4.1

$28.00 on Skinstore
Shop Now

Reviews

2 months ago

I had such high hopes for this! While it had great coverage for my skin, lightened up the dark spots and covered most of the redness on my cheeks, it made my face itch, especially along the jawline and under my chin. I was so upset because I thought I'd maybe applied it the day after I'd done a treatment with an acid or a retinol but nope, I put it on this morning after nothing special used last night and whammo! To say I'm really bummed is an understatement. It was a great product and if it didn't make me itch I'd use it again and again :(

About reviewer (180 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Other, Cool

HairRed, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

4 months ago

This TM is amazing. It’s a great alternative to the previous formulation of Laura Mercier’s TM. It’s creamy, undetectable on the skin and moisturizing. I only removed one lippie because of the low spf but that doesn’t bother me too much. Price is on point, pretty inexpensive in comparison to others found at Sephora or Ulta.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

7 months ago

I wouldn't buy it again yet I'm awarding it 5 stars. The only reason I wouldn't buy it again is that it's only SPF 18 and I use ELDW which is SPF10 and to me the extra 8 isn't worth it so when this is finished I'll revert to my daily ELDW usage. I live in London so usually it's an overcast day. For summer, I don't think SPF18 is sufficient. Therefore for me, it's a neither here nor there product. I had 2 and gave one away and I do slightly regret it as I assumed I'd hate it as many Thebalm products have been severe disappointments. But seeing as the SPF isn't ideal (in summer I've been using a shiseido SPF makeup bb sport compact, which gives me acne but at least is SPF50.) Anyway to get to the point, I have been pleasantly surprised! The texture is non greasy and lightweight yet it gives light to medium proper coverage and evens out my skin and looks like I'm not wearing makeup! And the packaging is neat and functional, and it's very generous - 60ml is double or more than the standard offering from any brand. It has not broken me out at all which is very shocking as nearly every SPF (including the aforementioned far more expensive shiseido bb sport compact I bought) gives me acne which I just put up with generally as wrinkles are more terrifying than acne these days. I wish this was spf30 because then I'd be bulk buying it. As it is, it's not the perfection of ELDW which gives impeccable oil control and lasts all day and covers everything. So I won't be replacing my daily foundation ritual. And when it's sunny I just feel too paranoid that the sun protection isn't sufficient. But the tone and the texture is wonderful so if you don't have the issues I do then I recommend it without reservations. I got it in Lighter than light and it is a true pale slightly pinked tone which I love. In ELDW I am shell.

About reviewer (122 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair

EyesHazel

a year ago

Loved this in the beginning. Buildable coverage and went on so smooth and perfect. Then I developed awful acne all over my face and this is the only thing I added to my routine. Boooo

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairRed

2 years ago

I have repurchased this product for years and will continue to do so. It gives me almost medium coverage and goes on smoothly and evenly. I've been using it for so long that I don't notice a fragrance to it anymore when I put it on, but it *may* have a slight sunscreen scent that quickly goes away. I don't love the flip cap; I find that the product clumps in and around the hole under the flip top, so I just unscrew the cap and squeeze a bit directly from the tube. My skin has a slight "dewy" look to it at the end of the day, but I don't mind that. I was using Laura Mercier TM, but switched to this years ago and haven't gone back to LM TM since then.

About reviewer (102 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairGrey, Curly, Fine

2 years ago

At first I liked this product so much because it gave me acceptable coverage for a tinted moisturizer and formula felt good on face, but it doesn't control oil at all, I would say this product makes me look even oilier. I used this for several months almost daily and my skin was clear (just one or two hormonal zits every month) until I started to notice a fair amount of pimples in my cheeks. It took me a while to realise this crap was the culprit. A year after I'm still fighting with the acne this product caused, maybe E.L.F. cream foundation could have helped to clog my pores too, but I didn't used this one as often as Balmshelter. I gave it to my sister who has drier skin and it made break her out too. You can perfectly pass on this product.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Olive, Warm

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

2 years ago

Only my first impressions so far, but loving the way this feels on my oily skin. Lightweight yet moisturizing, natural dewy finish that is easily mattified with drugstore setting powder, stays set for 6-8 hours. As a WOC, I had some trouble choosing a shade online, but Medium-Dark ended up working out just fine for my NC43/C5 tone. Although its minimal coverage at best, love the way this evens out mild-moderate hyperpigmentation and gives a healthy glow!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Medium Brown

HairBlack

2 years ago

I love how it look on my skin, it doesn't cakey, and the colour fair/medium also suits me, BUT! it caused lot of pimples, and usually I don't have any. When I stopped using it, the pimples gone, so I won't use it again.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

2 years ago

I like this tinted moisturizer. It's a great value, ~40CAD for 2.15oz, for a high-end product. The coverage is light at best, but gives a nice dewy finish when applied with a sponge. I wear Light with NC20 skin. Removed one lippie because it's not my favorite (Physicians Formula Organic Tinted Moisturizer).

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Fine

EyesGreen

2 years ago

At 56, I've been on the hunt for a tinted moisturizer that provides a bit of color, evens out skin tone, and actually moisturizes. Until this purchase, I haven't had much luck. Other tinted moisturizers I've tried have been either: 1) too shiny (supposedly to add a dewy quality to the appearance of skin, but the reflective particles only serve to highlight aging skin on me - and I wind up having to POWDER my nose to counteract it); 2) not moisturizing (with many I've had to moisturize first, then apply the tinted moisturizer - go figure); 3) or more like actual foundation. After my recent purchase of a $36 tube of what was recommended by an Ulta employee, I was discouraged. The product was really more like a foundation and was not worth the price. Enter, THE BALM and "Balm Shelter". I was in Kohl's a few days ago and looking over their clearance makeup. Since I've had really great luck with other TheBalm purchases (lips and cheek products), when I saw "Balm Shelter" tinted moisturizer on sale I scooped it up. First off, even full price ($25) it was a far better deal than my recent higher end purchase. This large tube has plenty of product, is highly moisturizing, evens tone, and isn't sparkly or shiny. The dewy, moisturized look I was after was achieved with this product. I'm actually going back to the store to get another tube while it's on sale. GOOD STUFF!

About reviewer (23 reviews)

Age56 & Over