9/4/2015 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have fine hair that is very damaged from years of coloring. I had gotten to the point where I had a lot of breakage strands of hair were coming out every time I washed my hair. I had to clean out my brush every few days, and hair, hair everywhere like I was shedding. My hair also would not hold color, even permanent color for more than a couple weeks. I have tried reconstructors, protein treatments, and deep conditioners in the past. Reconstructors made my hair worse, and other protein treatments helped with porosity.

This is a bit unlike other products, it is a watery liquid like Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, but application is much different. I followed the directions and saturated my hair with the product then blow dried my hair careful not to "agitate" my hair. As the package said the hair will become very dry and hard, almost crisp. I then rinsed and despite how my hair felt after blow drying once rinsed my hair was only a bit on the dry side.

The second step is a deep conditioner which is to be left on for two minutes. My hair feels great its very smooth and was easy to brush. I typically add oil to my hair after washing and conditioning and did not find that necessary after using this.

This is a must if you have damaged hair from bleaching, coloring, perming, or relaxing.

The first step, the protein treatment has a bit of an odd smell, it's not terrible or overpowering but smells a bit like rotten oranges. A single use kit with both products funs about $4USD, and larger sizes can be purchased separately a varying prices.The single use kit is great to try the product and see if it works without buying the larger sizes and being disappointed, but I don't think its possible not to love this product.

This dramatically reduced hair breakage for me.

on 11/24/2014 9:54:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Absolutely amazing!!! I was recommended this product by a SA at Sally's Beauty when looking for something to help my extremely dry, wild curly hair. I color my hair every couple months due to premature graying, and I use a hairdryer occasionally. I watched multiple videos on YouTube and decided to take the plunge yesterday. I'm not going to lie, it smells rank (like rotted Apple cider vinegar). It did burn my scalp a little in the back for the first few minutes. I used my hand-held hair dryer, as it dries it makes your hair very stiff/hard. Everyone was adamant about not messing with your hair as it dries because it could actually snap! After gently rinsing the protein out in the shower I applied the second step, the moisturizing treatment and left it on a few minutes. I styled my hair as usual & wow what a difference!!! I will continue to use this every 6 weeks as recommended. I can feel a difference on each strand of hair, it went from rough and uneven to smooth. This product truly is amazing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

This product is amazing and truly saved my hair! If you have over processed hair from bleach and have suffered from plenty of fall out, like I once had, please check out this product. You will be very impressed!

I naturally have very thick black hair and decided to go platinum blonde. After five months for continuously bleaching the black hair dye out of my hair, which I recommend you DO NOT do, my hair became extremely wrecked. Although it has finally reached the platinum color I was so desperately trying to achieve, my hair began falling out in huge clumps, became very dry, brittle, and was thinning at a rapid pace. At that point, I was very afraid to brush my hair and even wash it, afraid to witness the large amounts of hair clogging the drain.

I later went to seek help and decided to contact Sally's Beauty Supply store. The woman who picked up heard my situation and recommended me the Aphogee Two- Step Protein Treatment. I immediately went to the closest Sally's near me and picked up a bottle of the Aphogee Two- Step Protein Treatment and the Aphogee Balanced Moisture Conditioner.
Once I returned home, I automatically jumped into the shower to rinse my hair, since the directions state that you must apply this product to damp hair. After I towel dried my hair, I quickly ran the product all throughout my hair, mainly focusing on the roots. One thing I noticed with the Two-Step Protein Treatment is that it is very runny and has a strange scent to it. I then proceeded to blow dry my hair for approximately 10 minutes. I soon noticed the product hardening on my hair, causing it to look dry and crispy. Once it hardened, I let it sit for a couple of minutes and washed it out using the Balance Moisture Conditioner, which smells like fresh flowers according to my boyfriend. I did notice a lot of fall out in the shower, which made me a bit skeptical. Three days have passed since I've used this treatment and I have to say that I have noticed a significant difference in my hair. It no longer falls out in huge clumps and it seems a lot smoother than before. I can brush my hair now and haven't noticed a ton of hair in the drain during my showers. I highly recommend this product to those suffering from extreme fall out.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I've had this product used on my hair both in a professional salon setting and at home, and I never saw any great results from it. It would suck every ounce of moisture out of my hair. My hair would always look and feel very dry after this protein treatment would be used in it.

Also, I think that it is way overpriced too.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This stuff is awesome. It helped restore my over bleached frizzy nasty hair. The person below me sounds like she got protein overload which can happen if your hair doesn't need protein. I have done it myself using a protein packed conditioner & several other protein treatments. It dried my hair out & made it brittle & frizzy. There was a lot of breakage too. I switched conditioners & use this two step treatment every 6 weeks. My hair is soft & manageable compared to the brittle frizzy breaking hair. I recommend this stuff to anyone who is having severe breakage including that mushy when wet hair. It will help. But you need to make sure to moisturize well. Protein can be very drying. I usually use the one it comes with then my redken all soft.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

This is my current treatments when I'm at the salon. I don't use it for every wash. But this does what I need it to do for my hair and that's to strengthen and protect it from damaging. I love it. I've been using it off and on for a few years. I also use the Aphogee Keratin treatment leave in spray. I highly recommend. It's worth the price though.

on 3/26/2012 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

This works. It really does work for damaged hair...at least it works for my african american transitioning hair. I'm currently growing out my relaxer and my hair has been breaking off and I have been losing strands everytime I wash and comb it. Even if I just run my fingers through my hair, I inevitably lose hair. Well after one of these treatments, boy did I notice a change in my hair!

It did not stop the breakage completely, but I would say it stopped about 80% of it. I will definitely be doing this treatment every 6-8 weeks faithfully from now on. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because it smells horrible and it is extremely messy and runny. But it will turn your hair around.

Now I'm kicking myself because I endured a year worth of breakage for nothing!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Once you get a whiff of this stuff, you know it has to work. Nothing that smells this bad could stay on the market unless it actually produced results. I never even knew this product existed until I started visiting MUA on a regular basis. It's only sold in beauty supply stores. It's an intense protein treatment for fried, damaged hair. I have used this twice on my poor, crappy, over-processed hair and I plan on using it again soon. I feel it has improved the strength and quality of my hair overall. I notice that I get a LOT less hair in my comb after I comb it after showering. I used to think that I was just shedding a lot of hair... now I think I was experiencing a lot of breakage, and Aphogee treatments seem to have helped that. Though this doesn't work absolute miracles, it can make damaged hair look and feel a lot better. It's definetely worth putting up with the smell and the time (you have to blowdry your hair rockhard after applying) it takes to do it.