Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Filtered by skin type : Oily
Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.8

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 8/24/2017 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Regrettably, I tried out a new stylist to upkeep the blonde bayalage/highlights I had for the past 2 years. After a mess of a hurricane, my hair was damaged, mushy, gummy, weak, and falling out in CHUNKS.

I had lost all hope and then remembered about this product that I had used years ago.

BEST THING EVER. Step 1: leave in the treatment and gently low blow dry on heat.
DO NOT AGITATE YOUR HAIR!

Step 2: Once its hardened, gently and thoroughly rinse with lukewarm water and apply the conditioner.

MAGIC! Your hair will miraculously go back to normal health! Remember, it's not magic, however, this is the best, fastest, most convenient and inexpensive way to reverse severe damage!!

ALSO: the Keratin & Green tea spray from aphogee does wonders!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My hair for reference: many years of red, black and brown boxed hair color. Past my shoulders length. Fine, 2b waves (that I usually blow dry and straighten). I bleached my own hair from a level 2/3 to a level 10 platinum/white blonde. My hair color/tone looks great. But obviously with bleach there will be some damage.

This has been HG status for me for years.

After bleaching and toning my hair last time, I went and got 2" cut off. Then I used this 2 step treatment and my hair looks and feels completely healthy. I get compliments on my hair all the time because it's in such good shape. My hair feels like virgin hair, that's how great this stuff is for *my* hair.

It is really very simple to use. I don't think it smells that bad, I've had way worse smelling chemicals on my hair. I always just buy the 1 time use package of this. Wash my hair with a purple shampoo, comb, pour in a spray bottle and spray it all over, comb through, use my hair dryer until it gets stiff and rinse it out. It doesn't get so rock hard that your hair is going to accidentally shatter like glass. I think a lot of ppl are scared that will happen.

I use the accompanying conditioner with it, rinse that out then apply Shea Moisture deep conditioner for 5 mins, then a leave in and seal it with a few drops of pure/real argan oil. I'll either let it air dry or blow dry and straighten depending on my mood and what I got going on that day.

Having bleached hair you lose a lot of protein and moisture. Bleached hair also has a hard time *keeping* moisture in your hair. The cuticle is blow open so It basically evaporates. Your hair also needs protein to help retain moisture. So you have to keep the protein/moisture balance good in order to have healthy hair.

Don't be afraid to use it! Especially for bleached or damaged hair. Their 2 minute reconstructor is also good (It does contain silicones in it if that's something your wanting to avoid), but the 2 step is much stronger (and has no silicones) and it lasts far longer in my hair.

It is very sticky though. Also note that if your wearing a shirt and your hair is long, once this dries your not going to want to pull your shirt off over your head because it'll bend your hair. Once I forgot and had to get into the shower with my t-shirt on to rinse out my hair lol.

Edit 9/17/17: It's been almost a month since I last used this. I can tell my hair needs it again because it's feeling dry - remember low protein in your hair means moisture has nothing to hold on to. So for my hair I need to use this once a month. That's a pretty long time for one product. And I've been washing, blow drying and flat ironing my hair every other day and it's still in good condition.

on 9/27/2016 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

hi ladies i must said this product is awesome...i have very bleached processed hair..went from ash blonde to grey finally 😊..but due to the bleach processing my ends became very frail..and when wet was very gummy/mushy this priduct save my hair cant believe it wish i had known about iy way before now my hair would be extremely long..if yoy bleach or process your hair you need to use this your hair will thank you..trust me..oh btw my hair is fine straight indian hair..but colored grey now 😄

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have not yet used and need some help. I got hair done at salon and was bleached in 6 applications one day and then another application one week later period 3 weeks after that I went to the spa and she said instead of doing the roots that I should actually get a perm because she didn't want to perm it after she did another dose of color to do my roots. Well Kama it almost fell out altogether. I lost a lot of hair. Now it is all Gummy around the crowd only. Everywhere else and even when the ground dries, it is very very hard and stiff and breaks. I went and got a Redken shot at my local salon and then I bought the entire extreme line including the shots so I can do all this at home. I also purchased this. I have only had one Redken shot so far but I'm kind of scared to use this product. I'm afraid to use it because I have begun using the Redken extreme line for 1 secondly the lower half of my hair isn't that damaged period not like the top. Should I do this product only on the crown of my head head where the most damage is? Any help would be appreciated. The Stylist that I went to I need to add told me that I don't need any of this stuff. I just don't see how that's possible because my hair is completely gone and takes 8 or 9 hours to drive around my head and is the most damaged I've ever seen it in my life

