Kuumba Made Amber Paste

Price: $

Price: $

labdanum resin

on 12/3/2016 8:44:00 PM

I can't get enough of this amber paste!

I put the tiniest dab of the paste on my fingertip, rub it on another finger, and then apply it to my pulse points. This stuff is sticky and STRONG. I've put a bit too much on before and someone said I smelled like a walking incense stick (not the worst thing, but some people aren't into it).

Applied lightly this paste envelops the wearer in a cloud of sweet warmth. It's hard to describe other than that it's very inviting and pleasant. The paste IS sweet, but not overbearingly so. It has a vanillic quality that borders on being foody, but the resinous notes with a hint of patchouli keep it grounded. I've had friends hug me and hold on as they try to get a better sniff. It raises eyebrows in a very good way. Seems to be loved by all and frequently regarded as sexy!

This is my signature and staple. If ever they discontinued it I think I'd empty my bank account buying as many backup bottles as possible!

on 8/20/2010 3:14:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

This is one of the best ambers I have ever smelled--and I've smelled Montales, Ambre Precieux, and other expensive niche scents! Amber Paste is very resinous and sweet, but also dry at the same time. It smells exotic, rooty, and pure. I absolutely love the scent. However, the very thick consistency of the oil/paste completely grosses me out and takes forever to dry on my skin, so I never really use it. If this came in spray form, it would be an HG for sure.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

It's very hot right now, and I can not imagine wearing amber paste. When the leaves begin to change color, and the air smells like crisp coolness and fireplace smoke; I reach for Amber paste. This scent epitomizes autumn! It's sensual, dark, mysterious, rich, and complex. The cold air brings out the best in this scent. The first adjective that pops into my head when I think of Kuumba Made Amber Paste is "Sexy!" In warmer weather, I think this scent would be too heavy. My advice - try this as a fall or winter scent. A little dab is all that you need and it really seems to have excellent sillage.

on 1/25/2010 3:30:00 AM

This is deep rich and resiny, with a piney undertone. It could be sexy on the right person in the right circumstance but it's not me.

on 7/16/2009 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

holy grail of ambers indeed!! positively intoxicating. pure, mystical, magical tree sap... only the tiniest dab and you'll be smelling divine for 36 hours. serious stuff... this smells as good as any Serge Lutens i can think of. and yet it's <$10? Whole Foods' best kept secret.

update: just had to add this quote from another review on the internet since it sums up how i feel about this so well:

"For a lovely not-really-dupe, $7.99 will buy you, at Whole Foods, Kuumba Made Amber Paste, which will make you drop dead in your tracks and see God."

(courtesy of "chayaruchama" on aromascope.com)

This is one of-- if not my absolute-- favorite scent. It is certainly the best amber scent I have encountered. It is a combination of sunny warmth on pine boughs and rich earth, curling up with a good book in a brown leather armchair and sweet incense on a home altar, with a pinch of long, black eyelashes knowingly cast downward for good measure. It is dark and rich and although it is sweet, the sweetness is nothing at all like those weird, fruity body sprays that were all the rage in high school. It is a dark, spicy, grown-up sweetness. Amber involves vanilla, but not in a candy-ish way.

Also, I find that the goo doesn't fling the scent into the air as much as an alcohol-based spray does, but creates a touch more sillage than an oil. So, even though amber itself is a pretty heavy fragrance, this rich goo isn't going to bowl folks over as I walk past.

on 1/23/2009 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a thick, gluey syrup that goes on sticky and smells unbelievable, like raw hunks of perfumer's amber. It is rich, sweet, and heavy, like some impossibly delicious dessert that you can only eat a bite of before it's decadence overload. It has a lot of throw for an oil, or, er... paste, and lasts through a work day. Sinful and dreamy.

wow this stuff smells AMAZING!!! this is the only fragrance i wear anymore... on me it almost turns to a warm vanilla/amber ...i get compliments on it all the time yet it's not overbearing....awesome stuff!

on 1/9/2009 1:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I actually didn't, and wouldn't, purchase this, but only because I don't think it works well on me. I think it's a well done amber and if you are an amber junkie I would suggest it. I think it smelled better in the bottle than on my skin. From the bottle it was warm and almost caramel-y. My skin tends to amplify any woody/spicy notes and ambers tend to give me headaches this way because it feels like the scent is clawing its way up my nostrils even when I'm not actively sniffing near where I applied it.

Anyways, the lasting power of this paste is excellent, 8 hours easily from just a couple dabs.

Popular Fragrances