Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

3.7

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I am a MA with a lot of experience with this powder. Overall I think it's terrific in the right situationit feels great going on and has a beautiful glow finish! Just a couple of comments:

1. I believe this powder is best used as a light setting powder for people with normal to dry skin, who want a soft glow look. It does not have oil control and is NOT good for touch ups--the shimmer build up is, well, not flattering. Ok for oily skin for a quiet night out when you do not plan to sweat or need to touch up during the evening--but I honestly think there are better things for oily skin to give you shimmer if that's what you want. For skin on the drier side, apply sparingly, avoiding laugh lines and undereye areas.

2. Best way to use this powder (IMO):
a. Apply moisturizer & foundation (if desired). Sprinkle a small amount of the powder into the cap--I start with just enough to barely cover 1/2 the area inside the cap (you can always add more if neededand less is more with this powder). Shake the cap so the powder spreads out.
b. Use a real powder brush (not the useless one that comes with it) that has a tapered side (the Px one is nice, and so is the Sonia Kashuk), and gently swipe up a small amount of the powder. Tap lightly to remove excess. Apply as desired, and enjoy!

It helps to maintain the water content if you use this method--if you are constantly stabbing into a pile of powder in the container you'll break a lot of the water beads there instead of on your face, diluting the cool feeling faster. Also, its essential to cap it TIGHTLY after each use.

3. For those having trouble with the stupid brush that comes with itfor example, trouble getting it back into the lid when youve figured out that youre never going to use it again, heres how it works: theres a part that slides out from inside the brush handle to cover the bristles and hold them in place so you can get the brush cap onpull that out, then get the notches on the brush handle and the notches on the brush cap on the same side. Fit the cap onto the brush cover and slide it back into the brush handle. The brush goes back into the lid with notches down, bristles first. Whew!

I have pale, slightly ruddy skin, so for my personal experience --the red neutralizer option in this powder is a godsend on some particularly pink days. But not the oily pink days

Sorry this is so long, but hope its helpful. continued >>

on 12/8/2013 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Have used this powder since it was first introduced-over 20 years ago. I haven't used it for the last 2.5 years because my skin became sensitized at that time, and I have been afraid to try anything except mineral powder. I actually went for almost a year without being able to use anything. That said, I am ready to try my "magic" again, and hope I get the results I'm used to because it is easily the very BEST loose powder I have ever used, and I have always been a beauty product junkie. It blurs all imperfections on your skin and makes it look flawless. I can't tell you how many people have told me that my skin is-perfect...what foundation do I use. I always said none-- just a little concealer, moisturizing sunscreen, and the Magic Liquid Powder. They never believe me and insist it is just my skin. I always assure them it is DEFINITELY the powder, and it is! I am very fair-skinned with freckles, sagging, fine wrinkles-I'll be 63 in January, and my Mama worked in cosmetics since I was about 8 years old, so I HAVE always taken good care of my skin. However, when I was a young woman-teens through early 30's there was hardly such a thing as a true sunscreen, so I didn't grow up using it. In fact, every time my skin has gotten sensitized, it has been from a chemical sunscreen. So my skin is far from perfect. The Magic Liquid Powder just makes it LOOK somewhat (at my age) flawless. Sometimes when I have purchased it, it was too "wet" when first opened, and I had to leave it open in a safe place until it dried out a little. I love the cooling feeling, but it is the optical diffusers in the powder itself that give you that "flawless" look. There is nothing out there exactly like it! I always use a high-quality powder brush to apply it. If you have never tried this product, by all means try it, unless you have dark skin or are a woman of color. Unfortunately the only type they are currently producing is the original translucent light. Lots of people are begging Prescriptives on their website to start making the other colors once again, so keep checking and call them and let your requests be heard. They DO listen, because they created the website to sell their most beloved products after people went practically crazy when they pulled out of department stores. It's worth a try!

on 9/16/2007 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Well, call me bias but as a loyal px customer and employee, i LOVE THE MAGIC POWDER. Why? It's cooling sensation and super natural finish over foundation... It doesn't leave me looking ashy or too matte. I actually appreciate my skins glow. However< I do understand what some of the other reviews are saying b/c there's few things you have to be careful about. Used with a synthetic brush, it doesn't roll on as smoothly and leaves too much product on the skin leaving it with a undesireable finish under lighting.

Oh , it does turn a little jelly when not used or store improperly but all you have to do is shake it up a little, then it regains it normal powdery texture. You can also add a few drops of water when it loses its cooling effect. You may see what appears to be steam, its from the liquid powder being 70% water.

Application tip: Dip large natural fiber brush in powder, use cap to disburse to excess product. Then pat onto face, then gently dust away excess amounts from face. This technique makes a world of a difference in the finish. Give it a try. Remember to much of anything is bad for you.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

This really is magic!! A loose powder that feels kind of wet going on. When I expressed curiosity at the counter she told me that "mostly young girls buy it." Oh my. What does she know? I am here to tell you that my no powder has ever done for my 53 year old complexion what this does. Really blurs the fine lines, (and the not so fine) gives a nice natural glow and does not look all dried out later. Everything else including the natural mineral makeup was disappointing for me. ( IMO mineral makeup is for "younger" skin.) Anyway, I will never use another kind of powder again. Magic Powder is beautiful alone or lightly dusted over regular foundation. Maybe not for everyone, but I for one am a hopin' and a prayin' they keep this product. Edit: The "wetness" dries up in the jar as you open and use it. Got too dry before I got anywhere near finishing it. Then it goes on drier looking like other powders. Rating stands as long as it's new.

