Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

3.8

on 5/22/2018 6:47:00 PM

READ THE DIRECTIONS first. About half the poor reviews are from people who did not heed the instructions nor take the strand test. It is simple to tell, for example, those who describe using a direct dye (this product specifically shrinks the dye molecule within the hair shaft-- doesn't affect the dye sitting on top).

You need to know what kind of chemicals you put on your hair for the entire history of its length, as the reset can only go to the last known good configuration of when a peroxide-based bleach or haircolor was used. Your roots are virgin; the coloured bits below them are the prime candidate for this product; and anything beyond that may have been lost in the mists of time, hence YMMV.

I have used this product twice, and heavily researched the comments and the science of hair colour before I began. I did this over a holiday period where I would not be expected to be anywhere. I had at the ready temporary dye, protein filler, regular box dye several shades lighter than my intended, and a hair mask for extra nutrition. My salon felt I should put them on emergency standby, but it's only because a stylist always uses peroxide to remove old dye and so expects blotches and costly corrective measures.

I didn't end up needing the temporary dye nor the filler as my result wasn't blotchy (possibly because of the constancy of my product use over the years). I let my hair rest for two weeks before redyeing it several shades lighter just to get back to normal shade, and to not stress it out more.

My mistake the first time was not using a harsh enough shampoo to wash out the shrunken molecules before they re-oxidized. This is not an occasion for pampering! You will punish your hair for almost an hour, then spend the rest of your days treating it right.
The rinsing-out stage is so crucial, to pull your punches will render the expense and damage (yes, there is some: it's a strong chemical) all for naught.

The second time, I used a sulfate shampoo and washed my hair 5 times. Doing so reduced my rinse time and lightened my hair better, although there still was some re-darkening over the next two days. (This is why you really ought to wait to re-dye.)

In summary:
- yes it's smelly, like eggs. It stays in your hair, which after the second time smells like it's been burnt by a curling iron
- the product is somewhat runny, so after mixing, check its viscosity before squeezing all over your head/sink
- it does not contain peroxide bleach but it will take the colour out of your mats/shirt
- try it in a warm room (because science)
- washing/rinsing is what will knock out the dye molecules: try to go for 30 minutes of constant washing and rinsing. Bring in a timer.
- be patient afterwards and wait out the 48 hours to see where you land on your new colour before making any further changes
- have emergency backup of a hydrating treatment mask or a temp dye in case of brittleness or colour surprises
- this is superior to other peroxide bleach-based lightening products as bleach has its own challenges (you know how bottle blondes end up with green hair sometimes?) and this will not ruin your hair the same way
- you can potentially go from your old dye job to a new one without needing to use a filler, worry about pigments, or fuss about with undertones

My hair was pretty much black and I colour a layer underneath with different fun colours.
Reds, blues, purples.
I’ve been doing so for quite some time. I had my hair Veronica black, and got sick of it so I removed the colour a year or two back, using another Color remover. This left me with orange hair, so I recoloured with a med. brown. Which left my hair almost black again. This was after using a keratin filler.
Oh, the joys of pourois hair) At that point I bought dark brown semi perm. And stuck with it.
Yesterday, I made a rash choice of trying to lift the black again, as I’d like to grow out my natural colou again. I went to the pharmacy and bought Color Oops, despite my still having another product at home. I also bought 2 different shades of ash brown, in case I had to tone grassiness and build colour again. I applied the Color Oops, which, I must add, didn’t smell near as horrible as other removal products I have used.. left it in for 20. I took the plastic cap off and it didn’t look like anything has lifted at all, except for some blue. But not much. I rinsed, shampooed, treated, repeat, for a good 15-20 min.
I took the towel and it still didn’t look like anything lifted, have to admit, I was kinda ticked. I dried my hair and that’s when I noticed. The black was indeed gone, leaving me with a lovely dark chocolate brown, kind of the colour I was gunning for a year or so back, and probably what the casting shade should have been had my hair not been so porous.
I did a few more treatments, as this can be drying. coloured the layers underneath vampire red and I am good to go! I was so mad that it seemed li,e it hadn’t worked, but it actually did. Now I can also return the “ save my butt” shades of ash back to the pharmacy.
I live in Canada, and this product ran me 17.99 at our Local Shoppers Drug Mart. As I said, odor wasn’t too bad, definitely tolerable and I was in my small ensuite bathroom. It’s runny, but it also saturates every strand. My hair is a little below shoulder length, fine, and not overtly thick so one package was just enough, if you have thicker hair, I suggest 2. Comb it through or apply with a brush, just know the directions say to do so quickly, as the product can lose effectiveness as it sits once it’s mixed.
Overall, I am quite happy. I liked the results far better because it focused on build up only, not removing all of the colour. maybe I lucked out. Either way, if I ever needed to use it again, I definitely would. But hopefully, I don’t. 😉

on 1/1/2018 2:46:00 PM

I had a few layers of black but colour oops promised to take out some of the colour even so. I did not have high expectations, was hoping for maybe even a dark brown at worst. I followed the instructions exactly and it did almost nothing to my hair. Maybe took out a tiny tinge of black but only noticeable if you looked in direct sunlight. I suspect it’s because I used box dye but colour oops promised to take the colour out regardless. What’s worse is although it did not damage my hair, it changed the texture. Which was most evident every time I washed my hair, my hair felt super gross and rubbery, just like the first time I applied it and washed it out. I’ve since bleached it to get rid of the colour which is the only thing that took the rubbery texture away. It’s odd how it’s really a hit and a miss. But I basically wasted my $20+. Thanks colour oops. The only oops was buying you lol. Never again.

on 12/31/2017 3:44:00 AM

I did this twice. It says you can do this three times in a row so I did this. Thursday and Friday.I have a very Ang r y scalp. My head burns aand itches And literally hurts.
I have long hair and everywhere my hair touched it itches and burns. Nothing I do helps. Pretesting show none of there's sump t mos..

