TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.1

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: OCTINOXATE (7.5), OCTISALATE (3.0) ,AVOBENZONE (3.0)INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA), CETEARYL ALCOHOL,ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, CETYL DIMETHICONE, DIMETHICONE,HEXYL LAURATE, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, HYDROXYETHYL ACRYLATE/SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURATE COPOLYMER/ISOHEXADECANE/POLYSORBATE 60, STYRENE/DVB CROSSPOLYMER, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, MAY CONTAIN: TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

After dumping the foundation I was just using a little bit of concealer every day. As the spring approached I started digging the evened out healthy skin look. My skin is oily and has hyperpigmentation which makes it appear dull, but this stuff turned out to be everything I was looking for plus even more. It is super easy to apply, makes my skin naturally glowy and hides hyperpigmentation. Even if it wears off during the day it doesn't start caking like foundation would. I apply it over a light gel moisturizer using my hands or a damp sponge and set it with a satin finish loose setting powder and my skin looks great the whole day!! I don't know the reason behind it but this tinted moisturizer also makes my breakouts calm down during the day and reduces redness a lot (maybe because my skin reacts really well to mineral makeup). Would I recommend it? Really depends on what you're looking for but if you're someone like me who used to have acne and is left with hyperpigmentation and/or has some skin issues that are not that severe (even dryness) and you just want the my-skin-but-better-look (plus you maybe forget to use sunscreen like I do), then try it out.

EDIT: OMG I HATE the fact that I have to change this review but I gotta say that even though I still love the way it looks and calms my redness I have to stop using this cause it clogs my pores like crazy! Maybe it's too heavy for my oily skin. I used it like 3x and my skin became super bumpy and it's usually very smooth and I don't have much to pick on but after those 3 days my skin was something Dr Pimple Popper would have a lot of work on. I gave it a break hoping it was from something else and used it again but the same thing happened :(

One of the best tinted moisturizers out there-- the ingredients are also cleaner than most tinted moisturizers and the packaging holds quite a bit of the product, so this product is definitely worth the money.

This is a tinted moisturizer, not a BB/CC cream or foundation, so the coverage that this product gives is very, very minimal. This will not color correct, but give a slight coverage and a healthy glow for people who already have good skin. This does not wear well over heavy cream, so maybe over a more milky type of lotion would go well with this product.

Lighter than light seems to go well with my NC10/15 skin for days I want to look like I'm not wearing makeup. It looks neutral and would go with either NC10 or NW10. This does not replace sunscreen as very little of this product is needed. I would wear this over lighter lotions without much dimethicone/silica/silicone/synthetic polymers otherwise there will be pilling.

I actually like this over Laura Mercier which seems to be a cult favorite. Try to find a sample and try it out prior to purchase if you can-- this one is a surprising find for me!

Can't say enough good things about this product. I have oily/combo skin and this is lovely. Very light on the skin with light -medium buildable coverge. Coverage is very natural. Great for sensetive skin as this did not break me out. Also great for people with yellow undertones. This has a satin/matte finish. You also get a a good amount of product for the price.

Ever since La Mer replaced their perfect TM with the current Skintint "sludge"...I've been on the hunt for a replacement. The coverage and texture of this Balm Shelter TM are very nice and light. The scent is "sunscreen" like and very unobtrusive. The price point is great. Unfortunately, the undertone of this product (I used Light) was very greyish/washed out on me. Not cool-toned pinkish, but truly a greyish neutral tone. Sticking with NARS TM in "Alaska" or Laura Mercier in "Nude" - warmer undertones - until La Mer fixes their big mistake and brings back their old skin tint (Hope springs eternal!)

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I really like this TM! I was looking for a lighter face product for summer as I'm trying to ease off of wearing full coverage foundation every day. In the past, I've tried drugstore BBs and TMs and disliked the patchiness and oxidization I'd get from them.

This product blends in nicely without patchiness. The coverage is enough to make me not feel self conscious but it also feels nice and light on the skin. It has a bit of a gray cast but I expected it to because it contains sunscreen. I set it with Coty Airspun to correct some of the grayness and then it lasts a really long time and looks fine. So far, I haven't experienced any breakouts so that's another plus.

I like the price of this; the only thing I've used comparable to it is Laura Mercier's TM but I wasn't about to pay $40ish for a TM- you can get foundation in that price range.

Overall, this is a good TM. It covers a good amount without feeling heavy. The price is also fair. The only downside is that it has a slight gray cast.

The perfect tinted moisturizer! This offers light coverage, sunscreen, and easy application. I use my fingers to apply and then just smooth out specific areas lightly with a brush if needed. The tube packaging makes it sanitary and easy to take traveling. At times, if I feel I need a bit more coverage, I apply a little powder foundation over specific areas. I wear the "light" on my fair (neutral) skin and it is perfect. Unfortunately, the shade range is limited.

I really like it. It's a tinted moisturizer, so not much coverage. But that makes finding a shade match easier. It's perfect for no fuss work makeup. Idk how else to explain it, but it makes my skin happy.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this tinted moisturizer. And the more I use it the more I'm falling in love with it. Fortunately I don't really have any spots or anything that needs full coverage. My skin has become drier over the last few years and this tm is very moisturizing (mind you, I always use another moisturizer under fdn or tm anyway). The coverage is not too sheer. And I can spread this tm with my hands. No need for brush or sponge. What I've discovered recently, I can use it under my eyes and it doesn't crease! It's the only product I found that doesn't crease. Normally I don't put fdn or tm under my eyes just concealer. But I tried it and I can use two layers of it and maybe I'll put a teeny tiny bit of concealer in the inner corner of my eyes (Inglot undereye concealer) and it won't crease the whole day. I set this tm with powder (Chanel loose or MAC Careblend) and with Fix+ and it stays the whole day. I use Light for my C1 skin. It's a teeny tiny bit too dark, but I don't mind, because if I use the right shade I often look like a ghost. So I just bronze up my neck. I also love that it has spf.

I'm not big on foundations, especially not full coverage liquid..I'm more of a TM, BB/CC, luminous look coverage... even loose or compact powder foundations such as Bobbi Brown or Lancome. With that being said, I really love this tinted moisturizer from Thebalm...It's medium coverage on me, and with a spray of rosewater to set, it lasts a good 5-6 hours before I need an oil blotter. It doesn't oxidize or separate like alot of TM's do at times. The shade light/medium matches my N 20ish combo skin perfectly. The tube is huge, and for $25 you get a generous amount. I'm a huge fan of all Thebalm products, and this is no exception.

I apply this in the shade light quite liberally every day. The shade itself is a tad too dark for my pasty face, but that's barely noticeable due to the sheerness of the formula.
This isn't greasy at all, and it quickly absorbs to give a blurred natural matte finish. It isn't specifically for people with combo/oily/acne prone skin, but not once has it broken me out or slid off my face halfway through the day.
My only issue is how pricey it is. But I've already bought another in Lighter Than Light.