66%
package quality

price range

Reviews

6 years ago

I know Chris's perfumes are meant to evoke memories, and boy, do they! This one certainly reminds me of MARCH, just as its name suggests. It brings me back to that first post winter day when one sets out for a walk in the woods, and the snow is almost entirely melted. This smells like damp spring earth. It holds a promise -- that only spring holds -- and the scent does transition into a sweeter, perfume-ier scent as it lingers close to the skin. I doubt that many folks would go for this, because most people would not desire to smell like 'dirt' per se, but it reminds me of my childhood spent playing outdoors in our wooded backyard, and for that, I am so happy to be reminded of this simpler, wonderful time when I was so close to the earth. I think the scent lasts about six hours on me, before I feel the need to reapply. I absolutely love Christopher Brosius's scents, and I have At the Beach 1966, Winter 1972, Wild Hunt, and Black March. I am dying to get the November one to complete my "season" scents, if you will. No lilac, tulip or violet scent reminds me as much of spring as this. Perhaps this is my early spring scent, and then Aerin Lilac Path would be the later spring one :-)

About reviewer (57 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Curly, Other

EyesBlue

2.0

6 years ago

When I opened the sample bottle and sniffed, I said aloud, "Oh my God, it really does smell exactly like dirt!" My boyfriend sniffed and said, "Don't ever wear that. That is atrocious." I said, "Oh, those are just the top notes. I want to see what the dry down is." As it dried down, the sweeter notes came through, but I had the same experience as the previous reviewer, who said it smells chemical. I was at the University of Washington, and as I walked along, I smelled real wet earth, and sure enough, I was wearing a pretty close approximation. But the wonderful sweet freshness of damp cedar and green things smelled fake and cloying and sweetish on me. This one of the few testers I may actually not even try twice. It does NOT work on me.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

9 years ago

I adore this perfume. I should qualify that by saying I'm one of those people who, when someone tells me they have a perfume that smells just like soil, runs to snap it up. (That happens very rarely, except for this perfume.) Nothing to me smells more like spring than this perfume. My grandparents had a farm, and would start their tomato plants in the greenhouse in February. Nothing evokes the experience of planting seeds in soil in a greenhouse on a wet spring day more than the opening of this perfume. In the drydown, the soil stays on but is much less aggressive, and it just smells like earthy, green moss. I've owned both the water perfume and the perfume absolute, and neither has amazing staying power. They last maybe half the day and stay close to the skin. That's fine with me, as wearing this perfume (and a number of the other CB I Hate Perfume scents) is a very personal experience that I don't necessarily want to explain to others.

About reviewer (21 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

EyesGray

9 years ago

I Hate Perfume scents are far from typical perfumes. Christopher Brosius designs his fragrances to evoke memory. I own about 1/2 dozen of them and look forward to getting more. M (Metamorphosis) #2 Black March is described as having "notes of rain drops, leaf buds, wet twigs, tree sap, bark, mossy earth and a hint of spring". On me it opens very green and aquatic. It has slight hints of melon and cucumber, but it isn't a "fruity" scent -- i'm getting sooo tired of fruit perfume, even if the buying public apparently isn't... yet... It definitely smells fresh and brings to mind the optimism of a rainy spring day when everything is budding and growing. As it develops, light and "green" floral hints begin to emerge. After a short while the strong aquatic quality begins to fade, but the scent remains green and moist, and the earthy tones become more noticeable... mmm-mmm-mmm, moist earth, a scent i adore. To me Black March is a unisex scent that would be the perfect antidote to a hot summer day.

About reviewer (221 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

10 years ago

I have mixed feelings about this. The opening notes are the most beautiful experience. I love the smell of earth, wet clean mud and garden bulbs, earthy roots, a whiff of orris, carrot, green grass. The opening notes are so pretty and as the scent develops it's almost like planting lilies and watching them bloom. The first time I sniffed it I brought up the order screen to purchase a bottle immediately. Nothing could be so beautiful. Except as the flowers blossomed I was reminded of a woman who lived down the street from me. She was an older woman who I assume didn't like fuss. She had a garden full of daffodils that bloomed year round, even in a dire frost. Of course they did this because they were plastic. Plastic flowers in real dirt. That is the feeling Black March left me with. Deep inside the scent there is something alluring, vital, and full of potential yet on top it's the smell of Tide with bleach and floral bathroom deodorizer. Perhaps there's a sort of irony in this juxtaposition. I'm leaving the rating rather high because even with the harsh and almost chintzy scent this dries to it works intelligently on some level, to such a point that it is almost postmodern.

About reviewer (273 reviews)

SkinOther

HairOther

EyesOther

10 years ago

This stuff is astounding. I've seen many scents described as "springtime in a bottle," but none like this. The watery top notes are very brief, as if the rain has soaked into the earth, and then it turns very green, as if everything is now sprouting.

About reviewer (545 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

10 years ago

What a BEAUTY!!! The opening smells just like a wet forest in cooler weather when spring is about to start. You can smell it coming! Then it turns into something different on me. It gets warmer and now it is the forest in summer after a thunderstorm (more like demeter thundersturm which I also love but this smells more like the real thing to me). The air cooled off a little and it is getting warmer again. The sun came out quickly again. The earth is still dripping wet and happy about it. Very natural, earthy, realistic scent and beautifully blended, I cannot smell out the different notes. FB worthy for sure. Btw I think this could smell incredibly sexy on a man...:-)

About reviewer (106 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

2.0

11 years ago

While I detect the notes/ effects everyone's talking about: fresh dirt, sap, etc. it just strikes me as too chemical smelling, and also that it doesn't meld together; as in i can easily detect the elements separate; which i guess is exactly the point of the man behind the CB's; to me it's still more like a room fragrance, or a room frag. mimicing the outdoors, and less something to put upon my person. But keep in mind this is my first CB, so i'll eventually try more, I suppose. I like the concept. Also, this is for the oil version, and I think i would prefer the spray.

About reviewer (52 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinDry, Other

EyesBlue

11 years ago

I just received my 2ml absolute of this. Wet, it definitely smells of a garden. Dirt, green, and very pale florals. It's not strong at all. Upon drying, it turns into pale florals with a slight underlying scent of wet green, and maybe the barest hint of dirt, but only if you're looking for it. Being a person who doesn't like florals, I have to say that this is one of the most beautiful and understated florals I've ever smelled. It has virtually no throw, and the smell stays very close to your skin. Minus one lippy because it fades fast.

About reviewer (125 reviews)

SkinDry

HairBlack

11 years ago

This is the best fragrance I've ever smelled. Its very earthy. To me, smells like a dark mossy forest in the middle of fall. Very magical. However, both versions (water and absolute) have nearly no staying power on me.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

Age19-24