Kuumba Made Amber Paste

on 7/9/2017 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Holy crap. I love this.
(I am no connoisseur, but I do have a modest wardrobe that includes some pricy fragrances in the $200+ category. I love a good perfume... especially something slightly dirty, sensual, earthy.

I was actually blown away by this $10 bottle of sticky, brown liquid. The specific formulation isn't published. It's got woods, (I think Sandalwood, maybe, or cedar, and/or patchouli), plenty of sweet benzoin, vanilla, and it's well balanced. To me, it's perfect. It's just sexy as hell; spicy, sweet and earthy, (dirty vanilla as one reviewer elsewhere noted).

This stuff lasts for like 12 hours. Seriously. 12. And a little dab'll do ya.
Traveling? Need to pack lite? This bottle it teensy.

The versatility is special. Summer outings? Lounging on the water? Sweaty dancing at a beach club? Heat intensifies this sexy potion. A drop or two divided between wrists and behind ears, or between breasts if you've got them, and you're literally good to go all day, (or night).
It's perfect for sweater weather too. Warm, cozy, and so natural-feeling.

The smallest bottle, which could easily last 6 months, is 10 dollars. If you like these kinds of scents, there is no way to lose with a blind buy. I own a bottle of Noir Pour Femme and this is almost a dupe. But it lasts longer.

I'll have this as long as they make it. After delving deeper into the expensive fragrance rabbit hole, this cheap bottle of brown goo is a breath of fresh air. I feel like I've found treasure.

I'm laughing, (and let's be honest, crying a little too), at the FB of Chanel Gardenia I just bought that fades away 30 minutes after I've sprayed it.

* The only drawback I can see, for some people, is that this is a sweeter amber formulation. It's just a bit gourmand. I wouldn't mind a bit more woods in the formula, but whatever. It's not stopping me from wanting to own as much as I can.

on 12/3/2016 8:44:00 PM

I can't get enough of this amber paste!

I put the tiniest dab of the paste on my fingertip, rub it on another finger, and then apply it to my pulse points. This stuff is sticky and STRONG. I've put a bit too much on before and someone said I smelled like a walking incense stick (not the worst thing, but some people aren't into it).

Applied lightly this paste envelops the wearer in a cloud of sweet warmth. It's hard to describe other than that it's very inviting and pleasant. The paste IS sweet, but not overbearingly so. It has a vanillic quality that borders on being foody, but the resinous notes with a hint of patchouli keep it grounded. I've had friends hug me and hold on as they try to get a better sniff. It raises eyebrows in a very good way. Seems to be loved by all and frequently regarded as sexy!

This is my signature and staple. If ever they discontinued it I think I'd empty my bank account buying as many backup bottles as possible!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am NEVER without a vial of this.
It's rich, syrupy, spicy and dark, it has the texture of black strap molasses and it has the most tantric lasting power.

Hot or cold, rain or shine, windy or calm, Amber Paste never disappoints.

I had an issue with their plastic caps because in extreme heat, the threads inside the screw cap would get smoothed out and cause the vial to leak, but now it's a metal cap: problem gone.

on 7/7/2014 7:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Unlike the other heavily synthetic fragrances in the Kuumba Made line, their Amber Paste smells quite natural. With labdanum, vanilla, and a touch of patchouli, the effect is woody, sweet, ambery, and mellow. The resinous notes are mixed with just enough vanilla to create a cozy, warm effect without being foody or too sugary. The little bit of patchouli in the base gives a bit of smoke and depth to the blend but doesn't veer into hippie territory. Overall it's a very pleasing, easy to wear amber that's a steal at around $10. If you're looking for a sweet, vanillic amber with a touch of patchouli, do give it a try.

on 5/27/2013 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is a very sweet and resinous scent. Smells mysterious. Every time I wear this, I picture the woods on a fall day and roasting marshmallows near a cozy fire.

This is a very thick oil, so it comes with a little applicator stick instead of the usual roller ball. You only need a couple drops and the scent lasts all day and night. I think this would smell fantastic mixed with vanilla oil or lotion.

Oh! And men love this! Every time I wear this, my husband wants to nuzzle near my neck. And men are always asking me what I am wearing or sniffing the air around me in a puzzled yet pleasant dreamy way. LOL. Funny thing, I never get complimented on my higher end perfumes. This is also such an affordable price considering that you only need a couple drops.

on 9/17/2010 9:12:00 PM

When I was in high school, I once purchased a beautiful Amber oil at an imports store. It was a tiny dark bottle in a purple paper box, made in India; very hippie chic. Even today, on an old Tshirt from high school or an old hemp necklace I find in the attic, a hint of the resinous sweetness lingers. After finishing the bottle (14 years ago! I'm old!), I never forgot about that scent. This fall, being pregnant, I have been feeling grossed out by my usual fall scents; all expensive, all synthetic (even Clive Christian, Creed, Bond No.9). My nose can tell! So, I thought I'd go back to something more natural, and I started researching amber oils on makeupalley. I came across the reviews for Amber Paste last night, and I went to Whole Foods today. Let it be known, ladies; this stuff does not disappoint. It's fabulous, and just like the sweet, resinous authentic product I had all those years ago. I paid $9.99 plus tax at Whole Foods, and I agree with the folks below who say this blows Serge Leutens Amber Sultan out of the water! To personalize the Amber Paste scent, it also layers beautifully with any of the Kuumba Made musk fragrances; I tried it on one arm mixed with Water Goddess, on the other arm with Egyptian Musk, and both smell great! The search for the perfect perfume so often sends us fruitlessly seeking after remembered scents from the past; in this one example, I've actually found it again. My nose couldn't be happier!

on 11/23/2009 8:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Decadent, pure amber. I find other ambers too edible and candy sweet, but this one is resinous and deep. There's really not much more to say about it. A great bargain at $8 for 1/8 oz.

Also, please note that this scent smells quite different from Tunisian Amber, which is less sweet and has a woodsy, musky base.

on 8/6/2009 4:00:00 PM

This is a very sexy smell and I get compliments wearing it. Smells not so good on application but after it warms up its a rich spicy long lasting stink. Really cheap. Fantastic bargain.

Edit: Last vial I bought seemed different. Not as nice somehow.
Will try again but if it remains like this I won't buy. It didn't dry down to the sweet sexy smell it had before. Just smelt like horrible cheep resin. Sorry.

This is one of-- if not my absolute-- favorite scent. It is certainly the best amber scent I have encountered. It is a combination of sunny warmth on pine boughs and rich earth, curling up with a good book in a brown leather armchair and sweet incense on a home altar, with a pinch of long, black eyelashes knowingly cast downward for good measure. It is dark and rich and although it is sweet, the sweetness is nothing at all like those weird, fruity body sprays that were all the rage in high school. It is a dark, spicy, grown-up sweetness. Amber involves vanilla, but not in a candy-ish way.

Also, I find that the goo doesn't fling the scent into the air as much as an alcohol-based spray does, but creates a touch more sillage than an oil. So, even though amber itself is a pretty heavy fragrance, this rich goo isn't going to bowl folks over as I walk past.

wow this stuff smells AMAZING!!! this is the only fragrance i wear anymore... on me it almost turns to a warm vanilla/amber ...i get compliments on it all the time yet it's not overbearing....awesome stuff!

Popular Fragrances