Kuumba Made Amber Paste

on 7/9/2017 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Holy crap. I love this.
(I am no connoisseur, but I do have a modest wardrobe that includes some pricy fragrances in the $200+ category. I love a good perfume... especially something slightly dirty, sensual, earthy.

I was actually blown away by this $10 bottle of sticky, brown liquid. The specific formulation isn't published. It's got woods, (I think Sandalwood, maybe, or cedar, and/or patchouli), plenty of sweet benzoin, vanilla, and it's well balanced. To me, it's perfect. It's just sexy as hell; spicy, sweet and earthy, (dirty vanilla as one reviewer elsewhere noted).

This stuff lasts for like 12 hours. Seriously. 12. And a little dab'll do ya.
Traveling? Need to pack lite? This bottle it teensy.

The versatility is special. Summer outings? Lounging on the water? Sweaty dancing at a beach club? Heat intensifies this sexy potion. A drop or two divided between wrists and behind ears, or between breasts if you've got them, and you're literally good to go all day, (or night).
It's perfect for sweater weather too. Warm, cozy, and so natural-feeling.

The smallest bottle, which could easily last 6 months, is 10 dollars. If you like these kinds of scents, there is no way to lose with a blind buy. I own a bottle of Noir Pour Femme and this is almost a dupe. But it lasts longer.

I'll have this as long as they make it. After delving deeper into the expensive fragrance rabbit hole, this cheap bottle of brown goo is a breath of fresh air. I feel like I've found treasure.

I'm laughing, (and let's be honest, crying a little too), at the FB of Chanel Gardenia I just bought that fades away 30 minutes after I've sprayed it.

* The only drawback I can see, for some people, is that this is a sweeter amber formulation. It's just a bit gourmand. I wouldn't mind a bit more woods in the formula, but whatever. It's not stopping me from wanting to own as much as I can.

on 7/7/2014 7:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Unlike the other heavily synthetic fragrances in the Kuumba Made line, their Amber Paste smells quite natural. With labdanum, vanilla, and a touch of patchouli, the effect is woody, sweet, ambery, and mellow. The resinous notes are mixed with just enough vanilla to create a cozy, warm effect without being foody or too sugary. The little bit of patchouli in the base gives a bit of smoke and depth to the blend but doesn't veer into hippie territory. Overall it's a very pleasing, easy to wear amber that's a steal at around $10. If you're looking for a sweet, vanillic amber with a touch of patchouli, do give it a try.

on 9/17/2010 9:12:00 PM

When I was in high school, I once purchased a beautiful Amber oil at an imports store. It was a tiny dark bottle in a purple paper box, made in India; very hippie chic. Even today, on an old Tshirt from high school or an old hemp necklace I find in the attic, a hint of the resinous sweetness lingers. After finishing the bottle (14 years ago! I'm old!), I never forgot about that scent. This fall, being pregnant, I have been feeling grossed out by my usual fall scents; all expensive, all synthetic (even Clive Christian, Creed, Bond No.9). My nose can tell! So, I thought I'd go back to something more natural, and I started researching amber oils on makeupalley. I came across the reviews for Amber Paste last night, and I went to Whole Foods today. Let it be known, ladies; this stuff does not disappoint. It's fabulous, and just like the sweet, resinous authentic product I had all those years ago. I paid $9.99 plus tax at Whole Foods, and I agree with the folks below who say this blows Serge Leutens Amber Sultan out of the water! To personalize the Amber Paste scent, it also layers beautifully with any of the Kuumba Made musk fragrances; I tried it on one arm mixed with Water Goddess, on the other arm with Egyptian Musk, and both smell great! The search for the perfect perfume so often sends us fruitlessly seeking after remembered scents from the past; in this one example, I've actually found it again. My nose couldn't be happier!

on 8/19/2011 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Definately a HG amber for the winter - though i use in the summer as it is so irresistable more so in the evening!

My next fav is Auric Blends Amber which is more dilute in comparison but this also lasts all day on my skin. Whilst this is easier to apply, the Amber Paste is viscous and limited to a small area on the skin unless diluted.

