66%
package quality

price range

Reviews

12 years ago

I see this one is very subjective from reading the previous reviews. To some it is a dreadful, saddening memory, to others a walk in the damp, green woods. What I got first was laundry detergent, moss and dirt. Not a bad scent, just very strange and artificially clean. After a few minutes, dry down rescued Black March and it began to smell instead like Iris roots caked in dirt. Not in the metallic way Iris Silver Mist does, but like woody flower roots in dirt. Rather strangely lovely, but also not a true perfume. True to form, I Hate Perfume created a scent here that is not a perfume and yet meant to be worn like one. It is the part of fragrance that invokes memory rather than just the experience of a particular scent. Not a daily wear for me, but a definite interesting experiment. Reminds me of the first weeding of spring. Three lippies for just being cool and an extra one for being so well-blended and different.

About reviewer (1714 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Fine

EyesBrown

12 years ago

This is an absolutely beautiful, earthy scent. Just smelling myself while wearing this makes me feel like I've spent the morning outdoors, even if I've been at my desk all day. It reminds me of green growing things just starting to push their way up out of the earth in spring. The earthy/dirt scent is strongest in the first moments of the perfume. Not unlike the month of March itself, as this perfume ages I smell less "wet dirt" and more "growing things". In the dry-down it's a light, slightly greenish floral - but not "floral" in the way that we tend to associate it with perfume - it actually smells like you're near a flower-bed: flowers, but also stems and leaves, and mud and worms. In addition to the dirt and flower and green notes, there is also a strong element of bark, and/or possibly moss, which is especially prominent in the early moments of the fragrance (first 15 minutes to 1/2 hour). It's hard to describe the beauty of this bark-like scent, but it's plugged directly into parts of my memory, pulling emotional reactions straight out of my past. I find Black March very grounding and beautiful - to me it smells like change, and new beginnings - it's very appropriate for Spring. Like so many people, I can struggle to embrace change as a good thing in life. I've been known to resist even positive life changes, kicking and screaming all the way. For me this scent is a reminder that new things can be just as good (but different) as old things. As is true with life, Black March progresses, it goes through complex changes - notes are lost, and notes are gained - this is not the same scent from moment to moment. There can be a bittersweetness to Black March ... beyond anything else, I think of it as a very "real" scent - it reminds me in a very first-hand way of the direct connects that our perception of scent has to our memories and emotions. I have made my way thorough most of a generous decant of the water perfume, and I plan to buy a full bottle of the absolute - this is something I'd prefer to dab on pulse points than to spray all over, there's something quiet and private about Black March, secrets just between me and the worms.

About reviewer (382 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

12 years ago

It is amazing how quickly this fragrance takes me back to a specific time and place. For me, this scent smells like damp ground and leaves and pine needles and woods. It reminds me of a wonderful fall weekend at at cabin in the country, laying on the ground at night, watching stars and smelling autumn around us. It is also the smell of the log house itself on a rainy night, with the dead bonfire and damp woods outside the open windows as we slept. My guy loves to wear this stuff. I wish they made this in a candle.

About reviewer (123 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinNormal, Other, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

12 years ago

I love CB I hate perfume in general, and have been smitten by quite a few of them. Black March, however, with it's wet rotting leaves and dirt and something dark, leaves me chilled and heart sick. There is something in it which stirs a dark memory, a bitter association, and perhaps this was the intent, but I cannot get past it to wait to enjoy the floral scent that my dear MUAer's profess to being underneath the dark, wet topsoil.

About reviewer (533 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Medium

13 years ago

This was my fist CB I Hate Perfume scent and I still love it. On me it starts off with a really strong scent of damp earth and almost a cold, metallic sharpness. Then once it's on for a bit it warms up and every now and then I get a waft of early spring flowers - snow drop, daffodil, tulip. At no point on me does it ever turn into a floral - earth is always the dominant note. I do also get the faint smell of sweat - my husband describes it as how you get after you slog through a forest hiking in the rain (which to him and me is a great thing!). I love it, that's all I can say!

About reviewer (28 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair

HairRed

13 years ago

When I first applied it I loved it! It is a lovely spring dirt smell. I was immediately thinking "full bottle" for this scent. The dirt scent is lovely and true. Sadly, the dirt smell fades away quickly, leaving a cloying floral that is nothing special. I will keep searching for a better dirt scent.

About reviewer (125 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

13 years ago

I like Black March quite a bit. Now, mind you, it isn't a fragrance that I wold wear every day but it has a firm place in my rotation. It smells of both flowers and dirt and is INTERESTING. Of could you will like it if you like CB's whimisical fragrances. I like this much more than I like his more popular scents such as Beach or Gathering Apples. It's pretty and different.

About reviewer (29 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBlond

13 years ago

A while back I used to go out with this here man. He looks real real good and smells better and feels better than that and he's a real sweet man except that he don't have the sense that god gave a billy goat. The good parts couldn't make up for the sense part in the long run but for the short term he was mighty fine. He liked to work out in the yard just like I do except that he wanted to dig out all of my bark mulch and spray for bugs and weeds and march tulips and petunias and stuff across the front of the house in rows like little soldiers with shrubs all lined up in formation and cut the grass if it got the nerve to grow 1/4 inch which wasn't likely on account of it being scared of the Weed and Seed or Weed and Feed or whichever it is, I wouldn't use that stuff if you paid me. Anyways I wouldn't let him mess with my yard which used to be a cow pasture and looks pretty good to me, all mixed up with oak trees and big cedar trees and shrub roses and rose of sharon and my crepe myrtle trees that he said ought to be butchered down into shrubs which is stupid on account of they're trees, I got ferns and lilies and irises and old-fashioned perennial flowers and all like my Momma grows. Okay, but he was so good as to dig up a fern bed for me around the weeping willow tree? And the shovel hit into some big roots. Black March smells like that fine-looking man with some fresh clean sweat on him and rich black dirt and cut green tree roots and then we rested in the hammock. I don't want to wear that smell but I dreamed about it a couple of times since then.

About reviewer (33 reviews)

Age19-24