Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

There is nothing- NOTHING more sexy that sitting across from your date at a candlelit dinner watching him watching you as your new blonde hair falls out of your head and onto your decollete.
However, I am sexy enough. So I decided to try to put an end to this lest there be men chasing after me in the streets.
I went straight to the source, MUA. Though you never let me down, I must admit that after reading the accolades for this product I was sceptical. "These miracles just don't happen to me." I thought woefully as I read rave after rave.
But they did.

My hair has been dyed, fried and laid to the side. What was once a black glossy mane is now a bright light blonde "pouf" reminiscent of cotton candy in texture. I love it. Except the afore mentioned falling out of my scalp. Oh... and the fact that it looked... well.. fried.

I only used the protein step and followed up with a Nexxus moisturizer (couldn't find the Aphogee conditioner intended for use after this.).

I put it on (made a huge mess but that's how I do) and just kind of piled my now mid-neck length hair on my head. I used a blow dryer on hot/medium. Took about 15 minutes to get hard (insert stupid dirty joke here). Washed it out, applied the Nexxus, and actually combed that through and left it in until later in the day.

My hair is amazingly improved. It is glossy (as glossy as bleached blonde dark brown/black hair can be) and feels like I can run my fingers through it without taking a good percentage of it with me!

In regard to the scent (or odor) - this smells like overripe fruit. Not great but I've put up with worse for less.

Thank you MUA and if you're thinking about trying this -do!

on 4/16/2012 11:47:00 PM

Let's be clear.

There is nothing as good as this. Nothing. No protein re-structuring product has the force of this one. Not Redken Extreme, nor Paul Mitchel, Nor Nexuus - nor the list of other high end mega potions.

This one is cheap, and weird to use - but it is PROFESSIONAL quality. So not made to lure the over-the-counter lovely packaging, nice smell crew.

To use: shampoo hair. Towel dry. Distribute loads through all your hair (be warned it is sticky and slimy and odd smelling). Then pile your hair on top of your head and settle down for a long session with the hairdryer. I have a hood dryer so that it is easy. But either way, loads of heat for a long time.

This stuff sets rock hard. Solid. Then keep applying the heat. Reckon on minimum 1/2 up to one whole hour. It's the heat that catalyzes the protein to form new "hair" and replace the old, treated apology for hair I had before.

Then gently moisten all the hair - which is now set rock solid - SO DO NOT USE THE HEAT WITH THE HAIR LYING DOWN YOUR BACK IF YOU ARE GOING TO HANG YOUR HEAD OVER THE BATH AFTERWARDS. Moisten thoroughly until the hair begins to soften. Then rinse it all out. Finish with a conditioner - yes, this is not a conditioner in the sense of all those things you buy that add moisture, silicones and softness. So you need to finish with your regular conditioner.

That's it. Oh yeh - and say welcome back to hair that is like real, live, lovely hair. The sort of stuff you had before you bleached it, bombed it, fried it, pulled it. dehydrated it, curled it and stripped it of all meaningful life.

I repeat, nothing else on this planet is as good at this stuff for reviving dead ex-hair and returning it to its living state.

Happy revival.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using this product for two years now and have got the routine down that works best for me. I nearly broke off every hair on my head down to an inch from my scalp three years ago over a summer of using SUN -IN !! It wasn't untill Fall that I realized the whole sneaky , slow attack that crap had on my hair. Shocking. I HAD no hair. My hairdresser drilled me on the use of Sun-IN and how danergerous it was ; but the product label doesn't warn you so beware-
I started using Aphogee Treatment and my hair stopped breaking immediatly. Now it's way past my shoulders and in great condition. I had my hair trimmed last month and my hairdresser commented on it's great condition and improvement so fast. My hair does not break as long as I keep up with treatment. If your hair is breaking daily you need to use this to stop it and keep up with it till ALL the damaged hair is CUT OFF. This is how I do it : Shampoo with a clarifying, towel dry. Apply Aphogee ( I've tried many different ways ) apply enough that your hair is totally saturated untill dripping. Wring out excess ( over a big bowl as to save it for next time. This stuff is expensive ) put towel around shoulders under hair to catch the dripping and keep it of your skin. ( It stings bad ) It will continue to drip even though you swear it's starting to harden. Remove towel while hair is still pliable but dripping has stopped. The directions say use a hair dryer, I do for about 15 minutes - then I find something to do for 4 hours while it sits and hardens. This is key. You must put in the time to see results. I've read some people don't use a dryer at all - you don't have to, just make sure it's totally dry and hard before rinsing. You can also water it down a little - mix it in a separate bottle - put it on and let dry. Now the rinse. Not exactly easy.. keep in mind, this is a salon job your doing yourself at home and one wrong move could snap it all off..hence the warning..like putting it on, I've tried many ways of getting it out without touching my head. There's only one way I have found. Draw a bath, get in and lay back till your head is totally under water. Wait. A while. After about 4 minutes your hair will start to soften. Gently rinse it out till it's all out...get under the shower to continue the rinse for about 5 more minutes. If it is not totally out of your hair it will turn out dry, frizzy and could even break; you won't be able to comb it. When it's all out, apply the second step. The directions say leave in 5 minutes, I leave it in an hour, rinse and apply your regular conditioner ( a moisturizing one, not a protein one) . If you can make it through all this mess and headache you WILL have long hair- but you must do it every 6-8 weeks, and use moisturing hair products in-between. This whole process takes about a day, but if your hair is so damaged you should be wearing a wig, this is the way to do it.
UPDATE:
Use this only 1 or 2 times over the course of your hair length. Routine usage will break your hair off. Eventually.

