Finacea Gel

Finacea Gel
Finacea

Each gram of FINACEA Gel, 15%, contains 0.15 gm azelaic acid (15% w/w) as the active ingredient in an aqueous gel base containing benzoic acid (as a preservative), disodium-EDTA, lecithin, medium-chain triglycerides, polyacrylic acid, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sodium hydroxide to adjust pH

on 8/22/2017 2:34:00 AM

I love this stuff!! I wish I used it years ago instead of tazorac/ retin a. I got great results from tazorac in keeping my.pores clear as I have oily skin but I always had some peeling and dryness. I requested to my dr to switch me to finacea because I heard it's gentler and is good for pigmentation and it has antibacterial properties to help keep pores clear. Even though I used tazorac for a couple years I still had a little purging with this but it was just a tiny whithead you could barely see and they were gone within a day. After a couple weeks my skin looked clear, bright and even toned. It did itch a little when I first started using it but it only lasted 20 min or so. I use it twice a day and in the morning I follow with a moisturizer and my.makeup goes on great and it keeps oil at bay. In the evening I just wash with skin medica facial cleanser and wait 10 min and apply finacea with no moisturizer. I have had no peeling at all, pores are smaller and skin is so soft, I love this stuff and highly recommend to anyone with sensitive skin that is oily and prone to clogging. I prefer this over any retinoid and I have tried them all through the years.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the only cream that helps to clear my face from pimples or rashes . Calms the skin within 2-3 days, a bit drying so use some moisturizer on top.

on 3/10/2016 6:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have suffered from acne since I was 13 years old. Throughout the years I have experimented with countless of topical gels and treatments and Finacea is the only one that has actually worked for me. I have now gone through 3 tubes and occasionally stopped to test its effectiveness. Without it being part of my skincare regime, I tend to get big sore and inflamed cystic acne all over my forehead and jaw along with smaller pimples. Whereas, when I use Finacea my skin is 90% better and even my complexion seems more even and calm. Finacea has now become one of my HG products that I cannot live without and I would definitely recommend it.

It took me 10 years of testing different products to find the skincare regime that works for me and keeps my acne at bay. Everyone's skin is different so what works for me won't work for everyone but the products I would personally recommend for acne prone combination skin that tends to get breakouts in the t-zone and has issues with dryness and complexion looking flushed are : Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Cleaninsing Oil, Finacea, Formula 10.0.6 Breakout Calming Mask, Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Lush Skin's Shangri La (for winter) and Biotherm Skin Best Day Cream (for summer).

on 2/10/2017 10:39:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I have never had acne in my life and I'm 50 years old, I was very blessed with flawless skin but about 4 months ago I started to get a little acne breakouts, so I tried almost everything on the market for adult acne, nothing seemed to help me at all. So lately it got worse and worse, I didn't want to go outside at all, so my daughter said that I should really see a doctor about the breakouts. I did and went to a Derm. who gave me some acne pills and no cream at all, just told me to use the pills and some extra gentle face wash, no luck only worst. I went to yet another derm doctor and she looked at my face and quickly gave me a prescription for some more pills but yet a stronger dose and gave me Finacea 15% Foam, and this stuff is pretty pricey. I started not to fill the prescription just because of the price, I was so lucky because this product is priced at about $275 but with my insurance I only had to pay $20, so I bought it! I have a lot of acne marks and redness by now, she also gave me Desonide for the redness, let me tell you these two medications are miracle drugs in about 3 days I saw so much of a difference and my marks were fading so much. Some people say that it stings and burns when they apply it to their face, but with me I felt no burning at all. I used this every morning and night with CerVa or Cetaphil cleanser and then applied the foam and i am good to go. Don't listen to what other people say about the medication if they say that it's not good, everyone has different skin, what works for one may work even better for the other one, try it if your insurance pays part of it it's the bomb!! Right now I am still on the pills which I take every morning and I still use the foam when I have a breakout and it's great, all my redness and marks have disappeared, this medication must have some sort of bleaching agent in it because I have no scars at all now. would I buy this again, YES, I'm going to get another prescription just to have this on hand, and it's not sticky and has no smell to it. This foam is a bit drying so you have to use a good moisturizer with it, but besides that the good weighs out the bad, Please give it a chance.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've used this off and on over the years. I like it enough that I repurchase, but I don't love it enough to use consistently.

I initially bought Finacea because it is prescribed for rosacea patients. I myself have rosacea. This doesn't do anything for broken capillaries. No topical product would. But I like that it doesn't further irritate my super sensitive skin. Finacea has a bleaching effect. So unlike retinoids or alpha hydroxy acids, it's not an anti-aging product. It will not slough off dead skin cells. I still need a chemical exfoliator to give my skin a plastic-y, polished look. Finacea just seems to help more so with the aftermath of having acne. It bleaches the scars quicker than glycolic acid seems to exfoliate them off.

