Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Filtered by age: 25-29
Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.8

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I'm only reviewing the Aphogee Protein Treatment (white bottle), not the Balancing Conditioner (purple). For the record I dont have damaged hair or bleached hair, so I cant say how this works on those types of hair. However I've been doing Curly Girl method and people at nc.com recommend to do a protein treatment, since my hair so baby fine, it cant hold a curl without hard hold gel. Before getting Aphogee, Ive been doing a diy protein treatment at home using gelatin (knox brand). I just mix a tbsp with 1 cup water, a bit of apple cider vinegar and put it in my hair. So far Ive been curious how gelatin compares to actual protein treatment since its kinda sketchy putting jello on your hair and expecting any benefit at all. Now that Ive tried both, at least in my hair and experience, gelatin and Aphogee has the same effect on me. I do like Aphogee more because it gave my hair ringlets and less frizz. Application wise, theyre the same. They both make hair hard when dry. I use heat from my blow dryer, rinse it off and then use a conditioner. I dont need to use heavy conditioner afterwards, but thats just my hair. So if you dont have terribly damaged hair, or also wanting to only maintain curly hair, just get yourself a box of Knox or bovine gelatin. There are a lot of gelatin hair treatment recipes where you can mix it with aloe or honey to make it more beneficial for your hair.

I bought a one time use sample of this treatment a few years ago, but procrastinated actually using it because the steps seemed so drawn out, and I was freaked out by the idea of my hair breaking off. I dye my own hair from medium brown to blonde, and my ends can get very parched and visibly damaged. Recently it was getting so bad that I decided to take the plunge.

The steps were less annoying and the process was less time consuming than I expected. I will recommend that when you apply the protein treatment, don't let your hair lay down your back while it dries. My hair was down my back and as it hardened and stuck to my skin, I could feel each little movement I made was tugging on the hair.

I won't go into more details about the steps because others have written much more detailed and knowledgeable how-tos, and I pretty much followed their steps and advice to a tee.

The results: initially I really thought the treatment didn't make any difference. I typically smother my hair with cones in order to look presentable, and so it's not until the second or third day after washing, blow drying, and applying the products that conceal the damage, that my hair begins to show its true, strawlike nature. It was around then on the second or third day that I noticed this *did* make a difference, my hair looked less damaged than usual, the ends looked more smooth and healthy.

That said, the results of this treatment were nowhere near as amazing as I expected from reading the reviews. It improved the damage, yes, but I'm not entirely sure I think it's worth the time, effort, and risk of breaking off your hair if you do the steps wrong. I'm not sure if the effects of this treatment are cumulative, but I do plan to buy another sample and test this out again soon to see if the results are better. I'll update my review if things change.

on 3/30/2017 5:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I used this product before, great stuff

on 3/30/2017 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been aware of this product and its rave reviews for probably 7 years and never used it. I want to go back in time and shake myself. For some reason I didn't think this could be that much better than K-Pak, and I had already tried Olaplex. Y'all...this is so much better than K-Pak and Olaplex doesn't do the same thing at all, those do the equivalent of nothing compared to this. I can play with my hair without it instantly turning into a tangled nasty mess for the first time in years. YEARS. I have the most overprocessed hair ever. I'm as picky about color as I am indecisive about it, and at one point I tried to force myself to stop changing my hair color by committing to a henna/indigo dark brown. This just resulted in me desperately bleaching the living hell out of it, and it is now platinum. It's probably been bleached all over 7 times. Even before that it was already very damaged, so I am an extreme case.

This stuff makes my hair behave like genuinely healthy hair. There is zero silicone on my hair right now and I can't stop running my finger through it, it's so smooth. I followed the directions to a T. I did use a spray bottle to apply it more evenly (helps a ton) and I used an inflatable hood dryer (highly recommend these) til my hair was bone dry. My hair felt like a wicker basket. I thoroughly rinsed it out and then used a light detangling type conditioner (not the accompanying conditioner, way too fragranced and I'm sensitive), and threw some avocado oil on the ends. Nothing fancy, no cones, and my hair feels comparable to its virgin condition. A lot of curly haired girls say this stuff returned their curl pattern, well this returned mine too only my curl pattern is just straight lol. It doesn't have that telltale overlightened wavy, fluffy thing going on anymore. It's only like 4 bucks for the packet at Sallys so you have nothing to lose. I plan on buying the biggest size next time. if your hair is chemically treated you can't afford not to buy this stuff, it makes everything else look like a joke.

on 12/11/2016 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

A mess to use but extremely effective. I really like this product and the Aphogee brand in general. Their line is no-frills, inexpensive, and very effective.

My hair: unprocessed, fine, thick, and prone to splits.

I wasn't that impressed the first time I used it but I think I didn't dry my hair thoroughly enough with it applied. The second time I used the dryer longer and the layers of protein seem to have accumulated from the previous use. My hair is subtly shinier and smoother and the waves are more defined. My hair feels weird for a few days but it less split prone. I feel like I can go longer between haircuts before my ends get ratty.

on 11/5/2016 1:53:00 PM

This stuff is a miracle in a bottle. For background:

I moved to a new area, and my new stylist made my hair an awful yellow blonde. Two color corrections later (one did not do the trick, the second stylist finally did what I wanted; a cooler blonde) my hair is, simply put: crappy.

