Clinique Sheer City Block SPF 25

Clinique Sheer City Block SPF 25
No TitleSheer City Block SPF 25

3.7

Ingredients: Active: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%), Zinc Oxide (6.9%), Other: Water, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Steareth-2, Stearyl Heptanoate, Aluminum Stearate, Silica, Lecithin, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Betula Alba (Birch) Bark Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sorbitan Tristearate, Linoleic Acid, Polyquaternium-51, Caprylyl Methicone, Sorbitol, Sodium Rna, Phospholipids, Peg-40 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytantriol, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Cellulose, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Pantethine, Bisabolol, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Ceteth-2, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Steareth-20, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Sodium Stearate, Nylon-12, Citric Acid, Nylon-6, Hexylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Edta, Bht, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is a decent sunscreen, does feel a little think upon application, however doesn't appear oily on my face. But after a couple of hours, my face started to turn oily, so this sunscreen is definitely not for anyone who have oily skin. Other than that, this sunscreen is tinted and leaves a natural finish, and in my opinion would be best for anyone who have dry or normal skin.

on 7/3/2015 11:10:00 PM

I have a really hard time with sunscreens as they always broke me out when I tried to use them on my face. I was hoping this could be a wonderful non-chemical sunscreen that wouldn't break me out. I picked up a tube after all the reviews saying it didn't break people out. But breakouts are very individual, and I found that through repeated attempts/testing that this broke me out. I have very oily, very sensitive skin that is prone to breakouts. This product goes on like a tinted moisturizer, which was fine with me. But I noticed some new breakouts after the 2nd time I wore it, so I started testing it by putting it on only certain sections of my face each day -- only on left side, only on right side, only on forehead (which never breaks out) -- and I found that I always had a new spot on the side of the face wearing the product by the end of the day. i didn't test it on my chin because I often break out there regardless of what I do there, including preventative stuff! Now I'm trying to finish it up by using it around my eyes (eyelids and undereyes) before it expires. So far, it is not breaking me out around my eyes. Two other sunscreens I have found to not break me out that I'm currently using are: Amore Pacific Natural Protector spf30 and Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream for face/body spf 40 water resistant.

To Read all 281 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/5/2015 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I suffer with oily acne prone skin. After having a bad reaction to my sanctuary spa peptide cream with spf 20 that I had been using for over a year I ended up spending a fortune on face creams that contained a spf of 20 or above. I tried about 10 different creams that were oil free and for acne prone skin some were £50!! Nothing seemed to work. I didn't get allergic reactions however they were still far too greasy and caused some huge spots that took weeks to clear up. I decided to try clinique city block sheer in spf 25 as I had used a clinique moisturiser many years ago and didn't remember having any issues with it. After using this for a few days my spots cleared and I had no reaction what so ever. A month later and I'm still using this and will continue to do so. On the slightly negative side I find if I use too much my face is left feeling greasy and my clinique almost powder foundation doesn't last as long. This does have a tint to it but as I'm fair skinned this really isn't an issue. The tint is nowhere near enough to cover my very uneven skin tone (brown patches and red thread veins) but for someone with better skin than me they may find this enough coverage without having to use a powder or foundation.
All in all this suits my skin very well.

It's hard to give a product that I used to love such a low rating. :( However, I do believe that the formula has changed over the years. Now, the product is really greasy. I remember wearing this before I had dry skin, and I never had a problem with oiliness throughout the day. Now, my face looks super shiny even with a thin layer. The tint is kind of unflattering. . .a yellowy-beige color that I think would better suit lighter olive complexions. By midday, it leaves my face looking pretty gaunt. It also pills with heavier application, and you can forget about applying powder over it. The packaging is sleek and lightweight, but it's very difficult to get the last few applications out of the tube. I bought this for $18 at Sephora, but I wouldn't repurchase it. Not unless they're willing to bring the old formula back! I will finish the tube by applying it to my arms and legs. I actually like using it for this, since it gives a nice, glow-y look. But on my face?Forget it! My new favorite sunscreen combination is the Clinique moisture surge combined with Neutrogena's fluid sunscreen in SPF 50.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other

Been wearing this daily for a couple of years now at least. Non-irritating moisturizer with decent enough sunscreen for where I live (Pacific Northwest). Wears well under makeup. My only complaint is that it is somewhat too shiny for my already oily/combo skin. Nevertheless, I keep buying it because it works, wears well, and does not irritate my skin.

on 3/10/2015 10:12:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I use this product daily as a moisturiser and have done for 8-9 months now. It has a mattifying effect that lasts, helps somewhat with dry patches or flaky skin and leaves my skin feeling wonderfully soft. I even think it's had a modest impact on my spots (which I think could be from the zinc content). It's got a tint to it, but this doesn't show up at all on my skin (not sure what it would look like on those with dark or even very light coloured skin) but rather leaves my skin looking even.

