Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

3.8

on 5/12/2017 7:57:00 PM

I have red hair and a year ago I decided that I wanted to dye my hair a medium brown I tried just using medium brown hair dye and it did not work my hair was still red so I decided that I would bleach my hair out to white was a little fried after I had a lot of breakage so I dyed it the medium brown and have been using coconut milk and african oil and olive oil to bring it back to life and it was even getting to be a lighter brown from the conditioning so I decided I was going to go blonde I bought color opps thinking it would take the brown out of my hair and it would go back to the white of course the rots would still be red to my horror after going through this horrid process of 35 minutes of shampooing and rinsing my hair is now black and I have no idea what to do I dont ave black hair I have never dyed my hair black it even turned my roots black which were red. This product is awful and I would not recommend this product to anyone it even say it is not damaging to your hair but my no longer feels like hair it feels like straw and I have no idea how to fix it Im afraid to do anything else to it god only knows what would happen if I bleached it now I know why Sally's Beauty Supply does not sell it.

on 3/18/2017 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Recently, an experiment with different brands of dye left my hair so dark on the ends that it did not reflect light. It was seriously, swamp witch black - so bad that parts of it were actually dark green. The options were, this or bleach because I had already tried Vitamin C and it did ZERO. I used something like this years ago when it was a two step process, so I thought I would it again before I resorted to bleaching (which still may or may not remove that much dark dye) but almost certainly would have fried my hair. The product was 11.99 at Rite Aid and 13.99 at Walgreens. It is important to note that this will NOT restore your original color, it can only take out the dye enough to reveal what is underneath which will be different if the dye you used had peroxide in it.

I ended up having to do this twice - a day apart to let my hair and scalp rest. I had so much dye in my hair that the ends did not lighten sufficiently the first time. Each time I let it sit for approx. 25 minutes covered by the plastic they provide in the package and then shampooed it out in the shower 3 times including once with dish soap. Yes, you heard that right....you need to shampoo you hair 3 times EACH time you do this to get as much of the color molecules out as possible or it could re-darken. I am not going to lie - this stuff stings, and having to wash your hair so much drys out both it and your skin. It also smells like sulfur, similar to the chemicals they use for perms and the smell lingers for several washings. This is not a fun process at all.....

The good news is that it worked. It took my hair from darker than Black No.1 back to about a level 5. My hair was dry, but not totally fried or falling apart or anything. Nothing that cannot be fixed with some deep conditioning. It also looked good enough that I did not have to bother toning it.

In all, I would give this product a 4. It can be a lifesaver in an emergency, but the smell is quite strong and might be difficult for some to tolerate as is the rinsing process.I should also mention that you cannot use dark dyes again after doing this as everything will grab darker and more quickly due to the hair's porosity.

on 12/29/2016 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I must have done something wrong but I am not sure what. I did a strand test with the product, equal parts, left it 20 min, rinsed and shampooed and rinsed etc, and alas the color is not changed at all.
My hair is dyed a dark chestnut with semi-permanent dye. I have only dyed it once and I am a natural blonde.
Does anyone know why this happened? Please message me if you have any insights or advice.

on 10/17/2016 9:02:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I give it a 2 because that is about how long the change lastest!

I had black cherry dyed hair, over dark brown.. I wanted the black and the purple /wine color hue out of my hair and Just wanted to be brunette again. So I couldn't make it to Sally's to buy Color Fix so I settled for Color Oops. Anyways yes it does smell horrid, however I followed instructions and after washing my hair was a deep orangey brown,, withing hours it darkened to a nice brown I was in love! however... over the course of two days.. until I washed my hair again.. it still smelled horrible but the worst part was that my hair got darker.. anyways almost 2 weeks later and a few washes.. I am back to what I had before I used Color Oops.. how? I do not understand... Anyways I am not pleased.. I was happy for a few days then it went back to crap! So.. In my opinion maybe get an experts advice or try something like Color Fix at a Sally's Goodluck to all!

on 6/3/2016 8:41:00 PM

I was trying to remove the blue from my hair but it literally did not even phase the color. I was very displeased with this

on 5/12/2016 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

The first time I used this, I knew it would smell and dry my hair out from all the previous reviews./ However, not nearly as much as it did. It is an indescribable smell. It also stays on long after it is applied. It took me about 4 washes to completely get rid of the stench. I immediately used my favorite deep conditioner after and my hair was still dry. On top of that, the previous color was unsuccessfully removed.

Well I recently tried to dye my hair dark brown and it came out jet black. Which I am a brown head already and it's curly. So I went out and bought this product and I'm going to warn you, it smells like complete crap. The product does work and also burns very bad. The product did seem to make my hair more of a light brown with slight red parts. Overall it was okay, but did seem to leave my hair dry and very course but I can solve that. So if you really need a quick solution definately do it but if you have time get a better product. Hope this was helpful 😀

Edit--I used this Sunday. It's now Tuesday night. And my hair isn't as light as it was. I rinsed as long as I could stand it and shampooed over and over and over. And my hair is now noticeably darker. Now, it's not black, but it's still in deep dark brown territory. The product claims if a second application is used it will only remove "minimal" color. Another thing I noticed besides the color reversal and the residual smell is when I was using my flat iron yesterday morning there was a clear "metallic" odor coming from my hair. This product reminds me of that Grecian formula stuff my dad used back in the 70s to keep his hair dark when it began to go gray. If memory serves that stuff had metallic agents to it and caused serious problems for many who used it.

