Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

3.5

on 4/23/2017 2:09:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This product was HG to me for as long as Prescriptives was easily available. I got it for my wedding day makeup when I was 27. And it really did give me that luminous wow factor when applied lightly over my foundation. Let me say though that getting the "wow factor" is a lot easier when you are 27! I am 40 now and this powder still looks nice on me, but I am not as attached to it. So the "liquid" aspect of this is that, when first opened, it feels like a minty/liquid/cool sensation as you are brushing it on. After the product has been used for a while, the magic liquid feels disappears, which is fine. Neat party trick, but it doesn't actually enhance the product. As an actual finishing powder, it is not totally translucent. It has a slight yellow/peach tint that doesn't bother me or even look bad on my super pale skin (nw10 for reference), however if you are seeking a truly translucent finishing powder, this isn't it. It does have a nice illuminating property, which is the main allure for me. It livens up overly-matte foundation and dull skin, without looking like a shimmer mess. I apply with a large powder brush and it lasts pretty well through-out the day. It seems quite dry in the jar, but on application it actually can add a slightly dewy appearance to the skin. It is $42 for a very large sifter jar, which lasts and lasts. I probably won't be ordering a replacement for this. I think I would rather have a truly translucent finishing powder and I am going to give up on the "wow factor" I achieved at 27 on my wedding day. If I had warmer or more yellow toned skin, I would probably stick with this product though. Overall very good and worth considering if you are seeking an illuminating setting powder.

on 12/8/2013 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Have used this powder since it was first introduced-over 20 years ago. I haven't used it for the last 2.5 years because my skin became sensitized at that time, and I have been afraid to try anything except mineral powder. I actually went for almost a year without being able to use anything. That said, I am ready to try my "magic" again, and hope I get the results I'm used to because it is easily the very BEST loose powder I have ever used, and I have always been a beauty product junkie. It blurs all imperfections on your skin and makes it look flawless. I can't tell you how many people have told me that my skin is-perfect...what foundation do I use. I always said none-- just a little concealer, moisturizing sunscreen, and the Magic Liquid Powder. They never believe me and insist it is just my skin. I always assure them it is DEFINITELY the powder, and it is! I am very fair-skinned with freckles, sagging, fine wrinkles-I'll be 63 in January, and my Mama worked in cosmetics since I was about 8 years old, so I HAVE always taken good care of my skin. However, when I was a young woman-teens through early 30's there was hardly such a thing as a true sunscreen, so I didn't grow up using it. In fact, every time my skin has gotten sensitized, it has been from a chemical sunscreen. So my skin is far from perfect. The Magic Liquid Powder just makes it LOOK somewhat (at my age) flawless. Sometimes when I have purchased it, it was too "wet" when first opened, and I had to leave it open in a safe place until it dried out a little. I love the cooling feeling, but it is the optical diffusers in the powder itself that give you that "flawless" look. There is nothing out there exactly like it! I always use a high-quality powder brush to apply it. If you have never tried this product, by all means try it, unless you have dark skin or are a woman of color. Unfortunately the only type they are currently producing is the original translucent light. Lots of people are begging Prescriptives on their website to start making the other colors once again, so keep checking and call them and let your requests be heard. They DO listen, because they created the website to sell their most beloved products after people went practically crazy when they pulled out of department stores. It's worth a try!

on 7/18/2009 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I can understand why this product isn't for everyone. I personally love it because I like a slightly dewy finish to my foundation and hate that matte powdery cakey look on my skin. There is no point setting a dewy foundation with a matte powder because it just defeats the purpose. This powder is very fine, lightweight and contains a subtle shimmer (Mica) but also has a high content of water molecules which gives a cooling sensation when applied to the skin. It is great for a dry/dehydrated skin because it doesn't 'cling' to any dry patches on the skin, and sets a slightly dewier foundation without making the skin look too matte. This powder makes my skin feel smooth and look glowy (not shiney).

on 6/10/2009 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I am now using nothing but Illuminating moisturizer by Stila (no. 1 disc:( .. ) the Sunsheen liquid powder in Light and then a pink blush. My skin has never looked better -- it glows with no shimmer. I look healthy and that is sometimes difficult on an NC15 skin! I love this look for summer!

