image 1image 2image 3

3.7

Price: $

Price: $

3.75 ☆
Glycerin is real good for my dehydrated skin. However sometimes I get some tiny bumps after applying it. Face feels real soft after using it. The first time I applied it, my scars faded about 20% and my face was brighter! I was quite surprised but subsequent applications not so much.

Uses:
I usually use it as a mask, applying it 4:1 glycerin:water and leave it on for max 30 mins. Sometimes I guess it's too concentrated, it will have tiny droplets on your skin and it feels sticky.

For daily use I'll apply 1:1 glycerin:water and apply after washing my face.

Apply 4:1 glycerin:water and slab on a thick layer of aloe gel and leave on for 30 mins.

Apply 1:1 glycerin:water and a thin layer of Vaseline to seal the moisture

Downside: sticky after feeling, tiny bumps (for me so I only do it occasionally)

Btw I agree with a reviewer regarding the humidity level. Not so advisable if the air is less humid. It does the reverse.

on 12/2/2015 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I think knowing how to use this in the right way is key, like many others mentioned already. When I first started getting into green & clean beauty, I purchased a bottle of vegetable glycerin but didn't know what the heck it was for (lack of research on my part!) --- it had been sitting in my bathroom cabinet ever since, until last week.

I have dry, dehydrated skin that always feels tight, so I resorted to using mixture of heavy creams and oils. This seemed to do the job of keeping my skin looking dewy and glowy, but after a few hours my skin would still feel tight and dehydrated on the inside. I went through so many moisturizers that will properly hydrate my skin. I believed that I found a couple that work for me, but frequent small breakouts and blackheads made me wonder that maybe I'm overloading my pores with too much product and doing more harm than good by putting my skin out of balance. I thought, I should try using the "less is more" approach----less oil and less product.

I was watching a show on tv with my mom and it was talking about making a DIY toner using glycerin. I remembered that I had a bottle somewhere in my cabinet, so I mixed a couple drops of rosewater, one drop of rosehip oil, and one drop of glycerin in the palm of my hand, and gently pat the watery mixture on freshly washed face. Holy cow, my skin had never felt this plump and hydrated in years!!! I felt like I somehow reversed my skin's condition back to high school days when I had young, naturally plump skin. Even when I wake up in the morning, my skin looks glowy and amazing, whereas when I was using heavy creams I still woke up with my face feeling dry and tight. I still cannot believe this small amount of thin, watery mixture is enough to fully hydrate my face overnight and over the course of my day. And so dirt cheap too!!! I hope this isn't just my feeling, but because I'm not slathering something heavy anymore, my pores seem much clearer and I haven't broken out.

Now I have an empty spray bottle filled with 8 parts rosewater and 2 parts glycerin, and I spritz it EVERYWERE: my hair, my body before I put on body lotions, my face mixed with rosehip oil, etc. And although it's only been a week since I changed to this routine, I think my skin is becoming more balanced and youthful day by day. Will not look back to anything else!!! I purchased mine from iherb.com, where you can get $10 off your order using code YEW608.

To Read all 163 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/3/2014 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

My skin: not too dry, not oily, no acne or sensitivity. It's winter now and skin is leaning toward dry.
What I wanted: something to apply at night that would hydrate, plump and refresh my skin. Tired of waking up with dry-ish, crinkly skin around my eyes and forehead. Tried a few finished products, night creams, etc. Didn't like them.
(during the day I use a custom blend of roséhip seed oil/argan oil/vitamin e oil/carrot seed essential oil as my moisturizer, and I love it)
I've started using 100% organic veg glycerin and water mixture on bare skin after cleansing at night. Ratio is 4:1 water/glycerin. Sometimes I cover with a layer of cocoa butter as to create an occlusive barrier, other times I apply it with some coconut oil. Also, when I'm taking a shower but not cleansing my face, occasionally I'll apply the glycerin/water to my face and neck before hopping in.