I tried this to avoid an expensive trip to the salon or a home bleach wash. Now to be honest I'm scared to do anything further as I don't know what's left in my hair of this product. wouldn't buy it again.

**original review**
Amazing stuff!! My hair primer: I'm 47, have been coloring for decades. Natural medium brown, have been every color there is. Recently after two years of blonde I got bored and went to a dark brown. Loved it. Then decided to bodly go black. Loved it. But I recently cut my hair to a below the chin but above the shoulders one length blunt bob. Black doesn't work if you don't have layers. It looks just boring. So it was time to lift the black and head back to dark brown territory.

I watched videos and read reviews. Picked this up at the drug store along with a box of Dark Brown color. Applied to my hair. It's very watery so be prepared. It also is sulphate based so beware of the smell. Seriously. Perms are worse than this, if that helps. I let it sit for the recommended 20 minutes and figured it would never lift my black, done as recently as two weeks ago.

After 20 I got into the shower and rinsed with as hot as I could stand. And rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. Then the first shampoo. Rinsed again for a while. Ultimately I shampooed four times rinsing thoroughly each time. On the last go round I used conditioner. Rinsed again thoroughly. Washed myself up, and rinsed some more, even running a detangling comb through and rinse rinse rinse. Put my turbie on and got dressed.

I removed my turbie after about 10 minutes. Sprayed a ton of leave in conditioner into my hair. Again used the detangle comb, being extra careful. It was definitely lighter, but wet I couldn't see what direction it was going to go. Would there be residual blonde coming through? Would I need to use the color I bought? Took the nozzle off my dryer and started rough drying. I didn't really use many brushes, if any. I just rough dried and let it do what it wanted to do. My end result was...

Medium to dark brown with a reddish tint in the light. And it's not a bad shade overall. It looks basically how it did after my two steps from blonde to dark brown. And I couldn't be happier.

I'll likely wash a few more times this week. And condition like crazy. But my hair doesn't feel fried or damaged, just super clean from all the shampoo. And the best part? I didn't have to use that box of color that I bought.

I've seen this before but had never used until today. Much easier and less damaging than a bleach wash. Smell isn't great but it's not as bad as it could be. Flow the directions to the letter. Don't ignore them. It clearly states it's for traditional color and not Manic Panic. I'm not disappointed at all.

I've been coloring my hair for years with a mix of boxed dyes from places like Target, Walmart and CVS, as well as dyes from Sally Beauty. Recently I was on a bright auburn kick for a long time, up until August 2015. I decided to go blonde before I went on vacation and thought I'd be able to bleach the red out. I ended up having orange hair and the ash blonde dye didn't cover it up so I went back to red. I tried going dark brown a month or so after and it ended up coming out black and I didn't like it at all and was way too dark for me. I thought since I used to dye over my brown hair with the red before it would work this time. Instead I was left with bright auburn roots (about 2-3 inches) and the rest stayed super dark brown. I gave my hair a couple of months free of coloring and recently decided I wanted to go blonde again. I researched and watched a lot of videos on youtube and Color Oops was a brand that was talked about a lot. I figured since bleaching it wouldn't help (since it didn't last time) I'd go ahead and give Color Oops a shot.
I bought 4 boxes of it since the videos I saw it looked very runny and thin. I ended up only using 1 box to cover all my hair the first time and had a tiny bit to spare. The mix up and application was simple, about the same as every other boxed dye. It came with gloves and a cap to wear. i heard the smell was awful but I wasn't expecting this. It's smelled so bad I had to put the trash from it in a grocery bag and take it right outside because it started to stink my whole bathroom up. It was awful but definitely something I could deal with. After rinsing my hair for what felt like a thousand times (actually 4, total rinse time instructions call for is 35 broken up into: shampoo and rinse for 15-20 minutes and then shampoo and rinse for 5 minutes three more times) the water ran ice cold. I rinsed as much as possible though because the instructions said the more you rinse the more likely you'll achieve the desired color you want. A lot of reviewers also said their hair still smelled afterwards. I deep conditioned after my final rinse and my hair now smells just like my conditioner and no longer like the product. My hair just dried a little while ago and theres a small amount of reddish tint still left. I'll use another box to hopefully achieve the look I'm going for before lightening and then later coloring my hair. Overall I'd personally recommend Color Oops to someone looking to remove color. It's simple to use and gets the job done at a fraction of the cost it would at a salon.

I dyed my hair with a drugstore dark brown, it turned out jet black. I'm a natural brunette, I hated the black. So, after some research I found Color oops. I looked at the reviews, I learned how to use it and I must say that I am ecstatic with the results. If you follow the instructions to the T, you will get really close to your natural hair color. A good shampoo, conditioner and some argan oil will help the dryness.
The only problem with this product, is that it smells like a million men farted in your hair. It really should come the a warning lable about the smell. Three days later, and my head still smells like a gigantic fart! I use John Friedas Cool Dip shampoo and conditioner, which smells very minty, it does not do anything for the smell. Needless to say my hair smells like mint and boiled eggs. I know it will fade, but my hair falls below my waist when it down, so theres a good bit of it to hold on to the oder.
I learned from my oops. I do not know if I would use the product again. But, if I really hated my hair color I might. Again the results are amazing.

Popular Hair Treatments