NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Red Square

4.6

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

I was looking for a red lip color, and trying to find one that is not too blue red was not easy, I also wanted one that was on the matte side to avoid running outside the lip lines (age darlings ). Anyway in my research I found that most of the lines both DS and high end go from a blue-red directly to coral orange shades to while lovely wasn't' what I wanted.

The only contender was a Tom Ford but it was too glossy and ended up bleeding....so Red Square is the winner, on my skin, it's just right not too dark, blue red and not too orange

and stays on the lip

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE NARS velvet matte! Have bought them and recommended them to all my friends and fam. But for the good of woman kind, you can have an easy to apply, comfortable to wear, classy truly matte finish that lasts longer than any other lipstick I've ever worn. Red Square is a lot of fun because its slightly unusual, with its orangey red colour and properly matte finish, and I get loads of compliments on it. I use it all the time. The cons (wasted product when sharpening, may need to get a new NARS/other compatible sharpener too, price) are absolutely outweighed by the quality of this lipstick formula......

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This is absolutely beautiful! Stark against my nw45 skin, this is so flattering and just in time for Spring/Summer as I hear orange lips will be all the rage. I have always love the velvet mattes but stuck with my dragon girl. This I picked up at the Nars counter when I was in Atlanta. I love it so much! Matte perfection, excellent staying power and not drying at all on my lips. I will definitely purchase this again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Love this pencil!!!
It's crazy easy to apply and the colour is great, very matte and pretty good staying power.
Goes on easy and has a nice soft texture. Would absolutely buy again.

I'm a huge, huge fan of orange-red lipsticks - it's pretty much the only shade I buy. Previously I've been using pop beauty's stain stay in Poppy Kiss, but it came off a little too strong and drying for me. But I really think this NARS pencil tops it. It's very true to it's dark orange hue - most lip products that claim to have orange come out to be pinkish, but not this one. I love the way NARS is not afraid to actually give different colors.

Now I put on the lipgloss "Wonder" by NARS before applying this in-store, and I've gotta say, I think this backwards application really helped. I don't really like the look/feel of gloss, but the color was amazing - also a bright orange-red, and the way "Red Square" looked and felt on top of it was amazing. It looked a lot more natural and my lips looked smooth, without the cracked/wrinkled tendencies that lipsticks gives. I think I might just buy "Wonder" next time I'm at Sephora, or maybe just try a cheaper gloss under it.

But for the pencil alone, it really is a very pigmented and true-to-it's-color formula. A drawback I have is the price - $25 seems just a tad much, but it's pretty much worth it for the color you get.

I think this is a great orangey red. My only complaint is that I do find it to be a tad drying. After a couple of hours of wear it slightly bunches up in the corner of my lips. I find that with a light reapplication though I can even out that texture issue. Despite transferring onto cups, I find that I don't lose any of the color. I also like the pencil form, since it allows me to get a really clean line. Overall, I'd purchase it again, but its probably not my favorite matte lipstick formula.

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Red Square is matte red with a very strong orange base. If you watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians, its almost identical to the shade of red Kourtney likes to wear. Its very warm toned and looks like a retro pin-up shade that makes my lips look very full. Ive always been a fan of blue toned true-red lipstick, but now I think that I like orange based reds better! For a matte pencil, it glides on my lips so smoothly and has incredibly strong pigmentation I use one swipe for full, opaque coverage. It brightens up my complexion and makes my teeth look whiter and because it is matte it lasts a very long time on my lips. I very much like the matte effect on my lips, but you can add some balm or gloss for more of a sheen. I feel so comfortable wearing Red Square, its bright, yet not massively in-your-face.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Very pigmented and gorgeous colour. However the design of the pencil should be reviewed as it makes you waste a lot of product when you need to shave the pencil to sharpen the tip. Considering that the price is very high its painful to see the product going to the bin!

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Now I am not the girl who likes bright lipsticks, I usually go for dark purples, dark reds or dark browns when I wear bold lipstick. However I tried it on and loved it. It goes great with my dark eyes, dark hair and NC20 skin, it really brightens up my face. Application is easy as well, however you do need to buy a NARS sharpener since it's a rather weird sized pencil.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I really like the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils: long-lasting, easy to apply, great texture, not too drying. Red Square is a deeply pigmented, orange-red. It stands out.

Like all Velvet Matte Lip Pencils, I keep this one in the little box when I throw it in my bag, since I don't really trust the cap.

Apparently I'm on an orange-red lipstick thing this summer. (This is actually quite close to the Kat Von D Stiletto lipstick I bought earlier. Not exactly, but very similar.) I find myself reaching for the Nars a little bit more.