Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scrub

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scrub
Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scrub

4.1

Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (2%) (Acne Treatment) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, PPG 15 Stearyl Ether, Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Polyethylene, Polysorbate 60, Steareth 21, C12 15 Alkyl Lactate, Cetyl Lactate, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzotriazole Butylphenol Sulfonate, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Panthenol, Cucumber (Cucumis Sativus) Extract (Cucumus Sativus), Camellia Olefifera (Green Tea) Extract, Butylene Glycol, Menthol, Microcrystalline Wax, Benzalkonium Chloride Solution, Yellow 5 Lake, Green 5, Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Fragrance

on 3/26/2008 10:43:00 AM

EDIT - Neutrogena Acne Stress Power Scrub

SCORE! After having my face turn into a disaster area from using mineral makeup (my skin just can't handle it,) I began the search for a d/s acne cleanser that could help with my not so little problem.
First there was Clean & Clear's 3 step acne treatment, then Loreal's 3 step treatment (both were alright, but no spectacular results,) then I found Neutrogena's Acne Stress control scrub (cleanser also comes in a foaming wash & I believe a cream wash too.) The very first thing that I noticed was the incredible fresh scent... then the cool tingle on my face (you can actually FEEL this product working & your skin getting clean)... then how smooth my skin felt afterward. It also didn't leave my face too dry, which is hard to get from an acne product.

I purchased this cleanser with a Neutrogena oil absorbing astringent & also with Neutrogena Acne Stress 3 in 1 (it's a treatment/redness reducer/hydrator) & have been using them in a 3 step process with amazing results. I would recommend this product to anyone, not just people who have, or are having problem skin as the cleanser is so delightful to use!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This product is kicking a$$ and taking names on my acne. Zits don't stand a chance against this! Next to Accutane, this is the best acne treatment I have ever used, especially when I use this along with the Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Hydrating 3-in-1 treatment, which I use morning and night.
The remarkable thing about this is that it DOES NOT DRY OUT MY SKIN. It simply gets rid of the acne. I use this once a day in the shower, massaging into my face, chest and shoulders and letting it sit for about two minutes. This is not really scrubby at all. I think the only reason the scant scrub particles are in there is to encourage the user to rub this into the skin really well. In other words, this is not a friction exfoliator. This is more of an acne treatment. Another sensory bonus is that this tingles the skin lightlly and pleasantly,and smells good, like minty cucumber melon.
Between this and the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Hydrating 3-in-1 treatment, my skin is looking beter than it has in more than a decade. My skin looks so good that I frequently leave the house with nothing but a light dusting of bronzer on my face. That's right - this has freed me from having to wear makeup to look presentable. Holy grail for sure. I got this at CVS for $7.99. continued >>

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I've been using this for about 2 months now and it's really helped clear my face. I'll save you my long product history, but I will say that I have tried everything. For some reason this really works, which amazes me because I rinse it right off! I have oily skin that's mainly plagued by blackheads, papules, and clogged pores with occasional cysts. This product helps immensely with them. I have gone from feeling disfigured without makeup to having occasional good days where I only have to use a loose powder. I should note that this really helped those small, colorless bumps that are such a pain to extract.

I use this twice a day, but I don't have sensitive skin. It's particularly effective if I can use it during a steamy shower and let it sit on my face for a few minutes.

UPDATE 1/25/10: I've stopped using this scrub. It did dramatically clear up my face for awhile, but I think my skin has become resistant to it. :( It doesn't exfoliate nearly enough, and I have a lot of blackheads to get rid of. Ho hum... I still think acne-prone skins should give it a try, though.

