Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

3.5

on 4/23/2017 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This product was HG to me for as long as Prescriptives was easily available. I got it for my wedding day makeup when I was 27. And it really did give me that luminous wow factor when applied lightly over my foundation. Let me say though that getting the "wow factor" is a lot easier when you are 27! I am 40 now and this powder still looks nice on me, but I am not as attached to it. So the "liquid" aspect of this is that, when first opened, it feels like a minty/liquid/cool sensation as you are brushing it on. After the product has been used for a while, the magic liquid feels disappears, which is fine. Neat party trick, but it doesn't actually enhance the product. As an actual finishing powder, it is not totally translucent. It has a slight yellow/peach tint that doesn't bother me or even look bad on my super pale skin (nw10 for reference), however if you are seeking a truly translucent finishing powder, this isn't it. It does have a nice illuminating property, which is the main allure for me. It livens up overly-matte foundation and dull skin, without looking like a shimmer mess. I apply with a large powder brush and it lasts pretty well through-out the day. It seems quite dry in the jar, but on application it actually can add a slightly dewy appearance to the skin. It is $42 for a very large sifter jar, which lasts and lasts. I probably won't be ordering a replacement for this. I think I would rather have a truly translucent finishing powder and I am going to give up on the "wow factor" I achieved at 27 on my wedding day. If I had warmer or more yellow toned skin, I would probably stick with this product though. Overall very good and worth considering if you are seeking an illuminating setting powder.

I call this "good skin in a can". i've been using it for over 15 years! when they discontinued the line, I stocked up and bought 2. 2 cans lasted me 3 years - and that's with daily use. it is by far the best powder I have ever used, and it is a holy grail must have item in my collection!

on 12/8/2013 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Have used this powder since it was first introduced-over 20 years ago. I haven't used it for the last 2.5 years because my skin became sensitized at that time, and I have been afraid to try anything except mineral powder. I actually went for almost a year without being able to use anything. That said, I am ready to try my "magic" again, and hope I get the results I'm used to because it is easily the very BEST loose powder I have ever used, and I have always been a beauty product junkie. It blurs all imperfections on your skin and makes it look flawless. I can't tell you how many people have told me that my skin is-perfect...what foundation do I use. I always said none-- just a little concealer, moisturizing sunscreen, and the Magic Liquid Powder. They never believe me and insist it is just my skin. I always assure them it is DEFINITELY the powder, and it is! I am very fair-skinned with freckles, sagging, fine wrinkles-I'll be 63 in January, and my Mama worked in cosmetics since I was about 8 years old, so I HAVE always taken good care of my skin. However, when I was a young woman-teens through early 30's there was hardly such a thing as a true sunscreen, so I didn't grow up using it. In fact, every time my skin has gotten sensitized, it has been from a chemical sunscreen. So my skin is far from perfect. The Magic Liquid Powder just makes it LOOK somewhat (at my age) flawless. Sometimes when I have purchased it, it was too "wet" when first opened, and I had to leave it open in a safe place until it dried out a little. I love the cooling feeling, but it is the optical diffusers in the powder itself that give you that "flawless" look. There is nothing out there exactly like it! I always use a high-quality powder brush to apply it. If you have never tried this product, by all means try it, unless you have dark skin or are a woman of color. Unfortunately the only type they are currently producing is the original translucent light. Lots of people are begging Prescriptives on their website to start making the other colors once again, so keep checking and call them and let your requests be heard. They DO listen, because they created the website to sell their most beloved products after people went practically crazy when they pulled out of department stores. It's worth a try!

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I'm glad this powder works so well for some, but I think it's ridiculously overpriced and gimmicky.

The cooling sensation is, well, "cool", but I don't know that it has any real benefit.

It may be the brush I was using, but the powder seemed to go on very unevenly and glittery, and left me with a finish that went from dewy to major oil slick in less than an hour.