Despite what the clinique sales reps might tell you, this product has moisturising ingredients in it, and will be work just fine as a regular moisturiser for everyone apart from those with very dry skin types. I don't need anything else on my combination skin.

All in all, a very good but not perfect product, mainly because it's a bit pricey and the product can be 'separated' when you first open it (but this only lasts for the first few applications and/or until you've given it a vigorous shake!). But I have bought two tubes, and plan to buy another - unless of course I come across another broad spectrum physical sunscreen + moisturiser that's cheaper!

HG!!! I don't know if I've ever had a HG before so I'm excited. I'm reviewing the SPF 25 City Block with physical sunblock, tinted. I have pale, yellow undertone skin. I barely notice the colour in this. As other reviewers noted, it is well described as a BB-cream. After applying, it takes under a minute to "set". It makes my skin SO soft that I have to consciously stop touching my face. My powder mineral makeup is lasting much, much longer. My skin used to be combo-oil but is changing to dry-combo; the matte finish of this absorbs any greasies I get. Best of all, this sunscreen does not break me out- everything makes me break out. As for moisturizing properties, I like to pat on a few drops of rosehip oil before applying or a thin layer of light moisturizer first.
I love that this sunblock has antioxidants in it too, bonus! If you purchase, beware that not all products in the City Block line are physical sunscreen, some are chemical, so ask the SA carefully if this is important for you.

on 12/9/2014 9:59:00 PM

I was tossing up between a 2 or a 3 for this one. It's not a bad product but it didn't suit my skin type and needs.

YOU WILL LIKE THIS IF:

- you're very fair to fair
- you don't suffer from dry or dehydrated skin and
- you like your base products to have yellow undertones - then this may work for you!

It feels a little greasy when first applied but it DRIES (taking my skin's moisture with it!) and goes very matte. This was so drying on my skin (not initially, the dryness became obvious an hour or so later) even with moisturiser underneath. Although I'm an NC15, I didn't like the yellow base as it kinda made me look very slightly sick. Overall, the parched slightly yellow look didn't do much for me.

on 11/25/2014 8:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is actually good. I remember I tried it once before, about 15 years ago, and back then it clogged up my face bigtime. But I guess either my skin changed or the formulation changed, because I have been using it now for a week and not a zit in sight. Just clear, radiant skin with a little sheen and no shine.

I was looking for something to replace my favourite Estée Lauder DayWear Lotion SPF15. That stuff is really nice, not very oily, thin, easy to spread etc. I had used it for a few years and it was the only thing I had found so far with an SPF that didn't break me out, but after a few years it started bugging me that I needed to touch up with powder quite a bit to keep my face from turning into an oil slick.

Although I had had bad experiences with Clinique before, I read the reviews on this from people with oily and acne prone skin and it got very high ratings, so I thought I'd give it another shot. It's thicker than my DayWear Lotion and it looks like foundation! But the colour doesn't show up on my face, it's actually transparent (as the name 'sheer' suggests). It also spreads pretty easily even though it seems quite thick when you first see it. It feels like it sinks in, even though I read it's a physical sunblock... But none of that sticky sunscreen feel that stays on your face and feels like you want to wipe it off. I barely need any makeup with this so that's a big bonus.

With DayWear I had to reapply some powder around my nose and forehead a few times a day. With this stuff I can get away with not reapplying at all! I saw a pic of myself where I went out to a restaurant and then a bar with colleagues, the photo had been taken around midnight and there was no shine, just a healthy glow. Unbelievable for my skin.

I am happy with this, as long as I don't develop an adverse reaction to it at a later stage I am going to stick with this. My face feels nice and smooth and not dry or greasy.

For people interested in the smell: it doesn't smell perfumy. Maybe a bit nutty or like an ointment or something for the first few seconds, but then: nothing.

on 11/22/2014 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

Great product and wonderful for those who are fair skinned as you can you use this as a foundation if you apply Clinique blended face powder( I use # 8) to set it and it is great for a very natural look. If you need more coverage then this is a great primer for your foundation, I use it under perfectly real and love it!

A plus is for those with Rosacea like me, it is very gentle on your skin and I use Take the Day Off Balm, which removes it very easily and without a trace of sunscreen...