Kate Somerville Clarifying Treatment Toner

Kate Somerville Clarifying Treatment Toner

3.9

Aqua, Sodium Hydroxide, Methyl Gluceth-10, Witch Hazel, Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract, Panthenol, Chamomile Extract, Aloe, Lactic Acid, Disodium EDTA-Copper, Phytic Acid, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Caprylyl Glycol, Glycerin, carbomer, Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, Oleanolic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphensin, Butylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben. 6/23/11

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Impression: This is the best toner I've ever used, seriously. With this toner, and with many skin care products, the results do not show immediately, as we might want them too. With this toner, since it is a clarifying treatment, the results will show much later than a week after initial use. For me, I truly began noticing the results after about a month of use, which is when I saw a nice glow and evenness within the appearance of my skin. Also, my skin is much smoother after repeated use of this product.

How I use it: To be clear, using this AM and PM, I apply this to a cotton ball or pad and sweep it over my face, switching the starting spots every day or two, or whenever I feel as though I am beginning in the same place often. Toning, of course, should occur after a thorough cleanse of the face, removing makeup completely.

Packaging: The packaging allows for very little waste of the product, as the pump does not allow any product to escape upon initial press. Also, the packaging promotes perfect hygienic use of the product, and even when I reached the bottom of the bottle I was still able to retrieve product down to the very last corner.

Money: Price? Expensive, for a toner. I think we are used to the days of Sea Breeze and Witch Hazel running us a good $5-$10, but, with this toner having good ingredients, the price point is much higher. This toner runs for about $24-$28, depending on the store from which you purchase. Also, it is not in Ulta, so beware of that, and only in certain Sephora stores but definitely online in both Sephora and Kate Sommerville.

Thoughts: Would I repurchase? Absolutely. Would I refer this to a friend? Absolutely, and have already. Could I live without it? No. I have combo/acne prone skin and this works wonders for controlling the frequency of breakouts, and, most importantly, it lightened my hyperpigmentation over the course of the first month of use. No irritation, clogged pores, or adverse reaction. Top good ingredient? Phytic acid.

If you have the money and access, buy it; it's worth the money.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Fantastic product! I have oily-combo skin and it gets closer to the straight oily side during the warmer months. I used this from Spring through Summer and it was a miracle worker for me. For a Benzoyl Peroxide product (the active ingredient that works best to keep my acne at bay) this product was perfect. I didn't find it to be too harsh, but just right.

I used about 2-3 pumps twice per day (morning and evening) and I found that it kept my skin clear and actually helped with the texture of my skin. I did definitely notice a difference when I wasn't using the product.

I would certainly repurchase but it does stand on the pricier side for me, at $26, so that is deterring me from repurchasing immediately, but it is a great product to rely on.

To Read all 26 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My skin is mature and extremely acne prone (with rosacea). Not only that, I'm also very dermatitis prone. Although I'm not oily anymore, I suffer from raised clogged pores at my hairline as well as chronic clogged pores around my nose. The use of retin-A hasn't changed that a bit. My dermatologist suggested I use a glycolic product to help shed skin cells. The only problem is, my rosacea doesn't tolerate glycolic acid. I tried a few products as an experiment, including glycolic pads (for which I used a short-contact method) and a glycolic cream. My skin didn't tolerate either. I thought about trying a milder form of alpha-hydroxy acid, like lactic acid or malic acid.

To be honest, I purchased this toner because 1) it didn't have alcohol; and 2) Sephora was out of several other products I wanted and it was the last day for the 15% off for BIs. I succumbed to the pressure. I very much like the delivery of this product with the dispenser bottle. I apply the toner with a cotton pad following cleansing. On my skin the results of this toner are pretty quick. Some clogs that are close to the surface roll out the next day. I also experience some drying and mild peeling; raised blemishes dry out quickly However, if I use the toner for several days in a row, I get multiple irritation breakouts plus additional drying/peeling.

