Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 6/1/2007 6:17:00 PM

This treatment is absolutely fantastic - it actually fixes my damaged (Caucasian) hair, making it stronger and smoother! It's a pain to carry it out - you have to apply this (smelly) liquid treatment to wet hair, then dry it with a hairdryer, then rinse it out, then use a moisturizing conditioner - but the end result is amazing. It smells awful because of the protein in it, which is also what makes your hair hard when you dry it. Once you add some moisture back, though, it feels great. (I normally use Nexxus Humectress to moisturize afterward, and I think ApHogee actually markets a "balancing moisturizer" for use after this treatment.) I use ApHogee after every haircut, and whenever my hair is looking damaged and split(from my flat-iron, usually). It also saved my friend's hair, which was breaking off from all the coloring/drying/ironing she did.

on 6/29/2007 6:33:00 PM

Yes, I agree w/the previous poster; this is one of the BEST protein treatments. It gets the job done! I have bleached naturally curly hair that I straighten twice a week. Because of my stupid experimentations I am suffering serious damage and breakage. Well Aphogee is keeping the hair that I do have ON my head so that I can grow it out and even it up. It makes my hair feel stronger and smoother, but only after I follow it up w/a great moisturizing conditioner. I leave Aphogee treatment on for about an hour and then follow up with my moisturizing conditioner for several hours with heat and sometimes overnight. You won't believe how soft your hair feels after doing this!

This product has absolutely saved my hair! I am actually amazed at the condition of my hair after using this stuff.
I recently had a REALLY horrible highlighting experience at a salon I decided to try. My hair was already a little damaged fom previous highlights, and straightning it with a ceramic flat iron. I went to the salon to get highlights and she wanted to lift my roots because they were dark and it turned orange, so she decided to bleach all my roots. My hair was toned about 4 times then died brown because she realized the brassiness would not be eliminated with anymore bleach unless my hair fell out. My hair was brittle, dry with straw like qualities and an ugly mouse green brown! I went back a week later for more highlights and my hair was a little more dry after that but at least i could live with the color!
I started researching products on here for seriously damaged hair and this one really caugth my eye. The positive reviews seemed to really out-weigh the negative reviews, however I was still a little hesistant because the thought that my hair could break off and fall out when its hard really scared me! The lady at Sally beauty told me that its really nothing to worry about, just be cautious when the treatmant is hard and dried to you hair.
I used this blow dried my hair on high heat with low setting for a half hour, rinsed it out very gently then but the Aphogee balancing moisturizer in. I left it in under a shower cap for a good half hour, let it air dry and vola! My hair is actually in the same condition it was before I stepped foot into that salon! Its still not PERFECT but thats not what i was looking for, my hair actually feels healthy and not even brittle! I can't say enough about this stuff.

on 10/23/2007 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Icky and god-awful stinky to apply. Do not manipulate hair in any way once applied, or you may suffer tangling and greater breakage. I applied this and sat under the hair drier for around 20 minutes. Rinse gently and thoroughly, then follow up with moisturizing conditioner for at least 10 minutes. The protein treatment irritated my skin (neck, shoulders, chest, and back), skin looked a little crepey and itchy. But this really works. My hair looked visibly stonger, healthier compared to the weepy, dried up birds nest it was before, and it feels great.Softer, and much fuller. I am double processed (relaxer and highlights), so I believe I will be using this product regularly every 6 weeks now.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This product is the best for immediate improvement in my hair. This is the only treatment ive used that i know for a fact makes my hair stronger. I do hate the smell. I have to pair it with a heavily purfumed conditioner to mask it. I also dislike the packaging. I wish it came in a easy to pour bottle like the ones for hair color. Edit: knocking this down a few since it contains animal proteins that can build up on the hair. Not cool.

on 12/28/2007 12:31:00 PM

I have longgg long blonde hair that is extremely fine - but I have a *ton* of it, so my hair looks extremely thick. It damages extremely easily; I have breakage in the morning just from sleeping on it.

I followed the directions in Katdan's notepad on using Aphogee and read the other reviews here, and I felt adequately prepared. Application is definitely a little tricky, especially with the hair being so damp - it's hard to tell if you've missed any areas, because they're wet anyway! The smell is bad, but not life-threatening - kind of like rancid cocoa butter. The worst part for me was blow-drying my hair on low for about 25 minutes. I didn't want to agitate my hair, but when you have skinny sticks for arms like me, they get tired easily, hah.

After I rinsed I used a cholesterol/hot-oil treatment for about 25 minutes. The results: my hair FEELS much better, but my straw-like ends don't look much better. I think I'm going to have to cut them off. But I think the rest of my hair looks great!

on 1/21/2008 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Wow...!

I bought a sample size of this at Sally's on a whim. The results were much better than I expected! I think that this has performed better than any conditioner/treatment that I've EVER used.

The sample included the shampoo as well as the conditioner to use afterwards. I did follow the directions and shampooed first, towel-dried, then applied the protein treatment...this stuff does smell bad, like rancid oil...and it's runny and messy...and I don't think that the 1 oz. package had quite enough product for my fine but thick shoulder-length hair. However, I worked it through as best I could, even though it was very sticky and hard to do. Combing it through was almost impossible. I then used my hand dryer for about 10-15 minutes, being careful not to "agitate" my hair as directed as it hardened and dried. Rinsing over the laundry tub was a PITA --next time I'll do it in the shower. I left the follow-up conditioner in only 10 minutes or so, but after I rinsed and blow-dried, my hair was noticeably smoother, more hydrated and healthier looking. Even a week later, the results are still noticeable. I will definitely try this again in a month or so, before my next color job.

EDIT: This is still a 5-lippie, even tho it's a PITA to use...
I've found and use Emergencee more often as a quicker fix, but Aphogee conditions my hair MUCH better.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have long highlighted hair that is dry and in the process of growing out. I deep condition and yet nothing seems to help my hair look/feel better, so after reading the rave reviews on this I had to try it. I too followed the instructions from Katdan's notepad for this treatment. The whole process took about a half hour for me. Other reviewers did a great job explaining the process and smell so I won't go into more detail about it, however I do want to emphasize that you really need to set aside time and have the energy to sit with a hair dryer on until the treatment dries. I only used this once and although my hair feels stronger, I don't think it's a miracle in a bottle, although it is really hard to tell the difference for me. All in all, I will keep doing deep conditioning treatments and use this and see if I get better results. UPDATE: My hair is basically grown out from when I originally wrote this review. I still do this treatment once every few months or so, for maintenance. I think it is effective, however the SMELL has a tendency to linger the last few times I did the treatment, making it harder for me to set aside time to use this product. The price we pay for beauty!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

These came in packets. I had one with the added balancer to use after the treatment. The shampoo smelled really good - Grapefruit, but the conditioner stunk to high heaven. The balancer lightly moisturized my hair and left it bouncy and shiny.My hair felt and looked very healthy. It also helped bring out some of my curls. Protein can be very drying if you don't follow it up with something moisturizing. Plus, if you have a problem with proteins in general, than this would not be for you.There was not that much frizz either. If you have damaged or dry hair, I would give this a shot.

what i want to know is why i haven't heard about this wonderful product in till now! this was such a great treatment for my fine thin hair. i have been trying to grow out my hair but its hard when i have to get an inch cut off each time b/c my hair has so much breakage, so i'm hoping this will really help with that.