To me Amber Paste is very spicy gingery clovey hot fragrance! It smells hot - temparature wise if that makes sense (as well as sexy hot)!

One day my mum used a dab and the man at the grocery shop looked amazed with his eyes wide open as though he smelt something divine and was on cloud 9! I witnessed all this whilst waiting outside in the car. Since then mum is addicted to it and finally understands my perfume obsession lol!!!!

Amber paste on my skin is a concentrated version of Auric Blends Amber on my skin.

Update: 27th July 2012
I am still in love with this beauty!! Smells divine when layered with KM Arabian Sandalwood and also with Samsara.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is the only scent since (no, seriously) Bonne Bell Skin Musk that has had anyone actually snuffling my neck and saying, "YOU SMELL SOOOO GOOOOOD." I've been looking for years for an amber that wouldn't turn all salad dressing on my skin (and, uh, I don't see anyone comparing Amber Paste to the Serge Lutens fragrances but rather stating a preference, so settle right down there) and here it is! I only wear this when I'm going to be around people I want coming in for a closer sniff. Mmmmm.

This is one of-- if not my absolute-- favorite scent. It is certainly the best amber scent I have encountered. It is a combination of sunny warmth on pine boughs and rich earth, curling up with a good book in a brown leather armchair and sweet incense on a home altar, with a pinch of long, black eyelashes knowingly cast downward for good measure. It is dark and rich and although it is sweet, the sweetness is nothing at all like those weird, fruity body sprays that were all the rage in high school. It is a dark, spicy, grown-up sweetness. Amber involves vanilla, but not in a candy-ish way.

Also, I find that the goo doesn't fling the scent into the air as much as an alcohol-based spray does, but creates a touch more sillage than an oil. So, even though amber itself is a pretty heavy fragrance, this rich goo isn't going to bowl folks over as I walk past.

on 5/27/2013 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is a very sweet and resinous scent. Smells mysterious. Every time I wear this, I picture the woods on a fall day and roasting marshmallows near a cozy fire.

This is a very thick oil, so it comes with a little applicator stick instead of the usual roller ball. You only need a couple drops and the scent lasts all day and night. I think this would smell fantastic mixed with vanilla oil or lotion.

Oh! And men love this! Every time I wear this, my husband wants to nuzzle near my neck. And men are always asking me what I am wearing or sniffing the air around me in a puzzled yet pleasant dreamy way. LOL. Funny thing, I never get complimented on my higher end perfumes. This is also such an affordable price considering that you only need a couple drops.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

It's very hot right now, and I can not imagine wearing amber paste. When the leaves begin to change color, and the air smells like crisp coolness and fireplace smoke; I reach for Amber paste. This scent epitomizes autumn! It's sensual, dark, mysterious, rich, and complex. The cold air brings out the best in this scent. The first adjective that pops into my head when I think of Kuumba Made Amber Paste is "Sexy!" In warmer weather, I think this scent would be too heavy. My advice - try this as a fall or winter scent. A little dab is all that you need and it really seems to have excellent sillage.

on 7/16/2009 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

holy grail of ambers indeed!! positively intoxicating. pure, mystical, magical tree sap... only the tiniest dab and you'll be smelling divine for 36 hours. serious stuff... this smells as good as any Serge Lutens i can think of. and yet it's <$10? Whole Foods' best kept secret.

update: just had to add this quote from another review on the internet since it sums up how i feel about this so well:

"For a lovely not-really-dupe, $7.99 will buy you, at Whole Foods, Kuumba Made Amber Paste, which will make you drop dead in your tracks and see God."

(courtesy of "chayaruchama" on aromascope.com)

on 1/23/2009 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a thick, gluey syrup that goes on sticky and smells unbelievable, like raw hunks of perfumer's amber. It is rich, sweet, and heavy, like some impossibly delicious dessert that you can only eat a bite of before it's decadence overload. It has a lot of throw for an oil, or, er... paste, and lasts through a work day. Sinful and dreamy.

Popular Fragrances