My HG for damaged dry hair (common being a bottle blonde most of my life) is Kenra Nourishing Masque. This time, it wasn't doing the trick. Every time I washed and conditioned my hair, it was stretchy, and hair broke off in my fingers. Not a ton, but enough to clog the drain every shower. It also looked frizzy and straw-like when dry.

I used Aphogee for the first time. It took roughly 30 minutes of blow drying to get rock hard. I rinsed, applied Aphogee's balancing conditioner, rinsed. Then applied my Kenra Nourishing masque, left on for 20 minutes, and rinsed.

When I rinsed out my Kenra masque and ran my fingers through my hair, NO HAIR CAME OUT ON MY HANDS for the first time in 1.5 years. I couldn't believe it. My hair looks decent again now when I dry and style it. Less frizzy spots, and a flat iron can smooth out my frizzies like it used to.

If deep conditioners are not working for you (I was using my Kenra every day without results) then give this stuff a try!

on 9/27/2016 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

hi ladies i must said this product is awesome...i have very bleached processed hair..went from ash blonde to grey finally 😊..but due to the bleach processing my ends became very frail..and when wet was very gummy/mushy this priduct save my hair cant believe it wish i had known about iy way before now my hair would be extremely long..if yoy bleach or process your hair you need to use this your hair will thank you..trust me..oh btw my hair is fine straight indian hair..but colored grey now 😄

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Why did I not start using this product sooner in my life? I can only imagine how many problems it would have solved!

I have biracial, thick, curly, 3c - 4a, natural hair. I don't do any heat styling, but my hair suffers damage from manipulation (detangling mostly). For years, I just assumed there was nothing I could do about that type of damage because of the texture of my hair. I was wrong.

This product is a game changer.

Do not be afraid to use it. It is extremely easy! Just follow the instructions, and you'll be fine. I don't have a hooded dryer, so I used a blow dryer. I have only used it once, and the difference in my hair's health is mind-blowing. Obviously, the hair is not completely repaired, but it is stronger and silkier. My damaged curls are revived. I cannot believe that there is a little miracle bottle that produces results like this. Next time I use it, I may leave it on for longer for a stronger effect.

I realize that I'm just adding to the already stellar reviews of this product. But it really does work!

on 11/1/2015 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My hair - bleached, Asian, thick, coarse, extremely damaged, over-processed, crunchy, hay-like
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The smell really isn't that bad. It's not pleasant but I've smelled worse beauty products (Philosophy Hope in a Jar comes to mind). I also was extremely scared of putting this on my hair since the reviews said my hair would be very fragile. I was expecting an effect of being as fragile as glass shattering on the ground. But I would say it's more like putting a crap load of gel on your hair and letting it harden. My hair got softer and it got rid of the crunch (but not completely), but my expectations were quite high after reading these reviews which is probably my own fault> Definitely works wonders but in no way will this make your hair feel like virgin hair which is what I was unrealistically hoping for. Worth a shot and I will continue to use it until my hair grows out!

I know, we have already established that this product is awesome but I just had to add my review. I LOVE this stuff. I have dyed and fried my hair repeatedly for years (many, MANY chemical cuts) and I can't believe that I didn't know how great this was. I recently stripped out my black hair and went to a medium brown, leaving the front of my hair gummy and dull. I was looking up treatments online and had to try this after reading the reviews.

I had tried re-constructors and protein treatments years ago and got the same straw-like feeling that others have described. Even the Redkin protein treatment left me with rough, dry hair. However, Aphogee left me with healthy feeling, silkier hair even before I used the deep conditioner.

To start, I used my L'Oreal Professoinnel Intense Repair shampoo. I then towel dried and applied the product per the directions (do this over the tub so you don't drip all over the floor). It does sting your hands a bit so gloves wouldn't be a bad idea but they aren't required. Yes, it has a smell but its not terrible. Perms smell worse.

For me, it took FOREVER to dry even with a hand dryer. I sat there drying for about 45 minutes before I couldn't take it any longer. I spent another hour sitting with it without the dryer, then another 15 minutes drying at the end. Even with all of that, the back still wasn't completely dry but since I have short hair back there and it was barely damaged in the back, I figured it was good enough. The crunchy, hard shell rinses out pretty easy. I then sat with the Aphogee conditioner on for about 15 minutes. Again, the conditioner has a strong scent but it's not nearly as bad as some reviewers have described. I kind of enjoyed it. For what the product does, the odor of the treatment and conditioner is a small price to pay.

Results: Is my hair perfect? No. With the damage that my hair had, nothing could ever possibly exist to make it perfect. That said, my hair is WAY better than it was. The severe crunch is gone, it's no longer gummy when wet, and it is way less prone to breakage. I'm still a little frazzled at the very ends and I'm over all still a little frizzy but I'm definitely not complaining. I will definitely be doing this again in 6 weeks.

NOTE: I did this just 2 days after depositing color in my hair and it did make my ashy brown warmer. I knew this was a risk from my cosmetology days (protein tends to push color out of the cuticle) but considering the level of damage I had, I went for it anyway. It's nothing that can't be toned out when my hair is in a little better shape.