UPDATE 6/16/10: I was using Lush Dark Angels scrub for awhile, but it never exfoliated all that well. I'm back to using the Neutrogena, and I remember why I used to love it so much. It really improves the quality of my skin and I should also note that it's not drying at all. It's hard to not use it everyday because of the good results I get, but I'm trying to keep it to every other day in order to keep up the effectiveness.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I held off on reviewing this product for about a month because I didn't want to like it. I got myself convinced that it was necessary for me to stay far away from all scented and abrasive products and especially ones with the "tingly" feeling, and I have not strayed from the Acne.org gentle cleanser (similar to Cetaphil) in years. However, I ran out of my beloved facewash, and my roommate had this in our shower. I used it and loved my initial use of it - it smelled SO GOOD, made my face feel refreshed (but not overly tingly like some Neutrogena products do) and very clean! I liked it so much that I used it again, and again, and again.. until I decided to go out and buy my own. This whole time, I was *WAITING* for a massive breakout from this product - it just seemed to good to be true. But the breakout never came. Now a month into it and my skin is better than ever! I have mild-moderate acne but since I have been using this consistently (I use it twice a day) and follow with Acne.org 2.5% BP, I have never been clearer! I am THRILLED with this face wash and never want to go another day without it!

Pros: Cheap (maybe a little more expensive than most drugstore products? but still very affordable IMO), smells good, clears my acne when used consistently, easy to find at drugstore, makes me feel like I'm pampering myself for some reason :)

Cons: Sometimes the grains are a little hard to rinse off

Final consensus: This "scrub" is incredibly gentle so even if you have sensitive skin I wouldn't worry too much - the beads are very fine and nonabraisive. I am very sensitive to fragranced products (irritation and breakouts) but have had no adverse effects from this. I am sooo glad I found this - it is a miracle for me!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my savior scrub. No facial cleanser or scrub can compare to this on the drugstore or high end level. I've been through ProActiv, which failed me and has only worked in the duration I actually used it (no lasting effects). Then I've tried Clearasil, which destroyed my complexion and sucked all moisture from my skin and made it red, itchy, and blotchy. I've had breakouts for as long as I can remember and have never been able to appreciate what it's like to have clear skin up until now.

My breakouts started at my cheeks and around the hairline. I have never been without at least ONE blemish on my face since I was 13! Compared to some acne, mine was fairly mild. Just a few red, inflamed pimples on each side of my face, along with hard, tiny population of bumps on my forehead. All of the sudden, around the time I turned 18, it went from mild to cystic :( and started growing toward the center of my face where I wasn't able to hide it. I remember going on my way to school, catching myself in the mirror, and I started bawling like a baby. I still have very light acne scars from the sudden breakout. (I realize now that it was because of my hormones).

Around that time, I went to a local drugstore in dire need of a new routine and face wash. I realized I needed a scrub because foam washes or other soaps were only skimming the surface of my face and not giving me a deep cleanse. I decided to pick this up and it was the name that made me buy it: Acne Stress Control. I was really stressed at the time and felt like this product would manage the acne that came from my stress. My routine only involved using this twice in a row, in the morning and before bed, and drinking a lot of water. Miracles happened! My face started clearing up.

I agree with other reviewers that this calms my skin and soothes the redness. The smell itself is very calming. It's a gentle scrub, but very effective; you can feel the cooling sensation and the relief in your skin once you wash it off and dry up with a towel. I was angry, but overcome with excitement, that this was all I needed for my face this whole time! I'm 21 now, and at this very moment, my skin is almost perfectly clear with the occasional blemish. Although it wasn't ENTIRELY this product, I owe it a lot of credit for helping me out in my worst acne days- for 3 freakin' years. It never broke me out and it has left my skin happy. And I'm STILL not bored with it. I've ventured away, but I always end up using this again. I bought my back up today. This is great stuff. Neutrogena amazes me!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I can't get over how wonderful this works for me. Since I've entered my 30s, I've had about a year of uncontrollable adult acne. I've tried a few items and most of the products has made me break out even more. Even after seeing a dermatologist, she recommend I use simple products such as Neutrogena. So went out and purchased this as my first trail. I started using this product in 2009 and I have been using it ever since. I use it twice a day, morning and night, and I have noticed a huge difference in my skin. This has definitely gotten my acne under control nicely. About two-weeks ago, I had a huge pimple on my right cheek. Normally, if I wasn't using this product, it'll take a good week and a half for the pimple to go away. Since I'm using the Power-Clear Scrub, it diminished in about five days.

