Clinique Sheer City Block SPF 25

Clinique Sheer City Block SPF 25
No TitleSheer City Block SPF 25

3.7

Ingredients: Active: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%), Zinc Oxide (6.9%), Other: Water, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Steareth-2, Stearyl Heptanoate, Aluminum Stearate, Silica, Lecithin, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Betula Alba (Birch) Bark Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sorbitan Tristearate, Linoleic Acid, Polyquaternium-51, Caprylyl Methicone, Sorbitol, Sodium Rna, Phospholipids, Peg-40 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytantriol, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Cellulose, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Pantethine, Bisabolol, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Ceteth-2, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Steareth-20, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Sodium Stearate, Nylon-12, Citric Acid, Nylon-6, Hexylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Edta, Bht, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I like this, but have to be careful what I layer under it otherwise it can look too greasy. It is not heavy or thick or chalky like traditional sunscreens. It feels siliconey, but I've found that if I use an Oil free moisturiser (even one that also contains silicones) I'm good. Anything oily/ heavier and it all starts to slide around by midday. I bought this because I wanted something a little lighter (and cheaper) for days that I'm just indoors. My everyday spf is the EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 with zinc oxide, but it's £30 for 50mls and I seem to get through it so quickly. The Clinique retails for £15 where I am (for 40mls) so I thought I would give it ago. I like the tint but it is very very sheer, and evens out the slight redness across my nose and cheeks at most. If you have acne marks or pigmented areas and want to cover them you will need something heavier. I don't wear liquid foundation so haven't tried to apply over the top of this, but mineral powder foundation works fine. It hasn't broken me out so far, so I will likely repurchase.

on 12/19/2016 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

The Clinique SA recommended this product when I told her I wanted to add a physical sunscreen to my skincare routine. This hydrates fine on its own, but on days when I feel dryer, this layers over my DDMG moisturizer perfectly, leaving a dewy finish that isn't oily or sticky. The light tint also provides a slight glow on days when I don't want to bother with foundation. However, this is light enough to layer under foundation when I want more coverage. I feel like this protects really well without feeling heavy or greasy. I would definitely repurchase. In fact, I just ordered a tube!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is a decent sunscreen, does feel a little think upon application, however doesn't appear oily on my face. But after a couple of hours, my face started to turn oily, so this sunscreen is definitely not for anyone who have oily skin. Other than that, this sunscreen is tinted and leaves a natural finish, and in my opinion would be best for anyone who have dry or normal skin.

on 7/3/2015 11:10:00 PM

I have a really hard time with sunscreens as they always broke me out when I tried to use them on my face. I was hoping this could be a wonderful non-chemical sunscreen that wouldn't break me out. I picked up a tube after all the reviews saying it didn't break people out. But breakouts are very individual, and I found that through repeated attempts/testing that this broke me out. I have very oily, very sensitive skin that is prone to breakouts. This product goes on like a tinted moisturizer, which was fine with me. But I noticed some new breakouts after the 2nd time I wore it, so I started testing it by putting it on only certain sections of my face each day -- only on left side, only on right side, only on forehead (which never breaks out) -- and I found that I always had a new spot on the side of the face wearing the product by the end of the day. i didn't test it on my chin because I often break out there regardless of what I do there, including preventative stuff! Now I'm trying to finish it up by using it around my eyes (eyelids and undereyes) before it expires. So far, it is not breaking me out around my eyes. Two other sunscreens I have found to not break me out that I'm currently using are: Amore Pacific Natural Protector spf30 and Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream for face/body spf 40 water resistant.

on 6/5/2015 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I suffer with oily acne prone skin. After having a bad reaction to my sanctuary spa peptide cream with spf 20 that I had been using for over a year I ended up spending a fortune on face creams that contained a spf of 20 or above. I tried about 10 different creams that were oil free and for acne prone skin some were 50!! Nothing seemed to work. I didn't get allergic reactions however they were still far too greasy and caused some huge spots that took weeks to clear up. I decided to try clinique city block sheer in spf 25 as I had used a clinique moisturiser many years ago and didn't remember having any issues with it. After using this for a few days my spots cleared and I had no reaction what so ever. A month later and I'm still using this and will continue to do so. On the slightly negative side I find if I use too much my face is left feeling greasy and my clinique almost powder foundation doesn't last as long. This does have a tint to it but as I'm fair skinned this really isn't an issue. The tint is nowhere near enough to cover my very uneven skin tone (brown patches and red thread veins) but for someone with better skin than me they may find this enough coverage without having to use a powder or foundation.
All in all this suits my skin very well.

