TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.1

Active: Octinoxate 7.5, Octisalate 3, Avobenzone 3. Inactive: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate, Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60, Styrene-DVB Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethyhexyl Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

The best impulse buy I have ever made. A perfect tinted moisturizer. I like it better than Laura Mercier, Miracle Skin Transformer, Nars and a slew of others. The perfect amount of (light) coverage. Improves the look of skin but you can't tell I'm wearing a thing. Not a lot of color choices, but it blends in so it doesn't matter much. I have light/medium golden skin tone and wear the light/medium. Perfect!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I have wanted a product with light coverage as I have no scars, just a bit of redness under my nose. I also have oily skin which made it a bit difficult to find a tinted moisturiser with not too many harsh chemicals. I read that The Balm tinted moisturiser was good so I decided to give it a go. I use the colour light/medium for my asian skin. I can say that it doesn't make my skin oily at all and provides a nice light coverage for everyday. I buy this from David Jones as they often have 30-40% off The Balm products.

Love love love this tinted moisturizer. I'm only kicking myself in the butt right now because I'm not sure which shade I have and it's not written anywhere on the tube!!! I think I have it in Medium or Medium Dark. I'll have to go to Kohl's with and match it with the testers.

The color happens to be PERFECT for me and it blends in like a dream. Even though it's only a tinted moisturizer, I find the coverage to be just fine for a normal day at work. It gives me a natural look, evens my skin tone, and hides redness.

I love the built in SPF and the large size of the tube. I can apply a generous amount without feeling guilty and it ensures a liberal enough application to benefit fully from the SPF 18. It does smell distinctly (but lightly) of sunscreen, but I really don't mind it at all. I would even bring this to the beach to reapply sunscreen on my face!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I bought this today so forgive the new review. But I had it on all day and I got lots of compliments. I was so happy to have found LM with the illuminators, only to have it settle into my fine lines at the end of the day., I'm still using my full foundation, Armani Silk, but it's just a matter of time before they stop making it. I will re-update my reviews for this TM.

I LOVE this product. I saw it on sale when I was at the mall and decided to pick it up, as I hadn't tried any theBalm products before and wanted to check for myself if they were worth the hype. I really liked this tinted moisturiser. I have normal/combination skin and this works perfectly; it's just moisturising enough and doesn't feel heavy at all, which I really like. I live in a very warm town and this product handles the heat well, it doesn't melt or make me feel sticky like some other BB Creams/TMs do, and the SPF is a little extra benefit (it's definitely not enough though, but it's nice to have the extra protection). The price is really good too, considering how much product you get. I like to pair this up with Sephora's "So Shy" Blush and MAC's Upward Lash mascara for a natural look that works really well for summer days and casual outings.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I love this tinted moisturizer more than I love all my foundations right now and most days I reach for it over any of my other products. It has amazing coverage (medium to full) and it looks beautiful and natural on the skin. I wore it to an outdoor burial in the middle of a sweltering hot summer in South Florida and it held up amazingly well despite me sweating my life away. It's perfect on its own for a day at the beach, or with a full face of makeup for a night out. It sets on its own to a very nice natural looking matte and it's so easy to apply. I believe you're supposed to use your fingers but I've found it also applies well with a dense enough buffing brush or a beauty sponge. My only complaint is the color selection, it's garbage. I have to mix two colors to achieve my perfect shade, but it's inexpensive for the quality so I don't mind that much. Also if you're going to purchase, keep in mind that it does oxidize.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

A little background: I've been looking for products that will give my skin a bit of a break from heavy, medium to full coverage makeup a few days a week. Naturally I went for BB (and a few CC) creams, and I disliked every single one of the ones I tried. I found that they looked splotchy, uneven, sat weirdly on top of my skin and wore off within a few hours. I'd heard a lot of good things about this tinted moisturizer, but I was sure that a tinted moisturizer would give me so little coverage that I'd end up not feeling comfortable in that either. Then I saw this one on sale, and I spontaneously ordered it. I am so happy that I did.

