Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

3.9

on 6/3/2016 8:41:00 PM

I was trying to remove the blue from my hair but it literally did not even phase the color. I was very displeased with this

on 5/12/2016 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

The first time I used this, I knew it would smell and dry my hair out from all the previous reviews./ However, not nearly as much as it did. It is an indescribable smell. It also stays on long after it is applied. It took me about 4 washes to completely get rid of the stench. I immediately used my favorite deep conditioner after and my hair was still dry. On top of that, the previous color was unsuccessfully removed.

To Read all 237 Reviews, Login or Join

Well I recently tried to dye my hair dark brown and it came out jet black. Which I am a brown head already and it's curly. So I went out and bought this product and I'm going to warn you, it smells like complete crap. The product does work and also burns very bad. The product did seem to make my hair more of a light brown with slight red parts. Overall it was okay, but did seem to leave my hair dry and very course but I can solve that. So if you really need a quick solution definately do it but if you have time get a better product. Hope this was helpful 😀

Edit--I used this Sunday. It's now Tuesday night. And my hair isn't as light as it was. I rinsed as long as I could stand it and shampooed over and over and over. And my hair is now noticeably darker. Now, it's not black, but it's still in deep dark brown territory. The product claims if a second application is used it will only remove "minimal" color. Another thing I noticed besides the color reversal and the residual smell is when I was using my flat iron yesterday morning there was a clear "metallic" odor coming from my hair. This product reminds me of that Grecian formula stuff my dad used back in the 70s to keep his hair dark when it began to go gray. If memory serves that stuff had metallic agents to it and caused serious problems for many who used it.

I tried this to avoid an expensive trip to the salon or a home bleach wash. Now to be honest I'm scared to do anything further as I don't know what's left in my hair of this product. wouldn't buy it again.

**original review**
Amazing stuff!! My hair primer: I'm 47, have been coloring for decades. Natural medium brown, have been every color there is. Recently after two years of blonde I got bored and went to a dark brown. Loved it. Then decided to bodly go black. Loved it. But I recently cut my hair to a below the chin but above the shoulders one length blunt bob. Black doesn't work if you don't have layers. It looks just boring. So it was time to lift the black and head back to dark brown territory.

I watched videos and read reviews. Picked this up at the drug store along with a box of Dark Brown color. Applied to my hair. It's very watery so be prepared. It also is sulphate based so beware of the smell. Seriously. Perms are worse than this, if that helps. I let it sit for the recommended 20 minutes and figured it would never lift my black, done as recently as two weeks ago.

After 20 I got into the shower and rinsed with as hot as I could stand. And rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. Then the first shampoo. Rinsed again for a while. Ultimately I shampooed four times rinsing thoroughly each time. On the last go round I used conditioner. Rinsed again thoroughly. Washed myself up, and rinsed some more, even running a detangling comb through and rinse rinse rinse. Put my turbie on and got dressed.

I removed my turbie after about 10 minutes. Sprayed a ton of leave in conditioner into my hair. Again used the detangle comb, being extra careful. It was definitely lighter, but wet I couldn't see what direction it was going to go. Would there be residual blonde coming through? Would I need to use the color I bought? Took the nozzle off my dryer and started rough drying. I didn't really use many brushes, if any. I just rough dried and let it do what it wanted to do. My end result was...

Medium to dark brown with a reddish tint in the light. And it's not a bad shade overall. It looks basically how it did after my two steps from blonde to dark brown. And I couldn't be happier.

I'll likely wash a few more times this week. And condition like crazy. But my hair doesn't feel fried or damaged, just super clean from all the shampoo. And the best part? I didn't have to use that box of color that I bought.

I've seen this before but had never used until today. Much easier and less damaging than a bleach wash. Smell isn't great but it's not as bad as it could be. Flow the directions to the letter. Don't ignore them. It clearly states it's for traditional color and not Manic Panic. I'm not disappointed at all.

I've been coloring my hair for years with a mix of boxed dyes from places like Target, Walmart and CVS, as well as dyes from Sally Beauty. Recently I was on a bright auburn kick for a long time, up until August 2015. I decided to go blonde before I went on vacation and thought I'd be able to bleach the red out. I ended up having orange hair and the ash blonde dye didn't cover it up so I went back to red. I tried going dark brown a month or so after and it ended up coming out black and I didn't like it at all and was way too dark for me. I thought since I used to dye over my brown hair with the red before it would work this time. Instead I was left with bright auburn roots (about 2-3 inches) and the rest stayed super dark brown. I gave my hair a couple of months free of coloring and recently decided I wanted to go blonde again. I researched and watched a lot of videos on youtube and Color Oops was a brand that was talked about a lot. I figured since bleaching it wouldn't help (since it didn't last time) I'd go ahead and give Color Oops a shot.
I bought 4 boxes of it since the videos I saw it looked very runny and thin. I ended up only using 1 box to cover all my hair the first time and had a tiny bit to spare. The mix up and application was simple, about the same as every other boxed dye. It came with gloves and a cap to wear. i heard the smell was awful but I wasn't expecting this. It's smelled so bad I had to put the trash from it in a grocery bag and take it right outside because it started to stink my whole bathroom up. It was awful but definitely something I could deal with. After rinsing my hair for what felt like a thousand times (actually 4, total rinse time instructions call for is 35 broken up into: shampoo and rinse for 15-20 minutes and then shampoo and rinse for 5 minutes three more times) the water ran ice cold. I rinsed as much as possible though because the instructions said the more you rinse the more likely you'll achieve the desired color you want. A lot of reviewers also said their hair still smelled afterwards. I deep conditioned after my final rinse and my hair now smells just like my conditioner and no longer like the product. My hair just dried a little while ago and theres a small amount of reddish tint still left. I'll use another box to hopefully achieve the look I'm going for before lightening and then later coloring my hair. Overall I'd personally recommend Color Oops to someone looking to remove color. It's simple to use and gets the job done at a fraction of the cost it would at a salon.

