Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.6

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I'm only reviewing the Aphogee Protein Treatment (white bottle), not the Balancing Conditioner (purple). For the record I dont have damaged hair or bleached hair, so I cant say how this works on those types of hair. However I've been doing Curly Girl method and people at nc.com recommend to do a protein treatment, since my hair so baby fine, it cant hold a curl without hard hold gel. Before getting Aphogee, Ive been doing a diy protein treatment at home using gelatin (knox brand). I just mix a tbsp with 1 cup water, a bit of apple cider vinegar and put it in my hair. So far Ive been curious how gelatin compares to actual protein treatment since its kinda sketchy putting jello on your hair and expecting any benefit at all. Now that Ive tried both, at least in my hair and experience, gelatin and Aphogee has the same effect on me. I do like Aphogee more because it gave my hair ringlets and less frizz. Application wise, theyre the same. They both make hair hard when dry. I use heat from my blow dryer, rinse it off and then use a conditioner. I dont need to use heavy conditioner afterwards, but thats just my hair. So if you dont have terribly damaged hair, or also wanting to only maintain curly hair, just get yourself a box of Knox or bovine gelatin. There are a lot of gelatin hair treatment recipes where you can mix it with aloe or honey to make it more beneficial for your hair.

on 3/30/2017 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been aware of this product and its rave reviews for probably 7 years and never used it. I want to go back in time and shake myself. For some reason I didn't think this could be that much better than K-Pak, and I had already tried Olaplex. Y'all...this is so much better than K-Pak and Olaplex doesn't do the same thing at all, those do the equivalent of nothing compared to this. I can play with my hair without it instantly turning into a tangled nasty mess for the first time in years. YEARS. I have the most overprocessed hair ever. I'm as picky about color as I am indecisive about it, and at one point I tried to force myself to stop changing my hair color by committing to a henna/indigo dark brown. This just resulted in me desperately bleaching the living hell out of it, and it is now platinum. It's probably been bleached all over 7 times. Even before that it was already very damaged, so I am an extreme case.

This stuff makes my hair behave like genuinely healthy hair. There is zero silicone on my hair right now and I can't stop running my finger through it, it's so smooth. I followed the directions to a T. I did use a spray bottle to apply it more evenly (helps a ton) and I used an inflatable hood dryer (highly recommend these) til my hair was bone dry. My hair felt like a wicker basket. I thoroughly rinsed it out and then used a light detangling type conditioner (not the accompanying conditioner, way too fragranced and I'm sensitive), and threw some avocado oil on the ends. Nothing fancy, no cones, and my hair feels comparable to its virgin condition. A lot of curly haired girls say this stuff returned their curl pattern, well this returned mine too only my curl pattern is just straight lol. It doesn't have that telltale overlightened wavy, fluffy thing going on anymore. It's only like 4 bucks for the packet at Sallys so you have nothing to lose. I plan on buying the biggest size next time. if your hair is chemically treated you can't afford not to buy this stuff, it makes everything else look like a joke.

on 11/5/2016 1:53:00 PM

This stuff is a miracle in a bottle. For background:

I moved to a new area, and my new stylist made my hair an awful yellow blonde. Two color corrections later (one did not do the trick, the second stylist finally did what I wanted; a cooler blonde) my hair is, simply put: crappy.

My HG for damaged dry hair (common being a bottle blonde most of my life) is Kenra Nourishing Masque. This time, it wasn't doing the trick. Every time I washed and conditioned my hair, it was stretchy, and hair broke off in my fingers. Not a ton, but enough to clog the drain every shower. It also looked frizzy and straw-like when dry.

I used Aphogee for the first time. It took roughly 30 minutes of blow drying to get rock hard. I rinsed, applied Aphogee's balancing conditioner, rinsed. Then applied my Kenra Nourishing masque, left on for 20 minutes, and rinsed.

When I rinsed out my Kenra masque and ran my fingers through my hair, NO HAIR CAME OUT ON MY HANDS for the first time in 1.5 years. I couldn't believe it. My hair looks decent again now when I dry and style it. Less frizzy spots, and a flat iron can smooth out my frizzies like it used to.

