Finacea Gel

Finacea Gel
Finacea

Each gram of FINACEA Gel, 15%, contains 0.15 gm azelaic acid (15% w/w) as the active ingredient in an aqueous gel base containing benzoic acid (as a preservative), disodium-EDTA, lecithin, medium-chain triglycerides, polyacrylic acid, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sodium hydroxide to adjust pH

on 2/7/2018 10:45:00 AM

It didn't work any miracles or anything but I do feel like it definitely has helped my skin and I really like how easy it is to rub in and how quickly it absorbs. However, I will not be repurchasing because I got these as a sample and I don't want to pay for the real thing since it's so expensive.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I've been using Finacea for two months now, so figured it was time to do a review. My skin is annoyingly combination, dry on the cheeks, rosacea-prone, rosy (okay... red) and with mild acne. I was hoping to reduce some of my rosacea bumps.

Some top tips for using Finacea:
1. Start by applying a half-blueberry blog on alternate days, at night, mixed with lotion. Give your skin a day to react. If it isn't screaming, increase the dosage and frequency.
2. Do NOT apply to damp skin
3. Really, do NOT apply to damp skin or it will itch. Wait at least 10 minutes.
4. Don't apply before taking a shower. Oww.
5. Apply your moisturiser before the Finacea - it won't impact absorption and minimises irritation, according to this article (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19363903s)
6. Use a lot of humectants while your skin is adjusting

Here was my experience:
* Day 1: Finacea causes stinging then itchiness for an hour
* Day 4: My face is peeling off! Will reduce down to every-other-day application and try washing + 10 min wait + Hyladmide Serum + moisturiser + 5 min wait + Finacea + 5 min wait.
* Day 5: Face is also purging and still peeling (and drinking up loooooads of moisturiser), but no stinging, and itches less if apply moisturiser and let skin dry
* Day 6: Still red and peeling, but the bumps are reducing. Soaking up moisturiser faster than Mom can down a margarita. If that was a purge it was short - but I have been Adapalene for eons, so perhaps there's not much left to purge.
* Day 7: Peeling reduced to a bit around the nose, but texture back to normal. No longer feel like an orange peel.
* Day 8: Peeling has finally stopped, so can wear foundation for the first time in a week. Still redder than usual, but calming down, may wear foundation. Colleagues are by this point convinced that I have a strange tropical disease and are avoiding me. Humectants are good, very good.
* Still Day 8: Definitely a mistake to wear foundation, I have serious cake-face. The peeling has stopped by my skin is still very dry and flakey. Need more moisturiser.
* Day 10: My forehead is shiny again. Welcome back to my annoying combination skin.
* Day 12: Hmm, my skin is kinda pretty and smooth. I could live with this.

Overall, I'm thrilled. The initial dating period wasn't easy, but we're now going steady. I've now started alternating Finacea with The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% in the morning, which seems to keep me nice and glowing, to the point where I've stopped wearing foundation. I haven't had any new pimples since starting Finacea!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

my skin changed dramatically a few years ago, bright red, swollen, bumpy, dry and oily at the same time. Was diagnosed with rosacea. Tried a bunch of things and nothing worked until I used finacea, morning and at night. Everything cleared up. It is pretty amazing. Have been repurchasing for a few years now, don't think I can really get by without it, the rosacea comes right back any time I stop using it.

on 8/22/2017 2:34:00 AM

I love this stuff!! I wish I used it years ago instead of tazorac/ retin a. I got great results from tazorac in keeping my.pores clear as I have oily skin but I always had some peeling and dryness. I requested to my dr to switch me to finacea because I heard it's gentler and is good for pigmentation and it has antibacterial properties to help keep pores clear. Even though I used tazorac for a couple years I still had a little purging with this but it was just a tiny whithead you could barely see and they were gone within a day. After a couple weeks my skin looked clear, bright and even toned. It did itch a little when I first started using it but it only lasted 20 min or so. I use it twice a day and in the morning I follow with a moisturizer and my.makeup goes on great and it keeps oil at bay. In the evening I just wash with skin medica facial cleanser and wait 10 min and apply finacea with no moisturizer. I have had no peeling at all, pores are smaller and skin is so soft, I love this stuff and highly recommend to anyone with sensitive skin that is oily and prone to clogging. I prefer this over any retinoid and I have tried them all through the years.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the only cream that helps to clear my face from pimples or rashes . Calms the skin within 2-3 days, a bit drying so use some moisturizer on top.