Miserable in WA,

on 9/20/2017 6:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

First I dyed my hair red - hated it. Decided to dye dark brown over it - nothing happened! Then I tried going a light brown, thinking the bleach in the dye would remove the red... nope. It turned BLACK.
Color oops removed all the dye and my hair came out a gorgeous caramel colour (naturally dark brown). I was planning to re-dye but I think I might stay with this!
All this product does is remove the pigment from dye. If there is peroxide under the colour, it will reveal whatever shade your hair was lightened to - not your natural colour.
This product does exactly what it's supposed to do - remove pigment. I would say it's best for people who are planning to re-dye, or for those who are trying to recover from a one time color mishap. If you have a history of dying, don't be surprised if your hair comes out unevenly.
The smell isn't nearly as bad as what others have described. Sure, its not pleasant, but is it worth it if it means removing black dye from my hair? Absolutely. Also, in my case the smell didn't linger. I used a leave in conditioner afterward and now my hair just smells like that. (I would recommend this anyway as the product was slightly drying).
The most dreaded part is how long you have to rinse your hair afterward.

on 5/12/2017 7:57:00 PM

I have red hair and a year ago I decided that I wanted to dye my hair a medium brown I tried just using medium brown hair dye and it did not work my hair was still red so I decided that I would bleach my hair out to white was a little fried after I had a lot of breakage so I dyed it the medium brown and have been using coconut milk and african oil and olive oil to bring it back to life and it was even getting to be a lighter brown from the conditioning so I decided I was going to go blonde I bought color opps thinking it would take the brown out of my hair and it would go back to the white of course the rots would still be red to my horror after going through this horrid process of 35 minutes of shampooing and rinsing my hair is now black and I have no idea what to do I dont ave black hair I have never dyed my hair black it even turned my roots black which were red. This product is awful and I would not recommend this product to anyone it even say it is not damaging to your hair but my no longer feels like hair it feels like straw and I have no idea how to fix it Im afraid to do anything else to it god only knows what would happen if I bleached it now I know why Sally's Beauty Supply does not sell it.

on 3/18/2017 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Recently, an experiment with different brands of dye left my hair so dark on the ends that it did not reflect light. It was seriously, swamp witch black - so bad that parts of it were actually dark green. The options were, this or bleach because I had already tried Vitamin C and it did ZERO. I used something like this years ago when it was a two step process, so I thought I would it again before I resorted to bleaching (which still may or may not remove that much dark dye) but almost certainly would have fried my hair. The product was 11.99 at Rite Aid and 13.99 at Walgreens. It is important to note that this will NOT restore your original color, it can only take out the dye enough to reveal what is underneath which will be different if the dye you used had peroxide in it.

I ended up having to do this twice - a day apart to let my hair and scalp rest. I had so much dye in my hair that the ends did not lighten sufficiently the first time. Each time I let it sit for approx. 25 minutes covered by the plastic they provide in the package and then shampooed it out in the shower 3 times including once with dish soap. Yes, you heard that right....you need to shampoo you hair 3 times EACH time you do this to get as much of the color molecules out as possible or it could re-darken. I am not going to lie - this stuff stings, and having to wash your hair so much drys out both it and your skin. It also smells like sulfur, similar to the chemicals they use for perms and the smell lingers for several washings. This is not a fun process at all.....

The good news is that it worked. It took my hair from darker than Black No.1 back to about a level 5. My hair was dry, but not totally fried or falling apart or anything. Nothing that cannot be fixed with some deep conditioning. It also looked good enough that I did not have to bother toning it.

In all, I would give this product a 4. It can be a lifesaver in an emergency, but the smell is quite strong and might be difficult for some to tolerate as is the rinsing process.I should also mention that you cannot use dark dyes again after doing this as everything will grab darker and more quickly due to the hair's porosity.

on 12/29/2016 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I must have done something wrong but I am not sure what. I did a strand test with the product, equal parts, left it 20 min, rinsed and shampooed and rinsed etc, and alas the color is not changed at all.
My hair is dyed a dark chestnut with semi-permanent dye. I have only dyed it once and I am a natural blonde.
Does anyone know why this happened? Please message me if you have any insights or advice.

on 10/17/2016 9:02:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I give it a 2 because that is about how long the change lastest!

I had black cherry dyed hair, over dark brown.. I wanted the black and the purple /wine color hue out of my hair and Just wanted to be brunette again. So I couldn't make it to Sally's to buy Color Fix so I settled for Color Oops. Anyways yes it does smell horrid, however I followed instructions and after washing my hair was a deep orangey brown,, withing hours it darkened to a nice brown I was in love! however... over the course of two days.. until I washed my hair again.. it still smelled horrible but the worst part was that my hair got darker.. anyways almost 2 weeks later and a few washes.. I am back to what I had before I used Color Oops.. how? I do not understand... Anyways I am not pleased.. I was happy for a few days then it went back to crap! So.. In my opinion maybe get an experts advice or try something like Color Fix at a Sally's Goodluck to all!

on 6/3/2016 8:41:00 PM

I was trying to remove the blue from my hair but it literally did not even phase the color. I was very displeased with this