Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Filtered by age: 18 & Under
Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.9

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

First things first, my hair is not overly damaged. I only color it 1-2 times per year with a semi-permanent color, and-up until a few months ago- only heat styled occasionally. The reason I got this product is because everyone raved about it and I have been heatstyling quite often lately, so I figured, what the heck?

I am so glad I got this. My hair felt brand new once I rinsed this stuff off! For me, one of the little trial packets was just enough for my mid-back hair BUT I used gloves during the application process so it didn't soak into my hands at all, if gloves aren't available to you then I HIGHLY recommend getting one of the larger size options.

Also, other reviews talked about having a 20-30 minute wait period under the dryer but for me I felt like it didn't take nearly as long! Maybe because my hair wasn't as damaged? I don't know. But I did the treatment as directed but I skipped using the attached conditioner Step 2 conditioner instead I used my Jason's Henna Color Protect conditioner and left it in for a few hours.

After I rinsed my conditioner out, I wrapped my hair in a towel and left it up for about 2-3 minutes, unwrapped the towel so I could put in my after-shower products and WOW my hair was CURLY!! I thought I had lost my curl due to my hair growing so long, but this stuff brought back my curls! So be prepared to have a new texture/curl-pattern after this! A few days later I also straightened my hair and wow! It was smooth and frizz free!

Unfortunately, each wash I loose the "new hair" feeling BUT the treatment is only suppose to last 6 weeks so that was expected!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product genuinely saved my hair. In the past 5 years, my hair has gone from black to blonde to brown and now I'm going back to blonde. My hair is chemically damaged from all of the processing so I went to get a hair cut and had this product recommended to me. I tried it today and I immediately noticed a huge difference. My hair is no longer stretchy, mushy, and it doesn't break when I comb it anymore. If you have CHEMICALLY damaged hair, please use this product. If you have HEAT damage, use a strong moisturizing conditioner. They are two different kinds of damage and if you use this product when you don't need it, it could damage your hair more. Love this stuff!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I've been using this product on and off for years! I have relaxed hair that recently succumbed to heat damage, so after cutting off 4 inches or so of hair I decided to put the 2 step treatment back into my hair regimen. I use it once a month to keep my hair strong and in tip top shape. I highly recommend this to women with thin, porous hair who are constantly using heat or chemicals to style or treat their hair. It really makes a difference. Just follow the directions, don't freak out when your hair gets hard from the treatment, be patient when rinsing it out, and sit under the dryer for a good 10 minutes to deep condition with the conditioner pack. Style as you usually would and you're set!

on 6/3/2013 2:55:00 PM

Wow, I am absolutely shocked. Almost jumping for joy and shedding tears of happiness! I have a long history of majorly screwing up my hair, namely going back and forth from dark to light. My hair is shoulder length and layered, and for the past year I've been good and kept it dark, only doing root touch-ups confined strictly to the root area, instead of slathering on the excess dye on the rest of my hair like I normally would have. I got bored of it and felt I needed change, so with my prior good year I decided to go blonde. After lifting several levels to a light champagne blonde, my hair was a little on the mushy-stretchy rubber bandy side. I wasn't too worried because it's been worse, but I was tired of waiting an hour for my hair to dry. I went to Sally's, picked up this as well as a few other products, and held off on this mainly due to the dread of having wet hair AGAIN. I ended up leaving the protein treatment on for over an hour because I was tired of holding up my hair dryer, so I let most of it air dry. Yes, it stinks, yes, it's sticky, and runny- but I didn't find it hard to apply. I just opened a tiny corner or the packet and applied it at the top of my head, sort of guiding it down the rest of my hair. And a little side note..don't put a towel over your shoulders, your hair will start to crunchify to your towel. Anyway, I left it on for an hour, wasn't expecting much, got in the shower and let it rinse out without touching it, fearful of the snapping off everyone seems to mention. After the protein junk rinsed out, I was shocked, I almost started crying, but in a happy way. Instead of stretchy and squishy and fried, my hair was smooth and not NEARLY as stretchy and not squishy at all. It felt like real hair again. Someone else mentioned that they could feel the individual hair strands again when it was wet and that's the perfect way to describe it. My hair also didn't feel dry after washing the protein treatment out, not sure why. Not complaining. I shampooed with a tiny bit of head and shoulders since I have some stains from purple shampoo in my roots, I put in the moisture packet for three minutes, rinsed, put in Aussie deeeep treatment for a while and rinsed with cold water to seal the cuticles. I can run my fingers through my hair wet, I can pull on it and get almost no stretchy nastiness. I am so excited. I had been under the impression that my hair would be okay without the treatment but boy am I glad I tried this. This is a lifesaver, this will forever be my go-to product for damaged hair.

