Alpha-H Liquid Gold

Alpha-H Liquid Gold
Liquid Gold

3.7

Not tested on animals

Water, Alcohold Denat, Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Hydrolysed Silk, Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol.

on 10/1/2017 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This really is a wonder product. I regularly exfoliate with acid toners/use Retinol and my skin is in pretty good shape, so I wondered just how effective this would be. But the hype is justified. I used as instructed, soaked a cotton pad and wiped it over my face and neck - and did not use anything else over the top. There is a tingle as the product lowers the ph level of the skin and then you’re supposed to leave it on overnight so it can work its magic.
The next morning I looked in the mirror and my skin was noticeably smoother, brighter and younger looking. It was as if fresh skin cells had been pushed to the surface overnight. Incredible results, even after the first use. And I’ve heard the results get better the longer you use it. I’m only using once/twice a week at the moment as my skin feels quite sensitive afterwards - it’s enough for me. Happy to keep the usage at this level for now. This is a really effective product and the price is great too.

on 9/27/2017 11:15:00 AM

Expensive, but a real life saver. As this is particularly strong and tends to irritate sensitive areas, I only use this on areas in my t-zone that tend to breakout. Clears up pimples and prevents new ones from forming with daily use. Would recommend for normal- oily skin.

Love this stuff so much. Found out about it on the Caroline Hirons blog. I apply on lazy nights before bed - pour some on a cotton pad and wipe it all over the face. No serum, cream or oil after. Just the Liquid Gold. Wake up to beautiful smooth skin. Can use twice a week. Winner.

on 5/19/2017 4:05:00 PM

I have used glycolic products before but this one blows them all away. My skin type is dry and easily irritated but this doesn't cause any bad reactions. I use it at night twice a week and I cant believe how much better my skin is looking (and younger!) Not only does it improve the texture of the skin, it actually looks firmer too, something I haven't experienced with other similar products. An absolute HG item for me now.

on 6/15/2017 12:36:00 AM

Honestly so good. As soon as I started using it it cleared my skin of pimples ... like within 2 days. It's also helping to reduce the red marks left over from previous breakouts really quickly. It's basically a miracle worker. I use it every night rather than every other night as directed, which I probably should not be doing, but before this I would wake up every day with new pimples and no I don't, or if I do, they're only small and not inflamed or sore.

The only cons of this are that if you are not partial to minor pain, this stings, especially on inflamed areas of the skin where you have breakouts that you are using it to treat. It contains alcohol.
Secondly the packaging ... this product is very liquid, like a toner (which I didn't realise and I am sure most people wouldn't until you buy it). I apply it with a cotton pad, but I feel like this is such a waste of product for such an expensive and small bottle, even if a little does go a long way ... but then again I can't think of any other way you could really apply this, I'm guessing the manufacturers thought this was the most efficient way to apply it.

on 5/3/2017 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Love using this every other night without applying any moisturiser afterwards for more of an intense treatment - really helps fade my acne scarring and prevent further breakouts. Definitely worth trying if you're acne prone and want to calm down your scarring

Like with food, you HAVE to do you homework before purchasing, meaning read the reviews, sure, but more importantly read the ingredients list and then read ABOUT the ingredients. I know some people eat broccoli because some health guru said 'it burns away bellyfat' (it doesn't), but you can also eat broccoli for it's high iron-, water- and fiber content. Just saying.

AHA, or alpha hydroxy acid, or glycolic acid, or lactic acid, or citric acid, is a chemical exfoliator. It's suited for those with dry skin that needs some brightening and smoothening, since it 'unglues' dead skin cells. BHA, or beta hydroxyl acid, or salicylic acid, is mostly suited for those with clogged pores because it plays well with oil and therefore penetrates the skin deeper than AHA and can 'clean' your pores from the inside out. Both are chemical peels, meaning they don't work as a surface skin exfoliator but a few skin layers deeper.

So if you decide to go down the route of a chemical peel, choose one that is suited for your skin type. Remember though, this is not a miracle product. For instance this will NOT get rid of minor acne scars since they are SCARS, however minor. You'll need professional chemicals peels for that.

