Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare  Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel

3.9

Step 1: Water, Alcohol Denat., Glycolic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Potassium Hydroxide, Salicylic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Citric Acid, Lactic Acid, Malic Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Soy Isoflavones, Disodium EDTA, Copper PCA, Zinc PCA, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Benzoate. Step 2: Water, Sodium Bicarbonate, Ascorbic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Retinol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Resveratrol, Ubiquinone, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Soy Isoflavones, Phospholipids, Copper PCA, Sodium PCA, Zinc PCA, Simethicone, Octoxynol-9, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

For some context: I have extremely dry skin that often flares up with eczema patches, but is also very acne prone, especially around my mouth and chin. I don’t have issues with large pores, but I do have acne scarring. My skin is generally not sensitive, although it sometimes takes a violent dislike to products, so I always do a patch test before I try something new. My skin has a fast cell turnover and I can exfoliate up to three times a week. I generally use physical exfoliants, but after using a Paula’s Choice 10% AHA Resurfacing treatment and seeing great results, I’m interested in trying other chemical exfoliants.

I picked up the original two-step version of this product, rather than the sensitive option.
The initial application of this product makes my skin sting quite a lot. It doesn’t make my skin red or burn it, but it is an unpleasant sensation. It particularly stings on the drier parts of my face. Once I have applied step one, my skin becomes very dry and tight. I usually wait one minute between the two steps rather than the recommended two minutes, as I don’t like the dry feeling that I am left with. Step two doesn’t sting my skin as much, although there is still a definite tingling sensation. Once that has dried down, I apply my serum and moisturiser, which neutralises the stinging.

The stinging sensation isn’t horrible, but it is something that you should take into account before you buy. Your skin does get used to it over time – or so I’ve been told. I still experience it!

This product definitely helps my other skincare steps to absorb better, which is really beneficial to my dry skin. My face feels plumper and more hydrated after my routine is completed, which is a bit strange, as step one seems to really dry me out. I think that this product maximises the effects of the rest of your routine, as the ingredients are able to penetrate the skin more efficiently. To me, this is the main benefit of this product.

My skin feels very soft and smooth afterwards. I find that this product is useful for bringing pimples to a head if they have been lurking under the skin for too long. I often get patches of gross bumps that don’t come to a head for weeks, so this is great for speeding that process along. However it doesn’t seem to make my pimples disappear any faster.

The smell is very chemical and alcoholic. It’s not a pretty smell, nor is it subtle. So if you’re sensitive to chemical smells, I’d stay away from this.

Overall I’m not sure if I’d buy this again, due to the way that it stings on application. I have used other chemical exfoliants that do not sting and give me the same results. So while I liked the effect that this product had after application, I think I’ll keep looking for my perfect chemical exfoliant.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Okay, first of all, two disclaimers: I do not think this product suits my skin type, which is acne-prone and ultra-oily. Secondly, while I didn't actually purchase this product, I believe I've used it enough to give a fair assessment of my experience with it.

So I had a bunch of points racked up at Sephora and finally decided to redeem them. Unfortunately, they were out of most of their rewards products on the day I went. The sales associate, however, assured me this peel is great for all skin types, especially sensitive skin. My skin is pretty sensitive, and I figured I'd try a product that would nourish my skin for a change, as I'm always putting stuff on it to dry it out. So I got five sample packs of these with three peels each, a total of 15 peels. I used three and gave up.

I added this peel to my skincare routine--my usual masks, cleansers, moisturizers, and toners. The thing I most dislike about this peel is that it leaves a sticky layer of gunk behind on your face that never fully dries down or goes away. It just feels heavy on the skin and gross. Additionally, it broke me out, even when I started using it every other day. That's when I called it quits.

HOWEVER, I passed these along to my 59-year-old mother, and she adores them. She says they make her skin feel perfectly balanced, and I have to agree; her skin does get a very healthy-looking, radiant glow (as opposed to an oil-slick glow) when she uses this peel, and I think it even calms some of the redness in her skin.

If your skin is on the drier side or more mature, you may really enjoy this product. However, it is NOT for all skin types, and if you have oily and/or blemish-prone skin, I recommend staying away.

To Read all 312 Reviews, Login or Join

I've used just about everything you can think of, including, serums, at-home peels, professional peels, acids and antioxidants of every letter of the alphabet...you name it. I have combination skin with large pores, acne prone, sensitive and aging at 30+.

I have to say that this product is fantastic. It's easy to use, packaged for easy use and travel, and takes only a few minutes. There's lots of great things in the reviews, but being a seasoned skincare person, here's my thoughts:

- This product does contain alcohol. I am typically against alcohol but when doing a peel, using alcohol first before the peel is recommended to strip the skin of dirt and oil that would impede the efficacy of the peel. Alcohol in this sense, is a good thing.
- For those of us poor souls with large pores and acne-prone skin, this is a life saver. The mix of manual exfoliation (putting on the peel), AHA and BHA, then retinol is an acne-busting combination. Thumbs up!
- I think it's ridiculous to use this continuously everyday. Too much exfoliation is not good for you and will invite irritation and skin sensitivity = sun damage. You'd be better off getting a good AHA/vitamin C product to use daily, and then a retinol at night (I love Dennis Gross Retinol brightening) and use this product once or twice a week.
- That being said, if you don't use other exfoliating products, need to rev up the exfoliation for a short time, or are having a particular bout of acne or rough textured skin, perhaps use this daily for a week and then let your skin calm.
- This has replaced my 30% glycolic peels for home that I was doing once a month, but it would not replace my higher percentage or TCA peels that I do twice a year.
- This is a surface peel, but a good one at that. It will help with gradual fading of sun spots, and lines that come from surface dry/rough skin. It will likely not get down to the lower layers of the skin where the dramatic changes happen and require more downtime. So, as long as you have the right expectations, you'll be happy.

