Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

3.0

on 12/8/2013 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Have used this powder since it was first introduced-over 20 years ago. I haven't used it for the last 2.5 years because my skin became sensitized at that time, and I have been afraid to try anything except mineral powder. I actually went for almost a year without being able to use anything. That said, I am ready to try my "magic" again, and hope I get the results I'm used to because it is easily the very BEST loose powder I have ever used, and I have always been a beauty product junkie. It blurs all imperfections on your skin and makes it look flawless. I can't tell you how many people have told me that my skin is-perfect...what foundation do I use. I always said none-- just a little concealer, moisturizing sunscreen, and the Magic Liquid Powder. They never believe me and insist it is just my skin. I always assure them it is DEFINITELY the powder, and it is! I am very fair-skinned with freckles, sagging, fine wrinkles-I'll be 63 in January, and my Mama worked in cosmetics since I was about 8 years old, so I HAVE always taken good care of my skin. However, when I was a young woman-teens through early 30's there was hardly such a thing as a true sunscreen, so I didn't grow up using it. In fact, every time my skin has gotten sensitized, it has been from a chemical sunscreen. So my skin is far from perfect. The Magic Liquid Powder just makes it LOOK somewhat (at my age) flawless. Sometimes when I have purchased it, it was too "wet" when first opened, and I had to leave it open in a safe place until it dried out a little. I love the cooling feeling, but it is the optical diffusers in the powder itself that give you that "flawless" look. There is nothing out there exactly like it! I always use a high-quality powder brush to apply it. If you have never tried this product, by all means try it, unless you have dark skin or are a woman of color. Unfortunately the only type they are currently producing is the original translucent light. Lots of people are begging Prescriptives on their website to start making the other colors once again, so keep checking and call them and let your requests be heard. They DO listen, because they created the website to sell their most beloved products after people went practically crazy when they pulled out of department stores. It's worth a try!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is bizarre. When I first got it, I liked it well enough... although it seemed a bit cakey on my fave over makeup. Now that I've had it a few years it turned into a weird orange-y substance that is only about half the volume of the original amount. I guess perhaps I didn't have the lid on tight enough? Anyhow, it's and scary... and there's much better illuminating powders on the market (many by MAC). I won't repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product for about 4 months. When I first bought it, I loved it - the cooling sensation, the slight shimmer and the fact that it is transluscent and not cakey. I have since noticed, however, that it does not do a good job at setting my make-up. Rather, it unsets my make-up. For example, I will do a flawless foundation face with the By Terry LE or LM and then I will set with this powder but it will cause the foundation to become patchy and uneven in some areas, especially my T-zone. This is disappointing as I love everything else about this powder, it is so hard to find a powder that it has not got too much coverage and is not too matte.
I guess I will have to keep looking for my HG loose powder!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Love this! I don't use it so much when I first apply my makeup, but more often if I'm touching up (typically after coming home from work/school and on my way somewhere else) - I find that it really perks up my makeup, and the wet feel is nice. As others have noted, it's easier to apply more. This gives my face a great, airbrushed look without looking show-girl glittery. My only problem with the product is the packaging -right after I buy it, I poke holes in the little sticker over the holes to dispense the powder, that way I can only tap a little out at a time. I've found that this keeps the powder "fresh" and with its wet feel longer.

I'm generally a Prescriptives fan, but this product was a toughie. The "wet" feel is cool, but difficult to apply. You either get nothing or too much on the brush. [ASIDE: I did a side-by-side test in the store between Magic powder and lotion, but the lotion was too irridescent for me. The powder seemed more subtle.] I agree that the powder gave my already-pale skin a strange whitish tint. I'm pale enough for heaven's sake! The worst part is that I started breaking out on my chin after about a week of use. After a few days of non-use, my skin is feeling better, so I'm afraid this nocomedogenic powder gave me pimples. Too bad on this one.

on 5/28/2003 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Cool

I WANTED to like this product, but try as I might I just can't get too excited about it :( I think it is geared toward that "middle of the road" woman. Not someone with bad skin, not someone with flawless skin. But someone who has pretty decent skin but doesn't naturally have that glow going on that makes people come up and say "WHAT do you use on your skin???" I do think it would really perk up the complexion of someone like that but, if you're lucky enough to have great skin I'd recommend using the $32.50 for a fabulous blush instead.

on 5/21/2002 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

If I had written this 6 months ago, it would be a rave. But low and behold, my Magic powder has lost it's "magic". The cooling effect is now gone and it's a just a dead, flat powder. Several MUA'ers have told me the same of their Magic powder too. I guess it's only good for a certain amount of time. boo.