on 2/10/2017 10:39:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I have never had acne in my life and I'm 50 years old, I was very blessed with flawless skin but about 4 months ago I started to get a little acne breakouts, so I tried almost everything on the market for adult acne, nothing seemed to help me at all. So lately it got worse and worse, I didn't want to go outside at all, so my daughter said that I should really see a doctor about the breakouts. I did and went to a Derm. who gave me some acne pills and no cream at all, just told me to use the pills and some extra gentle face wash, no luck only worst. I went to yet another derm doctor and she looked at my face and quickly gave me a prescription for some more pills but yet a stronger dose and gave me Finacea 15% Foam, and this stuff is pretty pricey. I started not to fill the prescription just because of the price, I was so lucky because this product is priced at about $275 but with my insurance I only had to pay $20, so I bought it! I have a lot of acne marks and redness by now, she also gave me Desonide for the redness, let me tell you these two medications are miracle drugs in about 3 days I saw so much of a difference and my marks were fading so much. Some people say that it stings and burns when they apply it to their face, but with me I felt no burning at all. I used this every morning and night with CerVa or Cetaphil cleanser and then applied the foam and i am good to go. Don't listen to what other people say about the medication if they say that it's not good, everyone has different skin, what works for one may work even better for the other one, try it if your insurance pays part of it it's the bomb!! Right now I am still on the pills which I take every morning and I still use the foam when I have a breakout and it's great, all my redness and marks have disappeared, this medication must have some sort of bleaching agent in it because I have no scars at all now. would I buy this again, YES, I'm going to get another prescription just to have this on hand, and it's not sticky and has no smell to it. This foam is a bit drying so you have to use a good moisturizer with it, but besides that the good weighs out the bad, Please give it a chance.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Very expensive, but Azelaic acid acts in part by inhibiting the growth of acne-causing bacteria, such as Propionibacterium acnes. It also works on the cells that line hair follicles by changing the way they mature and proliferate, which decreases follicular ‘plugging’ and helps prevent blackheads, whiteheads, and inflamed acne lesions. In cases of hyper-pigmentation, azelaic acid appears to selectively target hyperactive melanocytes [pigment-producing cells], while having little effect on normal melanocytes. For this reason it is a treatment of choice for hyper-pigmentation in patients of all skin types,” says Dr. Lortscher. A normalization of keratinization leading to an anticomedonal effect of azelaic acid may also contribute to its clinical activity. Electron microscopic and immuno-histochemical evaluation of skin biopsies from human subjects treated with AZELEX cream demonstrated a reduction in the thickness of the stratum corneum, a reduction in number and size of keratohyalin granules, and a reduction in the amount and distribution of filaggrin (a protein component of keratohyalin) in epidermal layers. This is suggestive of the ability to decrease microcomedo formation.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've used this off and on over the years. I like it enough that I repurchase, but I don't love it enough to use consistently.

I initially bought Finacea because it is prescribed for rosacea patients. I myself have rosacea. This doesn't do anything for broken capillaries. No topical product would. But I like that it doesn't further irritate my super sensitive skin. Finacea has a bleaching effect. So unlike retinoids or alpha hydroxy acids, it's not an anti-aging product. It will not slough off dead skin cells. I still need a chemical exfoliator to give my skin a plastic-y, polished look. Finacea just seems to help more so with the aftermath of having acne. It bleaches the scars quicker than glycolic acid seems to exfoliate them off.

THIS IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO BENZOYL PEROXIDE. BP just burns my skin, dries it out, and turns my rosacea beet red. (Note: Both ingredients are phototoxic so you will need a sunscreen but sunscreen is vital in EVERY skincare regime.)I haven't experienced any itching. Some do, but I imagine that's still better than a burning sensation other options give to those with sensitive skin.

I'm editing to add: You can use this with alpha hydroxy acids. An AHA will actually speed up what alzelaic acid does so that works perfectly. If you find the duo too intense then just alternate nights.

on 3/10/2016 6:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have suffered from acne since I was 13 years old. Throughout the years I have experimented with countless of topical gels and treatments, and Finacea is the only one that actually works for me. I have now gone through 3 tubes, and I have occasionally stopped to test its effectiveness. Without Finacea, I tend to get big sore and inflamed cystic acne all over my forehead and jaw along with smaller pimples. Whereas, when I use Finacea my skin is 90% better and even my complexion seems more even and calm. Finacea has now become one of my HG products that I cannot live without and I would definitely recommend it.

I was prescribed the 15% azelaic cream aka finacea by my dermatologist three months ago for cystic acne. In three months, I have seen a reduction in the number of breakouts. I no longer get the deep, painful cysts although i still get minor pimples now and then. I use it twice a day, after cleansing my face. I like that it goes on matte and can easily be worn under makeup. My only complaint is the price. After insurance, it still costs me $35. I also wish it did more to fade the red marks and scars left over from breakouts.