I really like how the Magic Liquid Powder feels wet and cool during application. The Prescriptives MA brushed it on my hand and I was instantly sold! I'm not the type to buy department brand cosmetics in a second. I thought this was going to be one of my HG powders. Here are the cons though:

-It doesn't last long nor does it control oil. I have combination skin and I can get pretty oily in the T-zone area.

-Even though I got the translucent shade, the Magic Powder still looked pink on my skin in natural daylight (Asian, MAC NC30, Shiseido O40). In bathroom lighting, it looks great. Sigh... I probably won't buy this again since it's expensive. $35.00 at Macys...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Love this! I don't use it so much when I first apply my makeup, but more often if I'm touching up (typically after coming home from work/school and on my way somewhere else) - I find that it really perks up my makeup, and the wet feel is nice. As others have noted, it's easier to apply more. This gives my face a great, airbrushed look without looking show-girl glittery. My only problem with the product is the packaging -right after I buy it, I poke holes in the little sticker over the holes to dispense the powder, that way I can only tap a little out at a time. I've found that this keeps the powder "fresh" and with its wet feel longer.

on 1/23/2007 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I loved this product in the store when the saleslady put it on me, but of couse when I got it home and tried it in natural light the powder was too dark for me. I loved the cooling water feeling and that it did not dry out my skin at all, but I could never wear this. I wear just moisturizer and like to put a little powder over it, but when I put this powder over it, it turned orange. (Mac is one of the few brands I don't have this problem with). also, the coverage was not smooth. If you had more in one place than in another it was pretty obvious, and if you tried to touch/rub it with your finger it would leave lines behind. so basically, the cooling feeling was great but I would not recommend this to someone unless they had darker skin (I am pretty fair) and didn't use moisturizer.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

This really is magic!! A loose powder that feels kind of wet going on. When I expressed curiosity at the counter she told me that "mostly young girls buy it." Oh my. What does she know? I am here to tell you that my no powder has ever done for my 53 year old complexion what this does. Really blurs the fine lines, (and the not so fine) gives a nice natural glow and does not look all dried out later. Everything else including the natural mineral makeup was disappointing for me. ( IMO mineral makeup is for "younger" skin.) Anyway, I will never use another kind of powder again. Magic Powder is beautiful alone or lightly dusted over regular foundation. Maybe not for everyone, but I for one am a hopin' and a prayin' they keep this product. Edit: The "wetness" dries up in the jar as you open and use it. Got too dry before I got anywhere near finishing it. Then it goes on drier looking like other powders. Rating stands as long as it's new.

on 8/27/2006 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Out of all the many powders I have tried, this is my least favorite. I got sucked in by the sales pitch. The initial cooling sensation when it is applied was unique, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it. The color isn't great at all. It just doesn't look natural on me at all. The powder doesn't wear well at all either. And as many reviewers have written, the brush is worse than useless. And that initial cooling sensation that Prescriptives uses to market the powder goes away once the powder gets a little old. And I don't just mean once it's applied, but it quits having that effect at all once the powder isn't new. I guess the water/moisture in it dries out once the packaging is open. I kept trying to give it chances thinking maybe it would grow on me or work better if I tried it different ways (with a better brush, with a puff, etc.), but it simply does not wear well. It's just not a good powder. I've used powders from the highest end to the lowest end, and I prefer all my low end powders (as well as my high end ones) over this. This product is all hype and no substance IMHO.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love Prescritives but I see this as totally useless. I use their foundations and this powder like others have said, doesn't set it or anything. It just sort of sits on top of skin.