on 3/16/2011 2:55:00 PM

I've been using aphogee 2 step treatment on and off for the past year. I have to say this product has improved my hair tremendously. For reference I have naturally brown hair that's thin and there's not a lot of it. I've been putting my hair through horrendous damage for the past 4 years or so. I mean within that time period I've went from black to blonde at least 5 times, and bleach already damages your hair, but imagine the damage it did when I kept changing my hair color every few months. I also abused my hair by straightening it daily, and wearing fusion extensions 2 years ago that practically ripped out half of my hair. So finally I came across MUA and decided to do something to bring my fried hair to life. I saw all the reviews regarding the aphogee 2 step treatment and read a very helpful notepad by katdan here's the link: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/katdan
So basically I limitedly purchased this at Sallys and have been using it since then. This is exactly what I do:
1. I use coconut oil as a pre-treatment, I saturate my dry hair and massage some onto the scalp also. I leave this on over night but I'm sure 30-60 minutes would work fine.
2.Next I clarify my hair using the V05 kiwi lime squeeze shampoo, since I heard protein works better on clean, product free hair and my hair tends to get a lot of buildup.
3.I apply the aphogee 2 step treatment all through my towel dried hair and use a wide tooth comb to distribute it evenly. I make sure to work quickly, since it does dry fast.
4. Next I blow dry my hair for about 30-40 minutes on high heat, low fan. I know 30 minutes of blow drying is hard but I noticed it works better the longer you apply heat to it since protein sticks to your hair when heat is used.
5. I leave it on an additional 30 minutes, and once my hair is fully hard I rinse it out.
6.I apply the balancing moisturizer, cover my head with a shower cap, leave that on for about an hour and apply heat also.
7. I rinse everything out, apply morrocon oil and let my hair air dry.

I know this is a lot of steps and very time consuming, but I only do this once every 6 weeks, so I treat this as spa day(: I fully recommend this for anyone with extremely damaged hair, this is truly a hair saver, and if you're skeptical just try out the sample packet which costs less than 4 $ at sallys.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Reeeeeally wanted to share my experience with this, because I think it's the most useful hair product in the whole wide world (well, sort of).

It's for people who have totally destroyed their hair with bleach or dye, to the point where they have a lot of hair falling out and breakage. I used it when I had so much hair fall out in the shower that it'd cover the drain hole completely, and I had a mini mohawk on my head of where some of my hair had just broken off.

You can buy it on folica.com and Amazon, that's what came up on Google but I'm sure there's others. They have it at Sally Beauty Supply too.

Anyway:

Like I said, I had a lot of hair breakage. I'd been DIY-ing platinum blonde for a while, and I didnt realize how bad it was to overlap bleach (like, bleach already white hair again) so after a while my hair just started snapping. After a while I decided to dye it red but it was so damaged that it just didnt take to my hair, and I had a huge strip of light brown hair where the rest was red.

I have to preface this also by saying if your hair is just dry (e.g. not breaking) then this wont help at all. It's for hair that's actually splitting apart and snapping and breaking and falling out - not hair that just doesnt feel nice. It'll probably make that worse.