on 8/23/2013 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

BENEFITS
- Great for all hair types. Works for chemically damanged hair, but also natural 4A hair, and relaxed AA hair too. Protein doesnt discriminate.

- Strengthens hair
- Softens hair (when followed w/ appropriate moisturizing DCs)
- Adds shine because of smooth happy hair shaft
- Stops shedding
- Stops breakage
- Prevents/protects against/binds split ends
- Looks like a fresh trim and helps to retuain length
- Makes curly curls POP!
- Protects from heat damage for frequent heat stylers
- Great value. 1 small bottle lasts for about 4 applications on my very dense, textured naturally curly mid-length hair. Spreads well.

You MUST follow up with an intense MOISTURIZING deep conditioner after, preferably without silicones that will coat your hair. That can make your hair waxy blocking the potential of future humectants to enter your hair strand without using a claifying shampoo on subsequent washes.

I follow instruction steps, with some modifications:

- Use a clarifying shampoo first. I think removing any and all buildup from your hair with a clarifying shampoo first allows a clean slate for the protein to bind to the hair shaft. Then I squeeze all water out and blot dry with towel.

- Section hair into 4 sections, and loosely twist and pin before getting under a hooded dryer or hand blow drying until hard. This ensures all areas of hair are covered well. Concentrate more product on areas of damage. It can strengthen those areas but "dry out" healthy areas (e.g. roots where hair is newest, least exposed to heat and damage, and healthiest).

- Leave it on a few min after it hardens to ensure everything binds and cools and seals a bit.

- Rinse out without agitating. If there are tough spots to detangle that would require agitating, I add conditioner to help rinse. Having it in 4 sections helps during this part to.

- I use my own conditioner, its much better quality than the recommended balancing moisturizer in the kit. Also, my hair laughs at 3 minutes for a moisturizing treatment. So I leave it on much longer, and if I have time, get back under the dryer with heat. I would say 15 min. minimum with heat, 30 and a hot towel without. My favorite conditioner to use with this treatment is either Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner or Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm. For a cheapie and those on a budget I would recommend using Tresseme Moisturizing Conditioner. It will melt all that hardness right away.

Final thoughts: Everyones hair is different and you have to figure out what works for you, know what is healthy for YOUR hair and what isnt - there are basic essentials of hair health like what causes hard hair, splits, etc. that are important to know before an intense treatment. You can't just read reviews from someone else and assume it will be the same because of age or hair type - no one has the same. We have different genese, styling practices, hair routines, product tolerance, scalp environments, etc. But this is a great staple and has very high strong reviews for a reason. Good luck!