I dyed my hair with a drugstore dark brown, it turned out jet black. I'm a natural brunette, I hated the black. So, after some research I found Color oops. I looked at the reviews, I learned how to use it and I must say that I am ecstatic with the results. If you follow the instructions to the T, you will get really close to your natural hair color. A good shampoo, conditioner and some argan oil will help the dryness.
The only problem with this product, is that it smells like a million men farted in your hair. It really should come the a warning lable about the smell. Three days later, and my head still smells like a gigantic fart! I use John Friedas Cool Dip shampoo and conditioner, which smells very minty, it does not do anything for the smell. Needless to say my hair smells like mint and boiled eggs. I know it will fade, but my hair falls below my waist when it down, so theres a good bit of it to hold on to the oder.
I learned from my oops. I do not know if I would use the product again. But, if I really hated my hair color I might. Again the results are amazing.

on 1/17/2016 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is terrible stuff. If you use this on your hair, it will be damaged beyond repair. There are much better options. Vanish and Pravana make extremely gentle color removers that will get rid of box dye and any unwanted hair color without damaging your hair. They work by shrinking the color molecules so that they simply slip out of the hair with a vigorous shampoo. This is not the way Color Oops works. It likely contains some sort of bleach, which accounts for the terrible damage it does. With any color remover, your hair will be very warm, probably bright orange and will require recoloring. Your hair will be very porous, which means it will absorb color faster and therefore have a much darker result. You can avoid this by using a shade that's two to three levels lighter than the color you ultimately want. For example, if your hair is a level 5 and you want a level 6, you would need to use a level 9 shade to attain this end result. Both Vanish and Pravana are gentle and do not contain bleach or any lightening agents. Follow the directions exactly and you'll have hair that still has strength and integrity. Color Oops is about the worst possible color remover you can use imo. And yes, I've used it several times, each time with disastrous results. And yes, I've used both Vanish and Pravana and never had an issue with either one. My hair came out great and other than a little bit of residual dryness (which was resolved with a hydrating mask) I had no damage whatsoever. So I'm rating Color Oops with one lippie because that's all it deserves. There are much better options that are not much more expensive. True, you'll have to wait for shipping, but isn't the health of your hair worth the wait? There's a big difference between Vanish and Pravana and Color Oops. Please don't find out the hard way. I definitely do not recommend Color Oops. I can't think of a worse hair product.

over the summer I had died under my hair red which eventually turned to brown, but the rest of my hair was blonde. I recently wanted to go back all blonde and lose the bottom now brown. I died my hair 3 times and the brown just would not come out, it would look like I didn't even attempt to dye over it. I don't have the money to go to a salon, so when I found this product I ran out and go it and I so far am pleased! The color did fade out and I'm hoping that when I dye it tomorrow it will be my blonde again. The smell does stay on your hair and it doesn't smell good, but it's worth it!

on 1/2/2016 7:01:00 PM

Okay I am a medium brunette with red undertones. I decided to dye my hair multiple times over 2 years and each time they were a different shade of dark brown to dark red. Finally I dyed my hair jet black and it did not fade like the others. First I tried 2 vitamin C treatments to remove the color. They helped a little but this product took away almost every bit of dye that has built up on my hair over the years. I did experience mild irritation that I usually experience with any boxed dye and the smell was a little strong but other than that I have no complaints. My hair feels healthy still. I did a conditioning treatment in the shower to help with that. My hair does look redder than normal but probably could be fixed with brass removing shampoo.
Overall if you take precautions to protect your hair this product should work well but don't expect for red or purple/pink tones to leave easily. The box even sayts that it's not made to do this.

on 11/27/2015 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My hair is naturally dark brown, and I took it all the way to platinum blonde. Since I seem to have a hard time committing to one hair shade, I decided to dye my hair a cherry coke color that went wayyyy too bright and didn't suit me at all! Color oops was able to take out all the red and I left the product in for about 40 minutes. It took me back to the nasty yellow brassy bleach stage which I was able to tone and voila!

Like others have said, this stuff stinks. If you're super sensitive to scents I would stay far away from this. I have thick hair that's a little bit longer than chin length, and I was almost wondering if one bottle was going to be enough to saturate my whole head. The product is very runny and didn't seem to want to absorb into my hair. So just a little heads up to buy more packages than you think you'll need just in case.

Popular Hair Treatments