Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

3.9

on 12/8/2013 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Have used this powder since it was first introduced-over 20 years ago. I haven't used it for the last 2.5 years because my skin became sensitized at that time, and I have been afraid to try anything except mineral powder. I actually went for almost a year without being able to use anything. That said, I am ready to try my "magic" again, and hope I get the results I'm used to because it is easily the very BEST loose powder I have ever used, and I have always been a beauty product junkie. It blurs all imperfections on your skin and makes it look flawless. I can't tell you how many people have told me that my skin is-perfect...what foundation do I use. I always said none-- just a little concealer, moisturizing sunscreen, and the Magic Liquid Powder. They never believe me and insist it is just my skin. I always assure them it is DEFINITELY the powder, and it is! I am very fair-skinned with freckles, sagging, fine wrinkles-I'll be 63 in January, and my Mama worked in cosmetics since I was about 8 years old, so I HAVE always taken good care of my skin. However, when I was a young woman-teens through early 30's there was hardly such a thing as a true sunscreen, so I didn't grow up using it. In fact, every time my skin has gotten sensitized, it has been from a chemical sunscreen. So my skin is far from perfect. The Magic Liquid Powder just makes it LOOK somewhat (at my age) flawless. Sometimes when I have purchased it, it was too "wet" when first opened, and I had to leave it open in a safe place until it dried out a little. I love the cooling feeling, but it is the optical diffusers in the powder itself that give you that "flawless" look. There is nothing out there exactly like it! I always use a high-quality powder brush to apply it. If you have never tried this product, by all means try it, unless you have dark skin or are a woman of color. Unfortunately the only type they are currently producing is the original translucent light. Lots of people are begging Prescriptives on their website to start making the other colors once again, so keep checking and call them and let your requests be heard. They DO listen, because they created the website to sell their most beloved products after people went practically crazy when they pulled out of department stores. It's worth a try!

on 10/10/2009 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

If I could I'd give this more of a 3.5. It's a lovely product and I like the finish- not matte and doesn't make me look like a bloody ghost. However I do seem to get a bit oily faster with this stuff- but that's easily fixed with blotting papers. I would buy it again, but only if I had the money to go towards it, as I find it a bit pricy.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I'm glad this powder works so well for some, but I think it's ridiculously overpriced and gimmicky.

The cooling sensation is, well, "cool", but I don't know that it has any real benefit.

It may be the brush I was using, but the powder seemed to go on very unevenly and glittery, and left me with a finish that went from dewy to major oil slick in less than an hour.

If you have dry skin and like a dewy look, this powder might be perfect for you - women with oily skin, beware! I'll stick with my Bare Escentuals mineral veil.

on 6/8/2009 4:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This powder is great for those who have dry skin but still want to 'set' their make-up or who find their noses become unflatteringly shiny like me. I've used it in the lightest 'translucent' shade for years because it works so well, it doesn't emphasise lines, it diminishes pores until they disappear, and it adds a pearly gleam. I am not that keen on the pearly gleam as in strong sunlight it can build up, but that is nit picking, this works so well for me and I love it. So what if it cools the skin that is a bonus in the summer but it has far more to offer than that - if you remember to keep the lid screwed on well that is - if you have dry skin and want to know that your face wont melt off your make-up, or with me concealer, this works beautifully, I even use it around my eyes sometimes to give eyeshadow a base to cling to and last longer. This may also work well for oily skin as it does conceal pores, and mine are open on my nose, but with this they become invisible.

Other powders make me older - like a route map this just looks good and not dry or cakey, conceals lines, pores, it's great. As it's translucent it gives light coverage but I don't want coverage from a powder. Before I used this my mother (and others - sigh!) always complained about how dry my skin looked and that she wished I didn't use powder as it made my skin look older, dried up and awful. Now no-one notices my powder, I just get told I've lovely skin, enough said!

I noticed another reviewer has said quite rightly it can sometimes, when brand new stick into little dew like balls on the skin, is that the moisture in it - the coolant? I don't know but after five years of using this it doesn't bother me, a few days use and the product drys out, stops cooling and applies perfectly. If you get this problem, which I've only noticed occasionally, just leave the lid off for a day or two and it will work superbly and improve and enhance the look of your complexion.

on 9/16/2008 9:27:00 AM

I love this product. I have ok skin but high colour and freckles and this tones me down and make me looks poreless.

It sounds to me as if the negative comments are from people who are putting too much on at a time. Use over foundation or primer. Use a big brush, just a light dusting. Concentrate on problem areas and you will look flawless.

I think it's fabulous. I totally get why Prescriptives products are pricey. They rock. See review of compact powder - also fabulous.

on 2/25/2008 4:29:00 PM

This product really doesn't have a purpose at all. It doesn't have color, it doesn't set foundation, it doesn't control oil. It's really hard to see and is just a waste of money.

on 1/26/2008 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this product! I've bought it about twice a year for the past few years. For me that's unusual because I'm always moving on to the next new product. I'm oily/acne prone so I only wear powder foundations like MUFE Duo Mat, Aveda, and MAC StudioFix which leave my face matte. I use Magic as a last step to add some glow to areas like upper forehead, chin, cheekbones. It really makes a big difference! I love it!!

Pros:
Goes on smoothly,
quick and easy,
Doesn't aggravate already sensitive skin,
Good basic coverage.

Cons:
Cakes after a few hours,
Colour kept changing after application,
It sparkled in the wrong light making me look like a five year old,
Makes spots more obvious.

overall: I do like the product and the caking can be overcome by adding more moisturiser but the how glittering thing put me off.

on 5/31/2007 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

lasts forever, i got mine 2 years ago and i still have and use it all the time. fells great and cool when applied.

on 4/24/2007 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have dry skin, and I am generally *VERY* leery of powder. I would say more like I have had a love/hate relationship with powder. As a positive, powder gives a nice finished look. On the other hand, all too often powder makes dry skin look even more dry than it actually is and accentuates lines. A few years ago, when Px launched the *Magic* line, the SA put me in the whole line. I wasn't too impressed with most of it. But the Liquid Powder, I have repurchased several times. It is a unique product that finishes the makeup without looking chalky or making me look like my skin is parched.