on 3/16/2011 2:55:00 PM

I've been using aphogee 2 step treatment on and off for the past year. I have to say this product has improved my hair tremendously. For reference I have naturally brown hair that's thin and there's not a lot of it. I've been putting my hair through horrendous damage for the past 4 years or so. I mean within that time period I've went from black to blonde at least 5 times, and bleach already damages your hair, but imagine the damage it did when I kept changing my hair color every few months. I also abused my hair by straightening it daily, and wearing fusion extensions 2 years ago that practically ripped out half of my hair. So finally I came across MUA and decided to do something to bring my fried hair to life. I saw all the reviews regarding the aphogee 2 step treatment and read a very helpful notepad by katdan here's the link: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/katdan
So basically I limitedly purchased this at Sallys and have been using it since then. This is exactly what I do:
1. I use coconut oil as a pre-treatment, I saturate my dry hair and massage some onto the scalp also. I leave this on over night but I'm sure 30-60 minutes would work fine.
2.Next I clarify my hair using the V05 kiwi lime squeeze shampoo, since I heard protein works better on clean, product free hair and my hair tends to get a lot of buildup.
3.I apply the aphogee 2 step treatment all through my towel dried hair and use a wide tooth comb to distribute it evenly. I make sure to work quickly, since it does dry fast.
4. Next I blow dry my hair for about 30-40 minutes on high heat, low fan. I know 30 minutes of blow drying is hard but I noticed it works better the longer you apply heat to it since protein sticks to your hair when heat is used.
5. I leave it on an additional 30 minutes, and once my hair is fully hard I rinse it out.
6.I apply the balancing moisturizer, cover my head with a shower cap, leave that on for about an hour and apply heat also.
7. I rinse everything out, apply morrocon oil and let my hair air dry.

I know this is a lot of steps and very time consuming, but I only do this once every 6 weeks, so I treat this as spa day(: I fully recommend this for anyone with extremely damaged hair, this is truly a hair saver, and if you're skeptical just try out the sample packet which costs less than 4 $ at sallys.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I just finished using this product. I had previously used it on clients in the salon, but never gave it a try personally. I'm so glad I tried it! My hair is platinum blonde, fine and prone to breakage. I have been doing the blonde for quite some time and I felt my hair needed a little love. I had a bit of breakage going on in the back and I really didn't want to cut it. So I picked this up from my local beauty supply. Works wonders! My hair is soft, smooth, manageable and healthy again. As a stylist, I know how important it is to use products AS DIRECTED. I read quite a bit of reviews on here before I posted my own and noticed a lot of people did not use this as directed. And it didn't work-what do you expect? If you aren't going to use it as directed, don't use it at all. It is after all, for PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY. But if you dutifully follow the instructions, you should be okay. This product can be a little messy, but not if you have someone to help you, or if you don't, just use this technique: in small amounts, drip the product onto the very top of your head, using a wide tooth comb, pull it through . It's as simple as that. Do not comb or agitate the hair once this product is in, you will be sorry if you do. You could literally lose all your hair. Use a hand dryer with ample heat and apply the heat to the hair. Slow motions! Again, try not to move or agitate the hair too much. Blow dry until your hair feels hard to the touch. DO NOT USE A CAP, DO NOT LEAVE IN FOR A LONG TIME/OVERNIGHT/etc. the product is not meant for this. It opens your hair cuticle to allow the keratin and protein to enter the hair shaft. Once your hair is hard, rinse well-do not agitate hair while rinsing. Once the treatment is rinsed, blot hair with a towel and follow up with the balancing moisturizer. This is a very important step and it cannot be skipped. Do not mix this conditioner with anything. Use it by itself. Apply to the hair, wide tooth comb again, leave in for 2-5 minutes TOPS. Rinse with cool water to close the hair cuticle. Comb once more and leave to air dry. *only use once every six weeks *be sure to use a clarifying shampoo before beginning this process. And btw, the smell is not that bad at all. It reminds me of rhubarb. The conditioner smells pretty heavy though. Not my favourite smell :)

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Now let me get into the nitty gritty of this product. First let me start off by saying this product is A1. I'm a naturalista my hair type is maybe 4b/c however its soft and on the finer side. Now sometime last year my hair begun to feel too soft and way too limp for my liking so like I always do I hit the net and do some research. Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment stood out. So of course i researched it some more and the dramatic feedback made me a bit hesitant to buy it. Anyhoooo went to my local drugstore saw it bite the bullet and bought it. When i got home i said a quick prayer(to protect my hair lol) read the instructions thoroughly(i think like 4 times) i had to get it right then start the process. Btw it comes with the protein treatment and the balancing moisturizing conditioner(try and get both)

The Process
So first i shampoo my hair and towel dry. Now comes the protein treatment. Now i must tell you like what most says IT STINKS!!!! But bearable. After applying it i comb through my hair so its evenly distributed after that you can either use a hooded dryer or the other one. Since i have the other one i'll put it ob high and dry my hair with the protein treatment still in it. Here comes the dramatic part, ur hair tends to get so hard however dont comb, brush or agitate it so much(i dnt know what will happen, just dont). After drying your hair for abt 3 minutes its safe to wash it out. When doing so wet hair with preferbly warm water. After most of the protein is out and hair becomes soft. Continue running water on it until protein is completly gone. TRUST ME wgen i say this you'll feel a complete difference in your hair its as if it got stronger.

