MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50
MAC Prep + Prime SPF50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I seriously have no clue why it works so amazing for me, but it makes any foundation I use look and last 10x longer. It's the best primer I've ever tried. I have an oily t-zone and this controls the oil and smooths my skin. I just adore it. If you are on the fence about buying it, just go to Mac and ask for a sample =)

Very good sun protection product. Appreciate the fact make up does sit well on it. Does not leave a grease film like many other products with SPF.

on 8/26/2016 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I used to love this primer before the formula changed. I really don't care about the spf, MAC. So, if you are listening, please bring back the original formula-it was AMAZING-matte, soft-looking, pore-concealing, makeup retaining, etc. Also, if any MakeupAlley-ers have a great dupe for the old MAC formula, please message me. I have tried so many different primers, and none hold a candle.

on 6/21/2016 11:34:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I feel I should preface this with normally I am a fan of pretty much all things MAC but this, this was just not good.

I bought this twice in my MAC lifetime. The first time I bought it the product was amazing! It went on like a dream, my foundation sat really well and it lasted forever.

When I was finally out of the package I went to MAC to buy another one, and I'm not sure if they changed the formula or what happened but this new package was legitimately like really runny sunscreen on my face and it was disgusting. I was so upset with myself for buying it.

The original package was amazing but the second was just not, and I emptied it and returned it for the Back 2 MAC program. I was really, really unhappy with it. It made my skin look oily, when normally I don't have oily skin. It left a horrible smell on my skin even with foundation and all other make up on. It just wasn't good at all. It was just really oily and runny on my skin, and it made my foundation run/transfer when normally that doesn't happen to me. I just overall was not happy with the new tube I bought

If you are impressed with this product, though, and will continue buying it here's a tip: when you buy it, ask for about 5 or 6 sample containers. Usually MAC SA's are really nice and they will give them to you. When you get home, put this tube into those containers. You will notice, if you've bought this, that it's hard to get the last bits out due to packaging so what is a life saver for me was that I cut off the top of the tube and used a butter knife, or similar, to scrape it out and put it into the sample jars. This way I actually used all of the product and it last much longer. I would say I got at least another 1/3 by cutting off the top and scraping it into jars. PLUS: it still counts for Back 2 MAC this way, just in case you're wondering.

on 5/29/2016 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The old formula was by far the best primer/oil control product on the market! 12 hours in the Vegas heat, and my makeup was perfectly in place without a ray of sun burn. To my horrid dismay, MAC reformulated it after the new FDA guidelines on sunscreen labeling was released. I even called the MAC company to beseech the return of this item. As a physician, I only wear barrier sunscreen with zinc and titanium; I am unaware if the original product used nano or non nano zinc, but nothing currently on the market can compare to this old prep/primer! I have searched far and wide, purchased countless primers, and emptied bank accounts in search of a substitution! My search continues....

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this a few months ago as a recommendation from the MUA at my local MAC store, and when she used it in combination with their Studio Sculpt foundation, my dry skin looked dewy and revitalised. I bought both products, however over the next month I began to develop a lot of acne on my chin, cheeks and around my nose that I didn't have before. As an experiment for the last two weeks I stopped using Face Protect and my acne has subsided, leading me to believe this was the cause of my breaking out. I'm so disappointed! I have dry skin that I was desperate to fix and it looked as though Face Protect was really helping but the acne was becoming a huge issue (I also get acne when I use heavy night creams EVEN THOUGH I have dry skin).

I do want to recommend this however to people who have dry skin but I think for the price it might not be worth the risk. If you are prone to acne even when you have dry skin, probably don't buy it but otherwise I thought it was a good on the parts of my skin it didn't bother ㅠㅠ I didn't find the texture particularly greasy and it absorbed well, and the high SPF is awesome, but it just isn't for my skin.

Packaging and smell are fine, the price point however is pretty steep for the amount of product at 48,000 KRW in South Korea (or ~$40USD).

on 4/3/2016 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Do not use this primer if you have combination/oily skin. It feels great at first but then within one or two hours it gets so gross and greasy. I love the fact that it has a high SPF, but I think it is designed for dry skin only. I've never tried the old formula but I would not repurchase this.

on 11/11/2015 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I used to LOVE this primer years ago and it was my HG, then they changed the formula. I have absolutely nothing nice to say about the new formula. Avobenzone and oxybenzone will be irritating for most skin types. I have no idea what MAC was thinking changing from a mostly physical ss primer to a chemical one.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have been using this product for a while and it has been fine and was the only primer that really worked for my oily skin.

I recently topped up and realised the consistency was different. When I put it on and checked my face a few hours later in the mirror I was shocked. It was so shiny and looked worse then without the primer. I will not buy this product again and I am angry that I was allowed to buy it without being notified of the changed formula which lead to a drastic change in its performance!!

Extremely disappointed will not buy again!

on 5/9/2015 3:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The old version was great. I was dependant on it as I've got oily skin. The old version helped to keep my oily skin at bay. Yes, it wasn't matte the whole 12 hours but my skin wasn't as oily as my frying pan after an hour kinda thing. The old version : 3 hours where it stays matte. Another 2 hours in, it's very slightly shiny on nose and forehead. I can blot a little at this point. Another 3 hours in you can see the oil control property is gone. I have to blot and touch up my nose and forehead. Cheeks just need blotting. Blusher can still be seen. It's not the best oil control product but it worked.

New version : sucks. If I wanted an oily sunblock, I would have grabbed any drugstore sunblock and used it. I'm currently using the loreal sunblock on my neck coz I was relying on the Mac for my face. The oil control properties at are as good as none! 2 hours in, and my face is oily . Another 2 hours, my make-up looks like I just applied using oily cream based makeup. Whole face felt greasy, looked sooooo shiny. You can heat up my face and fry an egg! That's how oily.!

So I won't be buying anymore of this product. What a waste of money! I'd certainly Like know why the formula is changed. They did so well before!