Vincent Longo Lip Cheek Gel Stain in My Sunshine

No Image

4.6

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Packaging: The packaging of this product is one of the main reasons I purchased this product. I have tried a few lipstains and all of them were so messy and difficult to apply. Lorac's has a rollerball and it was messy and leaky and a nightmare to apply. Benetint is in a bottle with a brush in the cap a la nail polish and it was difficult to get a precise application with it, and application is crucial to me in a stain. VL lipstains come in a tube similar to lipgloss so it's travel friendly, fairly leak resistant, and easy to apply with the doe-foot applicator.

Texture: This is a watery gel stain, and coupled with the doe-foot wand, it makes for really fool-proof application

Color: My Sunshine is a warm sheer brick red and is like a warm girl's MLBB type stain, but it can be built up to be quite dramatic. It's a very wearable shade for me, as i'm definitely on the warm side of neutral. This looks amazing with a little bronzer on your face. It looks especially good with Bonne Bell's Gel Bronzer in Golden Tan which has a bit of a red cast (makes a really believable sunkissed look with a little of the red sunburn you get on the tops of your cheeks and the top of your forehead and nose). I have not tried this as a cheek color, and I don't plan to as i'm not skilled with stains in that way, i always look blotchy and it really irritates me, lol.

Wear: This wears for about 4 hours for me if I am not eating, but it doesn't last through dinner for me. I need to try applying some powder before applying to get rid of any oil on my lips and that will probably help. This product is chock full of alcohol so it can be drying. You can wear a balm or gloss on top to moisten your lips and to create a little shine, but that will speed up the wearing off process. I like to apply the slightest bit of Korres Lip Butter or a MAC TLC on top for a light shine and moisture enhancer.

Price: USD$22.50 is pretty reasonable in my opinion for the amount you get, (.25 oz) and for the packaging and the unique color. I won't go through this very fast I don't think. TheBalm Stainiac is only $14, but i *think* there is less product. That product is a gel also but a little more thick, less liquidy, but there is no color in that range similar to My Sunshine. Lorac's stain is $19 for around the same amount as the VL but I will never buy that again as it is impossible to apply and very leaky and messy. If Lorac ever changes the packaging I would rebuy Sheer Luck again in a heartbeat.

My coloring is NC25(winter)-NC30(summer), Stila 20 Watts, dark brown hair, green eyes.

Overall: I would definitely purchase this product again because the color suits me very well and really helps me to define my un-pigmented and uneven lips and really bring them to the forefront of my look. I would like to try another shade in addition actually.

continued >>

on 8/9/2010 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This is one of the best stains out there. I first bought this about three years ago. It goes on like a neutral red. The color is gorgeous. It has lovely lasting power and never dried out my lips. I love the packaging. It's uncomplicated and the black touches look very stylish, very New York. It reminds me of Bobbi Brown's Ruby Sheer and Face Stockholm's Cranberry Veil. It's like a blend of those two lipsticks in stain form. I'm so saddened this line was taken out of Sephora. In the last year my fave products have either been discontinued or increasingly hard to find. This is a stain I'm willing to track down as long as possible.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is a limited edition shade only available at Sephora (for now). I already owned Liquid Kiss, so I knew that these stains last longer than most. My sunshine is a more neutral YLBB whereas Liquid Kiss was bright bitten red on my lips. My sunshine imparts a natural "bite" to your lipcolor without being too bright. I top it off with gloss. Lasts most of the day. I hope they add this to their permanent collection.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Would I buy this again? Yes, Yes, Yes...Yes! I love this lip stain so much. It's definitely my HG lip color. My Sunshine was the first color I bought and it's PERFECT! It's a warmer red that just looks beautiful with my skin tone. The doe foot applicator is super easy to use and applies like a dream. This never dries out my lips or look like I painted my mouth with a marker (I'm looking at you, Cover Girl). It's not watery either, like Benetint or The Body Shop Lip and Cheek Stain. Those wear off on me and look like I have pink liner around my lips later in the day. I just love this with all of my heart. I've yet to branch out to other colors, as I love My Sunshine so much, but I think I may have to try some more. They are pricey, but I literally use this everyday, so it's worth it to me! I highly recommend this!

