theBalm Cosmetics BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer SPF 18

4.1

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: OCTINOXATE (7.5), OCTISALATE (3.0) ,AVOBENZONE (3.0)INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA), CETEARYL ALCOHOL,ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, CETYL DIMETHICONE, DIMETHICONE,HEXYL LAURATE, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, HYDROXYETHYL ACRYLATE/SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURATE COPOLYMER/ISOHEXADECANE/POLYSORBATE 60, STYRENE/DVB CROSSPOLYMER, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, MAY CONTAIN: TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

Loved this in the beginning. Buildable coverage and went on so smooth and perfect. Then I developed awful acne all over my face and this is the only thing I added to my routine. Boooo

Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine

I have repurchased this product for years and will continue to do so. It gives me almost medium coverage and goes on smoothly and evenly. I've been using it for so long that I don't notice a fragrance to it anymore when I put it on, but it *may* have a slight sunscreen scent that quickly goes away. I don't love the flip cap; I find that the product clumps in and around the hole under the flip top, so I just unscrew the cap and squeeze a bit directly from the tube. My skin has a slight "dewy" look to it at the end of the day, but I don't mind that. I was using Laura Mercier TM, but switched to this years ago and haven't gone back to LM TM since then.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

At first I liked this product so much because it gave me acceptable coverage for a tinted moisturizer and formula felt good on face, but it doesn't control oil at all, I would say this product makes me look even oilier.

I used this for several months almost daily and my skin was clear (just one or two hormonal zits every month) until I started to notice a fair amount of pimples in my cheeks. It took me a while to realise this crap was the culprit. A year after I'm still fighting with the acne this product caused, maybe E.L.F. cream foundation could have helped to clog my pores too, but I didn't used this one as often as Balmshelter.

I gave it to my sister who has drier skin and it made break her out too.

You can perfectly pass on this product.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Only my first impressions so far, but loving the way this feels on my oily skin. Lightweight yet moisturizing, natural dewy finish that is easily mattified with drugstore setting powder, stays set for 6-8 hours. As a WOC, I had some trouble choosing a shade online, but Medium-Dark ended up working out just fine for my NC43/C5 tone. Although its minimal coverage at best, love the way this evens out mild-moderate hyperpigmentation and gives a healthy glow!

I love how it look on my skin, it doesn't cakey, and the colour fair/medium also suits me, BUT! it caused lot of pimples, and usually I don't have any. When I stopped using it, the pimples gone, so I won't use it again.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I like this tinted moisturizer. It's a great value, ~40CAD for 2.15oz, for a high-end product. The coverage is light at best, but gives a nice dewy finish when applied with a sponge. I wear Light with NC20 skin. Removed one lippie because it's not my favorite (Physicians Formula Organic Tinted Moisturizer).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I do like how this product has SPF. That's important to me since I'm very pale. But the lightest shade doesn't match my skin tone after it oxidizes. It just oxidizes too dark. I wish it didn't because when I first put it on it matches my skin tone. I also wouldn't call it a moisturizer. I have very dry skin and it doesn't moisturize my face. Just shows off my flakes. I have to put face cream on then put it on right after in order for it to not show my flakes. Sometimes the product itself flakes off depending if I didn't put it on right after the face cream. I also think it's too overpriced. I just think this product isn't ideal for fair skinned or very dry skin.

After dumping the foundation I was just using a little bit of concealer every day. As the spring approached I started digging the evened out healthy skin look. My skin is oily and has hyperpigmentation which makes it appear dull, but this stuff turned out to be everything I was looking for plus even more. It is super easy to apply, makes my skin naturally glowy and hides hyperpigmentation. Even if it wears off during the day it doesn't start caking like foundation would. I apply it over a light gel moisturizer using my hands or a damp sponge and set it with a satin finish loose setting powder and my skin looks great the whole day!! I don't know the reason behind it but this tinted moisturizer also makes my breakouts calm down during the day and reduces redness a lot (maybe because my skin reacts really well to mineral makeup). Would I recommend it? Really depends on what you're looking for but if you're someone like me who used to have acne and is left with hyperpigmentation and/or has some skin issues that are not that severe (even dryness) and you just want the my-skin-but-better-look (plus you maybe forget to use sunscreen like I do), then try it out.

EDIT: OMG I HATE the fact that I have to change this review but I gotta say that even though I still love the way it looks and calms my redness I have to stop using this cause it clogs my pores like crazy! Maybe it's too heavy for my oily skin. I used it like 3x and my skin became super bumpy and it's usually very smooth and I don't have much to pick on but after those 3 days my skin was something Dr Pimple Popper would have a lot of work on. I gave it a break hoping it was from something else and used it again but the same thing happened :(

One of the best tinted moisturizers out there-- the ingredients are also cleaner than most tinted moisturizers and the packaging holds quite a bit of the product, so this product is definitely worth the money.

This is a tinted moisturizer, not a BB/CC cream or foundation, so the coverage that this product gives is very, very minimal. This will not color correct, but give a slight coverage and a healthy glow for people who already have good skin. This does not wear well over heavy cream, so maybe over a more milky type of lotion would go well with this product.

Lighter than light seems to go well with my NC10/15 skin for days I want to look like I'm not wearing makeup. It looks neutral and would go with either NC10 or NW10. This does not replace sunscreen as very little of this product is needed. I would wear this over lighter lotions without much dimethicone/silica/silicone/synthetic polymers otherwise there will be pilling.

I actually like this over Laura Mercier which seems to be a cult favorite. Try to find a sample and try it out prior to purchase if you can-- this one is a surprising find for me!

Can't say enough good things about this product. I have oily/combo skin and this is lovely. Very light on the skin with light -medium buildable coverge. Coverage is very natural. Great for sensetive skin as this did not break me out. Also great for people with yellow undertones. This has a satin/matte finish. You also get a a good amount of product for the price.