If deep conditioners are not working for you (I was using my Kenra every day without results) then give this stuff a try!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

If you bleached your hair to the elastic stretchy gummy mush wad spaghetti death mess that literally falls out in clumps then you absolutely should give Aphogee protein treatments a try. I wish I had known about it so long ago, I would have been able to save my long hair (now its almost a pixie and still can't get all the damaged bits off). To be clear, my hair is still damaged because bleach is permanent and irreversible damage but after treating it with Aphogee ITS NOT GUMMY AND STRETCHY AND FALLING OUT. This is exciting if you have ever been through the trauma that is lightly/barely brushing your hand through your hair after a shower and having an entire section of your hair fall off in your hand. It's still going to take a lot of babying of hair, but having it stay intact and act as if its actually hair is a huge deal. The smell isn't even that bad! I don't necessarily like it and the moisturizer does totally smell like men's product, but if thats the price I pay to not have that weird stretchy spaghetti I don't care what it smells like. I absolutely would recommend it to anyone who has bleach damaged their hair to the mushy stage, otherwise be careful with proteins!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I am African American with naturally curly hair. I straightened my hair one time with a babyliss straightener and after a wash my hair will not return to it's curly texture. It was literally spaghetti straight, thin, brittle, and damaged after my shower. I read many many reviews about this product as Well as many other products and decided to give this a try. The product did not restore my hair back to it's natural curl but it did give it some volume and a little bit of a wave. I definitely received the moisture my hair needs to grow. If you have heated damaged hair, my advice to you is NOT to start with a big chop, start with this product. It may not give the results you want, but it does help. Also if this doesnt work for you, try k-pak reconstructor. The first time I damaged my hair due to heat 7 years ago, that product worked WONDERS.

This stuff is seriously a miracle cure! I had just bleached my hair twice in less than a week (Not smart, I know) and the ends were feeling like mushy, rubbery noodles.. Just used the protein treatment and balancer together, and my hair feels just like it did before I bleached. Only con in my opinion is the price! Very expensive for a small amount of product, but with results like these it's well worth it to me. :-)

First, I want to start out by saying I have never come across a product I have ever wanted to write a review about, until now!! I absolutely looooove this product and I am hooked after using it for the first time! I had over processed hair from lightening and then going back dark and it was fried from heat. My hair was stringy and felt disgusting when wet. I was able to stretch my hair like a rubber band, but it wouldn't return to it's normal shape. Instead it would just fall off. I was ready to give up until I decided to give this stuff a get and I'm so happy I did. The smell is pretty extreme and took some time to get over, but the results are worth it! My hair is so incredibly soft now, a lot less breakage, better elasticity, and doesn't feel as terrible when wet! I had amazing results just from my first use so I'm so excited to see how my hair will be after a few more uses in the next couple months! If you're about to give up like me please try this product first!!! It was a life saver!

My hair type: Long, naturally straight, dry'ish, and my bangs constantly break from styling

So far I do like this product. I did everything as instructed this morning and my hair is in the process of drying and it does feel stronger. I want to give it a couple more washes before I can really know how my hair adjusts to it. I will update my experience.

The reason I purchased this protein treatment was due to the fact that my bangs breaking constantly from heat damage and because my hair is long, so it is lost protein over the years, which is where this protein packed treatment would hopefully come in to play.

I will use a lot of moisture in my hair for the next week or so since there needs to be a balance between protein and moisture so that your hair will feel great.

*****PS Buy this online, it is cheaper than Sallys!

UPDATE: Well I gave it another couple washes and I do believe it has helped my hair in many ways. I has helped to build some of the lost protien in my long hair, it has helped reduce tangles, greatly reduced frizziness in my hair and has helped my reducing hair breakage. I would definitely give this another go. I plan on doing this is another two weeks or so, even though it recommends every six weeks, but we will see how my hair continues to act. Overall it is wonderful and I would recommend anyone with hair in general use it lol.

on 5/28/2014 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

its good. but you need an extra deep conditioner for better results

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I've been using this product on and off for years! I have relaxed hair that recently succumbed to heat damage, so after cutting off 4 inches or so of hair I decided to put the 2 step treatment back into my hair regimen. I use it once a month to keep my hair strong and in tip top shape. I highly recommend this to women with thin, porous hair who are constantly using heat or chemicals to style or treat their hair. It really makes a difference. Just follow the directions, don't freak out when your hair gets hard from the treatment, be patient when rinsing it out, and sit under the dryer for a good 10 minutes to deep condition with the conditioner pack. Style as you usually would and you're set!