Joico JOIGEL Styling Gel Medium Hold

Joico JOIGEL Styling Gel Medium Hold

It does hold my medium length heavy hair fairly well, but it is so sticky to use. It seems to weight my hair down. I think Matrix products are better.
UPDATE: After trying many other brands, I went back to Joico and tried the firm gel. In one word, YUCK. It was too strong a hold and made my hair dry and dull looking. If you have fine, limp hair, you might like this one. I'm going back to Sexy Hair gel. It works and I should never have gone away from this winner.

on 3/12/2011 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Adding to the rave reviews, this gel is really good! I have tight curls and coils (so 3c/4a hair) and I like styling products that define them with some hold--not too light but not too strong, and doesn't leave hair with a crunch or product-ish feeling. So far this gel does this the best. Another plus is that it's silicone free, so it rinses out very well. I try not to shampoo often (just 1-2x week) but I usually rinse and condition my hair daily to maintain moisture and restyle. I just started using this a week or two ago, and found recently the hold allows me 2nd day hair, so on those days I don't really have time to re-do my hair I know I can use this. I am sold. Will repurchase.

on 2/6/2008 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I rarely repurchase any product, but Joigel is an exception to my rule. Awhile back, I read that this gel was loved by the Sex in the City cast - and since I wanted my waves to look like Sarah Jessica Parker's curls, I ran out and bought a tube. For once, a rash purchase turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made. This gel worked well for me when used to hold waves and curls, without feeling sticky or crunchy. I'm now using it for a straight hairstyle with bangs, and it's working just as spectacularly. No heaviness, no residue, no heavy scent. I'd recommend this for anyone looking for an all-round excellent gel, as long as you don't need super-duper cement-tough hold. Oh, and in reference to the review below - Joico changed the look but not product name (at least for this product).

This is a really great gel! Nice, light scent. Not sticky or flakey. I bought a 10 oz tube for $5 at Marshall's. I'd say the hold factor is light. This is in the older packaging. This gel would have a different name now

on 1/14/2010 7:14:00 PM

I've been using this for years when I want to wear my hair curly. It never flakes, smells nice and holds a nice curl. Your curls will not be stiff or sticky. Best gel out there.

Popular Styling Products