TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.1

Active: Octinoxate 7.5, Octisalate 3, Avobenzone 3. Inactive: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate, Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60, Styrene-DVB Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethyhexyl Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

After using several different foundations and powders my whole life, I recently decided that I wanted to find something more natural-looking. I spent about three months researching different options, reading reviews, and buying different products. I tried about 5 different options, including Guerlain BB cream (didn't look natural), Clarins CC cream (loved it but the lightest was too dark), Laura Mercier TM (too shiny) and NYX TM (not natural). I had seen the high reviews for this TM but had never seen it at Sephora or Shoppers so I tried the others first. After none of them worked for me I FINALLY decided to look more into it and discovered that you can buy it at Rexall. And let me tell you, I so wish I had tried this one first!!! It's creamy, medium but very natural coverage and has pretty great staying power. Since I'm incredibly pale I tried the "Lighter than Light" shade first and it was surprisingly a little too light for me. I liked the formula though so I bought the "Light" and IT IS PERFECT. So after spending about $300 I have finally found the perfect fit for me, and I hope this helps any others that are searching for a natural-looking product with no shine.

Thebalm tinted moisturiser is my HG product.

I have tried various tinted moisturiser/bb creams and they either are too orange or cling to my dry patches. I have pale & dry/combination skin and the shade Lighter Than Light is an absolute perfect match for my skintone, it doesn't look grey, too pink or too yellow.

The product goes on very smoothly, almost with a velvet feel. I either use my hands or the Real Techniques buffing brush to apply it. It doesn't cling to dry patches or break my skin out. It has excellent coverage for a tinted moisturiser and you can build it up without it getting cakey. It gives the 'my skin but better' look and a nice healthy glow to the skin. I will say that if you have scarring, acne or redness, this will not cover that as it is only a tinted moisturiser.

It lasts around 6 hours and if I add a little powder, it can last up to 8. The product is quite expensive but I am happy to pay for it as you get a good sized tube and the actual product is fantastic.

Overall, an absolute must have for anyone looking for a product that gives natural coverage, adds a healthy glow to the skin and is very pale. I highly recommend the shade 'Lighter Than Light' I most definitely will be re purchasing!

To Read all 190 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I want to try this again. Originally bought after dark, and I looked dirty!!! For reference I'm NC45 and I'm going to buy either dark or medium dark?? If they have that? But it stays all day just not my color.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the best product I've found for natural looking skin. I just lightly stipple it on my face with a stipple brush to even out some redness. My skin still shines through but looks better. It can also be applied heavier for more coverage, but that's not why I bought this. The spf is an added bonus and this TM does not irritate my sensitive skin. It doesn't settle into pores or fine lines or even look detectable on skin. Love this stuff and will repurchase when I run out.

I have now tried five BB creams / tinted moisturisers from Holika Holika, Jouer, La Roche-Posay, Clinique and theBalm. I have been looking for something very sheer to apply either alone or over moisturiser to give a hint of warmth to my ivory complexion. I also suffer from "the shinies" over the course of the day and need something that won't look / feel greasy.

When you apply this, it looks grey and putty-like but blends easily (you can use your fingers!) and seamlessly. It doesn't cake, dry out my skin or settle into fine lines. This TM interacts well with concealer, powder and other products. It seems to control shine to some extent and the fact it has SPF is a nice bonus (I am moving to Australia where it's important to use sun protection all year round.) The tube is a decent size, so it makes up for the price.

This is my new go-to product, it has left my other BBs / TMs in the dust and piqued my curiosity to try more from this brand!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My new HG face makeup. I'm so happy I found this product. I'm the person that doesn't need a full coverage face makeup so the fact that this is basically my skin but better is amazing. This blends and matches your skin so well. If I happen to have a blemish all I do is add a little concealer and I'm all set. This does have SPF and thankfully it doesn't break me out. The pricing is a little high at $25 but you do get a decent tube of product. I would highly recommend this for anyone that doesn't have skin that needs full coverage. Will definitely repurchase!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I bought this to bring balance and harmony to the party on my head and boy does it deliver. This brings my makeup game to a whole different dimension with a just a few swipes of it to my face. Literally all I need after is a bright juicy lipstick (or sheer plum come fall) and maybe some brow powder. And voila, I get gawked at all day. I have the most difficult time shopping for cosmetics because I've come to realize a little color does make a difference in how polished I could look specially since I work in an office. And the heartbreak I get when I find there's barely anything in my coloring at all. There's too dark, too pink, too red, too light, or too yellow. Rarely anything peachy, translucent natural tan. This in medium-dark is perfection for me when it comes to color and coverage. It lasts all day and night, plays well with other products, and it looks realistic. Like you were born a perfectly, unblemished, porcelain doll. Regardless of skin color might I add; I have gifted this to all my girlfriends (and a few boys), from light to after dark. It makes everyone look gloriously healthy. On me however, it has the tendency to make me break out. Horribly so. It's Spf does work because I do tan darker in summer and when I wear this, specially on vacation, my face does not change color. But the whiteheads I get after a few hours are a drastic price to pay. Which is why I will probably never buy this again, or only use it for special occasions. It's not worth the cystic acne it causes in my case. Nor the drastic number of peels I have to do to make them go away. Still, this is as close to HG anything has ever been in my vanity, as much as it pains me. Wonderful, magical stuff.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This tinted moisturizer is HG for me. I've tried so many kinds of tinted moisturizers and this one is still one of the best ones in my opinion because:
- It lasts all day
- it has good coverage- it covers some imperfections and redness, makes everything look flawless
- it sits really nicely on the skin
- luminous
- doesn't rub off

You get a lot of product 64ml for the price which is amazing!

The balm goes on HauteLook often and you can get it for 12.00 which is pretty amazing considering in store its $39 (canadian). I stocked up and now have a few bottles.

I've been looking for a nice buildable TM. Tried this and it left a grey cast on my face and then i saw that it had that terrible sunscreen smell and sure enough there is chemical sunscreen in this. YUCK!

Ok so I never write reviews but I had to for this one! I initially picked up this tinted moisturizer because I was searching them in kohls and realized "HOLY SHIT THE LIGHTEST COLOR IS ACTUALLY LIGHT ENOUGH FOR MY SKIN!!" Finding things light enough for me has been a real struggle and I've had to buy a white foundation to mix in with ALREADY SUPER PALE ONES! But this was a match made in heaven! Besides the fact that it has a perfect color, for a tinted moisturizer, the coverage is amazing! If you're used to heavy foundations, it will seem like a light coverage that can be built up with a second coat. I however, can get away with one coat and it covers my redness on my cheeks! It also stays all day yeah! Okay so I wanted to make a point about the price of the product. Many people might think that this is expensive for $25, but not many people realize THERES ACTUALLY A LITTLE OVER 2 OUNCES IN THE CONTAINER!!! most foundations/moisturizers only come with one so I was happy :)