Buff'd Cosmetics - Original Mineral Foundation

No Image

4.3

Light: mica, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxides, ultramarines Original: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, mica, iron oxides, ultramarines Concealing: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxides, kaolin clay, mica, ultramarines

on 8/22/2016 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Buffd is a Canadian mineral makeup brand, probably one of the few remaining after the mineral makeup craze a few years back. For the most part I really like this makeup, the site had decent looking swatches that are big enough so you can gauge the colour instead of the small smear most indie brands have that you cannot enlarge for a better view.

There is a huge variety of colours especially great for those with yellow tones and darker tones without going into the reds like some darker formulas do. The Original formula is really full coverage. You only need very little to cover any flaws and the finish is very matte. I prefer semi-matte to dewy due to drier skin but I rec this for oily skinned folks.

I like to mix their Canvas powder which is a loose powder dupe for Mary Lou Manizer in my opinion. The Canvas adds a nice glow and tones the super matte look.

They have a Light formula that I like better that is not as heavy but still covers well and concentrated in formula so that is why I'm not purchasing this formula again and staying with Light.

on 8/18/2016 10:02:00 AM

This is the best mineral foundation I have ever used. It doesn't irritate my skin or dry it out. It blends effortlessly and gives nice airbrushed,glowy finish. Shade medium golden is a nice match for my skin because it doesn't have any peach/beige undertone in it like so many other mineral foundations have. Usually I use high end cosmetics but this one is so awesome that I can't live without it. I highly recommend this foundation to anyone with normal to combination skin who likes airbrushed look.

I tried several samples from Buff'd recently and was really quite happy with the results. I've used several other mineral brands in the past but my favourite recently became really difficult & expensive to obtain.

I ordered several sample shades based on the descriptions and swatches on the website. I also ordered a mix of Original and Concealing formulas. Only one of the shades looked obviously wrong for me, so IMO if you know your undertones well and/or have tried other brands, you'll probably be able to figure out your approximate shades in Buff'd.

I tried the Original formula in Biscuit first and it was slightly more yellow than I normally like (I really have extremely neutral undertones; most foundation shades tend to look either very pink or very yellow on me). However, it blended well and covered very well on application - in fact, I found it surprisingly easy to use a little too much. For my skin - in summer, and with sunscreen moisturizer underneath - I found the Original formula too shiny overall. I used a matte powder overtop, but the shine kept coming through and I had to blot and powder so much that I removed most of the foundation by mid-afternoon.

I might try the Original formula again in winter - in addition to the dewier look, I think the glowy quality might make the shade look slightly lighter than the matte Concealing formula does, because the shimmer makes it create its own highlights. It just isn't for me in summer, at all.

Can't rate/comment on packaging since I only received sample bags of this formula.

I've been using this foundation for a couple years now. I tried maybe 5 other mineral makeups (alima, lumiere, etc) which were all nice, but I still felt the need to search for something better, and then I found Buff'd! The original formula really is quite buildable, and even with a sheer layer I feel like it does a nice job of evening out my skintone. I use a lumiere talkon brush that was a knock-off of the flawless face brush. It has soft floppy bristles which I find gives a nice sheer coverage. Something soft like a duo fibre would work as well. If I use a kabuki or flat top it gives a lot more coverage, which I find I don't really need. I will say that it was hard to find a colour match, but they do have a tonne of shades and will custom blend them too.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am a cosmetics addict and i have so many foundations. I have tried it ALL.... And I absolutely love this product!!! I have never really likes mineral foundations because they were too much effort applying layer after layer just to get full coverage and then looking pastey and cakey. This MMU is nothing like that! Just one application gives me very close to full coverage and doesnt look flaky at all!!! I have fairly good skin that is pretty much free from blemishes, but i have terrible scarring from childhood eczema and lots of broken capillaries. This product is fantastic to cover all my issues.I have it in both Beige light and olive light and i can wear both without it looking any different to my natural skin colour, however i like the olive light in summer. Their blush as well is fantastic, but i will put that in another review. If you are thinking of giving it a go, get some samples and go for it. They will last you FOREVER!! Plus they are an inexpensive way of finding your shade! Definitely recommended this to all my friends. I hope you love this product as much as i do!

only con i can think of is that it needs a lid that closes or a sifter that closes like Bare Minerals so that the product doesnt come out during travel..

on 6/12/2012 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love this! I have been using it for close to five whole years now. Usually nothing lasts me that long because my skin will outsmart it somehow.

I have oily, fair skin and do not like to pile on a lot of makeup because it will get pasty. This product, however, lasts quite long especially with a primer. The coverage is fantastic and easily customized. It is also a very sanitary application and the jar lasts a long time (like a year and a half if worn daily).