The feel of glycerin on the skin is amazing. I can't describe it, it just feels moist and the skin feels plump. So far, so good. It's also working wonders on my nails!
I'll update this review after some time goes by.
***I should add that the first time I used the glycerin/water mix, it burned my cheeks. I was using a cotton pad and trying to remove make up with it. I've lessened the amount of glycerin in the mix, and don't use cotton any longer, and I've not had the irritation since.***

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

My porcelain-white skinned daughter got a horrible sunburn yesterday. I needed to get moisture on her skin pronto, but her face & shoulders were burned so badly that I was afraid even a gently applied coating of one of my moisturizers would sting (then be nearly impossible to remove without further damaging her skin & adding to her pain). I squeezed some fresh aloe vera gel from the plant on the kitchen windowsill, but she wouldn't let me near her with that "stinky, gross, green" stuff.

Then I remembered my science-y son had a bottle of glycerin for chemistry experiments! I figured if it was an ingredient in most lotions, it might help rehydrate her burned areas without irritation. A quick read of the label confirmed that it was, indeed, a moisturizer.

I mixed up a solution of 50% glycerin & 50% water (because that's what the glycerin label said to do) in a small bowl. No stink. Not goo. Crystal clear. She was good with it. So I soaked a cotton ball in it, put a towel under my sweet girl & gently dabbed it on. Not only did it not sting, she said it felt "so good.".

Thanks to that ONE application of the glycerin mix & some Advil she slept through the night peacefully (shirtless & on a soft fleece blanket). Amazing.

Even more amazing though, is that the redness was 90% GONE this morning! (And she said her skin didn't hurt anymore)!

WOW!!!

(And it only cost about $4.00/bottle)!?!

HG status!

on 6/19/2014 12:50:00 PM

"Glycerin (aka, glycerine or glycerol) is a commonly used ingredient in many cosmetic and personal care skin care products. Yet it also an ingredient that stirs up quite a bit of debate. Glycerin is a humectant that can be naturally derived from plant oils, or it can also be synthetically produced. As a humectant, glycerin works to moisturize the skin by drawing water from the air into the skin's outer layer. It also forms a protective layer that helps prevent moisture loss. However, the moisturizing effects of glycerin are dependent upon the climate — if the air has less than 65% humidity, glycerin will draw moisture from the lower layers of the skin and hold it on the surface, drying the skin from the inside out. Another drawback is that products formulated with high levels of humectants such as glycerin will leave a tacky feel on the skin."

on 6/6/2014 8:44:00 AM

I bought africare 100% glycerine. I took a small spray bottle and filled 1/4 glycerine to 3/4 water. I spritz my face with it while I washing with a mild soap and it allows the soap to clean without drying out my skin. My skin doesn't agree with the moisturizers on the market, so this really has been a godsend for me. It's very sticky by itself, which is why you have to dilute it with water. It lasts forever and it's very inexpensive.

on 5/29/2014 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Glycerin makes my skin drier, the way hyaluaronic acid does. Glycerin is a syrupy liquid that is chemically produced by combining water and fat. It is used as a solvent! Unless the humidity of air is over 65%, glycerin draws moisture from the lower layers of the skin and holds it on the surface, drying the skin from the inside out.
The result? Chronically dehydrated skin.
I live in the northern region of Canada. Here, the humidity isn't sufficient enough and so glycerin *destroys* my skin.
And now you know.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Excellent moisturiser or humectant (attracts moisture to itself). Great added to water in a spray bottle for a face, hair and body mist in winter.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

makes my hands feel soft and this is the best product for freezy hair! highly recommended!

on 3/18/2014 1:11:00 PM

I've been looking for a moisturizer that won't clog my pores or break me out for years. I went to acne.org and looked at their list of comedogenic ratings: glycerin has a 0, i.e., it cannot clog your pores (people who are breaking out are either purging, or might be allergic to the product). After cleansing with a Neutrogena face wash I use a couple drops of this (undiliuted) and apply it to my face. Yes, it is sticky, and until it dries, your face will be a bit shiny. However, I find that with glycerin my face feels adaquetly moisturized and doesn't dry out or turn into an oilslick throughout the day. I've been using a 4oz bottle for the past 6months and my skin doesn't get as oily as it used to and my breakouts have lessened. Also, I think the stickiness helps with makeup application. It's a good value because you don't really need that much, and by only using glycerin as a moisturizer, you're limiting your exposure to other chemicals.