After washing out the protein towel dry your hair then apply balancing moisturizer(this smells pretty decent far from overbearing as step 1) so basically this is used to restore the moisture in your hair(its so dope) plan on using it even after step 1 finishes. But for real tho cop this product plus its affordable all you gotta do is read the instructions and this review and it'll be successful. I advise doing this couple weeks before installing braids weave or any othet protective style

Reference to bleach/colored hair
So i recently bleach and color my hair and i wanted to try aphogee again but i was abit nervous since i didnt want it affecting the color. Did it earlier today and again worked like a charm. And jay is a happy camper

Ignore the tlks abt the smell or the process or any other negative review and get this badss. You wont regret it

Why I never tried this...I don't know... I've tried so many products at Sally's---I can spend hours in that store!! Well, I guess I'll never learn, because I started out by coloring my roots, then decided they were too brassy, then started coloring my hair again and again. The absolute worst thing I did was apply L'oreal Hair Color Remover to get rid of a green tinged ashy color I had after trying to reverse the brassiness. I've used the OOPS color remover before, thinking the L'oreal was the same- well it wasn't- it was basically straight up bleach that left me with fried out yellow-orange hair! NEVER use that stuff!!! It's evil.
Anyway, once I got the color back to a normal shade, I used this --after reading the reviews- went to Sally's and bought the big bottle-- BTW- the pink bottle step 2 is free with the Sally's coupon for the month of March, so I thought that would be a better deal...I followed the directions, however I didn't wash my hair- I just spritzed it with a bit of water to get it damp- then followed the directions. I dried it with my hairdryer, then let it sit for about two hours. Yes this stuff does have an offensive smell- someone said "cat pee"-- yeah, that's right on. Once it dries, the smell goes away, then comes back once you rinse. I can deal with it, though. I did what the other poster wrote about getting in the bath and putting your head back in the water. I was terrified of my hair perhaps snapping off if I tried rinsing in the shower. I hardly have any hair to begin with! I just didn't want to touch it at all. That worked really well. I applied step two and then rinsed and let my hair dry naturally. I could tell my hair felt stronger and I could actually run my fingers through it- before it was like ratty mush. Now, it's a few days later and my hair looks and feels pretty much back to normal. I still have some fried ends that I think I will go in and get trimmed, but I'm so happy with this product. I think I will do another treatment in about a week. I've tried Nexxus Emergencee and this is sooo much better overall. Just when you think "you've really done it this time" with your hair-- go try this. You will forgive yourself.

Edited to Add: I know the directions suggest to use this every six weeks-- I decided to give myself another treatment after only two weeks.
Here's my advice--*wait at least six weeks*-- I think my hair had protein overload and it became dry for about a week after I did that second treatment.
It's okay again. now. Just too much protein is not a good thing!
I recently purchased a *bonnet style* hairdryer. The brand is Carel. I've seen them at Sally beauty supply for about $50.00. I lucked out and found one that was like new at Goodwill for $5.00. This is a great investment if you do a lot of coloring/bleaching. It works great with this treatment. It allows you to heat your hair much hotter and more evenly than when you use a hand held dryer, plus you can sit at the computer or do your nails while it's on. If it gets too hot, then I will turn it off for a few minutes, then turn it on again. It also is great for just doing deep conditioning treatments. I try to do this on a weekly basis.

What it is: From the Aphogee website:
"This unique treatment is formulated with magnesium and modified proteins which fuse into the hair with the application of heat. The result is that breakage is drastically reduced. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a salon service product unlike any product available for at-home use. During the process, ApHogee treatment hardens into the hair, dramatic evidence that something special is occurring. For best results a hooded dryer is required. After rinsing and moisturizing with ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer, clients are astounded with the results. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment can help improve other salon services as well. This remedial process is highly recommended for hair that:
Is too weak or fine to take a perm or relaxer. (use the week PRIOR to service)
Is over-bleached.
Will not hold color. (use PRIOR to color application)
Breaks when combed or brushed.
Is mushy when wet and brittle after drying."

