Color Oops Extra Strength Hair Color Remover

Color Oops Extra Strength Hair Color Remover

3.8

Part 1: Deionized Water, Sodium Hydrosulfite, Fragrance, Polysorbate-80, Hydroxyethcellulose, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine.Part 2: Deionized Water, Citric Acid, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Xanthan Gum.

on 9/29/2018 2:22:00 AM

I'm naturally a red auburn but have been dying my hair brown/black for the last 4 yrs. I used color oops and it pulled all the unwanted dark color out of my hair! ♡ I honestly was very surprised. I'm very happy with this produce and the results

on 8/1/2018 6:00:00 PM

This product works, but it doesn't perform miracles. It is a pain and a hassle to use it, and it leaves a lingering and unpleasant sulfur-scent in the hair. So keep that in mind, it may or may not be worth it for you to bother with this. Depends on what your situation is.

If the hair has been dyed just once, even if it's a dark shade, this can get it out. You can get your natural hair color back if it's only been dyed once. And that's pretty impressive. If the hair has been dyed many times, however, this will just fade the dye a bit and make it a tad orange-y.

Now here's the catch. If you dye your hair again, after going through the trouble of using Color Oops, you pretty much undo what you just did. It's because this product works by shrinking the dye molecules so that they're small enough to be rinsed away. Hence all the rinsing that's required. But then the next time you dye your hair, even if you go with a different color, whatever molecules that got left behind will "unshrink" and then it's like the old hair dye comes back.

So no, I wouldn't buy this again. It's not worth it IMO.

I read the directions. Not once, not twice but so many times I lost count just to make sure I did it right. And read them right before applying this to my hair too. Looked online at so many reviews, watched many, many You Tube tutorials for advice and reviews, etc.
And this was a fail in so many ways. I'm so pissed that I wasted time and money on this useless crap, expecting results, going in with a positive attitude and doing all the research I could on this smelly shit in a bottle.
A little about my hair: I stupidly (yes, I take responsibility for this part) dyed my hair pitch black over my beautiful auburn hair. I had just gotten the rest of my ragged and super porous ends that had the last of my blonde hair cut off and decided to go black in an effort to recreate my Goth days of high school, thinking it would still somehow, stupidly, look good on me because I watch Thataylaa on YT and thinks she looks great with black hair, so I would too. Wrong. It didn't. The moment I looked at my hair after washing out the black dye I regretted it.
But I waited about over 2 weeks to see if it would grow on me but it didn't. I hated the black on me more and more everyday.
So I went to Walgreen's and bought the last box of Extra Strength Color Oops. I picked Extra Strength cause I was the darkest you could get as far as hair goes so of course, stupid me, thinking extra strength would do a good enough job to remove the hideous black from my hair.
Applied this useless crap to my hair, really making sure to saturate my entire head from roots to ends and placed a disposable shower cap on my head and used a blow dryer for 10 mins on low then put a hot towel right out of the dryer on my head, hoping heat would help even though in the instructions for this crap it says don't use heat but I did it anyways because of all the reviews I read and videos I watched that had stated heat helped. Bullshit!
I even added an extra 5 mins to really give this some time to work but the extra 5 mins were pretty useless for the results I got.
I did exactly as stated, rinse your hair for 20 mins ("yes, 20 mins" exactly word for word that was stated in the instructions) and shampooed not once but three times. My end result color was a very dark espresso color. Like a very dark roasted espresso coffee bean that you buy from Starbucks to brew at home, teetering on the borderline of still being black. I was pissed! Still am.
I followed up with a protein treatment and a deep conditioning treatment but nothing got the stench of Hades out of my hair.
I waited a few days to decide what my next decision should be about my hair. I was not applying this useless crap to my hair again, that was for sure.
But as the days wore on about 1/2" of my ends and 1/2" of my roots started to fade naturally on their own. I hadn't done anything to my hair since I first applied this stuff to my hair, not even shampooed, so my hair was lightening on it's own for some unknown reason. After 5 days I decided to test a strand of hair to see if auburn hair dye would work on my hair. It only worked on the ends and roots, the areas that had mysteriously lightened on their own. So I decided to bleach my hair which I have mixed feelings about. Honestly I should have just gone to see a pro at this point. I'm not new to bleaching my own hair and I was able to lift nearly all of the espresso color out (applied bleach all over then went in to apply it to my roots sparingly once the entire hair was saturated and used Olaplex 1 in my bleach so as to try and minimize damage. See? Did everything nearly right!) but my roots are looking awful because they lightened up so much as the days wore on after applying Color Oops to my hair. So now my roots are a super bright orange color and the rest of my hair is a beautiful, natural auburn color aside from a tiny bit of my ends that look somewhat like my roots but are manageable and don't look too bad. So now I have to figure out how to fix this mess of hot roots I have or don a beanie until I can figure out what to do or get in to see a stylist who will know how to color correct this problem.
I should have just used bleach and not even tried this crap out, my fault for reading the good reviews and thinking this was going to be an easy fix when it wasn't.
Overall I will say this lightened my hair 1-1.5 levels which isn't much at all and not worth the time, money and effort spent on using this, not to mention all the time I spent researching this crappy product. This stuff is not worth the effort, time and money imho.
Please note: This will NOT remove unnatural hair dye such as pink, purple, blue, etc. It states it in the instructions included with this crap.
Also, I could not cut the top off my bottle after I mixed the 2 solutions together. I even tried a kitchen knife but it was too thick for anything to cut through it so I had to use my own dye bottle that now has the permanent stench of Hades in it.
Heed my advice: Don't bother with this crap.
Other recommended alternatives that seem to get good reviews/advice: See a pro if making drastic changes to your hair! If you can't afford that route then I recommend using bleach in the form of a bleach bath (clear shampoo mixed with developer and bleach powder. It's far easier to apply bleach this way to your hair. You Tube has a ton of videos on how to do this but do your research well. If your hair is very fragile I recommend NOT using bleach at all!), Joico Color Intensity Eraser (available on Amazon and Sleekhair.com. This got a lot of positive reviews and is far cheaper than Color Oops. You will need to buy developer for this though), Pravana Artificial Hair Color Extractor (on Amazon). Buy anything else besides Color Oops, that is the best recommendation I can give.
TL;DR.
Overall I just want to state this is a YMMV product but looking at the majority of the reviews, there's a reason why this useless crap has only 1 lippie.
Naturally my hai

