Finacea Gel

Finacea Gel

Each gram of FINACEA Gel, 15%, contains 0.15 gm azelaic acid (15% w/w) as the active ingredient in an aqueous gel base containing benzoic acid (as a preservative), disodium-EDTA, lecithin, medium-chain triglycerides, polyacrylic acid, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sodium hydroxide to adjust pH

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've used this off and on over the years. I like it enough that I repurchase, but I don't love it enough to use consistently.

I initially bought Finacea because it is prescribed for rosacea patients. I myself have rosacea. This doesn't do anything for broken capillaries. No topical product would. But I like that it doesn't further irritate my super sensitive skin. Finacea has a bleaching effect. So unlike retinoids or alpha hydroxy acids, it's not an anti-aging product. It will not slough off dead skin cells. I still need a chemical exfoliator to give my skin a plastic-y, polished look. Finacea just seems to help more so with the aftermath of having acne. It bleaches the scars quicker than glycolic acid seems to exfoliate them off.

THIS IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO BENZOYL PEROXIDE. BP just burns my skin, dries it out, and turns my rosacea beet red. (Note: Both ingredients are phototoxic so you will need a sunscreen but sunscreen is vital in EVERY skincare regime.)I haven't experienced any itching. Some do, but I imagine that's still better than a burning sensation other options give to those with sensitive skin.

I'm editing to add: You can use this with alpha hydroxy acids. An AHA will actually speed up what alzelaic acid does so that works perfectly. If you find the duo too intense then just alternate nights.

on 3/10/2016 6:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have suffered from acne since I was 13 years old. Throughout the years I have experimented with countless of topical gels and treatments and Finacea is the only one that has actually worked for me. I have now gone through 3 tubes and occasionally stopped to test its effectiveness. Without it being part of my skincare regime, I tend to get big sore and inflamed cystic acne all over my forehead and jaw along with smaller pimples. Whereas, when I use Finacea my skin is 90% better and even my complexion seems more even and calm. Finacea has now become one of my HG products that I cannot live without and I would definitely recommend it.

It took me 10 years of testing different products to find the skincare regime that works for me and keeps my acne at bay. Everyone's skin is different so what works for me won't work for everyone but the products I would personally recommend for acne prone combination skin that tends to get breakouts in the t-zone and has issues with dryness and complexion looking flushed are : Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Cleaninsing Oil, Finacea, Formula 10.0.6 Breakout Calming Mask, Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Lush Skin's Shangri La (for winter) and Biotherm Skin Best Day Cream (for summer).

To Read all 123 Reviews, Login or Join

I was prescribed the 15% azelaic cream aka finacea by my dermatologist three months ago for cystic acne. In three months, I have seen a reduction in the number of breakouts. I no longer get the deep, painful cysts although i still get minor pimples now and then. I use it twice a day, after cleansing my face. I like that it goes on matte and can easily be worn under makeup. My only complaint is the price. After insurance, it still costs me $35. I also wish it did more to fade the red marks and scars left over from breakouts.

Finacea gel rocks
I am using it right now for 3 weeks once a day, sometimes twice a day.
The first time i used it at night, i noticed results immediately.
The open pores on my nose closed up quite significantly in the morning.
Having tried more aggressive lasers (and expensive) to fix my open pores, Finacea did the same job at the fraction of the cost.
Also, the small pimples on my forehead disappeared. I hardly get pimples but this was a nice surprise.

My skin tolerated it well and almost hardly have any sting.

Fortunately, I am in Australia, I get it for under AUD$30 for 30g without a prescription.
I am no longer seeing a dermatologist, was looking for a hydroquinone alternative when my skin lightener with hydroquinone ran out.
It is only proven to work for acne and rosea and not proven for lightening.
I decided to try it after the many helpful reviews here on makeup alley and it exceeded my expectation.

I am really fond of the texture, it is quite elegantly forumulated.
Best is that when it dries, there is no oily sticky feeling, it dries matte.
Easy to layer other skin care products like my serums, moisturiser & sunscreen.

In terms of lightening, it isn't the best.
Hydroquinone still works better.

I do notice some "purging" mentioned by other reviewers.
Not sure if they are milia seeds or pimples though.

Overall, Finacea helps to clear my skin, even skin tone and shrink the open pores (especially those on the nose). i used to have really oily skin and acne when i was younger, taking roaccutane help curb the acne/pimples. Finacea really helps with my whiteheads/comedones.

For those overseas, i think you can buy Finacea Gel from any of the online pharmacies here in Australia. I am surprised it costs so much overseas.

ps: i do not own shares in the company or work for them.
This is my honest opinion. My first on makeup alley.
Hope this helps you guys.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Finacea has been my best friend since I hit perimenopause a few years ago. The hormonal changes have caused my rosacea to flare up tremendously if I'm not careful with my triggers. The result is those dreaded pustules and papules.

A dermatologist prescribed Finacea for me and it works wonders on those red bumps. It takes time for it to do its job as I tend to get some pretty nasty p&p's and yes, it is drying but effective.

If I'm experiencing a bad flare up and know that I'll get a big red pustule or papule, I'll use Finacea in combination with clindoxyl gel at night. I'll use Metrogel in the morning (without the Finacea).

My bathroom looks like a mini pharmacy and there are times when I think I'm going through adolescence again with skin issues and hormonal changes. I truly hope when my hormones are settled in however many years time, my skin will be 'normal'. In the meantime, Finacea will be in my skin care arsenal as I cannot live without it.
The cost in Canada is around $40 without extended health insurance.

I don't use it for hyper pigmentation so I can't comment on the effectiveness for that.