Perhaps my skin isn't oily enough for this product. Many of the positive reviews here are from oily-skinned users. Maybe some of the problem is the caprylyl glycol (a coconut-based product). Maybe my skin doesn't tolerate AHAs in any form. Who knows?! Hopefully, I can find a product that works. And I can put it in this bottle which is the only thing I can take away from this purchase.

on 2/3/2015 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

So this is my first Kate Somerville purchase and I'm very happy with it.

First of all with this product I noticed how smooth and soft my skin was, softer than it's ever been and makeup was just gliding on, also I love how hygienic the pump is.
It has definitely improved some redness and discolouration on my skin, and I will be re purchasing if I run out!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this toner so much. It has to be my favorite toner I've ever tried. I have oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin. I find this very gentle but very cleansing. Makes my skin feel great. I find this does help prevent acne and help clear and fade active acne and hyper pigmentation. It is quite expensive for the amount you get. I'm used to drugstore pricing but I very much believe it's well worth it. And the pump bottle is so convenient! I think all toners should come in a container like this, its absolutely amazing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I love this toner so much! I have very oily, sensitive and acne prone skin and this toner has done wonders to my skin. It lightens up acne scars, removes excess makeup, is gentle enough to use am and pm, and controls hormonal acne. For $24 your skin will love you. I highly recommend this product if you struggle with acne or clogged pores and want something gentle and alcohol free.

*Use with the Shiseido Cotton Pads* - Perfection

on 7/23/2013 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Love this toner.

The good: NO ALCOHOL. Lol... Alcohol in skincare break me out and there are very few clarifying toners in the market that has no alcohol and still does a good job of clarifying and mildly exfoliating. It's good at prepping my skin for my serum and moisturizer. Instructions on the package say to use it only once a day which is why I did. My skin gets dry pretty easily if I use too much oil-free products or exfoliating products. So I've never tried using this toner twice a day to give a lowdown on what happens then. Haha..
Really good packaging too. You place your cotton pad on the top of the bottle and press it down to release the toner on the cotton pad.

The bad: None so far!

I actually really like this toner. I only use it once a day because I'm using aha's and retinoids and I was so sick of having acne into my adulthood. This toner is helping keep my skin under control. When I use this usually in the am I find my skin is less oily and even toned. I moisturize with Acure oily skin moisturizer,prime with Clarins primer it's heaven btw. I finish with some Strobe and BB cream. This combo has made me skin really nice and it has not broken out at all. If I use it at night I also use 10% aha cream and Cerave PM. This combo along with retin a yes it's a lot but believe it or not I have no acne and have not broken out.

I really like the dispenser on this it's like the cleanser for the beauty blender so this method is clean and you don't over use the product. I have read this has ingredients that help with hormonal acne and that has been my problem. So when I heard that I snatched this stuff up and so far so good. I have been using it over 2 weeks and by now my skin would of broken out, and I haven't. If you have hormonal acne I do say give this a shot it's working for me when I thought I was hopeless. If your skin is super sensative only use it once a day and use a more gentle toner at night like Thayers or something in the non alcohol realm.

I'm very happy with my skins clarity and tone. I will us this always unless my skin cannot tolerate it but so far with all the stuff I use this toner seems to be a great part of my skin care arsenal. Def recommended if you have hormonal acne because it has kept mine at bay and I'm grateful for that.

on 2/13/2013 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I like this toner, the fact that it does not have alcohol and does not irritate me is great for my acne prone, combo, sensitive skin.
Update: because I liked my results so much I started using this am & pm but it was too much for my skin. So I will continue to use it only once a day at night.
Update: after a month of continued use I haven't seen any results in clarifying or lightening of acne scars. I find its a little bit drying too. I Will finish up the bottle but will not re-purchase.

As a toner it doesn't really do much. I have used many many toners and needed one to help alleviate clogged pores and clear my skin. This one is mediocre at best. I love the packaging though. It makes it so much easier to dispense onto a cotton pad. I will keep the rest of the toner and use it up and then refill it with something else. (I may just end up going back to my much beloved Shu Uemura toner in the red container.)