So what you do basically is just slather it on to dry hair, until it's all soaking. It's quite runny and drippy, and also doesnt smell very nice, but oh well. Then you blow-dry it until it dries hard. All your hair will feel like a rock, like dried hair gel. DO NOT TRY TO BRUSH IT OR BEND IT OR TOUCH IT WHILE ITS LIKE THIS. It'll just break off. Once it's all dry, go into the shower and just let the water rinse it away (dont touch it!). After it's all rinsed off, use a really good conditioning mask (protein dries out the hair, so you need to put moisture back in) and voila.

It totally repaired my hair. I could pull whole strands out when it was wet, now hardly any of my hair falls out and it feels SO much nicer. I also was able to dye it and the dye took really well to my hair! When my hair is dry, none pulls out or falls out, and when it's damp a bit does come out, but way less. It seriously is amazing. I totally 100% recommend this if your hair is damaged like mine.

on 4/18/2010 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I'm truly amazed by this product. After dying my hair constantly and frying it with my straightener, my hair was left very damaged, especially because my hair is baby fine. When I shampooed and conditioned my hair, I would guess about 10 to 50 hairs broke off, and whenever I straightened my hair, the floor would be scattered with hairs. I've now used this twice (within two weeks, but for some reason, I didn't experience protein overload), and my hair is SO much stronger. Now literally about 90% of the hair I lose is just natural shedding (coming from the root)... I'm very impressed. In the past I tried to combat my hair breakage by moisturizing it with deep conditioners, and leave in ones, but nothing compared to the results I got with this. It did, however, dry out my hair temporarily, but this is easily overcome-able with deep conditioning treatments and hair lotions, etc. It took my hair about two or so days to recover, and I couldn't be happier.

I would very strongly recommend this to someone with fine/weak damaged hair. I'm so glad I found this.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really love the hair board girls, and I really love Katdan for telling me of this wonderful product.

My hair, has been breaking like there is NO tomorrow. My hair was dry. My hair was icky. And I've been on a kick lately to get amazing incredible hair.

Well. Tonight, I used my protien treatment (this aphogee), and at first was not impressed.

Then I used step 2. Again,. Not impressed.

Let my hair air dry...
and I'M IMPRESSED!!!

My hair is soft, my hair is not breaking when I run my fingers through it and best of all its not frizzy!!!!

Yes, I have some serious split ends, but it's OK, I'm getting those chopped off tomorrow but really...my hair FEELS healthier. I did not use a really deep moisturizer because I didn't think I needed to after using the humectant for 2 minutes like the bottle told me to, but I may wind up doing that because many people appear quite adament about that, and usually when the majority speaks ...

they are right!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This product did stop the breakage the first time I used it. I don't like the mess you are forced to make when you apply it, so I don't use it that often.

This product has absolutely saved my hair! I am actually amazed at the condition of my hair after using this stuff.
I recently had a REALLY horrible highlighting experience at a salon I decided to try. My hair was already a little damaged fom previous highlights, and straightning it with a ceramic flat iron. I went to the salon to get highlights and she wanted to lift my roots because they were dark and it turned orange, so she decided to bleach all my roots. My hair was toned about 4 times then died brown because she realized the brassiness would not be eliminated with anymore bleach unless my hair fell out. My hair was brittle, dry with straw like qualities and an ugly mouse green brown! I went back a week later for more highlights and my hair was a little more dry after that but at least i could live with the color!
I started researching products on here for seriously damaged hair and this one really caugth my eye. The positive reviews seemed to really out-weigh the negative reviews, however I was still a little hesistant because the thought that my hair could break off and fall out when its hard really scared me! The lady at Sally beauty told me that its really nothing to worry about, just be cautious when the treatmant is hard and dried to you hair.
I used this blow dried my hair on high heat with low setting for a half hour, rinsed it out very gently then but the Aphogee balancing moisturizer in. I left it in under a shower cap for a good half hour, let it air dry and vola! My hair is actually in the same condition it was before I stepped foot into that salon! Its still not PERFECT but thats not what i was looking for, my hair actually feels healthy and not even brittle! I can't say enough about this stuff.