Next, the glycolic acid content. This one has 5%, which is right in the ballpark of OTC skin care products. Olay Resurfacing night serum has 8%, but that one has never done anything for me because (and this will be controversial) the alcohol helps with the penetration of the acid. That is a proven property of alcohol in skincare. The controversy is in that opinions differ on whether the damage caused by alcohol is greater than the benefits derived from the product. As long as science is still out on that (please note I said SCIENCE, not BEAUTY GURU), I trust my own skin condition which is meticulously monitored everyday and I can say now that after 2 months application every other night, Liquid Gold works for MY skin. High concentration of alcohol can be a hit or miss with me, so I'll never be blindly pro- or con-alcohol since it totally depend on the formulation of the product, usage and what I like to call 'auxiliary factors'. Have you changed other parts of your skin care routine, is it 'the time of the month', did you wash your hands every time you touched your face etc.

How I use this: every other night, rotating with Skinceuticals retinol 1.0, after cleansing. I leave it on for 30min after which I apply a pretty thick layer of night cream (my fav is La Prairie anti-aging night cream). I experimented for 2 months to find the perfect routine for me. I discovered that without the night cream my skin feels soft but looks dehydrated the next day. I discovered too that I needed a thick night cream, since my usual go to (Lancôme Hydra Zen night cream) wasn't cutting it. I discovered that LG plays well with my favorite retinol. Yes you can combine AHA with retinol since they complement each other. Retinol (or vitamin A derivatives) works on a cellular level, boosting cell turnover, which in turn boost collagen production (giving you that 'fuller' look), unclog pores and thicken the deep skin layers where wrinkles start. AHA 'unglues' dead skin cells. As you can see, both products can cause flaking skin when used too aggressively. Hence after much experimentation, I landed on above described skin care nighttime routine.

For completeness sake, I also once week buff my skin in the morning with Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant. I call it buffing instead of exfoliating since the rice paste is so smooth, but does a hell of a job. If you can actually FEEL the size of the particle between your fingers it's too harsh! I also like to use a cheap 3min facial mask in the morning twice a week. I don't use a face wash anymore, instead I use a cheap drugstore micellar water, followed by Lancôme Galatee cleansing milk and Lancôme Tonic Douceur. I finish Clarins bi-facil serum intensif, L'Oreal Revitalift serum and day cream spf 15. Yes my skin care routine is VERY extensive :)

The reason I describe my whole day- and night time skin care routine here is because I believe the success or failure of a product stands or falls with your whole routine. There's no miracle product, there's no one size fits all. Educate yourself, experiment (within reason) and good luck!

on 11/27/2016 10:32:00 PM

Such an overrated product !! I received a 50ml as a gift with purchase from Sephora. This product is the worst. Smells flammable!! Overpriced for only 5% Glycolic Acid, mostly water and denatured alcohol. It dried my skin out so much that it produced excess oil. I was waking up with the worst oil slicks in my t-zone. They should rename it Liquid Alcohol !! Awful stuff. Not recommended and had no effect on resurfacing minor acne scarring.

on 3/5/2017 10:58:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I went with the hype of the product and honestly, I don't think it was a good idea. Used it as required, and in all fairness it did seem to make difference at first. However, due to my sensitive skin, I developed strong rash and soreness on my face, especially my cheeks and nose. Few spots appeared here and there and my generally good skin looks tragic now. It is a shame really, after hearing all good reviews. My mother-in-law for a change loves the product and she's using it religiously. I suppose it's a lot to do with your skin type, so I'd recommend a little patch test before applying it all over your face.

on 3/29/2017 10:38:00 AM

OMG I have been using this product for a week and what a difference to my face it made! At the end of winter my face is dehydrated, covered with redness, spots and scars. I applied this product 3 times. The first one was ok. The second one my face started to peel for a couple of days after. Third time I applied to my lips too. My skin transformed! Scars are fading away, spots are less, complexion is clearer. My lips are big! Indeed the face might feel a bit dry and tightened but this is easily corrected with a good moisturiser. I will continue using the product hoping the condition of my skin will improve even further. It is expensive but i totally recommend.