on 5/22/2018 6:47:00 PM

READ THE DIRECTIONS first. About half the poor reviews are from people who did not heed the instructions nor take the strand test. It is simple to tell, for example, those who describe using a direct dye (this product specifically shrinks the dye molecule within the hair shaft-- doesn't affect the dye sitting on top).

You need to know what kind of chemicals you put on your hair for the entire history of its length, as the reset can only go to the last known good configuration of when a peroxide-based bleach or haircolor was used. Your roots are virgin; the coloured bits below them are the prime candidate for this product; and anything beyond that may have been lost in the mists of time, hence YMMV.

I have used this product twice, and heavily researched the comments and the science of hair colour before I began. I did this over a holiday period where I would not be expected to be anywhere. I had at the ready temporary dye, protein filler, regular box dye several shades lighter than my intended, and a hair mask for extra nutrition. My salon felt I should put them on emergency standby, but it's only because a stylist always uses peroxide to remove old dye and so expects blotches and costly corrective measures.

I didn't end up needing the temporary dye nor the filler as my result wasn't blotchy (possibly because of the constancy of my product use over the years). I let my hair rest for two weeks before redyeing it several shades lighter just to get back to normal shade, and to not stress it out more.

My mistake the first time was not using a harsh enough shampoo to wash out the shrunken molecules before they re-oxidized. This is not an occasion for pampering! You will punish your hair for almost an hour, then spend the rest of your days treating it right.
The rinsing-out stage is so crucial, to pull your punches will render the expense and damage (yes, there is some: it's a strong chemical) all for naught.

