Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.7

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Wow wow wow. I just did it today for the first time in my life. This thing is a hair salvation. It's amazing. I don't even have words to describe how good this is. I have blond heavely highlighted hair, overprocessed as f*ck. It's not mushy, it's dry and brittle and it tangles a lot and after it tangles I have to untagle it and then it breaks off. So if you have hair like mine and you do your online research you will probably think that your hair doesn't need protein. You will be scared to use this on your hair. You will probably think that you will end up with protein overload and that your hair will fall out, snap out. At least I was, for a long time. Well guess what, there is no such thing as protein overload there is only lack of moisture. Every dyed or bleached or thermicaly abused hair is more or less damaged hair and every damaged hair needs protein. Then after you use this magical protein following the aphogee instructions you will use the matching balancing moisturizer and your hair will be balanced and silky and healthy as never before. So don't be scared, go ahead and use it. At least I will be every 4 weeks for the rest of my blonde life........

I bought a one time use sample of this treatment a few years ago, but procrastinated actually using it because the steps seemed so drawn out, and I was freaked out by the idea of my hair breaking off. I dye my own hair from medium brown to blonde, and my ends can get very parched and visibly damaged. Recently it was getting so bad that I decided to take the plunge.

The steps were less annoying and the process was less time consuming than I expected. I will recommend that when you apply the protein treatment, don't let your hair lay down your back while it dries. My hair was down my back and as it hardened and stuck to my skin, I could feel each little movement I made was tugging on the hair.

I won't go into more details about the steps because others have written much more detailed and knowledgeable how-tos, and I pretty much followed their steps and advice to a tee.

The results: initially I really thought the treatment didn't make any difference. I typically smother my hair with cones in order to look presentable, and so it's not until the second or third day after washing, blow drying, and applying the products that conceal the damage, that my hair begins to show its true, strawlike nature. It was around then on the second or third day that I noticed this *did* make a difference, my hair looked less damaged than usual, the ends looked more smooth and healthy.

That said, the results of this treatment were nowhere near as amazing as I expected from reading the reviews. It improved the damage, yes, but I'm not entirely sure I think it's worth the time, effort, and risk of breaking off your hair if you do the steps wrong. I'm not sure if the effects of this treatment are cumulative, but I do plan to buy another sample and test this out again soon to see if the results are better. I'll update my review if things change.

on 12/11/2016 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

A mess to use but extremely effective. I really like this product and the Aphogee brand in general. Their line is no-frills, inexpensive, and very effective.

My hair: unprocessed, fine, thick, and prone to splits.

I wasn't that impressed the first time I used it but I think I didn't dry my hair thoroughly enough with it applied. The second time I used the dryer longer and the layers of protein seem to have accumulated from the previous use. My hair is subtly shinier and smoother and the waves are more defined. My hair feels weird for a few days but it less split prone. I feel like I can go longer between haircuts before my ends get ratty.

A lifetime ago, when I was in middle school and didn't know jack about hair color, I colored my hair jet black over my waist length natural level 8 wheat blond hair (I hated being called dumb blonde!). Fast forward 3 months I decide to go back to my natural color. Not knowing about color removers (thank god for them!!) I decided to bleach my hair. Jet black ends with red roots. I bleached again that day, resulting in orange hair with yellow roots. Next day, another round of bleach. Well...it got me to the color I was looking for, but my hair had the texture of wet noodles, and started snapping off from shoulder length down. I, screaming like a banshee, rushed to Sally's to see if there was a way to fix it. SA led me to this. I had to lop off my glorious hair up above my shoulders, then applied this 2 step system. It worked!! My hair immediately lost that spongy texture and regained it's luster. Only used it the one time, but I never forgot about it. Fast forward about a dozen years, I was trying to remove a particularly stubborn gold undertone from years of copper orange color. Stripped my hair a bit too much, and hair took on a spongy texture, but thankfully no snapping. Used this stuff again with the same great results. I never bleach anyone's hair who've previously dyed their hair and want to bleach it without this in my kit...just in case. This stuff truly saves hair! I can't recommend it enough

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

It as pretty good, but not life changing.
Make sure you wear a shitty shirt so you can just cut it off, lol. Pretty araight forward, east to use. I liked it. Don't be scared of it! :)

on 9/4/2015 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have fine hair that is very damaged from years of coloring. I had gotten to the point where I had a lot of breakage strands of hair were coming out every time I washed my hair. I had to clean out my brush every few days, and hair, hair everywhere like I was shedding. My hair also would not hold color, even permanent color for more than a couple weeks. I have tried reconstructors, protein treatments, and deep conditioners in the past. Reconstructors made my hair worse, and other protein treatments helped with porosity.

