75%
package quality

price range

Reviews

8 days ago

I have oily skin with large pores and am on tretinoin for acne/anti-aging. I also live in coastal New England, so my skin is super dehydrated and flakey during the winter - it’s not pleasant! I was looking for a physical exfoliant to have on rotation when a flannel doesn’t cut it. I purchased a travel size of this after reading the rave reviews and oh my gosh, it did not disappoint! In fact, I purchased the full size after using this only once!! The consistency is thick and luxurious and it is gentle, yet surprisingly effective. I use this whenever my skin is particularly flakey or looking dull and it really makes a difference in brightness and texture. Since I don’t use this daily, I find shaking the bottle a few times before use helps the formulation and mixes in any exfoliating beads that may sink to the bottom. Don’t let the price scare you off - a little goes a very long way! Overall, I highly recommend this if you are looking for a hearty, effective physical exfoliant.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesHazel

a year ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! I'm a new mom so I love being able to eliminate extra steps in my skincare routine!This will not only cleanse your skin,it will gently exfoliate it.It has little grits in it,but it won't scratch or irritate your skin.My skin always feels soft and clean.Always looks brighter and more even too!A little goes a long way,but I just wish it came with a pump because as you use more and more it gets harder to get the product out.Definitely reasonably priced for what you're getting! I had the 8fl oz for months,used it everyday in the morning and at night.It really helped with my acne and blemishes as well.

About reviewer (17 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Coarse

a year ago

I have been buying this for years and was very happy with it! However, when I repurchased it, I was extremely disappointed to find that the formula had been changed! Why? I don't understand companies who change the formulas of products that have been beloved by consumers for years! Problems: It will not come out of the bottle! It is thick and sticky and the consistency of Elmers!! By the time I get it out of the bottle and thin enough to put on my face, the grains have all gone down the drain!! I will not repurchase this! Find a dupe ladies! Don't pay $25.00 for a bottle of glue and put it on your face …. Just sayin

Age56 & Over

SkinOily, Tan

a year ago

I've been looking for a scrub just like this for years. I've never once liked a Philosophy brand product before. Typically I find them highly irritating, highly fragranced, overpriced, and generally lacking in good ingredients. Ulta had this on sale and I finally tried the in store tester. I have been on the hunt for a gentle, yet effective face scrub. Chemical exfoliators have always left me dry, broken out, or overall seeing no results, so I stick to actual physical exfoliation. I don't want something harsh like st. Ives apricot scrub, but I want something more than the soft micro bead type exfoliators. I tend to get some dry skin on certain areas that needs to be sloughed off, I want to have my skin feel soft and smooth, and I need to have a scrub help remove any last bits of dirt or buildup on the skin. That all being said, I don't want stripped skin or anything that is damaging my skin. The amount of grit in this is great. The fact that it's such a fine scrub, yet I don't need more than a dime size amount to do my face is great. Overall I'm impressed. I could do without the fragrance, but since it doesn't linger on my skin and it's a citrus scent, I'm not bothered or irritated by it. I've found I can use daily if I want, but that my nose area gets slightly irritated and dry around my nostrils and I need to moisturize extra. Using every other day seems to be a great option and I'm enjoying the results. I'm hopeful adding this to my routine will help me fade a couple minor acne scars I have beyond my normal washing and spf routine. I've seen smoother skin on my chin area and forehead area so far. I went ahead and bought more during the bogo sale philosophy had on their website last week. With how little I use I think I'll be set for a couple years with the three 16oz bottles I have. I recommend trying if you are looking for a gritty, effective scrub.

About reviewer (104 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

EyesHazel

2 years ago

I used this stuff for years, and although I never reviewed it before, I would have rated it 5 stars. It was the finest, most gentle, but effective physical exfoliant I've every used. Easy to squeeze out of the bottle, lovely consistency, a pleasure to use, and left my skin feeling silky without the slightest irritation. Recently I got a new bottle... and it is beyond horrible. Clearly a new formula - it's thick and gluey, difficult to squeeze out of the bottle, oddly scented, and gritty - but at the same time, it's like the ratio of grit to glue is very low: lots of glue with the occasional scratchy bit mixed in. I can't use it on my face anymore, so I'm gradually using it up in the shower, since my arms and legs don't seem to mind the scratchy bits of whatever's in there now. it's not super easy to rinse off, though, and any residue will leave me with a rash. As I'm writing this I'm wondering why I haven't just chucked it. So disappointed in Philosophy for ruining a perfect product. Wish I'd known in time to stockpile the old product.

About reviewer (32 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination, Fair

EyesGreen

2 years ago

I use this product twice a day. Once in the morning and in the evening. Because I wear makeup everyday it is important that my pores are free and clear especially since I have oily skin. I began using this product about 6 months ago as I felt the need to exfoliate everyday but needed something that was gentle on the skin. This fit the bill perfectly. My skin is super clean after using this, my pores have shrank, and it also controls my natural oils. My skin is so smooth now and I find myself able to wear any foundation which wasn't the case prior to using this product. The only downside to this product is the bottle...there should have been a pump however it is thick so a pump may not be practical. its a thick jelly like consistency and I've used the same bottle for the last 6 months. A little goes along way. Highly recommend.

About reviewer (21 reviews)

SkinOily, Deep Dark

3.0

2 years ago

Do not scrub your eyebrows with this product! Upon my second wash I decided to use it on my entire face including eyebrows. The second I “gently” scrubbed my eyebrow it took half of it off!!!!!!! I love the product but keep it away from eyebrows!!!!

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

EyesBlue

2 years ago

A Ulta worker had recommended this facial wash to me and since the day I have bought it, I’ve have only used it TWICE, my neck has broken out into a rashfest EACH TIME! I feel miserable! There’s barely any grit in this facial wash. I’m returning this ASAP. Please don’t buy this if you have normal skin condition.

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

2 years ago

I have been using this physical exfoliant once daily on my combination, sensitive skin. It might be too much in winter and I probably should cut back to every other day. But I have very dry skin in winter (Canada) which lasts 5 months. And this daily exfoliation is the only way to keep the flakes at bay. Apart from exfoliating, it also cleans fairly well and leaves my skin feeling clean. I started ordering the 1L bottle from Nordstrom since I was going through the regular size every month. I wish it was cheaper but haven't found anything that works as well.

About reviewer (81 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBlack

EyesBlack

3.0

2 years ago

Not a fan! Ok for daily use if you have dry/normal skin but for oily I prefer more grains/nuts exfoliating. I do like the pore extractor mask though.

About reviewer (155 reviews)

SkinOily, Olive, Warm