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Now let me get into the nitty gritty of this product. First let me start off by saying this product is A1. I'm a naturalista my hair type is maybe 4b/c however its soft and on the finer side. Now sometime last year my hair begun to feel too soft and way too limp for my liking so like I always do I hit the net and do some research. Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment stood out. So of course i researched it some more and the dramatic feedback made me a bit hesitant to buy it. Anyhoooo went to my local drugstore saw it bite the bullet and bought it. When i got home i said a quick prayer(to protect my hair lol) read the instructions thoroughly(i think like 4 times) i had to get it right then start the process. Btw it comes with the protein treatment and the balancing moisturizing conditioner(try and get both)

The Process
So first i shampoo my hair and towel dry. Now comes the protein treatment. Now i must tell you like what most says IT STINKS!!!! But bearable. After applying it i comb through my hair so its evenly distributed after that you can either use a hooded dryer or the other one. Since i have the other one i'll put it ob high and dry my hair with the protein treatment still in it. Here comes the dramatic part, ur hair tends to get so hard however dont comb, brush or agitate it so much(i dnt know what will happen, just dont). After drying your hair for abt 3 minutes its safe to wash it out. When doing so wet hair with preferbly warm water. After most of the protein is out and hair becomes soft. Continue running water on it until protein is completly gone. TRUST ME wgen i say this you'll feel a complete difference in your hair its as if it got stronger.

After washing out the protein towel dry your hair then apply balancing moisturizer(this smells pretty decent far from overbearing as step 1) so basically this is used to restore the moisture in your hair(its so dope) plan on using it even after step 1 finishes. But for real tho cop this product plus its affordable all you gotta do is read the instructions and this review and it'll be successful. I advise doing this couple weeks before installing braids weave or any othet protective style

Reference to bleach/colored hair
So i recently bleach and color my hair and i wanted to try aphogee again but i was abit nervous since i didnt want it affecting the color. Did it earlier today and again worked like a charm. And jay is a happy camper

Ignore the tlks abt the smell or the process or any other negative review and get this badss. You wont regret it

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It took months for me to try this due to a few apprehensions:

-Hair type: I have thick, coarse, straight black Asian hair and the majority of reviews are from those with fine hair
-Protein: I've read on the hair board that one of the characteristics of coarse hair is that it has an overabundance of protein and adding extra would result in brittle protein overload. Also, I had a bad experience with using Mane n' Tail shampoo, which has protein in it, and assumed that my hair and all forms of protein would never have a working relationship.

I've been bleaching (ombre/balayage) every 5-6 weeks for the past 8 months. After the last 2 sesssions, my ends have turned to shredded wheat. I figured the only solution was to chop off my ends, but this can be discouraging when you're DIY-ing an ombre job every few weeks only to have to redo the damage again. I decided to ease into protein with Aphogee's 2-Minute Keratin Reconstructor. This made my hair silky and less coarse after one use, so I excitedly moved onto the 2-Step, half expecting for my hair to break off at my ear while smelling like a cadaver. Well, 2 treatments later and I am a happy camper!

-While it doesn't miraculously hide or remove damage, it noticeably improves my hair texture. Split ends, breakage, or any kind of "holes" that were once visible on parts of the cuticle are smoothed over.
-My hair moves now!
-The smell isn't that bad. It reminds me of an outdated high school's bio lab storage where all the petri dishes are stored.

I follow up with L'oreal's Mega Moisture Conditioning treatment or GVP Conditioning Balm and seal with a tiny dime-sized amount of coconut oil. Without this, I probably would not have made it this far in my frying-lavender-ombre-balayage journey.

