Coty David Beckham - Instinct

Coty David Beckham - Instinct

4.4

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

Instinct opens with a tart and refreshing blend of grapefruit and bergamot, that is slightly heated and sweetened with some cardamom. The cardamom is longwearing, and it helps the fragrance quickly shift into a spicy warmth of star anise, nutmeg, patchouli, woodsy notes and amber. For me the strongest scent note smells like cinnamon, and this note over took the other spices and lingering fruity/floral mix - I'm not even sure what floral notes have been used, there's just a hint of something fresh and 'greeny' lurking behind the spices.

The heated spicy notes stay strong though the base notes as they develop too, so I could only get a hint of cedar and amber, along with the listed sandalwood. This is another plus for me as the patchouli note is largely hidden on me; it is definitely here, but isn't as heavy as I usually find it to be.

Official scent notes: grapefruit zest, bergamot, cardamom, nutmeg, star anise, sandalwood, patchouli and amber.

As well as finding Instinct to be a neck-nuzzler on men, I'd say the fragrance is more unisex and have been using it as it's usually sat in the bathroom cabinet, so I think that ladies who like spicier fragrances with a lively personality and energy will also enjoy this. My only complaint is as a mass-market edt, the longevity and sillage is nothing amazing [around five hours], so I wouldn't pay the full RRP for a bottle. However with the huge price cuts here I don't mind having to top up my fragrance a few times a day, and reccomend checking Instinct out - a great stocking stuffer at this price.

on 1/15/2014 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

My boyfriend has just recently gotten back into wearing fragrance and this was his first attempt (2nd was Fahrenheit at my request). For a drugstore mens cologne, I think it's great! It actually smells higher end as well as not too overpowering. I wish there was another cologne I could compare it too. His teenage son also likes it a lot too. I like that it also seems to mix well with his natural scent. A nice subtle cologne.

on 10/31/2007 12:07:00 PM

Cheap generic aftershave smell. And they stole the bottle design from gucci!!

on 6/3/2008 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My husband wears Chanel Egoiste Patinum normally. This cologne smells very nice for the summer. Clean, fresh and subtle. Nice quality from a drugstore. It is more sophisticated that expected. We were comparing it with Brit for Men which we liked also. Brit was crisper and lasts longer . Instinct is worth trying.I love the top notes of orange, mandarin and Italian Bergamot. The middle notes are cardamom, pimento and star anise.

I looooooove this smell. It is so sexy, it really smells like a much more expensive cologne. This was on sale for 19.99 Canadian, so I snatched it up and smelt it later. The bottle is nice too, very masculine.

on 4/7/2008 3:12:00 PM

I think this is a really nice men's scent for the price. I bought it for my husband as a joke, as he is a huge football fan and I am a huge David Beckham fan lol. Anyway, it was just for a laugh but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how nice this smells. Very masculine, and yes it's a drug store cologne, but I still think it's sexy! I was similarly impressed with Victoria's fragrance. Bottom line, don't pass this up just because it sells at CVS. Try it, for the price it can't be beat, and for the record I think it smells more expensive than it is!

on 6/8/2007 5:31:00 PM

This is the only cologne my husband will wear. It's nice and light but still masculine, not too overpowering. I bought it as a gift for him for Valentine's Day - he's a huge LA Galaxy fan and thought it was pretty funny. It's a good thing we both like the scent and it's one of the few that don't give him a headache! I'm a sucker for bergamot so I'm not surprised that it's one of the topnotes.

on 4/23/2007 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I tried the tester at my local CVS and loved it, but the fragrance was sold out, so I asked for the tester (98% full!) and got it for $10. It's a great scent, and I don't care if it's for men--I wear it and get compliments on it. I looked it up on the Internet to find out what the scent is made up of and this is what I found: "orange, mandarin and Italian Bergamot, with the middle notes of cardamom, pimento and star anise. Finishing off with vetiver, white amber and patchouli." It's great and I'd buy it again, full price. Really nice.

Popular Fragrances