Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 6/4/2018 12:35:00 AM

I have bleach blonde hair that is extremely damaged, but getting better with a new stylist:) Anyhow, this treatment is really a pain in the butt to use and I’m not sure the short term results are worth the work. I should mention I used both exactly as directed. First, it stinks. Normally I really don’t care all that much about a products scent so long as it works, but this really stinks. And you have to leave it in, so it’s not something you have to smell only for a few minutes.. Second, I don’t like the idea of my fried bleach blonde hair hardening up like a wicker basket. Seriously, my hair has been through enough. Hardening it up like a wicker basket personally scares me. I swear I lost some strands when I rinsed. Third, the results are short term. Yes, my hair looked better after I used this, but it’s only lasted like 2 washes. Perhaps if I did it weekly, it would build up. Like I said, I don’t know if it’s worth all the time to use this weekly. Also, I have breakage on my hair line and this treatment totally make the damaged hair stick straight up and it was a pain to get the little hairs to stay down even with product. Did I mention this is a time consuming treatment? Like I have to get in the shower, out of the shower, and in again to wash it out, shampoo, condition..

My fiancée looked at me like I was nuts when he caught me blow drying this stuff into my head and I think he smelled it coming out of the bathroom.. Anyhow, I can see how this could work for some people, but my results and the time I put in just don’t equal out for me.
Oh, and you definitely need a spray bottle or something to apply this. It is very awkward to pour this over your head. It gets everywhere and tons of product is wasted.

on 4/1/2018 7:32:00 PM

Aphogee recommends transferring this product to an applicator bottle with a small nozzle (not a spray bottle) since the consistency is thin - I definitely agree. I did not use an applicator bottle and instead just poured this in my hands and it wasted a lot of product. This is also sticky if it gets on your skin.

I bleach and tone my hair and it's porous. I'm always looking for ways to restore my hair's health. I applied this, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and then blow dried it til it hardened at the top and was 90% dry/hard at the tips. I rinsed in the shower and applied the second step. My hair felt so silky. The downside is that I think this altered the color of my toned hair. It's hard to tell because the lighting is poor this time of day, but my hair looks more strawberry blonde than ash blonde now. I'll have to see tomorrow in the sun what it truly looks like. I think when I do this again in 6 weeks, I'll do the protein treatment before toning.

Update: Yep, this made my hair brassy (I toned my hair a few days before using this). Definitely do this before coloring/toning. My hair is soooo soft now though. I’m so glad I purchased this.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

OMG this absolutely ruined my hair. I mean destroyed it. I’m not blaming the product but my own stupidity for using it because I know that as a rule my hair hates protein. Anyway I had bleached my hair a bit lighter a few weeks earlier and it felt slightly out of condition as it usually does after bleaching so I thought I’d use the Aphogee to sort it out. As soon as I started drying my hair after the 2 step treatment it was just snapping off in my hands. I am now left with tufts at the top of my head around my crown that look ridiculous and when its windy they stand up on end, its almost like a really short layer has been put in accros the top of my hair and each piece is about 2 inches long and the rest of my hair is quite long. It continued to snap and feel unbelieveably crunchy. I had to steam it and add salt to my conditioner to rid as much protein as I could, then used Matrix hydrasource deep conditioning mask as often as possible and its only just starting to almost resemble hair again (apart from the tufts making me look like a troll of course) I know this Aphogee works wonders for some people so the only advice I can give is if your hair doesnt like proteins, dont use this.

on 2/9/2018 3:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Aphogee is MAGIC. I was so so so so sad because I ruined my hair and curls with Loreal High Color Highlights.... but now I'm glad I did because I discovered APHOGEE. I did not know a product could work this well... I tried it after searching YouTube for hair repair. I picked it up at Sally's for a good price and my hair looks AMAZING, better than it did even before I ever died it!! Would recommend it to anyone, even if your hair is only a little dammaged. Also follow the instructions carefully.

on 12/18/2017 4:43:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really like the Aphogee two step system, I have used it two or three times now and the effects seem to be cumulative. I honestly think that it helps damaged hair as much or more than Olaplex which is hard to get and much more expensive. I have heavily highlighted hair and I heat style frequently so my hair can become very straw-like and brittle if I am not careful. The Aphogee treatment always leaves it feeling thicker and shiny although I do have to use a leave in as well as it can be a little drying. The smell is not great and it is kind of a pain in the butt to have to dry it into your hair and all, but it lasts for over a month. I think the hassle is definitely worth it.

on 12/15/2017 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This is not for afro textured hair. It will jack your hair up. You have been warned.

on 10/19/2017 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As I've found with all Aphogee products they are outstanding! This along with their other products have brought my dry over processed hair back to life. Have used this twice now and can't say enough good about it. Price is very affordable and results are fantastic. I will never use anything but Aphogee products on my hair from now on!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I'm only reviewing the Aphogee Protein Treatment (white bottle), not the Balancing Conditioner (purple). For the record I dont have damaged hair or bleached hair, so I cant say how this works on those types of hair. However I've been doing Curly Girl method and people at nc.com recommend to do a protein treatment, since my hair so baby fine, it cant hold a curl without hard hold gel. Before getting Aphogee, Ive been doing a diy protein treatment at home using gelatin (knox brand). I just mix a tbsp with 1 cup water, a bit of apple cider vinegar and put it in my hair. So far Ive been curious how gelatin compares to actual protein treatment since its kinda sketchy putting jello on your hair and expecting any benefit at all. Now that Ive tried both, at least in my hair and experience, gelatin and Aphogee has the same effect on me. I do like Aphogee more because it gave my hair ringlets and less frizz. Application wise, theyre the same. They both make hair hard when dry. I use heat from my blow dryer, rinse it off and then use a conditioner. I dont need to use heavy conditioner afterwards, but thats just my hair. So if you dont have terribly damaged hair, or also wanting to only maintain curly hair, just get yourself a box of Knox or bovine gelatin. There are a lot of gelatin hair treatment recipes where you can mix it with aloe or honey to make it more beneficial for your hair.

on 9/21/2017 6:45:00 PM

I purchased this product from the reviews on this board...boy am I glad I did! My hair is over processed blonde, and I do still heat style. It was just dry and fuzzy and awful.

I needed to refresh my color so got this product, did as directed and the following day did my color. My hair has totally changed! It is soft, shiny, healthy bouncy perfect.

Doubt I'll ever use anything else going forward to keep my hair in top shape

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Wow wow wow. I just did it today for the first time in my life. This thing is a hair salvation. It's amazing. I don't even have words to describe how good this is. I have blond heavely highlighted hair, overprocessed as f*ck. It's not mushy, it's dry and brittle and it tangles a lot and after it tangles I have to untagle it and then it breaks off. So if you have hair like mine and you do your online research you will probably think that your hair doesn't need protein. You will be scared to use this on your hair. You will probably think that you will end up with protein overload and that your hair will fall out, snap out. At least I was, for a long time. Well guess what, there is no such thing as protein overload there is only lack of moisture. Every dyed or bleached or thermicaly abused hair is more or less damaged hair and every damaged hair needs protein. Then after you use this magical protein following the aphogee instructions you will use the matching balancing moisturizer and your hair will be balanced and silky and healthy as never before. So don't be scared, go ahead and use it. At least I will be every 4 weeks for the rest of my blonde life........

Popular Hair Treatments