I am sad that Sephora no longer carries the Vincent Longo line. I now buy mine from the Beauty 360 site on CVS.com. I always find a coupon code too!

on 8/23/2010 12:55:00 PM

I havent used many gel stains so I can't compare but I do know that I wish all lip stains were so easy to use!! most long lasting lip stains really dry out my lips and if I put a gloss or chapstick on top it just looks like I have way too much going on on my lips. But this gel stain isn't drying at all! It just delivers really natural looking, very gradually building lip color! It looks like I just ate a cherry popsicle... Hopefully this will last me a long time because at the price I don't wanna have to repurchase too soon ;)

UPDATE: I've had this for about two years now and am on my last third of it. This is quite impressive because for the first year I literally used a swipe of it everyday to make me look more awake and healthy. I wish it came in better variety of colors! Out of all my lip products this is definitely the best one for staying power and texture and it doesn't make my lips look all wrinklely

on 3/7/2009 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After purchasing two other VL lip stains (liquid kiss and angels's touch) I decided to go for a warmer tone as they usually suit me better (nc15 with mac as a reference)

My sunshine is my favourite of the three. It wakens up my face in a subtle way, draws attention to my lips, and adds a wonderful true red note to them.

Wears really well. The doe-foot applicator (that I usually hate) is perfect for a watery product like this.

I am so glad I found this on MUA. I have been looking for a lip stain and found this. I went to Sephora and got My Sunshine, the shade that fit me the best. It's a very natural red that really flatters me. Like what the other readers said, it can be built up to be very dramatic. My lips stand out so much with this and my entire face looks much more alive and energized. My lips look so naturally stained that it doesn't seem like anything is on it. The staying power is quite good too. I use it when I go out/nighttime stuff and it slowly fades, but it's much better than what you would get from a lipstick/gloss. I cannot rave enough about this! Definite HG!!!

on 1/2/2008 12:11:00 PM

I am so glad I finally bought this product. I have always loved the idea of a stain, as my lips and cheeks generally don't have much color to them. I've tried Benetint, Sonia Kashuk's version of Benetint, Sheer Bliss (which is essentially the same as the Benetint, just cheaper), and Tarte's Rise and Shine Plumping lip stain in Cherry. I don't know why I continued to buy these - they're all pretty much the same cool purply-pink, which really doesn't work that well on me. I'm still not quite sure if I'm "cool" or "warm," but I'm pretty sure that these cool fuschia stains are not ideal on me. (I was also disappointed by the benetint's and sonia kashuk's staying power - they swipe right off if you take a water-moistened tissue to them. kind of ridiculous for a "stain." The tarte at least stays around for awhile.)
I had considered Vincent Longo's stains for awhile, as there were so many colors in the line, but I chickened out on actually buying one until I got a 25 dollar gift certificate for xmas. I pounced right on My Sunshine and brought it home - and I have to say, the color is PERFECT. Not orangey or overly peachy, just a warm pinky-red that is ridiculously flattering. And it really does last on my lips, which is huge.
My only problem is getting it on evenly on my cheeks - I'm sure it takes practice, but its gets a little streaky on me, even though I have smooth, slightly oily skin. I'm thinking that my Aveeno moisturizer with sunscreen affects my blending abilities. When I blend too rigorously at a streak, it kind of pills off with what i'm guessing is residue from my moisturizer. Ugh.
I'm thinking that if I just stick to getting it on my apples somewhat evenly, I'll eventually get it with practice? If anyone has tips for me, let me know.

on 11/9/2007 1:26:00 AM

This is my favorite of all of Longo's cheek/lip stains, by far. (I have all of them and they're all great, this is def. my fave brand for stain.) It's a warm, but not too orangey red that can look very natural if applied lightly, or dramatic with a heavier application. I have tried lots of different stains (lorac, eyeko, sephora, urban decay...) but have never come across a shade like this one. Very flattering.

on 10/18/2007 9:20:00 PM

Product - Gel stain for lips and cheeks in a sheer warm-toned red - not too dark, not too orange, some might call this an even mix of orange and red. Wears like a sheer natural red on my AAB/NC25 skin. The texture is a thin gel - not runny but barely holds together as a gel, so it's relatively easy to work with. Application as blush is not a problem unless you don't like using your fingertips. Sets pretty quickly though, so practice a few times to get the hang of it. I put three dots on the apple of each cheek then blend out with my fingertips; I wash my hands quickly thereafter. The color is sheer enough to work for most and can look fairly natural unless you overapply; stains cheeks very nicely. Awesome color on my lips as well. Can be applied directly to lips, but for even coverage I put a dot on my bottom lip, rub my lips together, then smooth out with a fingertip; for deeper color, repeat. Not drying to the lips and the staying power is quite good, especially if topped with gloss. As with most liquid-y gel stains, your lips and skin should be in good condition, or properly exfoliated and moisturized first. This shade is listed on Sephora.com as "Only at Sephora" but it is also available through Beauty.com.

Packaging - Dark translucent bottle with black plastic lid. Lid houses a doe foot applicator wand. You can see the air bubble or level of product in the tube, but not really the shade inside, unless you check the label.

Overall - Great multi-purpose product. Requires careful application but then it lasts and lasts. continued >>