It's hard to give a product that I used to love such a low rating. :( However, I do believe that the formula has changed over the years. Now, the product is really greasy. I remember wearing this before I had dry skin, and I never had a problem with oiliness throughout the day. Now, my face looks super shiny even with a thin layer. The tint is kind of unflattering. . .a yellowy-beige color that I think would better suit lighter olive complexions. By midday, it leaves my face looking pretty gaunt. It also pills with heavier application, and you can forget about applying powder over it. The packaging is sleek and lightweight, but it's very difficult to get the last few applications out of the tube. I bought this for $18 at Sephora, but I wouldn't repurchase it. Not unless they're willing to bring the old formula back! I will finish the tube by applying it to my arms and legs. I actually like using it for this, since it gives a nice, glow-y look. But on my face?Forget it! My new favorite sunscreen combination is the Clinique moisture surge combined with Neutrogena's fluid sunscreen in SPF 50.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other

Been wearing this daily for a couple of years now at least. Non-irritating moisturizer with decent enough sunscreen for where I live (Pacific Northwest). Wears well under makeup. My only complaint is that it is somewhat too shiny for my already oily/combo skin. Nevertheless, I keep buying it because it works, wears well, and does not irritate my skin.

on 3/10/2015 10:12:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I use this product daily as a moisturiser and have done for 8-9 months now. It has a mattifying effect that lasts, helps somewhat with dry patches or flaky skin and leaves my skin feeling wonderfully soft. I even think it's had a modest impact on my spots (which I think could be from the zinc content). It's got a tint to it, but this doesn't show up at all on my skin (not sure what it would look like on those with dark or even very light coloured skin) but rather leaves my skin looking even.

Despite what the clinique sales reps might tell you, this product has moisturising ingredients in it, and will be work just fine as a regular moisturiser for everyone apart from those with very dry skin types. I don't need anything else on my combination skin.

All in all, a very good but not perfect product, mainly because it's a bit pricey and the product can be 'separated' when you first open it (but this only lasts for the first few applications and/or until you've given it a vigorous shake!). But I have bought two tubes, and plan to buy another - unless of course I come across another broad spectrum physical sunscreen + moisturiser that's cheaper!

HG!!! I don't know if I've ever had a HG before so I'm excited. I'm reviewing the SPF 25 City Block with physical sunblock, tinted. I have pale, yellow undertone skin. I barely notice the colour in this. As other reviewers noted, it is well described as a BB-cream. After applying, it takes under a minute to "set". It makes my skin SO soft that I have to consciously stop touching my face. My powder mineral makeup is lasting much, much longer. My skin used to be combo-oil but is changing to dry-combo; the matte finish of this absorbs any greasies I get. Best of all, this sunscreen does not break me out- everything makes me break out. As for moisturizing properties, I like to pat on a few drops of rosehip oil before applying or a thin layer of light moisturizer first.
I love that this sunblock has antioxidants in it too, bonus! If you purchase, beware that not all products in the City Block line are physical sunscreen, some are chemical, so ask the SA carefully if this is important for you.

on 12/9/2014 9:59:00 PM

I was tossing up between a 2 or a 3 for this one. It's not a bad product but it didn't suit my skin type and needs.

YOU WILL LIKE THIS IF:

- you're very fair to fair
- you don't suffer from dry or dehydrated skin and
- you like your base products to have yellow undertones - then this may work for you!

It feels a little greasy when first applied but it DRIES (taking my skin's moisture with it!) and goes very matte. This was so drying on my skin (not initially, the dryness became obvious an hour or so later) even with moisturiser underneath. Although I'm an NC15, I didn't like the yellow base as it kinda made me look very slightly sick. Overall, the parched slightly yellow look didn't do much for me.