Alpha-H Liquid Gold

Alpha-H Liquid Gold
Liquid Gold

3.6

Not tested on animals

Water, Alcohold Denat, Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Hydrolysed Silk, Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol.

on 3/5/2017 10:58:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I went with the hype of the product and honestly, I don't think it was a good idea. Used it as required, and in all fairness it did seem to make difference at first. However, due to my sensitive skin, I developed strong rash and soreness on my face, especially my cheeks and nose. Few spots appeared here and there and my generally good skin looks tragic now. It is a shame really, after hearing all good reviews. My mother-in-law for a change loves the product and she's using it religiously. I suppose it's a lot to do with your skin type, so I'd recommend a little patch test before applying it all over your face.

Like with food, you HAVE to do you homework before purchasing, meaning read the reviews, sure, but more importantly read the ingredients list and then read ABOUT the ingredients. I know some people eat broccoli because some health guru said 'it burns away bellyfat' (it doesn't), but you can also eat broccoli for it's high iron-, water- and fiber content. Just saying.

AHA, or alpha hydroxy acid, or glycolic acid, or lactic acid, or citric acid, is a chemical exfoliator. It's suited for those with dry skin that needs some brightening and smoothening, since it 'unglues' dead skin cells. BHA, or beta hydroxyl acid, or salicylic acid, is mostly suited for those with clogged pores because it plays well with oil and therefore penetrates the skin deeper than AHA and can 'clean' your pores from the inside out. Both are chemical peels, meaning they don't work as a surface skin exfoliator but a few skin layers deeper.

So if you decide to go down the route of a chemical peel, choose one that is suited for your skin type. Remember though, this is not a miracle product. For instance this will NOT get rid of minor acne scars since they are SCARS, however minor. You'll need professional chemicals peels for that.

Next, the glycolic acid content. This one has 5%, which is right in the ballpark of OTC skin care products. Olay Resurfacing night serum has 8%, but that one has never done anything for me because (and this will be controversial) the alcohol helps with the penetration of the acid. That is a proven property of alcohol in skincare. The controversy is in that opinions differ on whether the damage caused by alcohol is greater than the benefits derived from the product. As long as science is still out on that (please note I said SCIENCE, not BEAUTY GURU), I trust my own skin condition which is meticulously monitored everyday and I can say now that after 2 months application every other night, Liquid Gold works for MY skin. High concentration of alcohol can be a hit or miss with me, so I'll never be blindly pro- or con-alcohol since it totally depend on the formulation of the product, usage and what I like to call 'auxiliary factors'. Have you changed other parts of your skin care routine, is it 'the time of the month', did you wash your hands every time you touched your face etc.

How I use this: every other night, rotating with Skinceuticals retinol 1.0, after cleansing. I leave it on for 30min after which I apply a pretty thick layer of night cream (my fav is La Prairie anti-aging night cream). I experimented for 2 months to find the perfect routine for me. I discovered that without the night cream my skin feels soft but looks dehydrated the next day. I discovered too that I needed a thick night cream, since my usual go to (Lancôme Hydra Zen night cream) wasn't cutting it. I discovered that LG plays well with my favorite retinol. Yes you can combine AHA with retinol since they complement each other. Retinol (or vitamin A derivatives) works on a cellular level, boosting cell turnover, which in turn boost collagen production (giving you that 'fuller' look), unclog pores and thicken the deep skin layers where wrinkles start. AHA 'unglues' dead skin cells. As you can see, both products can cause flaking skin when used too aggressively. Hence after much experimentation, I landed on above described skin care nighttime routine.

For completeness sake, I also once week buff my skin in the morning with Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant. I call it buffing instead of exfoliating since the rice paste is so smooth, but does a hell of a job. If you can actually FEEL the size of the particle between your fingers it's too harsh! I also like to use a cheap 3min facial mask in the morning twice a week. I don't use a face wash anymore, instead I use a cheap drugstore micellar water, followed by Lancôme Galatee cleansing milk and Lancôme Tonic Douceur. I finish Clarins bi-facil serum intensif, L'Oreal Revitalift serum and day cream spf 15. Yes my skin care routine is VERY extensive :)

The reason I describe my whole day- and night time skin care routine here is because I believe the success or failure of a product stands or falls with your whole routine. There's no miracle product, there's no one size fits all. Educate yourself, experiment (within reason) and good luck!

on 11/27/2016 10:32:00 PM

Such an overrated product !! I received a 50ml as a gift with purchase from Sephora. This product is the worst. Smells flammable!! Overpriced for only 5% Glycolic Acid, mostly water and denatured alcohol. It dried my skin out so much that it produced excess oil. I was waking up with the worst oil slicks in my t-zone. They should rename it Liquid Alcohol !! Awful stuff. Not recommended and had no effect on resurfacing minor acne scarring.

on 11/23/2016 5:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Repurchased many times, just works really well on my skin - won't be the best for very sensitive skin but I have a lot of skin issues (texture and acne) but it's ok to take a break from time to time, but it is amazing for my skin.

Now this seems to be a product with a cult-following. Whenever I check my IG feed, I see at least ten bloggers feature it and call it their "must have", "HG" etc.