on 6/17/2009 2:43:00 PM

This has been the best find for finishing powder for me.Magic just adds that touch to finishing up make up. It does not settle into fine lines. Does not add heaviness to foundation. Does not settle into fine lines. It is a super WOW product.

on 7/18/2009 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I can understand why this product isn't for everyone. I personally love it because I like a slightly dewy finish to my foundation and hate that matte powdery cakey look on my skin. There is no point setting a dewy foundation with a matte powder because it just defeats the purpose. This powder is very fine, lightweight and contains a subtle shimmer (Mica) but also has a high content of water molecules which gives a cooling sensation when applied to the skin. It is great for a dry/dehydrated skin because it doesn't 'cling' to any dry patches on the skin, and sets a slightly dewier foundation without making the skin look too matte. This powder makes my skin feel smooth and look glowy (not shiney).

on 6/8/2009 4:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This powder is great for those who have dry skin but still want to 'set' their make-up or who find their noses become unflatteringly shiny like me. I've used it in the lightest 'translucent' shade for years because it works so well, it doesn't emphasise lines, it diminishes pores until they disappear, and it adds a pearly gleam. I am not that keen on the pearly gleam as in strong sunlight it can build up, but that is nit picking, this works so well for me and I love it. So what if it cools the skin that is a bonus in the summer but it has far more to offer than that - if you remember to keep the lid screwed on well that is - if you have dry skin and want to know that your face wont melt off your make-up, or with me concealer, this works beautifully, I even use it around my eyes sometimes to give eyeshadow a base to cling to and last longer. This may also work well for oily skin as it does conceal pores, and mine are open on my nose, but with this they become invisible.

Other powders make me older - like a route map this just looks good and not dry or cakey, conceals lines, pores, it's great. As it's translucent it gives light coverage but I don't want coverage from a powder. Before I used this my mother (and others - sigh!) always complained about how dry my skin looked and that she wished I didn't use powder as it made my skin look older, dried up and awful. Now no-one notices my powder, I just get told I've lovely skin, enough said!

I noticed another reviewer has said quite rightly it can sometimes, when brand new stick into little dew like balls on the skin, is that the moisture in it - the coolant? I don't know but after five years of using this it doesn't bother me, a few days use and the product drys out, stops cooling and applies perfectly. If you get this problem, which I've only noticed occasionally, just leave the lid off for a day or two and it will work superbly and improve and enhance the look of your complexion.

on 12/20/2006 3:26:00 PM

I'm having a hard time believing anyone would try to use this powder over their whole face. I use it only as a highlighter on my upper cheek/eyebrow area. It was sold to me as a subtle hightlighter, as it's pearlescent, not sparkly. I'm 48 and don't need any sparkles on my face. This works like a dream. I've been using a bunch of Prescriptives products lately...good products, decent prices. I just can't imagine from the previous reviews how ridiculous this would look brushed everywhere...even on young skin. The wet/cooling effect IS gimicky, but harmless. I ignore it entirely. I've been obsessed with highlighters in the last couple months...I've bought inumerable ones...Clarins, Nars, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Guerlain, etc. This is one of the best ones, and definitely a keeper...and at the rate I use it, it'll last well into my children's lifetime.

on 4/23/2017 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This product was HG to me for as long as Prescriptives was easily available. I got it for my wedding day makeup when I was 27. And it really did give me that luminous wow factor when applied lightly over my foundation. Let me say though that getting the "wow factor" is a lot easier when you are 27! I am 40 now and this powder still looks nice on me, but I am not as attached to it. So the "liquid" aspect of this is that, when first opened, it feels like a minty/liquid/cool sensation as you are brushing it on. After the product has been used for a while, the magic liquid feels disappears, which is fine. Neat party trick, but it doesn't actually enhance the product. As an actual finishing powder, it is not totally translucent. It has a slight yellow/peach tint that doesn't bother me or even look bad on my super pale skin (nw10 for reference), however if you are seeking a truly translucent finishing powder, this isn't it. It does have a nice illuminating property, which is the main allure for me. It livens up overly-matte foundation and dull skin, without looking like a shimmer mess. I apply with a large powder brush and it lasts pretty well through-out the day. It seems quite dry in the jar, but on application it actually can add a slightly dewy appearance to the skin. It is $42 for a very large sifter jar, which lasts and lasts. I probably won't be ordering a replacement for this. I think I would rather have a truly translucent finishing powder and I am going to give up on the "wow factor" I achieved at 27 on my wedding day. If I had warmer or more yellow toned skin, I would probably stick with this product though. Overall very good and worth considering if you are seeking an illuminating setting powder.

i, being more oily, am not the biggest fan of this product. it is 70% water but is NOT meant to be used as a setting powder because its purpose is not to set your makeup but instead to just give you a little bit of radiance. depending on how heavy you wear your makeup, it can sort of grab onto your makeup under. the most important thing when using this product is to make sure that you are using a synthetic brush as it is sort of water-y and will not lay nicely on the face.

dont get me wrong.. ive seen it do some nice things as i am ALWAYS at the makeup counters, but not that essential! i like their Magic Cream or Potion better. I am a huge fan of bare escentuals bare radiance or featherlight to get a nice glow!