This tinted moisturizer does everything that I wanted and thought a BB cream would do - it evens out my skin, provides light coverage, feels weightless on the skin and wears exceptionally well through the day. I'm combo with a slightly oily t-zone, and makeup usually wears off on my nose and chin during the day. Using this tinted moisturizer, I don't get oily anywhere through the day, even if I don't use any powder. That includes the other day when I wore it from 7am to 2am the next day. It has lost some of its coverage, but I still didn't look greasy or gross the way I would've if I had been wearing either a full face of makeup or no makeup at all during that time. I've never experienced anything like it. During the winter I think I'll need to use my "regular" day cream underneath it (perhaps sans the t-zone), while during the summer it would probably provide enough moisture in itself.

I ordered it in the shade Lighter than light, because I have very, very rarely came across a foundation type of product that is too light for me. This one actually does border on too light to me, though I can get away with it since it's pretty sheer, and when I repurchase I'll probably go for the shade Light instead (and praying that its undertone isn't too yellow).

This is such an effortless yet effective product. I especially love how after massaging it in (I like to really work it into the skin, and then go over certain areas again once it's absorbed into the skin for some additional coverage) it barely even transfers. I feel and look instantly refreshed and more put together, while still looking natural. I can't really say how/if it affects my skin at this point, since I don't use it regularly enough, but I haven't noticed any breakouts or irritations from it.

+ Cruelty free
+ Vegan
+ Really doesn't feel like makeup on the skin
+ "Your skin but better" type of product
+ 7 shades I think will cover a wide range of skin tones, since it's sheered out and has more leeway than a foundation
+ Very long-wearing
+ Doesn't get greasy (combo/normal skin)
+ Big bottle (64ml/2.25 fl oz)
+ Very squeeze-able tube, I feel like you'll be able to get every last bit of product out

- A little pricey (though you get more than double the amount compared to a regular foundation bottle)
- Not sure why, but it dries a little around the opening of the tub, so I always have to remove a few small dried lumps off of my face

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is a great tinted moisturiser - just the right amount of coverage (which is just a touch, because lets face it, it's not a foundation) and it doesn't leave me oily! The thing that really made me buy this though, was the SPF factor. It cost me near to $30 in Australia, but the tube says it will last for 24 months and the tube is a huge 64ml.

My favorite choice for bb cream (yes I know it's a tinted moisturizer, I just find it more similar to a BB). I have dry skin and this tinted moisturizer provides just the right amount of coverage. With concealer, it's perfect. Needs to be set with powder however as it can be a bit shiny.

Con: lasting power is not so great. It also transfers quite easy.

EDIT: Still the best I've come across since Smashbox TM (discont'd)) - but realize that I have to change my cleanser. Does clog my pores and a glycolic cleanser is a must for me when using TheBalm TM. My usual mild Effaclar was not cleaning deep enough. Removing HG status and down to 4 lippies from the original 5.

----

I (NC20/25, sensitive and reactive skin, fine lines, acne scars, minor sun damage, breakout prone, easily clogged pores) had been using Smashbox Tinted Moisturizer. But it was discontinued.

Tried many other TMs, among them Laura Mercier, Tarte, Nars and Smashbox BB cream which was supposed to kinda replace the Smashbox TM. Just didn't work for various reasons like too thick, broke me out, too much shimmer, no coverage, looked oily or fake.

Read some good reviews for TheBalm TM (had never heard about this brand) and then found it at Rexall. Bought "Light".

This stuff is fantastic! I want light coverage with some moisturizing and this does it beautifully. At my age, less is more (regarding foundation) just looks so much better. TheBalm evens out my skin tone, minimizes the look of my pores and makes any old acne scars, sun spots, etc much less noticeable. I've tried using it over concealer, and that works too - but my skin seems happiest with as few products on it as possible. It is buildable, but I think it looks best when applied fairly lightly.

Some peeps have had oxidization - yes, it does darken just a bit for me. If your skin is very oily, this might not work for you. Or if you are very dry, you might need a light moisturizer under this. And it has no shimmer - the finish is a healthy subtle glow.

I'd recommend this as a "must try" if you want a my-skin-but-better natural look; especially if you have fine lines and/or reactive skin.

HG Status!