Evening primrose oil

Evening primrose oil

4.1

on 7/9/2016 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I take internally and externally and it's been working well. My pores have not been inflamed with acne in the past few weeks, and all I have left are some that are healing. It's amazing. This also works on your lips.

I have hormonal type acne all along my jaw line and the bottom of my cheek, so I tried the evening primrose supplements because any creams I put on top did nothing to help so my pharmacist recommended this. Ive been using an evening primrose oil supplement for a around 3 weeks now and I've seen amazing results, I'm using a drug store brand supplement. It was very cheap and only cost around €5 (not sure how much that is in dollars). I take 1 each day (1000mg) and since I've started my skin has cleared up and over the last few days I've had no new spots or breakouts. I would highly recommend trying this, if like my you've tried every type of cream and skin care product it's worth a try, it's worked wonders for my type of skin :)

To Read all 64 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Background: I have oily, acne-prone skin, and am very prone to hyperpigmentation which makes my skin look worse than it actually is. I've recently moved back to a tropical-climate country after 3 years of uni in UK, and my skin's acting up like it has never been before. Of course, in an effort to 'look pretty', I wore loads of foundations and made everything much worse. I've stopped wearing foundation for almost a year now, and only wash my face with Neutrogena's facial wash. I moisturize around the eyes, but wear nothing else on an everyday basis (yes, not even sunblock. Everything breaks me out.)
---
I've been taking 4 Blackmore's EPO (1000 mg/ capsule) every day (2 in the am, 2 before I sleep) for the past week.
On the third day of taking it, I had two new pimples (whether or not this was caused by the EPO, I can't say. Like I said, I have acne-prone skin; although it did make me disappointed as I'd hoped I'd never get any again thanks to EPO). But I stuck through it, and today's day 7.
I woke up today with a kind of 'glow' on my skin- but my skin isn't oilier than usual. Its kinda hard to describe, since I still have hyperpigmentations, but my skin seems healthier somehow. I have not noticed a reduction in number of pimples/ redness/ hyperpigmentation, but its only been a week.

Will update as time passes!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I started using Evening Primrose Oil about 2 weeks ago. Initially, I had read about it helping with cramping and other side effects of being on your period so I started taking it about a week before my period. I took one capsule a day (Spring Valley Brand from Walmart at about 6$) and I also broke open a few capsules and added them to my rosehip seed oil to see how much of a difference it would make to apply it topically to my face. Before trying this method though, I opened a capsule and tested the consistency out on my wrist. Noticing that it is a dry oil that absorbs very quickly into your skin with an almost astringent quality, I realized that it would most likely be very safe to put on my face without too much risk of breaking out.

I definitely noticed less cramping and less boob soreness during TTOM so it certainly helps with that. After my period ended, I upped the dosage to 2 capsules instead of one and continue to apply a couple drops of my mixture of RHSO and EPO to my face twice a day after cleansing. My skin looks brighter, more hydrated but not oily. It has helped me find a good balance to my oily t-zone and drier areas of my face. I'm not sure about the anti-aging benefits as I haven't used this oil for long enough.
So far this oil has been great to use! No breakouts and it really seems to work very well with my oily skin when used alongside RHSO. Once these tablets are gone I am going to try out the organic version. I don't know about everyone else but I've noticed that the difference between the organic and non-organic oils is HUGE. Will write another review and compare the outcomes in the future :)

I was really excited to try this because of all the positive reviews. I've had breakouts since I was like 13 but in the last year or so my acne has progressively gotten worse (I'm 27). It's more persistent and more painful than ever. I've tried just about everything and had no luck. Birth control pills only make it worse...so I thought a natural hormone balancer such as this may be the answer. Since I started taking these (I take 2 1000 mg capsules a day) my face has been breaking out in places it never does! My chin is my main problem area but in the past few days horrible, painful zits have been popping up all over my cheeks and around my mouth. I don't know if this is the main culprit but I'm really disappointed. Everyone's skin is different, so it may work for you. Unfortunately, it didn't for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I just started to take the EPO orally 1300mg (by Solgar). I have a sensitive stomach and it didn't make me feel sick after taking it after breakfast like other suppliments. I'm taking Omega 3 Fish Oil as well an Olive Leaf Extract. I will Keep you People on track how this combination works.

on 7/2/2015 9:36:00 AM

I'm reviewing Evening Primrose Oil as a supplement taken daily.