In addition, I have used less and less foundation. I don't know if this product is a factor. I can only correlate the two because I started using this around the same time I lessened the usage of foundation. I have noticed my skin tone is more even. When I do feel like applying foundation (usually on special occasions), it applies smoothly.

It's a bit on the pricey side for a drugstore brand and it only contains 4.2 ounces (125mL). I wish it came in the same size as the Power-Cream Wash, which is 6 ounces (177mL) as both run about the same price.

I hope Neutrogena does not discontinue this product. This is such a WONDERFUL and HELPFUL product for my skin. I will be purchasing this again and again!

on 7/15/2008 6:21:00 PM

I am really impressed with this product. I decided to buy it after seeing it in Allure magazine and then reading the reviews om MUA. My big pet peeve is when people write a review after using a product for only a day or two. Most products require a good 4-6 weeks to really see a difference. I am very prone to break outs, so with any product the biggest test is "to do no harm." I have not had any break outs or blackheads with this scrub. It also doesn't dry out my face like most acne cleansers. It leaves my face smooth and soft. The smell doesn't bother me, and I like the tingly feeling when I use this. I can't say that I see any difference in oil production however. After using the product for about 3 months now, I have definitely seen an improvement in my old post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation spots. I use the scrub daily and just bought my second tube. I highly recommend this!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have the bad luck of being acne-prone but allergic to benzoyl peroxide, which many acne scrubs have. I decided to try this because it was benzoyl peroxide free (salicylic acid is the main acne fighter in this) and easy on my wallet.

This is my go-to facial scrub. My face feels so clean after I use it and I feel like it definitely helps keep my acne under control. It doesn't make me break out either. Please note that it does have a bit of a medicinal smell from the salicylic acid.

It also takes away any extra makeup that might be left on my face that I missed with a makeup wipe. Plus, my face isn't allergic to it!

LOVE this product!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

At first i thought this was working, but then my forehead looked like it was starting to break out so i stopped. Few days later i decided "hmmm my skin started to look better after using this, it probably wasn't breaking me out" Used it for 3 days in a row again and broke out on one side of my cheek with irritated acne. The "tingly" clean feeling is NOT good for your skin, it means your skin is irritated. I thought it was working because it gave my skin a "deep clean" feeling, but it got oily in less than an hour and it also felt like there was a residue left on my skin. I'm throwing this out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I normally gravitate away from Acne products for my hormonal acne and most of products seem to make it worse, but this scrub is without a doubt better than any other drugstore acne control product. I mostly suffer from chronic clogged pores and have been on every acne product known to man including presciptions (Retin-a, Tazorac, duac, Benzaclin, Azelaic acid). I found that as I get older my skin is on the drier side but more clog prone and foaming cleansers actually made me break out even more. since I started using this in rotation with Pan oxyl 4% creamy wash, all my pores have become unclogged including a crop that has been on my left cheek for 3 months. within a week I pretty much stopped breaking out (I had some purging which is good in my case). I use this twice a day and the pan oxyl once a day right after using this scrub (double Cleansing). i scrub this in and leave on for about 3 minutes while in the shower and the plugs start to literally pop out of my face. It makes extractions much easier. I think the Sa/Ga combo in this scrub is the reason it seems to work so well. It's not too harsh but just enough to unclog pores. follow this with gel moisturizer and then 3% Pan oxyl BP my skin is clear as a bell and getting very smooth. I'm very happy to have finally found a drugstore product that works much better than any high end product I have tried. I just bought 2 more of these, one to keep at my BF's and one as a backup. Overall best neutrogana product on the market.