If you have dry skin and like a dewy look, this powder might be perfect for you - women with oily skin, beware! I'll stick with my Bare Escentuals mineral veil.

on 6/10/2009 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I am now using nothing but Illuminating moisturizer by Stila (no. 1 disc:( .. ) the Sunsheen liquid powder in Light and then a pink blush. My skin has never looked better -- it glows with no shimmer. I look healthy and that is sometimes difficult on an NC15 skin! I love this look for summer!

on 6/8/2009 4:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This powder is great for those who have dry skin but still want to 'set' their make-up or who find their noses become unflatteringly shiny like me. I've used it in the lightest 'translucent' shade for years because it works so well, it doesn't emphasise lines, it diminishes pores until they disappear, and it adds a pearly gleam. I am not that keen on the pearly gleam as in strong sunlight it can build up, but that is nit picking, this works so well for me and I love it. So what if it cools the skin that is a bonus in the summer but it has far more to offer than that - if you remember to keep the lid screwed on well that is - if you have dry skin and want to know that your face wont melt off your make-up, or with me concealer, this works beautifully, I even use it around my eyes sometimes to give eyeshadow a base to cling to and last longer. This may also work well for oily skin as it does conceal pores, and mine are open on my nose, but with this they become invisible.

Other powders make me older - like a route map this just looks good and not dry or cakey, conceals lines, pores, it's great. As it's translucent it gives light coverage but I don't want coverage from a powder. Before I used this my mother (and others - sigh!) always complained about how dry my skin looked and that she wished I didn't use powder as it made my skin look older, dried up and awful. Now no-one notices my powder, I just get told I've lovely skin, enough said!

I noticed another reviewer has said quite rightly it can sometimes, when brand new stick into little dew like balls on the skin, is that the moisture in it - the coolant? I don't know but after five years of using this it doesn't bother me, a few days use and the product drys out, stops cooling and applies perfectly. If you get this problem, which I've only noticed occasionally, just leave the lid off for a day or two and it will work superbly and improve and enhance the look of your complexion.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is bizarre. When I first got it, I liked it well enough... although it seemed a bit cakey on my fave over makeup. Now that I've had it a few years it turned into a weird orange-y substance that is only about half the volume of the original amount. I guess perhaps I didn't have the lid on tight enough? Anyhow, it's and scary... and there's much better illuminating powders on the market (many by MAC). I won't repurchase.

Great stuff! I use a powder brush to apply this and it feels like liquid or maybe just a cooling sensation when you put it on but is a dry finish. It is supposed to draw attention from fine lines etc...I have had many compliments when I use this all stating I have a glowy look. I discovered this in the 1990's and just began using it occasionally again. This does not cause me to break out at all and only comes in Translucent so good for all complexions. They do have a magic powder out now that minimizes red tones on the face.

I use quite a few powders at the moment - I love this one in the summer or the winter. i must admit It's one of those ones that sits in the drawer and is a little forgotten at times, but everytime I use it I always fall back in love with it. It feels AMAZING and cooling on the skin, and seems to diffuse out any abnormalities in skin tone and small lines. Seems to make me look fresh and dewy without looking greasy. I find it stays on really well for a powder too. I use it either alone or over a liquid foundation. It is quite expensive (sorry I cant remember how much I paid, just remember thinking "ouch" at the time...) but you do get quite a lot of product (35g), and it lasts for up to two years. I would probably miss this if I didn't have it, so would repurchase it....

on 4/18/2008 3:07:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

In my opinion, this is more novelty than anything. The liquid-powder texture is unique and it feels wonderful when applied with a big soft face brush. But the "magic" ends there. It doesn't do anything special. It's not illuminating and it doesn't create an illusion of perfection or whatever it is that Prescriptives claims it does. Staying power is a joke. It is fun to play with and feels nice and gives the appearance of a more polished face when it is first applied, and for that it rates 3 stars. But it is not in any way special, and I don't think it's worth the price.