Laura Mercier Cake Eyeliner in all shades

4.3

on 7/22/2017 6:45:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Eyes: Violet

Fantastic product. Reminds me of a Chinese ink stone. Stays on all day and washes easily off at night. I have it in Bleu Marine, but now I want another!

on 1/4/2017 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is my favorite tightlining product. I have monolids whose skin is folded in such it's very easy for any makeup in the area right next to my upper lash line to rub off. :( I use this product with Etude House's eye primer and it lasts for most of the day.

Sometimes by mid-day some of it comes off, but I think it's more so because my eye shape is really difficult, rather than the product being bad. Luckily, that area of my eye also isn't very visible unless i angle my eyes in a certain way and realllyyyy look at it, so for all practical purposes this works well for the entire day for me (as far as anyone else can tell :P)

This product also lasts FOREVER. I bought this back in May 2015 (1.5 years ago) and have still only used about 1/4 of the product. Even though it's pricey on first glance, this has lasted much, much longer than other non-cake eyeliners I've used, so in terms of price, I'd actually say it's a steal

Pros:
Easy to remove
Doesn't irritate sensitive eyes
Pigmented
Good packaging

Cons:
Limited color choices
Expensive

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I fell in love with this the first time I used it. Unless I am very rushed and don't have time to apply makeup with a brush, this is my daily liner in a Black Ebony. I love the ability to make it as wet or dry as I want for application.

on 10/9/2014 2:36:00 AM

amazing eyeliner. i prefer this over pencil eyeliners because I find it hard to control the intensity of the line with a pencil. I don't use the activator, just water, and it still lasts a long time. I've had mine for over 3 months now, and i've barely made a dent in it!

MY HG eyeliner. You don't need the activator, you can use water. It is so much easier to apply than gel based eyeliners and I find that it lasts longer. Love it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm super surprised at how much I hate this product. I would give it zero lippies if I could. It might be one of the worst products I've tried all year. I bought the black cake. I tight-lined with this and the results were beautiful for about one hour. After that, the fallout was horrible. I honestly looked like a panda after about 2 hours of using this (mind you I only put this on my upper lash line). Back it goes.

on 9/21/2013 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

These things are just fantastic. I own SIX different shades, I got one of those 6 slot custom palettes from this line to hold them all in. Custom palettes are only 10 bucks in the 3 pan or 6 pan size, and can also hold other LM products like blusher and eyeshadow. I think the cake eyeliners are pretty reasonably priced for a department store product, and since you really only need a tiny bit to line your eyes, they will last a long time.

These are cake eyeliners designed for tightlining. I find that tightlining only makes a big difference on my eyes if I curl my lashes, something I rarely do since they are so long that when curled they touch skin and leave little mascara marks. I mostly use this product as a standard liner on my upper lash line. I bought the LM flat tightlining brush when I got my first one of these, but I'm not a big fan of the brush. I think it is too big for tightlining - the brush head is too wide and the handle is too long. I use a small angled liner brush instead.

The formula is really great. I get my brush wet with water and work it into the cake until I have a fluid ink consistency on the brush. I just tap the brush against my lash line, gradually building up the line until I am happy with it. It gives a finished line like a liquid liner but I find it much easier to work with than even the fine point pen type liquid liners. The cake dries quickly and can go right back in the makeup bag, no mess. I don't use the activator as the makeup artist who originally put this on me said it works fine with just water and you only need the activator if you need it to be super waterproof. It stays put on me just fine using plain water.

The six colors I have are mahogany brown, dark teal, charcoal grey, forest green, plum riche, and a color called violet asphalt which was part of some Nordstrom's anniversary promotion. My favorites are the teal and the green, very true to pan color when applied, and great consistency. The plum seems to apply a little lighter than it appears in the pan. The charcoal grey is more of a dove grey with a hint of gunmetal - it is slightly bluish and is lighter than what I consider charcoal - great for bringing out the blue in eyes. Mahogany brown is lovely medium brown on the lids, but for some reason some of the pigment seems to separate into an orangey film as the cake starts to dry. Not a big deal, you just have to remix it if you are still applying. Still I think I'd have rather have had the deeper espresso shade. My least favorite is actually the first one I got - the violet asphalt, a deep purplish blue. It is is the only one that has some shimmer in it, and has a thicker consistency than the others. Looks fantastic on the eyes, though, and the shimmer is very subtle and stays put even when using to tightline.

on 3/11/2013 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hands down, this is my favorite piece of makeup I own! It makes my eyes stand out and I instantly look like I have twice as many lashes. When I'm in a hurry or don't feel like doing make up, I just pop on a little of this tightliner and some mascara and I feel beautiful.

Some things I've found about it:
It does not smudge as long as you are applying it correctly. This is supposed to be used at the base of the eylashes, not the waterline. If you put it on your waterline, it will transfer to your lower waterline. (I once did this by mistake when I was in a hurry. Oops!) There are lots of good tutorials on youtube for how to apply it.

I use water, not the activator, and like I said it does not smudge. And I work long, 11 hour shifts. It looks as good when I get home as it did when I left.

Getting the right ratio of water will make application easier. I use the Laura Mercier brush with it, dip it in water, quickly and gently blot a tissue, and usually that is the right amount of water. The more you use it the quicker you'll get at finding the right consistency. I can now mix and put on flatliner in under a minute.

It will last a looooooong time. I felt RIDICULOUS for spending this much money on an eyeliner, especially since I have a ton of them laying around. But none of my eyeliners tightlined and stayed in place very well, so I begrudgingly paid for this. Man do I not regret it. Not only is it awesome, but I use it all the time and it looks like I've barely touched it.

The colors go on dark. I have a set of three colors: turquoise, bleu marine, and a gray color... the turquoise is of course the brightest one but is still dark. The bleu marine and gray look like a soft black once applied. Perhaps you could make it more watery if you want it to look brighter? I personally love the darker look. I would have gotten black ebony but I felt the set of 3 was a better value. continued >>

Great for tightlining.