This is a bit unlike other products, it is a watery liquid like Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, but application is much different. I followed the directions and saturated my hair with the product then blow dried my hair careful not to "agitate" my hair. As the package said the hair will become very dry and hard, almost crisp. I then rinsed and despite how my hair felt after blow drying once rinsed my hair was only a bit on the dry side.

The second step is a deep conditioner which is to be left on for two minutes. My hair feels great its very smooth and was easy to brush. I typically add oil to my hair after washing and conditioning and did not find that necessary after using this.

This is a must if you have damaged hair from bleaching, coloring, perming, or relaxing.

The first step, the protein treatment has a bit of an odd smell, it's not terrible or overpowering but smells a bit like rotten oranges. A single use kit with both products funs about $4USD, and larger sizes can be purchased separately a varying prices.The single use kit is great to try the product and see if it works without buying the larger sizes and being disappointed, but I don't think its possible not to love this product.

This dramatically reduced hair breakage for me.

I know, we have already established that this product is awesome but I just had to add my review. I LOVE this stuff. I have dyed and fried my hair repeatedly for years (many, MANY chemical cuts) and I can't believe that I didn't know how great this was. I recently stripped out my black hair and went to a medium brown, leaving the front of my hair gummy and dull. I was looking up treatments online and had to try this after reading the reviews.

I had tried re-constructors and protein treatments years ago and got the same straw-like feeling that others have described. Even the Redkin protein treatment left me with rough, dry hair. However, Aphogee left me with healthy feeling, silkier hair even before I used the deep conditioner.

To start, I used my L'Oreal Professoinnel Intense Repair shampoo. I then towel dried and applied the product per the directions (do this over the tub so you don't drip all over the floor). It does sting your hands a bit so gloves wouldn't be a bad idea but they aren't required. Yes, it has a smell but its not terrible. Perms smell worse.

For me, it took FOREVER to dry even with a hand dryer. I sat there drying for about 45 minutes before I couldn't take it any longer. I spent another hour sitting with it without the dryer, then another 15 minutes drying at the end. Even with all of that, the back still wasn't completely dry but since I have short hair back there and it was barely damaged in the back, I figured it was good enough. The crunchy, hard shell rinses out pretty easy. I then sat with the Aphogee conditioner on for about 15 minutes. Again, the conditioner has a strong scent but it's not nearly as bad as some reviewers have described. I kind of enjoyed it. For what the product does, the odor of the treatment and conditioner is a small price to pay.

Results: Is my hair perfect? No. With the damage that my hair had, nothing could ever possibly exist to make it perfect. That said, my hair is WAY better than it was. The severe crunch is gone, it's no longer gummy when wet, and it is way less prone to breakage. I'm still a little frazzled at the very ends and I'm over all still a little frizzy but I'm definitely not complaining. I will definitely be doing this again in 6 weeks.

NOTE: I did this just 2 days after depositing color in my hair and it did make my ashy brown warmer. I knew this was a risk from my cosmetology days (protein tends to push color out of the cuticle) but considering the level of damage I had, I went for it anyway. It's nothing that can't be toned out when my hair is in a little better shape.

Ohhhh myyyy good this stuff is bloody incredible! !! If ur hair is like chewing gum or breaking ur ready to chop it all off and start again stop what ur doin! ! Use this my hair was like mush after bleaching the crap out of it seriously so happy my hair feels lush after the first application so cheap and I spent so much money on conditioning treatments this stuff is legendary!!!! Used on Caucasian hair followed instructions didnt need the conditioner either just used standard conditoner with it cant say thank u enough to the ppl who invented this wonder potion!!!!