The second time, I used a sulfate shampoo and washed my hair 5 times. Doing so reduced my rinse time and lightened my hair better, although there still was some re-darkening over the next two days. (This is why you really ought to wait to re-dye.)

In summary:
- yes it's smelly, like eggs. It stays in your hair, which after the second time smells like it's been burnt by a curling iron
- the product is somewhat runny, so after mixing, check its viscosity before squeezing all over your head/sink
- it does not contain peroxide bleach but it will take the colour out of your mats/shirt
- try it in a warm room (because science)
- washing/rinsing is what will knock out the dye molecules: try to go for 30 minutes of constant washing and rinsing. Bring in a timer.
- be patient afterwards and wait out the 48 hours to see where you land on your new colour before making any further changes
- have emergency backup of a hydrating treatment mask or a temp dye in case of brittleness or colour surprises
- this is superior to other peroxide bleach-based lightening products as bleach has its own challenges (you know how bottle blondes end up with green hair sometimes?) and this will not ruin your hair the same way
- you can potentially go from your old dye job to a new one without needing to use a filler, worry about pigments, or fuss about with undertones

My hair was pretty much black and I colour a layer underneath with different fun colours.
Reds, blues, purples.
I’ve been doing so for quite some time. I had my hair Veronica black, and got sick of it so I removed the colour a year or two back, using another Color remover. This left me with orange hair, so I recoloured with a med. brown. Which left my hair almost black again. This was after using a keratin filler.
Oh, the joys of pourois hair) At that point I bought dark brown semi perm. And stuck with it.
Yesterday, I made a rash choice of trying to lift the black again, as I’d like to grow out my natural colou again. I went to the pharmacy and bought Color Oops, despite my still having another product at home. I also bought 2 different shades of ash brown, in case I had to tone grassiness and build colour again. I applied the Color Oops, which, I must add, didn’t smell near as horrible as other removal products I have used.. left it in for 20. I took the plastic cap off and it didn’t look like anything has lifted at all, except for some blue. But not much. I rinsed, shampooed, treated, repeat, for a good 15-20 min.
I took the towel and it still didn’t look like anything lifted, have to admit, I was kinda ticked. I dried my hair and that’s when I noticed. The black was indeed gone, leaving me with a lovely dark chocolate brown, kind of the colour I was gunning for a year or so back, and probably what the casting shade should have been had my hair not been so porous.
I did a few more treatments, as this can be drying. coloured the layers underneath vampire red and I am good to go! I was so mad that it seemed li,e it hadn’t worked, but it actually did. Now I can also return the “ save my butt” shades of ash back to the pharmacy.
I live in Canada, and this product ran me 17.99 at our Local Shoppers Drug Mart. As I said, odor wasn’t too bad, definitely tolerable and I was in my small ensuite bathroom. It’s runny, but it also saturates every strand. My hair is a little below shoulder length, fine, and not overtly thick so one package was just enough, if you have thicker hair, I suggest 2. Comb it through or apply with a brush, just know the directions say to do so quickly, as the product can lose effectiveness as it sits once it’s mixed.
Overall, I am quite happy. I liked the results far better because it focused on build up only, not removing all of the colour. maybe I lucked out. Either way, if I ever needed to use it again, I definitely would. But hopefully, I don’t. 😉

on 1/1/2018 2:46:00 PM

I had a few layers of black but colour oops promised to take out some of the colour even so. I did not have high expectations, was hoping for maybe even a dark brown at worst. I followed the instructions exactly and it did almost nothing to my hair. Maybe took out a tiny tinge of black but only noticeable if you looked in direct sunlight. I suspect it’s because I used box dye but colour oops promised to take the colour out regardless. What’s worse is although it did not damage my hair, it changed the texture. Which was most evident every time I washed my hair, my hair felt super gross and rubbery, just like the first time I applied it and washed it out. I’ve since bleached it to get rid of the colour which is the only thing that took the rubbery texture away. It’s odd how it’s really a hit and a miss. But I basically wasted my $20+. Thanks colour oops. The only oops was buying you lol. Never again.

on 12/31/2017 3:44:00 AM

I did this twice. It says you can do this three times in a row so I did this. Thursday and Friday.I have a very Ang r y scalp. My head burns aand itches And literally hurts.
I have long hair and everywhere my hair touched it itches and burns. Nothing I do helps. Pretesting show none of there's sump t mos..