As always, YMMV and fortunately, this stuff works wonders for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is awesome stuff! Treated my acne from make up. I was feelin hopeless and my benzoyl peroxide gel plus salicylic acid plus glycolic acid routine are becoming futile to my immuned acne. So it was time to introduce a new drug . The azelaic acid was amazing! It's like a primer and it doesnt ball up or peel off. I love love it. It gives off a slight tingly itchy feel which annoys me sometimes but you gotta know when the drug is working hey. So yeah! If you ever feel that your skin is used to BP , SA, or glycolic acid or even retinol , TRY THIS!

on 9/8/2015 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've been very pleased with this stuff. I've been using it for only three weeks now, applying it twice a day. I also use a 4% benzoyl peroxide face wash (Spectro Acne Care) twice a day. I asked my doctor for this prescription after I developed a itchy red neck rash a few months into using Tactuo (Epiduo), and then perioral dermatitis from the cortisone cream for the rash.

I've had problems with retinoid topicals a few times before. They do great things for my acne, but after a few months my skin just gets so irritated I can't tolerate them--I end up with acne free skin that is bright red, painful, and flaky despite constant gentle exfoliation.

I'm in my late thirties with mild to moderate but persistent adult acne that just never went away after adolescence. Through the years I've tried most of what's out there on one occasion or another.

Anyway, once the dermatitis cleared up I asked for Finacea based on internet research. Apparently it's been studied in people like me--adult women who tolerate retinoids poorly--and it's been shown to be as good as Retin A for acne. That's definitely been the case for me.

I have primarily comeodonal acne--bumpy skin, clogged pores, with a few inflammatory lesions and the occasional chin cyst. The Finacea has really helped to clear my pores up, which I think heads off the inflammatory acne as well. The improvement has been a bit slow, and it can be itchy for a few minutes after application, but it settles and certainly it's no worse than retinoids which I found so painful. I put moisturizer on underneath it (with SPF in the days, and a few drops of jojoba oil at night), and it's got a texture that wears well during the day and can accept a layer of makeup overtop if you want. My old acne scars are slowly fading too. Honestly my skin hasn't looked this good since...I can't remember when. If you can't tolerate retinoids, but need a topical that will clear up pore congestion, this stuff is definitely worth trying.

Update after three months of use:
Finacea is still working well for my acne, and it's even less irritating to my skin than it was at first. The initial itchiness has completely subsided. My skin is smoother, no longer bumpy from congested pores, and a sunspot on my cheek is definitely fading over time too. My skin isn't perfect, but I know that's not a reasonable goal--but it's probably 90% better with Finacea than without treatment. What's left is what I'd consider minor monthly hormonal breakouts, a few pimples each cycle, which is tolerable. I can go without makeup without being embarrassed of my skin, and that is what matters. I still do use the benzoyl peroxide wash along with it. Still a highly recommended product.

Nine months later:
An HG product. My skin is 95% clear, smooth and glowing, and all my various old scars and sun spots are barely visible at all. This stuff is amazing. I actually have really great skin now with just an occasional random pimple now and then. I only use it at night now, along with my benzoyl peroxide wash and a light moisturizer.

on 8/1/2015 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

Works fast and you can put moisturizer and makeup over it, after it dries. Cost 300.00, but with insurance my co pay is 39.00. Seems to change the surface of your skin and my skin is smoother as well as redness reduced in the first week...

I think some people may be having a reaction if they use products like a toners as that can cause burning. Just wash face and dry, apply Finacea , let dry about 10 minutes, apply moisturizer and makeup and you are good to go.

Never rub skin or use scrubs while using this product.

on 7/14/2015 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a prescription topical medication. A dermatologist has to prescribe this for you.

PROS:

Azelaic acid is the active ingredient and it really works. It stops the growth of bacteria that cause acne. With regular use, it unclogs pores, eliminates blackheads, and can reduce redness associated with zits. It is prescribed for mild to moderate acne. It improves texture. Sometimes dermatologists prescribe it for people with rosacea to smooth out the surface of the skin.

I love the Finacea gel base. It doesn't smell or feel like alcohol, the way Metrogel does. A well-formulated gel base is preferable to waxy cream bases when fighting acne. Creams never work as well for me - they seem to clog the pores they're supposed to clear.

It's strong and effective.

If my skin is in a calm state (no inflammation from dermatitis), this does not trigger any flare-ups or cause irritation at all.

CONS:

If your skin is already red from an inflammatory condition (rash, hives, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, sunburn), this can cause tingling or itching.

You have to get a doctor's prescription for it.

Expensive if you buy the name brand and if your insurance won't help cover it - roughly $275. I was unable to find a generic for Finacea gel.

It works beautifully but may be too strong for some people. It may dry you out and cause flaking if you use it every day for weeks.

This is not necessarily a solution for everyone. Something that does have a generic that also fights acne is Cleocin T gel. It contains the antibiotic clindamycin, which is an effective topical treatment that also stops acne-causing bacteria. I have used it off and on for years. It can dry you out, but most acne treatments do. The brand name Cleocin T gel is somewhere around $70 but the generic is around $30. Unfortunately you need a prescription for that, too.

When I'm using any prescription topical medication, I try not to go overboard with other skin care products. I use a gentle cleanser, maybe a gentle toner, and forgo "treatments" from other brands. This reduces the risk of having a bad reaction.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I was prescribed this a few years ago after being misdiagnosed with Rosacea. My skin barrier had been majorly screwed up and was imitating some common Rosacea symptoms as a result (flushing, redness, irritation bumps). My insurance would not cover it, so I ended up ordering from Australia for around $30.

Unfortunately this was way too irritating and drying for me, even though I have extremely oily skin and waited to test it until my skin had healed. I used it every other night. The stinging never seemed to stop and time did not change that. I'm bummed that it's not an option for me now that I'm having acne problems again, but glad that this works for some people.