on 6/18/2015 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I finally had to give in and buy Aphogee because I was spending lots on money on masks, oils, treatments, leave-ins etc etc, tons of trips to Sally's trying to find a solution for my beat up hair . I was really afraid to try this because people make it sound something out of a scary movie, I read tons on reviews and followed the instructions to a T, in my experience the smell was pretty offensive and the product was really runny, in the advise of another Muaer I put step 1 in a spray bottle (which towards the end the liquid foamed up inside the spray bottle and became super sticky, very hard to apply) and used a trash bag as a shirt. Left it on for one hour and blasted on a off with my blow drier, the most damaged parts (bangs, tips of hair on the back) took the longest to dry, I jumped in the shower and let the warm water wash the product out for 3-5 minutes until the hair softened up, put step #2, massaged and let it sit for about 5 minutes, rinsed and used Aussie 3 minute miracle but I found out that just the Aphogee conditioner would have been enough. In the shower I saw that my hair still looked and felt mushy and stringy but it dried out soft and shiny and it wasn't sticking to my arms/skin, today it looks healthy, a lot less frizzy, feels a little stronger and I got my wavy hair back (I airdried it) is not a total fix, I would say that it improved the look of my hair about 80%, it doesn't look fried anymore but I still don't feel confident to wear it down or heat style it, for hair damaged from bleach and toners like mine the only solution is a haircut, which I don't want, will do a second treatment in 6 weeks, someone mentioned that it took her hair four treatments to have her damaged bleached hair back to normal, so I have a very long journey of about six months ahead, will continue updating.
Update: One week later and hair still spongy in the shower but is not stretchy, dries out faster and got more waves, it's a little on the dry side as I anticipated, will continue with moisture treatments. Three weeks later and my hair feels like a need a treatment already but I don't have zig zaggy, crunchy, funky ends and I was able to keep my length, I don't even need a trim yet, I blew dried my hair but I still don't think my hair is ready for that, still takes a long time to dry and has that weird texture that bleached hair has after the shower, from root to shoulders looks repaired, the ends still look sad.
UPDATE: 6 weeks later and did my second treatment, this time I bought it directly from Sally's and it had no horrible smell at all, will never buy it from Ebay again, that stuff was rancid and probably expired, application this time was much easier, the product wasn't so sticky and I was able to apply it a lot easier, added water to my spray bottle and the product worked out a lot better, blew dried my hair and to my surprise it got crunchy and dry in 25-30 minutes (last application even after one hour my hair was still damp) air dried outside the rest of the time because it was 100F, ended leaving it on for one hour and a half, after I washed out the product I could see that my hair strands didn't have that weird S texture and that the strands were not attaching to each other, a true miracle considering that I have been battling with that since February, used their conditioner with a little bit of Blonde Brilliance warm toned conditioner and it made my hair soft like silk, after the shower my hair looked brand new, no more zig zaggy pattern, my hair wasn't sticking to my arms/skin anymore, air dried in only a couple of hours, don't see a wave pattern this time but my hair looks like it had never touched bleach, I feel like I can heat style my hair again! This could be my last treatment.
Edit: I had a little set back, I had to dye my hair because this treatment made my blonde the color of pee, I had to put some ash back in it and my hair feels extremely soft, like when you have damage and hair feels slimy and soft when wet, I only left the color for 25 minutes. I stopped using protein masks because at this point my hair has enough protein, I started with moisture masks and my hair has a ton of wave and volume again.
October: my hair was getting so crazy tangled that I would wake up with giant mats even though I sleep with a satin bonnet, no detangler or deep conditioner, masks were helping either, when your bleached hair does that is because it needs protein so I decided to go to Sally's and do a treatment, I put on a homemade plastic bib and applied it on towel dried hair, dried it with the blow dryer and it was almost dry in 20 minutes, left it on for one hour and 20 minutes, left the moisturizing conditioner for another hour and my hair came out silky and shiny, like virgin hair

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

First things first, my hair is not overly damaged. I only color it 1-2 times per year with a semi-permanent color, and-up until a few months ago- only heat styled occasionally. The reason I got this product is because everyone raved about it and I have been heatstyling quite often lately, so I figured, what the heck?

I am so glad I got this. My hair felt brand new once I rinsed this stuff off! For me, one of the little trial packets was just enough for my mid-back hair BUT I used gloves during the application process so it didn't soak into my hands at all, if gloves aren't available to you then I HIGHLY recommend getting one of the larger size options.

Also, other reviews talked about having a 20-30 minute wait period under the dryer but for me I felt like it didn't take nearly as long! Maybe because my hair wasn't as damaged? I don't know. But I did the treatment as directed but I skipped using the attached conditioner Step 2 conditioner instead I used my Jason's Henna Color Protect conditioner and left it in for a few hours.

After I rinsed my conditioner out, I wrapped my hair in a towel and left it up for about 2-3 minutes, unwrapped the towel so I could put in my after-shower products and WOW my hair was CURLY!! I thought I had lost my curl due to my hair growing so long, but this stuff brought back my curls! So be prepared to have a new texture/curl-pattern after this! A few days later I also straightened my hair and wow! It was smooth and frizz free!

Unfortunately, each wash I loose the "new hair" feeling BUT the treatment is only suppose to last 6 weeks so that was expected!