The price is high, but it's effective and will help your other products you bought work more effectively. I've had mine for about two months and have only used 6 or 7 pads out of the 35 (I got 5 free with the Sephora purchase). Cutting them in half will help you too.

Enjoy clear, bright, refreshed skin!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So, this came free with a sephora purchase. Didn't think too much about it but tried it this week and love love love it! A true skin brightener, pore minimizer and overall radiant producer. Will be buying it this weekend!

Review after 1-use:
I have combination skin on my chin, nose & cheeks. Elsewhere...all dry/normal! I have discolouration (freckles+), acne scars, large pores on my nose/cheeks and active inflammation of larger (but not cystic) acne along my jaw area.

The main reason for this purchase was to minimize my acne scars & discolouration on my face. As I am in my early twenties, I am not yet concerned about anti-aging...however, treating myself to a treatment here and there doesn't hurt!

Initially, I could not decided between this peel, or the gentle one as I have ezcemic skin. However, I sided with this one anyways. I gave it a try last night, and I am already noticing a slight difference. While my freckles are still there, I feel as though my face has brighten up AND my acne scars have lightened very so slightly. I had a red-ish bump from an old pimple yesterday, but now, it has faded and the bump has gone down in size.

You're instructed to rub Step 1 all over your face (avoiding the eye area) until the pad is dry, which doesn't take long as Step 1 contains alcohol. I focused primarily on my cheeks and jaw as those were my problem areas. I also made sure I was wiping my face using an upwards motion - dragging from my jawline UP towards my forehead. Once the paid is dry, you wait two minutes before using the Step 2 wipe. You wipe using Step 2 until that is all dry, then you proceed with your usual products (avoiding ones with alcohol).

I'm not going to lie - it stung the first couple of seconds. On a scale 1-10, 10 being the worst pain ever, I would rate the sting, 2. It was very mild and after a couple of seconds you get use to it or it would disappear.

This morning I felt that my face was brighter and my acne marks were less red. I didn't pay much attention to my pore size but I will the next time I use this.

I can't justify using this nightly, and I also don't think its necessary to use it everyday. I'd say 1-2 / week is good enough. As for the cost...yeah, it's expensive. But I think you can prolong the usage of this product if you only use it once or twice a week. Also, you can also cut the wipes into half as I truly think 1 whole wipe is sufficient for two applications. Just store the other unused half in a ziploc bag to keep it moist or something..

As for the packaging, I got the one where the wipes come individually wrapped. This keeps the wipes moist, hygienic and great for travelling.

I'll update this after a couple more uses.

Truly one of those products where the high price is justified. It works amazingly well to straighten out whatever yuckies you have on your face. I never use it daily; it is a weekly or bi-weekly treat. It delivers and my skin clears up and just glows. Worth the price, you guys. Highly recommended.

on 3/11/2016 12:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

GOSH DARN IT! This product WORKS! But it's just so expensive. I use this every night and it makes my skin as smooth as a baby's butt. I wish I could find an alternative to this one, because I can't possibly be spending this much on one skincare product every 2 months for the rest of my life. Yikes. The results are spectacular though.

Ire ever this as a sample and was a bit hesitant to use it as I have really sensitive skin. All I can say is it is such a good product! I personally wouldn't use this daily but once a week/two weeks would do wonder gory our skin.

You apply step 1 pad which I found tingled on my face then wait a minute and apply the step 2 pad.. I then waited 5 mins before applying my usual moisturiser.

The results are pretty much instant, all flakey skin has disappeared, my skin looked even, felt moistured and comfortable and soft and smooth.

The only downside is I can only find them in packs of 60 which in the UK is £124!!!! Having said that they are well worth using if you have a special event and want your skin to look amazing!

UPDATE - you can now get these in packs of 5 on Lookfanastic for £15 :)

This product worked well and was non-irritating to my normal-to-oily/combination skin. When I used it, even every other day, it did seem like my skin texture improved (particularly forehead area) and pores smaller/tighter (particularly around nose area). I also found it to be gentle enough (though, usually, my skin is not particularly sensitive to products, and doesn't break out in rashes or blemishes from them).

I would repurchase this product, if I did not think I could find anything better and cheaper than this. This peel worked well enough on my skin, even if I used it every other day or every two days. However, I found the two-step process to be rather inconvenient. Additionally, it was rather costly even for a good/effective alpha-hydroxyl skin peel product. I have come across other products that I thought would work just as well and were more cost effective.

on 11/17/2015 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got a sample of this product and like it but I only used it for one day. I don't think I would use a product this strong on my face on a regular basis, I can see it upsetting the balance of my skin. That said, I tried it when I was starting to break out from another product and it helped that acne go away overnight as well as making my skin look nicer and smoother overall and making the lines around my eyes less noticiable. I don't see myself buying this though, because it's so expensive. I may buy the trial pack to keep for use before a special event or if my skin starts breaking out again. EDIT: Where I was starting to breakout eventually broke out anyway, this just made my skin look better temporarily.