THIS IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO BENZOYL PEROXIDE. BP just burns my skin, dries it out, and turns my rosacea beet red. (Note: Both ingredients are phototoxic so you will need a sunscreen but sunscreen is vital in EVERY skincare regime.)I haven't experienced any itching. Some do, but I imagine that's still better than a burning sensation other options give to those with sensitive skin.

I'm editing to add: You can use this with alpha hydroxy acids. An AHA will actually speed up what alzelaic acid does so that works perfectly. If you find the duo too intense then just alternate nights.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Very expensive, but Azelaic acid acts in part by inhibiting the growth of acne-causing bacteria, such as Propionibacterium acnes. It also works on the cells that line hair follicles by changing the way they mature and proliferate, which decreases follicular ‘plugging’ and helps prevent blackheads, whiteheads, and inflamed acne lesions. In cases of hyper-pigmentation, azelaic acid appears to selectively target hyperactive melanocytes [pigment-producing cells], while having little effect on normal melanocytes. For this reason it is a treatment of choice for hyper-pigmentation in patients of all skin types,” says Dr. Lortscher. A normalization of keratinization leading to an anticomedonal effect of azelaic acid may also contribute to its clinical activity. Electron microscopic and immuno-histochemical evaluation of skin biopsies from human subjects treated with AZELEX cream demonstrated a reduction in the thickness of the stratum corneum, a reduction in number and size of keratohyalin granules, and a reduction in the amount and distribution of filaggrin (a protein component of keratohyalin) in epidermal layers. This is suggestive of the ability to decrease microcomedo formation.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Finacea has been my best friend since I hit perimenopause a few years ago. The hormonal changes have caused my rosacea to flare up tremendously if I'm not careful with my triggers. The result is those dreaded pustules and papules.

A dermatologist prescribed Finacea for me and it works wonders on those red bumps. It takes time for it to do its job as I tend to get some pretty nasty p&p's and yes, it is drying but effective.

If I'm experiencing a bad flare up and know that I'll get a big red pustule or papule, I'll use Finacea in combination with clindoxyl gel at night. I'll use Metrogel in the morning (without the Finacea).

My bathroom looks like a mini pharmacy and there are times when I think I'm going through adolescence again with skin issues and hormonal changes. I truly hope when my hormones are settled in however many years time, my skin will be 'normal'. In the meantime, Finacea will be in my skin care arsenal as I cannot live without it.
The cost in Canada is around $40 without extended health insurance.

I don't use it for hyper pigmentation so I can't comment on the effectiveness for that.

As always, YMMV and fortunately, this stuff works wonders for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is awesome stuff! Treated my acne from make up. I was feelin hopeless and my benzoyl peroxide gel plus salicylic acid plus glycolic acid routine are becoming futile to my immuned acne. So it was time to introduce a new drug . The azelaic acid was amazing! It's like a primer and it doesnt ball up or peel off. I love love it. It gives off a slight tingly itchy feel which annoys me sometimes but you gotta know when the drug is working hey. So yeah! If you ever feel that your skin is used to BP , SA, or glycolic acid or even retinol , TRY THIS!

Finacea gel rocks
I am using it right now for 3 weeks once a day, sometimes twice a day.
The first time i used it at night, i noticed results immediately.
The open pores on my nose closed up quite significantly in the morning.
Having tried more aggressive lasers (and expensive) to fix my open pores, Finacea did the same job at the fraction of the cost.
Also, the small pimples on my forehead disappeared. I hardly get pimples but this was a nice surprise.

My skin tolerated it well and almost hardly have any sting.

Fortunately, I am in Australia, I get it for under AUD$30 for 30g without a prescription.
I am no longer seeing a dermatologist, was looking for a hydroquinone alternative when my skin lightener with hydroquinone ran out.
It is only proven to work for acne and rosea and not proven for lightening.
I decided to try it after the many helpful reviews here on makeup alley and it exceeded my expectation.

I am really fond of the texture, it is quite elegantly forumulated.
Best is that when it dries, there is no oily sticky feeling, it dries matte.
Easy to layer other skin care products like my serums, moisturiser & sunscreen.

In terms of lightening, it isn't the best.
Hydroquinone still works better.

I do notice some "purging" mentioned by other reviewers.
Not sure if they are milia seeds or pimples though.

Overall, Finacea helps to clear my skin, even skin tone and shrink the open pores (especially those on the nose). i used to have really oily skin and acne when i was younger, taking roaccutane help curb the acne/pimples. Finacea really helps with my whiteheads/comedones.

For those overseas, i think you can buy Finacea Gel from any of the online pharmacies here in Australia. I am surprised it costs so much overseas.

ps: i do not own shares in the company or work for them.
This is my honest opinion. My first on makeup alley.
Hope this helps you guys.

I was prescribed the 15% azelaic cream aka finacea by my dermatologist three months ago for cystic acne. In three months, I have seen a reduction in the number of breakouts. I no longer get the deep, painful cysts although i still get minor pimples now and then. I use it twice a day, after cleansing my face. I like that it goes on matte and can easily be worn under makeup. My only complaint is the price. After insurance, it still costs me $35. I also wish it did more to fade the red marks and scars left over from breakouts.