Why I love it:
I bought this product at the behest of the makeupalley.com hair board after pleading with them for a miracle product to fix my sticky, porous, brittle hair, a product of overuse of evil Sun-In while at the beach and daily heat-styling. My hair was damaged from the tips to four inches below the roots-- I would have had to have a bowl-cut if I wanted to cut out all the damage to prevent it from spreading further! There was no way I would allow this to happen.

Enter Aphogee. After shampooing my hair with Aphogee's Shampoo for Damaged Hair, I shook up the Aphogee Two-Step Reconstructor and generously applied the yellow, watery product with my hands. I used a wide-tooth comb to distribute it evenly through-out my hair, making sure the extra-damaged areas were thoroughly soaked. When my hair was combed into a position where I felt comfortable with it stay that way, I turned on my hair dryer with the setting on hot, but the fan on low. You do not want your hair to move at all once it starts becoming hard, as it may break more (although slight movements didn't seem to harm my hair). The heat from the hairdryer bakes the protein into the damaged areas of the strands. Once the hair can't get any harder (generally after an hour or two), rinse it out in the shower, and apply a very thick, deep conditioner. Leave in the deep conditioner for 5-15 mnutes with a towel wrapped around your head. Use the wide-tooth comb when you're rinsing it out to detangle it. Let your hair air-dry; don't heat-style afterwards-- give your poor, damaged hair a break-- and wait to see the miraculous change in your hair!

My hair was almost completely repaired! There is such an incredible difference in my hair that I can barely tell it was ever damaged. Its a little rough in the places that were incredibly damaged, but there was a 90% improvement in my hair. I'll continue using the product monthly until the damage has grown out enough to be cut off. I'd highly recommend this product to ANYONE with brittle or sticky hair that is prone to breakage. It brought my hair from the brink of disaster!

Where to buy it (and how much):
Sally's Beauty Supply or any other hair supply store for $19.99 for 16 oz bottle or about $5.99 for a 4 oz bottle.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I have african american 4a/b relaxed hair. Very fine.

I bought a sample of this from a black beauty supply for $3.50. Its a joined pack of both the protein and balancing moisturizer with a perforated line between the two

Week after my relaxer. I washed with Keracare Hydrating detangling then poured the protein in my hair paying special attn to the damaged ends, but applying from root to tip and combing through with Jilbere shower comb.

Be sure to SHAKE THE BOTTLE of protein first! If you have the sample packet, agitate it, squish it around before you open it. The elements divide and you'll just get dark brown liquid, whatevers on top if you dont shake first. Shake it should be light brown, runny, and smell like a dead body. Dont worry about the smell. It wears off to something totally innocuous by the time you are done styling.

DO NOT PUT ON A PLASTIC CAP.

Also refrain from twisting your hair into a bun b/c the the ends take forever to dry. Its good it you can just kind of lay the ends on top of your head so that they are exposed to the hot air.

I sat under the hooded dryer and the roots got rock hard after 20 minutes. The lengths of my hair not so much. Had to come out and hit that part with a blow dryer for it to get rock hard.

Went to the sink ran lots of warm water over it for a warm time and it instantly got soft again, soft but with a fortified feeling.

Applied the balancing moisturizer. Love this stuff. So white, so creamy, the quintessential humectant. I think you could just as easily follow with any creamy conditioner. Im gonna try it with Kerastase Masquintense, Loreal Intense Repair, Bumble super rich etc but bottom line is YOU MUST USE A MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER AFTER THIS.

Hair gets really moisturised with their balancing stuff. That stuff is really rich and smells pleasant. Leave it two minutes. Though I advocate longer if you have the time.

Great stuff for strengthening the hair. Im thinking I might use it week before relaxers to prevent hair from being broken down so much. I dont know if i can use it more often than every 4-6.

Definitintely a heavy duty protein treatment. Stronger than Keracare super reconstructor? Im not sure. Those two are probably on par with each other.

Heavier than Duo Tex. Much heavier than Joico K-Pak which is probably a decent moisturizing conditioner for weekly use.

Im gonna make it part of my regular routine. You can moisturize all you want but only protein prevents breakage and thereby helps you maintain lenght. This is what ive come to realize.

Try this. You wont be disappointed.