Elizabeth Arden Mediterranean

Elizabeth Arden Mediterranean

3.7

on 1/19/2013 11:11:00 AM

When I first smelled this fragrance it really captivated me. I thought about it constantly for a year or so before I purchased a bottle (at a very good price I have to add). However now I wear this for work it has lost its appeal somewhat. The clean scent which made me purchase this in the first place has been overpowered by a warm floral note which although is nice, it is not what I want to smell all day. Don't get me wrong, this is a great fragrance and perfect for summer, I just prefer something which smells fresher. The bottle is beautiful though, the cerulean glass with hammered silver cap perfectly captures the Mediterranean. I wouldn't buy again but I do think it is worth trying if you want a summery fragrance.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have yet to find a single perfume I dislike from Elizabeth Arden, so it was no surprise to me that I love this one. The gorgeous bottle is the exact shade of blue characteristic of the Mediterranean, and the scent is like a breath of fresh air. This is not a strong perfume by any stretch, but its subtle scent lingers pleasantly for about six hours. I could not identify any single ingredient for sure, so I did a little research. The exotic quality comes from Madagascar orchid, wisteria and Star magnolia, with light finishes of peach, Sicilian mandarin and the beautifully named Damask Plum. I was pleased to learn my hunch was correct about Amber being a base note, but was surprised to find Sandalwood and Musk. I avoid musk like the plague because it tends to be cloying and overpowering, so I must conclude the perfume contains very little. The Sandalwood and Amber add a spicy, woodsy quality, which nicely balances the fruits and exotic florals. Everything combines to create a delicate scent that evokes sunshine, summer and adventure. It makes me want to grab my passport and go back to the Italian Riviera and the Greek Islands. This is the sort of perfume that quietly invites you in rather than being powerful and overt. When I first wore it and my husband came in close, he breathed in deeply and murmured, "Mmmmm, what is that delicious scent and where have you been hiding it?" I immediately purchased the complete gift set, and considered the reasonable price tag a bonus. I'm halfway through my third bottle and will definitely buy again.

To Read all 62 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/12/2011 1:50:00 PM

I've repurchased this item more than once. It's a crisp, clean scent. I don't feel like I'm wearing a fragrance because of how light and refreshing it is. I'm finishing up a jumbo bottle now and have already purchased a new one to replace it.

on 2/10/2011 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Well to each their own. I find this to be a very crisp, clean scent. I like it very much actually. Some have said it does not last that long and in fact it really does not last as long as some of my stronger scents. I find this last about 5 hours, or so before I feel like I cannot smell it on myself any longer but yet I can smell it on my clothes.
I got this description from fragrantica.
Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for women. Mediterranean was launched in 2007. The nose behind this fragrance is Claude Dir. Top notes are sicilian mandarin, plum and peach; middle notes are magnolia, orchid and wisteria; base notes are sandalwood, amber and musk.
Since I know little about the actual smell of most perfume ingredients, I can only say whether I think they are a good combination to create a wonderful aroma. There is a bit of mint in this fragrance or so my nose tells me, perhaps the combination of some of these create that smell?
To me this is a wonderful after shower or before bed kind of perfume, and since it is inexpensive compared to some of my other fragrances, it does not bother me to have to respray if I want to enjoy this fragrance all day and into the night. In fact, I love another booster spray even with my fragrances that cost so much more and last somewhat longer. ;-)
I cannot believe the deal I found on not only the large bottle of parfum spray, but the box also has a small bottle of splash on parfum and a small bottle of dusting powder! What a real treat, usually the boxes have a lotion which is great too, but powder...I love it.
The bottles are adorable to say the least. The bright marine blue is an amazing color sitting there under the lights of my vanity, and the shape of the bottle is really classy. The small tub of powder has a tiny powder puff, with the same blue container and lovely silver engraved type lid.
I do think a fine perfume can be likened to a fine plate of food. The way the food looks is often enough to make us like it even more. The same can be said of a fine fragrance, or a not so fine fragrance. When the bottle is very attractive and soothing to our visual senses, I think I grab that bottle more often. ;-)
I would buy this fragrance again, and I am enjoying having it in my collection. I do so love after Christmas mark downs. ;-) I can hardly wait for after Valentine's and after Mother's Day mark downs too. I want to add a few more of the inexpensive fragrances that I know I will like and use. Gives me a chance to experience new smells and I get to save more of my very expensive smells.
Update:
I still like the scent of this one, but it kind of reminds me of a men's aftershave after a while. ;-) I guess that is ok when I want to feel more manly (like that ever happens!) but maybe if I am doing something I call man's work, like mowing, bring in wood, etc. ;-) Yeah I know women do that stuff too & I use to when I was a lot younger and more able to do so, but now that I am way older, I call it man's work. Especially with two young men (my sons) and a husband at home to do that stuff.

Love the smell but it has no staying power at all unfortunately.

on 7/18/2010 3:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

When I first tested this perfume I loved it, so naturally I bought it. After a while I got sick of it and now I don't really want to go near it. It may sound weird, but after a while it sort of lost the smell that first attracted me to it. I might try again again in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.

on 7/3/2010 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Very nice fresh Ocean like smell. I am looking for this kind of scent, almost similar to cool water but different in a way. Love the round bottle and the nice packaging.
Elizabeth has some good scent perfume, and at reasonable price too.
I am allergic to certain fragrance's scents, but I I mostly prefer floral over fruit or food. There's some fragrances that as soon as i smell it I start sneezing right away. Some example of scents I like are waterlily, lavendar, freesia, amber, jasmine, vanilla, orchid, and patchouli. Some that I don't like are grapefruit, passion fruit, pear, apple, anis, orange, peach, and strawberry. But usually it depends on how they are mix and the proportion they use.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Nice pretty bottle, the smell does smell like clean soap but its not pretty, something manly about it.

I like Mediterranean. On me, it smells almost exactly like Giorgio Blue, another nice clean soap and water fresh scent. In fact, I sprayed Giorgio Blue on one arm and Mediterannean on the other and...it's very difficult to tell the difference. I asked my son and he said they smell "the same".
So Mediterranean is another nice floral inoffensive soap and water fresh scent which can be worn to work. Not sophisticated, not outstanding but not cheap smelling either. And it can be worn by women of any age. It doesn't smell teeny bopperish yet not too mature for younger ladies to wear.
Overall I recommend this scent for work, day use, church and casual wear.

on 11/15/2009 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I got a sample of this--I'm not sure why or when or how--and I loved it. Loved it so much I bought the 3.3 oz size (before you could get them cheap online or at TJ's)... and have since discovered that I don't like it at all.

On my skin, this fragrance begins extremely sharp; no one note stands out, but I suspect it contains Calone. The dry-down is the best aspect (which comes out after a few hours on me) and is warm, vanilla-y, and musky.

The simplicity of the bottle is nice, but the cap is cheap coated plastic.

Popular Fragrances