Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

3.7

on 4/23/2017 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This product was HG to me for as long as Prescriptives was easily available. I got it for my wedding day makeup when I was 27. And it really did give me that luminous wow factor when applied lightly over my foundation. Let me say though that getting the "wow factor" is a lot easier when you are 27! I am 40 now and this powder still looks nice on me, but I am not as attached to it. So the "liquid" aspect of this is that, when first opened, it feels like a minty/liquid/cool sensation as you are brushing it on. After the product has been used for a while, the magic liquid feels disappears, which is fine. Neat party trick, but it doesn't actually enhance the product. As an actual finishing powder, it is not totally translucent. It has a slight yellow/peach tint that doesn't bother me or even look bad on my super pale skin (nw10 for reference), however if you are seeking a truly translucent finishing powder, this isn't it. It does have a nice illuminating property, which is the main allure for me. It livens up overly-matte foundation and dull skin, without looking like a shimmer mess. I apply with a large powder brush and it lasts pretty well through-out the day. It seems quite dry in the jar, but on application it actually can add a slightly dewy appearance to the skin. It is $42 for a very large sifter jar, which lasts and lasts. I probably won't be ordering a replacement for this. I think I would rather have a truly translucent finishing powder and I am going to give up on the "wow factor" I achieved at 27 on my wedding day. If I had warmer or more yellow toned skin, I would probably stick with this product though. Overall very good and worth considering if you are seeking an illuminating setting powder.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is bizarre. When I first got it, I liked it well enough... although it seemed a bit cakey on my fave over makeup. Now that I've had it a few years it turned into a weird orange-y substance that is only about half the volume of the original amount. I guess perhaps I didn't have the lid on tight enough? Anyhow, it's and scary... and there's much better illuminating powders on the market (many by MAC). I won't repurchase.

Great stuff! I use a powder brush to apply this and it feels like liquid or maybe just a cooling sensation when you put it on but is a dry finish. It is supposed to draw attention from fine lines etc...I have had many compliments when I use this all stating I have a glowy look. I discovered this in the 1990's and just began using it occasionally again. This does not cause me to break out at all and only comes in Translucent so good for all complexions. They do have a magic powder out now that minimizes red tones on the face.

I use quite a few powders at the moment - I love this one in the summer or the winter. i must admit It's one of those ones that sits in the drawer and is a little forgotten at times, but everytime I use it I always fall back in love with it. It feels AMAZING and cooling on the skin, and seems to diffuse out any abnormalities in skin tone and small lines. Seems to make me look fresh and dewy without looking greasy. I find it stays on really well for a powder too. I use it either alone or over a liquid foundation. It is quite expensive (sorry I cant remember how much I paid, just remember thinking "ouch" at the time...) but you do get quite a lot of product (35g), and it lasts for up to two years. I would probably miss this if I didn't have it, so would repurchase it....

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product for about 4 months. When I first bought it, I loved it - the cooling sensation, the slight shimmer and the fact that it is transluscent and not cakey. I have since noticed, however, that it does not do a good job at setting my make-up. Rather, it unsets my make-up. For example, I will do a flawless foundation face with the By Terry LE or LM and then I will set with this powder but it will cause the foundation to become patchy and uneven in some areas, especially my T-zone. This is disappointing as I love everything else about this powder, it is so hard to find a powder that it has not got too much coverage and is not too matte.
I guess I will have to keep looking for my HG loose powder!

on 9/11/2007 2:31:00 PM

Surprised to find that it consistently broke me out - Px liquid foundations don't, so I was hoping this would be ok as well.

The wet sensation is gimicky and the 'glow' looked too heavy even with a light hand.

on 6/30/2007 11:57:00 PM

I've been using this product for years I just love it. The cool wet effect is strange at first but you get used to it. It's a translucent power I dont think is really glitter at all. I have some large pores and with this the light reflects them. My face always looks flawless people dont even notice that I have some little acne around that time of mth. I use laura mercier t/m and her secret camo for coverage of pimples put on blush and finish with this and I'm flawless. Some days its just this powder nothing else.

on 1/23/2007 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I loved this product in the store when the saleslady put it on me, but of couse when I got it home and tried it in natural light the powder was too dark for me. I loved the cooling water feeling and that it did not dry out my skin at all, but I could never wear this. I wear just moisturizer and like to put a little powder over it, but when I put this powder over it, it turned orange. (Mac is one of the few brands I don't have this problem with). also, the coverage was not smooth. If you had more in one place than in another it was pretty obvious, and if you tried to touch/rub it with your finger it would leave lines behind. so basically, the cooling feeling was great but I would not recommend this to someone unless they had darker skin (I am pretty fair) and didn't use moisturizer.

on 1/14/2007 8:42:00 PM

I like this product. I love the cool water feeling when you put it on and the finish it leaves. I use prescriptives foundation and concealer too and people tell me my skin looks really smooth. I don't like the packaging. If the too much powder comes out of the sifter and sits on top the water must evaporate out because I don't get that nice cooling with the "extra" like when I have to tip it out. 40 and luv'n it ;-)

on 1/5/2007 10:04:00 PM

This stuff is amazing - it looks like your face was airbrushed! I only use this for special occasions, but it is worth the rather expensive price. Nice to find a product that actually does what it says it will. Especially flattering under usually horrible florescent lights too...