Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder

3.3

on 4/23/2017 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This product was HG to me for as long as Prescriptives was easily available. I got it for my wedding day makeup when I was 27. And it really did give me that luminous wow factor when applied lightly over my foundation. Let me say though that getting the "wow factor" is a lot easier when you are 27! I am 40 now and this powder still looks nice on me, but I am not as attached to it. So the "liquid" aspect of this is that, when first opened, it feels like a minty/liquid/cool sensation as you are brushing it on. After the product has been used for a while, the magic liquid feels disappears, which is fine. Neat party trick, but it doesn't actually enhance the product. As an actual finishing powder, it is not totally translucent. It has a slight yellow/peach tint that doesn't bother me or even look bad on my super pale skin (nw10 for reference), however if you are seeking a truly translucent finishing powder, this isn't it. It does have a nice illuminating property, which is the main allure for me. It livens up overly-matte foundation and dull skin, without looking like a shimmer mess. I apply with a large powder brush and it lasts pretty well through-out the day. It seems quite dry in the jar, but on application it actually can add a slightly dewy appearance to the skin. It is $42 for a very large sifter jar, which lasts and lasts. I probably won't be ordering a replacement for this. I think I would rather have a truly translucent finishing powder and I am going to give up on the "wow factor" I achieved at 27 on my wedding day. If I had warmer or more yellow toned skin, I would probably stick with this product though. Overall very good and worth considering if you are seeking an illuminating setting powder.

Great stuff! I use a powder brush to apply this and it feels like liquid or maybe just a cooling sensation when you put it on but is a dry finish. It is supposed to draw attention from fine lines etc...I have had many compliments when I use this all stating I have a glowy look. I discovered this in the 1990's and just began using it occasionally again. This does not cause me to break out at all and only comes in Translucent so good for all complexions. They do have a magic powder out now that minimizes red tones on the face.

on 1/14/2009 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I am a bit late writing a review for this one but better late than never. This is a great powder and not similar to anything I have tried in the past. The phrase liquid powder was what really caught my attention when I approached the counter to check out this product. Not at all a liquid but a powder which is cool when applied to the skin.

I purchased this in Deep Translucent and it has been working very well for my skin tone. I use this on top of my Px liquid foundation but also La Mer and Laura Mercier and have been able to attain a perfect finish at all times. I have seen reviews on the internet where people add this on top of powder foundation for an added glow but I could not imagine using this over another powder product. This powder did not cause any clogging of the pores, acne or skin irritation. This is a great powder and definitely worth trying. Not cakey and definitely easy to apply. One should use a large powder brush.

I currently have so many powders that I cannot see myself making a powder purchase anytime soon; but this a product I would replace when it is finished if something better does not come along.

on 9/16/2008 9:27:00 AM

I love this product. I have ok skin but high colour and freckles and this tones me down and make me looks poreless.

It sounds to me as if the negative comments are from people who are putting too much on at a time. Use over foundation or primer. Use a big brush, just a light dusting. Concentrate on problem areas and you will look flawless.

I think it's fabulous. I totally get why Prescriptives products are pricey. They rock. See review of compact powder - also fabulous.

on 5/18/2008 1:21:00 PM

Over-priced, too sparkly, cakes if you use too much. Nice cooling effect when you're applying it, but it seriously isn't worth the money.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm not sure what the point is to this stuff. all it did was highlight every pore and wrinkly on my face! yeah, the "cool" feel is interesting but I still don't get it. lol The sparkly stuff needs to be left to the teenagers...not us middle aged ladies. :)

I never really used this because it just made me look dirty. blek.

also, as much as I love loose powders, I WISH to heaven someone would come up with a container that is TRAVEL friendly. This stuff spills everywhere when it is opened after being thrown about in a suitcase aboard a plane. Not sure what the solution is.

on 4/24/2007 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have dry skin, and I am generally *VERY* leery of powder. I would say more like I have had a love/hate relationship with powder. As a positive, powder gives a nice finished look. On the other hand, all too often powder makes dry skin look even more dry than it actually is and accentuates lines. A few years ago, when Px launched the *Magic* line, the SA put me in the whole line. I wasn't too impressed with most of it. But the Liquid Powder, I have repurchased several times. It is a unique product that finishes the makeup without looking chalky or making me look like my skin is parched.

I vote 'No' on this product. First of all, there is a definite learning curve on application. If you find yourself thinking, "Oh my god! It really is WET powder!" while applying, then you are putting on too much. This thought is often followed by the flakey 'mask' look described by others. You should only apply enough powder to cause yourself to wonder,"Hey! Is that wet or just cold?" Second, and the deal breaker in my book, it makes my face itch. I'm talking--itchy a la Bare Essentuals mineral powder. Icky itching to the point where I can't wait to get home and wash my face off. It's such a shame. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this stuff--because I certainly won't be wearing it. UPDATE; I've had a change of heart about this product. I took my own advise and apply much, much less and I'm not having any problem with it. Also, because of a new skincare regime my skin is no longer dry and I think this has something to do with it. So, I'm keeping it!! I would not recommend this product to people with dry skin.

on 1/14/2007 8:42:00 PM

I like this product. I love the cool water feeling when you put it on and the finish it leaves. I use prescriptives foundation and concealer too and people tell me my skin looks really smooth. I don't like the packaging. If the too much powder comes out of the sifter and sits on top the water must evaporate out because I don't get that nice cooling with the "extra" like when I have to tip it out. 40 and luv'n it ;-)

on 8/27/2006 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Out of all the many powders I have tried, this is my least favorite. I got sucked in by the sales pitch. The initial cooling sensation when it is applied was unique, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it. The color isn't great at all. It just doesn't look natural on me at all. The powder doesn't wear well at all either. And as many reviewers have written, the brush is worse than useless. And that initial cooling sensation that Prescriptives uses to market the powder goes away once the powder gets a little old. And I don't just mean once it's applied, but it quits having that effect at all once the powder isn't new. I guess the water/moisture in it dries out once the packaging is open. I kept trying to give it chances thinking maybe it would grow on me or work better if I tried it different ways (with a better brush, with a puff, etc.), but it simply does not wear well. It's just not a good powder. I've used powders from the highest end to the lowest end, and I prefer all my low end powders (as well as my high end ones) over this. This product is all hype and no substance IMHO.