on 12/12/2013 1:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is my very first review on mua or any website really so I apologize in advance if mess this up. This product may have well saved my hair after a Major major hair disaster that happened to me several months ago. To keep the long story on the short side, I lost a major portion of my hair to a dye job gone very very wrong.
I had been getting all over highlights on my naturally dark brown hair for several years, this I had noticed started to take its toll on my hair and I was starting to see some slight damage and I also kept noticing falling hairs everywhere so, I told the girl who had being doing my hair for well over a year that I wanted to take a break from the bleach for a while and just to dye my hair to my natural brown (to cover greys). It all went down hill from there...but my hair came out jet black, like goth princess black. Not what I wanted at all. So in order to fix her color choice mistake she chose to do some color colorection where she mixed shamppoo and bleach(or lifter whatever it is) we'll then my hair was pumpkin orange..it went from bad to worse. Only I didn't know how much worse it was gonna get.
We'll over the next day or so it was like my once full shoulder length head of thick hair was gone. Gone. I now had a chin length Orange shaggy bob
Anyway... So needless to say ended up @ Sally's to try to find something to get rid of my pumpkin head. When I was there and looking around I spotted the Apohgee which I read about online after my hair disaster. So I picked up the smaller trial pack. I did more reaserch on the aphogee and was kinda scared to use it cause the process kinda freaked me out a bit and was really scared to do anymore damage to my hair.
I have had the pack of aphogee since September when this happened and for some reason today I thought I would give it a try. Well, I wish I would have not waited so long to use it!
I have been using pure organic cocnut oil( on dry hair then let sit for at least 30 min w shower cap ) as well as the entire line of Joico kpak products which all work well
I know that at some point I need to get the dead ends cut which is the only thing that is really gonna help. But, so far nothing that I have used in all the many repair products and treatment has worked like the aphogee. It has literally brought the life and volume back to my hair.
My only suggestin is to buy 2 packs bc it is very messy and runny and it kinda runs thru ur fingers so u lose some down the sink.
Where a old tank top or something and take any rings off cause it dries to ur skin and clothes.
I think if I had been able to get more on my head instead of on my sink it would even had better results.
It is time consuming, I did not think the smell was as bad as some people said. It does harden up and freaked me out a bit and I also wish I would have left it on longer( I blew dry for a good 10-15 min) til it hardened up then let just sit on my head for about another 15 or so.
Got in shower and let water rinse it out did not really move or touch my hair til it was soft. Rinse it really well. Removed excess h20 from hair and then applied step 2, I left that on my hair in shower while I shaved, washed face etc... After that I towel dried my hair out of shower and did apply my joico kpak intense repair and let that sit on my head for about 10 min. I did that upon reading other reviews and some said they needed or did an extra condining/ moisturizing step.
I am curios to see how my hair holds up over the couple days. But so far I'm very happy and will def purchase again.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I made the mistake of using John Frieda go blonder pray to attempt to give my honey blonde hair lighter streaks. The result was frizzy candy floss hair that was snapping off in chunks! After a few days of depression and internet research I decided to go to Sallys and purchase this product. My hair is now back to normal, shiny and strong! The pieces that broke off even look better as they now lie flat and blend in with the rest of my head. I am so grateful for this product and recommend to anyone who has fried their hair looking for a quick fix!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This stuff has worked wonders on my hair! I'm naturally dark brunette and have been box dying my hair since I was 15. I'm now 30 and as you can imagine my hair wasn't in the best condition. I recently went baby blonde over the course of just a few months which wasn't a good idea teamed with damaged, over processed hair. My hair was like straw when dry and stretchy/mushy when wet. I tried all sorts of treatments to help replenish it; from expensive protein treatments, leave in conditioners, hot oils... nothing worked. I came across this whilst searching for affordable at home treatments, and after some online research I gave it a go. It almost fixed my hair with just one application and my hair was soft and manageable again without many signs of breakage/split ends or stretchiness. It's not the easiest thing to apply as it's very runny and goes everywhere... but it's worth the hastle! I use my own clarifying shampoo first, towel dry, add the protein treatment until my hair is saturated, dry until rock hard (don't touch your hair at this point as it will snap!), rinse, apply aphogee balancing moisturizer and leave for a few mins (to balance ph levels... a very important step as Ive tried it without and hair felt horrible and lacked shine), rinse, apply my favourite moisturising conditioner, rinse again, and that's it. I do this once a month when I have my roots done, or once every two months when my hair is feeling ok. Be warned though - using the treatment too often, such as every few weeks, will result in further damage/breakage. Plus, you MUST use a conditoner after the balancing moisturiser! I only recommended it for dry, damaged, over processed hair. Healthy hair wont benefit from this treatment and could become damaged.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought this product after a Sally's employee recommended it. My hair did not turn "rock hard" when I blow dried it, it just felt as if i loaded it with mouse and hairspray. I did not find it necessary to dip my head into the tub as recommended on here, it rinsed away easily, it also wasnt as messy as I expected and the smell not bad at all. Also I bought the ones in the little packages and I felt I needed 2 due to my long hair but unfortunately only bought 1, so if you have hair that falls to your lower back, definetly purchase two. So on to the review...

Initially after the first rinse I did not see a difference in my hair but the day after when I washed my hair again I felt a total difference. My hair was shinier and softer, overall felt more healthy and less breakage. This did not transform my hair from dry and damaged to beautiful and perfect but it DID make a significant difference, a difference that I have never seen another product do so quickly. It is totally worth it and I will continue to use this every 2 months.

BTW i have very long wavy/curly hair.