Warning, though! If your skin is particularly dry that day, dry makeup of course can make it look worse. What I do in that case is mix it with moisturizer or sunscreen, and apply it that way.It blends flawlessly into a cream and covers just as well. :)

on 12/30/2010 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

After trying at least ten brands of MMU (in addition to the over 25 I had already tried over the years BEFORE I found my former and now defunct HG mineral foundation - Earthen Glow), I think I have FINALLY found something to replace it.

I thought that Milan Minerals was it, but after wearing it a few times, it was too cakey on me after a short while even though after some mixing I got a great match and it looks really pretty going on. It turned out to be really heavy for me. Don't get it twisted, I LOVE full coverage but not heavy look and feel. It might work better for someone with drier skin than mine where the oils don't make it look caked on.

Buff'd, on the other hand, is REALLY CREAMY for a powder, which I LOVE and gives FULL but NATURAL coverage with just a little bit of product and has crazy staying power while looking glowy AND natural on my oily, acne prone, sensitive, hard to match, multi-ethnic skin with surface dehydration! A foundation that works for me with all of that going will work for ANYONE!

I even tried it during a long show in where I spent half the night sweating and had already had it on all day prior to the event. It stayed and still looked good...I'm sold!

I hate that I spent over $100 in samples trying to find a suitable replacement for my beloved Earthen Glow Minerals, and I'm not thrilled that I have to now pay for expensive shipping from Canada and wait an extra week to get my makeup...BUT, thanks to a reviewer below, who also loved EG and found Buff'd comaprable to it, I took the plunge on one more and I am SO glad I did... I even found an amazing color match - they got the undertone of the Golden Series EXACTLY right - I don't have to mix (although I'm picky and probably will use other colors on certain parts of my face anyway...especially to perform - contouring and such). But for everyday use, I can just put this on, look natural and beautiful, know it's not going anywhere and keep moving!

I'm off to order several full size jars (I got several applications out of the samples, they even sent me double the amount of samples I ordered for free so I could be sure I found a color match! - I ordered all Goldens - they also sent me Warms in the same depths complimentary - that's rocking customer service!).

This might just be my new HG!!!

I am just totally confused by that last review :/ But I DO recommend that you order lots of samples- it took me a few tries before I found the perfect color because they have about a zillion choices!
Color match: I've got red-headed coloring, that annoying hard-to-match-peachy color, and I finally found my match in the "Beige" colors (custom mix between pale and fair). I usually have to settle for "warm" in other mmus, and the match is never *quite* right, so I'm very happy with Buff'd. Oh, and btw- "Pale" is REALLY pale! If you're a PPP, order a Pale and a Fair sample-- trust me XD
Coverage: I only use the "Light" formulation ("...a lightweight foundation that still offers buildable coverage and great oil absorption"), so that's what I'm reviewing. For comparison-- even though it's "Light," this stuff STILL covers better than Everyday Minerals (ugh, I am so over them), and it lasts longer, too! I've been using it for several months now, and it doesn't break me out or irritate my skin. Oil-control is pretty good, even for the "light" formula, but you'll still want to use a good primer if you're super-oily like I am.
Price: It looks a little pricey, but you get a ton of product (more than EDM for its price), and you don't have to use much of it. Annnnd they have 20% off sales a few times a year so you can stock up.
Shipping: Very reasonably priced, and FAST, too! I was surprised- from British Columbia to Georgia, USA has never been more than a week (and that includes processing time).
Honestly, my only real gripe is that the containers are a little plain; I dunno, is that dumb to gripe about? Boo hoo hoo, I want a fancier container? Lawlz. But it does the job, it's durable, and you can stick a cotton ball on top of the sifter for traveling and it works like a an absolute charm!
Bottom line: I would buy Buff'd Minerals a million times over, I love them so much!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

My experience with this foundation is completely disastrous! I bought a few samples of this and none of them are right! Antique and some others I cant remember the names are so yellow you look like a corpse (yes even more yellow than Mac's SFF nc30/25), and from the olive family OMG! disaster really isnt the word, it finished like a had a load of mud marks on my face (and this was not correctable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so i was rushing for work because I to redo my face with another mmu). The reason for this is obviously the foundation is a b"*ch to try to blend (even with a flat top brush!). Really I dont give such bad reviews for products, but it really was wrong on me... If anyone has any suggestions for me all are welcome. Im not new to mmu so Im putting it down to bad quality makeup that is going in the bin.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

wanted to really love this mmu since most of the reviews are positive. bought quite a few samples, and although i did find a color match, the consistency just isn't for me. it is quite cakey when you apply it even if you buff it out really well and i could tell i had make up on. the thing i disliked even more is that it made my face itch. i do like that they have such a wide array of colors though. glad that it works well for others, just not for me.