I have been testing this guy for about a month now and here is what I have to say. For starters make sure to wear a good SPF whenever you use it! Some of my friends did burn their faces and were left with minor (but still annoying) sun spots and pigmentation. You shoud be using this product as a toner, serum and even moisturizer - all in one. It does exfoliate your skin as well and being somewhat lazy - this seems like a good deal to me.

Now if you have problematic, acne-prone skin - I would highly recommend doing the patch-test and asking for a sample first. Over time this product brightens, softens and smoothes your skin, but I would still use a moisturizer with it simply because it is not nourishing enough.

It works wonders on the neck and decolletage, but I don't think that I would ever re-purchase it. It is a bit hyped up in my opinion and you can read more pros and cons in a separate blog post here ( http://www.partyparrotblog.com/single-post/2016/10/29/Alpha-H-Liquid-Gold-Review ). Hope you find it helpful!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

HOLY GRAIL one-step skincare for me. My skin looks radiant in the morning every time I use it at night. It also saves much times as it doesn't require you to use toner or moisturizer or any serum/treatment afterwards. It's amazing and I'm glowing!

on 8/4/2016 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I don't understand the bad reviews :(

I'm light olive skinned.

This is one of the first acid toner products I used. Since then I have used Biologique Recherché, Peter Thomas Roth, Paula's Choice, Glow Tonic, etc and this remains one of the most gentle and effective exfoliants. The 5% glycolic acid is enough to resurface skin although it's certainly not effective at building collagen when compared to retinol.

True, a main ingredient is alcohol but this is how most acid products are formulated and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. On the flip side this contains licorice extract which I have found works as a truly miraculous skin brighter. It works very well on red and brown marks I have from picking or past scarring. I worked my way up from using this twice a week to every other day. That, in conjunction with a high quality SPF, a good cleanser, and a decent moisturizer transformed my skin and the way I look at beauty. If you don't use those things then you're undoing the work on a daily basis and may not see good results. Also, after about three months your skin may plateau. I found it helpful to use another product or stay away from exfoliation for about two weeks and my skin will react well when I start again. I am complimented most when I use this product and I will repurchase again.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Well this is a great product for those of you who battle with discoloration and uneven texture of the skin...I, myself battled with all general skin issues & I've tried heaps of skincare products along with topical treatments such as Retinol and beta hydroxy acids. Well using photosensitive products and other acne medications bleach skin overtime leaving patches which leads to uneven skin color...

Optimal frequency of application: Every 2-3 days
Texture: Watery Liquid
Color : Colorless
Method of Use: put a little amount on a cotton pad and initially apply on more oil prone areas such as nose, forehead, chin then massage on cheeks, temples and finally all over face,
Best use is after a good cleanse and at night time, only take seconds to absorb.

Personal Experience: This product comes with a great packaging and the container is very eye catchy and for the price it worth well. It is been nearly 5 months since I've been using religiously for every 2-3 days and still only a quarter is empty. It absorbs well and very light, I do not have a sensitive skin therefore i didn't experience any burn or redness so far. But right after application I feel a little tightness and dryness, it is short lasting. After absorption it is better to use a light weight moisturizer. I usually apply a hydrating mask the night before I apply this so my skin wouldn't get overly dry. If you do not moisturize your skin properly, irritation is inevitable.

Overall Results: My skin used to have uneven texture, it wasn't smooth with lots of hyper-pigment spots. Now my uneven of the skin tone has reduced drastically and my complexion has improved a lot. I've noticed that my breakouts are not so long lasting and my scars fade quicker than usual...

Further Comments : A recommend this to anyone, Especially must have exfoliator for those who are with skin issues, it helps to improve the complexion of skin. It does what it says, make sure to apply on a well moisturized skin. Give months to see results...I will definitely buy this again!!! Please use a good sunscreen with at least SPF 30 as this increases photo damage of your skin.

on 6/7/2016 4:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Thank you Ruth (AMR) and Caroline (Hirons)! This has been such a game changer for me! My skin was a mess after my second pregnancy, tired looking, lots of redness & dryness here and there, visible pores, milia and some spots on the chin and cheeks. I've been using this for a month now and it has done magic other my skin. The texture is more refined, pores are less visible or even invisible, the milia and spots almost completely gone, and it feels so unbelievably soft! I use it every other night, nothing on top of it. I used to wear at least a bb cream or tm whenever I went out of the house but now I can go without it in the morning on the school run, my skin hasn't looked this good in years! Highly recommended!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I had a horrible experience with this product. I bought it because I read it would help me get rid of old acne marks and used it for three months so it would have time to live up to its reputation.
Well, I shouldn't have.
It didn't do anything to those marks and my skin only got worse. I suddenly had to deal with cystic acne, in a way that had NEVER happened to me before, not even when I was a teen. Sure, it could be related to my hormones but it all started when I got this product, I didn't use any other new product, and now that I've (FINALLY) tossed it my skin is looking much better, so yeah, I'm convinced this was caused by Liquid Gold. I don't know exaclty why and which ingredient is to blame, but I sure wish I knew so I could avoid it in the future.
I read it "saved" some people's skin (good for you, honestly!) but, to me, it was just horrible.
So what I learned is : 1. Products work differently on everyone, what is a miracle to some can be a nightmare to others; 2. If something doesn't work out for you : get rid of it. Yup, even if it wasn't cheap, it's never wortht it.