I read good things about hormonal acne and primrose oil online so I decided to give it a go. I am currently on birth control pills (orsythia) to help with my acne, but I still had monthly breakouts around my period. My dermatologist prescribed me spironolactone to help with this, but I never saw much of a difference and I had to get my blood drawn every 6 months for it, so I discontinued.
So I picked up primrose oil supplements at my local CVS and took one capsule daily (1000mg), and didn't see much of a difference. After a week I saw that you could take up to 2000mg a day, so I upped my dosage and saw AMAZING results! Literally the next day half of my hormonal breakout on my cheek was gone. While I'm still not 100% clear, this is definitely helping with my hormonal acne, and it's been helping my PMS symptoms as an added bonus!

Hi there! I starting using evening primrose oil to treat my acne around two months ago. I read lots of reviews online and all in all they were very positive.
So briefly my skin history- I am 26 years old, female. I started to get spots in my teens, around 14 years old. My skin was inflamed with cystic acne. I was recommended topical treatments from the doctor. These worked for a short time but my skin got used to the ingredients. I was put on the contraceptive pill- dianette. I had appointments with a dermatologist who recommend roaccacitine. After reading the side effects I decided not to take this medicine. I struggled by over the next few years just taking dianette- probably for much longer than is recommended.
Over the years my skin has improved but it's never as clear as I would like. I have some scaring and always around 4/5 spots. I am currently on a regular contraceptive pill as I couldn't continue taking dianette anymore due to the associated health risks.
I started working for one of the Estée launder companies two years ago. Finally- I thought! I'll be able to buy all the skin care I need at a discount. There are some great products out there. To list a few-
Clinique anti blemish range.
Aveda outer peace foaming wash and blemish pads.
Estée Lauder enlighten serum.
However I always knew my blemishes were due to internal hormone imbalance- not a poor skin care routine. So I did some research online to discover EPO. I brought some capsuals containing EPO and vitamin E. These are the boots (UK) own brand. I orally take two 500mg capsuals a day in the morning. Then at night after cleansing my skin I apply the oil from one 500mg capsule to my skin ( I just cut the capsual open so the oil stays fresh). I apply a moisturiser on top ( anti ageing one from Clinique). I sleep with this on and wash my face again in the morning. Do not wear the oil during the day as your make up will slide off! Skin application is only suitable for night time...

The results- Amazing!!!!!

By applying EPO to my skin-
A more even in tone with zero redness. My pores feel tighter.
Radiance.
I have had barely any spots (if I have then they have been tiny and come right to the surface. A quick squeeze and they gone the next day.)
Feels soft and hydrated.
I have received comments from people saying I have good skin!! This is a comment I never thought I would hear :D

Oral consumption-
Less to no spots before and during my period.
Less spots around my jawline and chin.

I would highly recommend this cheep and effective treatment!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Reviewing this as a topical skincare product.

I have very complicated skin and it drives me crazy, especially in the winter. It's dry, sensitive, prone to redness and acne with pores that clog at the drop of a hat. I literally have to look at a conventional moisturiser and my pores start clogging. I had some success with jojoba oil in the past but it ended up triggering mild but annoying seborrheic dermatitis around my nose and eyes. I read about the different levels of oleic acid and linoleic acid in oils and how that effects different skin types and chose EPO because of the high linoleic acid content and inoffensive smell. So glad I did. My skin is looking and feeling amazing, the dryness has totally vanished, the redness that I thought might be the start of roseacea is gone, it's plumper, clearer and best of all stubborn clogged pores that wouldn't clear even with extractions and glycolic peels are disappearing. I bought a high quality, organic 100% EPO in a bottle with a dropper, I love how light it is and it goes onto my skin really smoothly. As it's still winter I'm currently using it to remove my make up and as a moisturiser, really happy with the results.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This review is for the topical application of the evening primrose oil from Garden of Wisdom.

For reference, I have dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin. I originally tried evening primrose oil as I had heard good things about it, but unfortunately I haven't seen any noticeable difference in my skin (good or bad) from using nearly an ounce of this product. I also haven't gotten used to the musty salt smell which is frankly, somewhat reminiscent of urine to me. It's not quite as fast-absorbing as rosehip seed or argan oil, similar in texture to avocado oil.

I use oils as a second layer over my regular moisturizer and this is as effective as any other in locking the moisture in. I did try it for makeup removal and it was effective enough but again not any more effective than others. I also read that some people use it for the treatment of eczema, and gave it a shot on some eczema patches. There wasn't any difference (save for what any oil would provide) for me after nearly a week of use.

Overall, this is a decent enough reasonably priced oil but it isn't at the top of my list for any of the tasks I use oil for (skin, makeup removal, hair, cuticles) and it has an unpleasant, albeit faint, smell.