Miserable in WA,

on 9/20/2017 6:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

First I dyed my hair red - hated it. Decided to dye dark brown over it - nothing happened! Then I tried going a light brown, thinking the bleach in the dye would remove the red... nope. It turned BLACK.
Color oops removed all the dye and my hair came out a gorgeous caramel colour (naturally dark brown). I was planning to re-dye but I think I might stay with this!
All this product does is remove the pigment from dye. If there is peroxide under the colour, it will reveal whatever shade your hair was lightened to - not your natural colour.
This product does exactly what it's supposed to do - remove pigment. I would say it's best for people who are planning to re-dye, or for those who are trying to recover from a one time color mishap. If you have a history of dying, don't be surprised if your hair comes out unevenly.
The smell isn't nearly as bad as what others have described. Sure, its not pleasant, but is it worth it if it means removing black dye from my hair? Absolutely. Also, in my case the smell didn't linger. I used a leave in conditioner afterward and now my hair just smells like that. (I would recommend this anyway as the product was slightly drying).
The most dreaded part is how long you have to rinse your hair afterward.

on 5/12/2017 7:57:00 PM

I have red hair and a year ago I decided that I wanted to dye my hair a medium brown I tried just using medium brown hair dye and it did not work my hair was still red so I decided that I would bleach my hair out to white was a little fried after I had a lot of breakage so I dyed it the medium brown and have been using coconut milk and african oil and olive oil to bring it back to life and it was even getting to be a lighter brown from the conditioning so I decided I was going to go blonde I bought color opps thinking it would take the brown out of my hair and it would go back to the white of course the rots would still be red to my horror after going through this horrid process of 35 minutes of shampooing and rinsing my hair is now black and I have no idea what to do I dont ave black hair I have never dyed my hair black it even turned my roots black which were red. This product is awful and I would not recommend this product to anyone it even say it is not damaging to your hair but my no longer feels like hair it feels like straw and I have no idea how to fix it Im afraid to do anything else to it god only knows what would happen if I bleached it now I know why Sally's Beauty Supply does not sell it.

on 3/18/2017 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Recently, an experiment with different brands of dye left my hair so dark on the ends that it did not reflect light. It was seriously, swamp witch black - so bad that parts of it were actually dark green. The options were, this or bleach because I had already tried Vitamin C and it did ZERO. I used something like this years ago when it was a two step process, so I thought I would it again before I resorted to bleaching (which still may or may not remove that much dark dye) but almost certainly would have fried my hair. The product was 11.99 at Rite Aid and 13.99 at Walgreens. It is important to note that this will NOT restore your original color, it can only take out the dye enough to reveal what is underneath which will be different if the dye you used had peroxide in it.

I ended up having to do this twice - a day apart to let my hair and scalp rest. I had so much dye in my hair that the ends did not lighten sufficiently the first time. Each time I let it sit for approx. 25 minutes covered by the plastic they provide in the package and then shampooed it out in the shower 3 times including once with dish soap. Yes, you heard that right....you need to shampoo you hair 3 times EACH time you do this to get as much of the color molecules out as possible or it could re-darken. I am not going to lie - this stuff stings, and having to wash your hair so much drys out both it and your skin. It also smells like sulfur, similar to the chemicals they use for perms and the smell lingers for several washings. This is not a fun process at all.....

The good news is that it worked. It took my hair from darker than Black No.1 back to about a level 5. My hair was dry, but not totally fried or falling apart or anything. Nothing that cannot be fixed with some deep conditioning. It also looked good enough that I did not have to bother toning it.

In all, I would give this product a 4. It can be a lifesaver in an emergency, but the smell is quite strong and might be difficult for some to tolerate as is the rinsing process.I should also mention that you cannot use dark dyes again after doing this as everything will grab darker and more quickly due to the hair's porosity.