Juliette has a Gun Lady Vengeance

Juliette has a Gun Lady Vengeance

on 2/7/2016 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a very generic scent to me and perhaps a bit too geriatric. Somewhat sophisticated, dark and intense.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

From Sephora, I got the limited edition sampler that contains all eight fragrances from the niche French perfume house Juliette has a Gun. As an avid lover of all fragrances rose (the range has many if not mostly rose-featured scents) and all fragrances avant garde, I have been dying to try anything from this house, and this is really the only even reasonably affordable way to do it. $15 for 8 generous spray samples of these otherwise very costly scents. I plan to go through them all and write reviews on each one.

Lady Vengeance is a classic Bulgarian Rose, Vanilla, Patchouli blend. If you were/are a fan of Givenchy's Very Irresistible, you will likely really enjoy this, as that fragrance is a rose patchouli. That fragrance also had powdery violets and lily in in though, which made the fragrance almost too prickly, sneeze-inducing, and strong, so I appreciate the more restrained refinement of lady vengeance.

As a personality goes, I feel this fragrance is a "woman" who never misses a beat who is calculated and controlled, not overtly sensuous, but has a Snow Queen's element of icy intrigue, you are intimidated by her in the boardroom, mesmerized by her in a dinner date and in the bedroom, staring after her at the party, wishing but only willing to get close on a dare as you might disturb the lady's moonlit peace. It is a lovely, sweet, and romantic perfume, but every rose as its thorn and every romance its darkness and light its shade. That is the notion Lady Vengeance puts me through, The rose though dark is not overly smoky or illicit. It is calm and cold, steady here. The patchouli adds some earthiness with no feeling of an animalic quality. It is in a moonlit garden this rose rather than a candlelit floral arrangement. The vanilla is creamy and soft, but NOT sweet or too rich. Really on me it just adds creaminess and maybe a HIGHLY subtle leathery quality.

This and Mad Madame are my favorites so far in the JHAG line as I am going through the sample kit. I also really enjoy Anyway for a zingier but still rocker chic cool masculine/feminine dichotomy alternative to the rich musks and dark florals that prevail in this line.

Next in my reviews and explorations will likely be Gentlewoman.

I also LOVE this bottle with the classic black and white and reddish pink letters on the design. It would be my favorite bottle design in the whole collection. I also love the vampy red bottle with black burlesque writing that is Mad Madame,

This fragrance is very ME (Lady Vengeance) and will likely be a top contender along with Midnight Oud, that I have yet to sample.

To Read all 51 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/16/2014 8:44:00 AM

Sweet citric vanilla Rose modern chypre that is somewhat representative of almost an entire category of gourmand modern rose fragrances popular today. Two stars because it's well done but a bit too mainstream sweet for my taste.

Kurdjian is responsible for Lady vengeance, Maison Kurdjian's lumiere noire, the new extremely sweet fruity rose patchouli My Burberry; Guerlain's Rose Barbare and Narcisco Rodriguez's musk oil (the latter two of which are not gourmand), and many others. I was hoping that LV would be a less expensive substitute for lumiere noire, but both LV and LN are actually too sweet to warrant FB purchases. LV is a bit more sweet -- Splenda sweet-- than LN, and LV is a bit less sweet than the bargain (deliberately plastic) vanilla rose that started it all, Rochas Tocade. LV and Tocade have almost the same dry down on me, so if I want this effect, I will go with Tocade and put the money towards another fragrance. I also consider LV to be akin to Guerlains rose nacree de desert (benzoin, amber rose, sweet patchouli). IMO LV is different from chypres like rose Barbare, which is like a light version of l' arte de gucci EdP, not EdT. My issues with LV may be due to my skin chemistry which sometimes causes citrus to turn a bit candied on my skin.

If you want a honeyed amber rose that is NOT gourmand, one option is vintage, e.g., vintage ungaro Diva or vintage EL Knowing EdP.

If you want a modern honeyed Amber Rose that is a bit different, try Andy Tauer, in the following order of sweetness: Tauerville Rose Flash; rose vermeille; and Phi Une rose de Kandahar.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I had been debating about whether or not to buy this one for years. Every time I came across a bottle I would test it, and then think 'but I have other rose patchoulis'. Which is true, but I never wear them. I finally caved in when I found it on sale, and now I wish I hadn't waited so long. This is very much like Lumiere Noire with less skank, and on a smaller scale. Comparing the two comes down to two ways of looking at perfumery - 'perfume as art' vs 'perfume as toiletry.' As much as I love perfume, and appreciate that it is a creative expression, most of the time I just want to smell nice and not weird. LN was made for Catherine Deneuve and does indeed smell like the sort of thing you would catch on the air standing 50 feet away from where she is on the red carpet, for example. It's a massive fragrance and not something I could wear under any circumstances in my normal life. And in turn it was modelled on the type of Middle Eastern attar which seems to smell best if it's muffled by an abaya. LV is a pocket-sized version of this theme. Less skank, less sillage, more rose-y. For me that's a positive, although some will feel differently I'm sure.

on 11/15/2013 9:53:00 AM

I expected a deep, mysterious rose and patch combo with a bit of naugthiness or dirt, and got three hours of good old Tocade instead. I love my cuddly Tocade, however she is everything but Lady Vengeance.

Medium sillage and good lasting power though.

Beautiful scent. Very unique. Smells so luxurious. Some reviews say it smells mature but I don't think this is the case at all. It is just unique and a lot different to the sickly sweet fragrances that are being introduced these days.

on 1/27/2013 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been wearing this for about a week and I love it - it smells a bit 'mature' (like my grandma ) for the first half hour but then once it dries down the fragrance is amazing!! I keep finding myself bringing my wrists toward my nose..... It's a very sexy fragrance , very cute packaging and very expensive (but worth it)!!

on 12/26/2012 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I ordered a sample vial of this perfume to see if I would like it and I am in love.

The note in this perfume are fairly simple, consisting of: bulgarian rose, vanilla, and patchouli. Despite the simplicity, this is an extremely seductive fragrance. I will be rushing out to buy a full sized bottle now!

on 12/6/2012 5:08:00 AM

This is dark, sensual and a little bit dirty. I fell in love with this today and after swearing I would buy no more perfumes for 6 months out came the credit card. There's is something so seductive about this scent. It's mysterious, earthy and SO sexy. I probably won't be using it as an everyday scent but save it for dates or nights out as it makes me feel like doing bad things... ;) It's just bumped all my other fumes down a notch. Sorry guys.
EDIT: This has just been surpassed by "Not a perfume" from Juliette has a gun.

on 8/27/2012 8:36:00 PM

I ordered an entire set of sample vials from Juliette has a Gun and this was my absolute favorite of the bunch.
This to me is rose with an edge. The vanilla is not at all sweet and the patchouli is not at all strong or something that I would consider hippie-ish. It's a nice soft, inoffensive patch that gives the rose and vanilla a dark, sexy kick. As of right now this is my HG, and I have an extensive fragrance collection. The price is a bit steep so I'm hoping this bottle lasts for a while.
Also...my hubby who things all perfume pretty much smells the same, loves this on me. That's really saying something.

Popular Fragrances