Etat Libre D'Orange Secretions Magnifiques

2.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is my favorite perfume, and the more times I wear it, the more I come to appreciate its multifaceted nature. In warm weather, it's a marine and skin scent, with the saline and slightly funky aroma of a freshly-cracked coconut. In winter, it's raw and more redolent of the "scary" notes many reviewers describe, like semen and metal.

I think Secretions Magnifiques is more likely to be appreciated by those who enjoy their own body smells somewhat. Have you ever sniffed your pits out of idle curiosity rather than concern, or deliberately skipped showering the day after sex? You may have the nose for this fragrance.

Secretions Magnifiques is best lightly dabbed on, so I decant into an old-fashioned stoppered perfume bottle. Applied thus (emphasis on lightly!), it makes an excellent base for other fragrances, turning them into erotically charged new versions of themselves.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've tried repeatedly to describe my relationship with this scent, and always come up short somehow.

I love perfume. I'm sure I've owned 100+ over the past 10 years. Fruity, floral, oriental, green, et. al. have all had their place. But Secretions Magnifiques is different.

A normal perfume makes you smell like something extra on top of your natural body scent, lotion, shampoo, and whatever else. A really well-made perfume blends in, but still gives something extra. Secretions Magnifiques not only blends in, but *enhances* - not by smelling like several discrete notes, but by adding a facet to my countenance. This is where niche fragrances like Secretions Magnifiques often excel - in creating a wearable aura, mood, and background story.

Of course, whether that's a good thing in this case is the cause of the widely varying reviews, because the aura/mood/story is that of sweaty lovemaking with Nine Inch Nails playing in the background. It's visceral, metallic, and distinct with fresh sweat. That happens to fit my personality perfectly, but I can see where it's not for everyone. I wear it out pretty regularly, and no one's ever fallen over gagging or complained about the "stench."

Notes: I find that if I rub it into my skin rather than letting it dry down normally, it's more of a marine scent (although still unlike anything else I've ever tried). Furthermore, if used in very small amounts, it adds something extra to other scents.

To Read all 36 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/16/2015 11:44:00 PM

Shock value done really well. If stars were base on whether I liked a fragrance or if it were wearable, this would get one star. I believe intellectually that it has merit in the sense that it follows the modern idea that a fragrance need not be conventionally beautiful or evoke beauty. In fact, it's literal evocation of certain aspects of human scent is probably technically very well done.

Having said that, I had the opportunity to buy a half bottle inexpensively on eBay, and thought why not; it cannot be as louch or lurid as reviewers say. . . And I was wrong, nauseated. I immediately had the sensation of something simultaneously briny and bloody. It reminded me of very different types of things : Sperm and also (for me a disturbing juxtaposition) of my history of childhood nosebleeds. And, a stomach churning sense of creaminess. I used to get nosebleeds frequently and was told to lean back And apply pressure which sent an uncomfortable swallowing sensation down the back of my throat. SM is definitely fresh and marine, not redolent of aged meat or anything spoiled.

I immediately closed the SM bottle. Taped it shut and gave it away to a fragrance person who wanted to experience it.

If you sample this, be aware that it is extremely tenacious. Almost nothing, including acetone, rubbing alcohol and vodka will remove it from ones wrist. Would it have done so, had I not been primed by a bunch of graphic reviews? I don't think the sudden impulse to retch into the sink could be caused merely by suggestion, but I suppose there is a first time for anything.

I am not sure it's even perfume as it is conventionally rendered. More like performance art or post modern olfactory expression

The most revolting "perfume" ever. I wish I could give 0 lippies.
It smells of semen, menstrual blood and of something horrible.
I tried it once and it made me gag. It is not just a "bad" smell. It is a horrible, horrible smell.
It has something evil in it.
Also, I could not get rid of that disgusting smell: it seemed to have sunk into my skin and it took a lot of soap, hard scrubbing of my skin (with a nails brush) and spraying with deodorant to make it eventually subside (I did not say "disappear").
I laughed very hard seeing it listed on ebay for more that 100,00 USD (for a 50 ml EDP bottle)... that would be a suitable refund for me, for affecting my stomach and my mood for a whole afternoon. I cannot really imagine anybody having the guts to pay money for it and to spray it on.
I honestly think that the sense of smell of people who wrote good reviews about it must be different from mine. Maybe they are anosmic about some of its notes. Or maybe I am anosmic to some nice notes in it. I will never know.
I just know that I never smelled anything so horrible (I am a doctor and it happened to me to see autopsies being performed... hey folks, the smell was bad but not AS BAD as this). And as a perfumista, I hope to be able to forget about it, some day.

on 1/19/2014 5:01:00 PM

If it was to rate the innovation in the fragrance, I would have given it a 5. Totally stands out from anything else on the market, niche or not niche. But i can't say I like it or that I will wear it. On the other hand, I don't find either all the "animalic" notes that a lot of people seem to like, or dislike in this fragrance. When first reading the descriptions I would have expected something much more heavy, dark, musky, dirty. Blood is the only "secretion" note I smell, rather a sharp iron-like blood note mixed with a marine floral.

on 4/21/2013 8:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

Nose: Antoine Lie. aldehydic/marine/animalic. Full disclosure: I love this fragrance, and am going on a second bottle. I happen to think it's an amazing, innovative smell... totally new. I really don't get the smell of semen (we'll leave *that* to the revolting "almondy" spooge note in men's COOL WATER... Now THAT'S a repulsive no-lippie scent). I get the scorch of clean starch on white linen... and a milk/metal smell, charmingly homely, that reminds me of nothing so much as a toddler's long-abandoned bowl of half-eaten LUCKY CHARMS, metal spoon having leached in the tepid milk all day. Or maybe of the farm smell of fresh cow's milk being squirted, warm, into a zinc pail. I think SM makes a great spring and summer daytime scent, surely unisex, as it dries down to a faintly milky-sweet, linen-like musk. Once you get the smell of this fragrance in your nostrils, you'll never forget it. It does look like the pricetag has doubled since I first bought it new in 2008.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

When I smell this, I smell a wet dog. If I apply it to my skin, it morphs into wet dog smell plus something really nauseating.
I had a lot of people smell this, and they all agreed that it smelled a bit like wet dog.
That said, I would say I can pick up on the "sweat" scent and the metallic, "blood" scent, but that's all.
All of that said, I can also smell something really soft and floral in it, so I imagine this would be an amazing fragrance on some people, just not me.
Buy a sample or find a place to smell it before purchasing full size because it's very expensive, and it's such a unique fragrance.
And I would never, ever purchase this again.

on 2/6/2013 7:22:00 PM

Not what I expected at all. I wouldn't say it stinks, but it's something you don't want to smell either. Every sniff sent a flash of something evil, bad, and disturbing behind my eyes. It's an odd sensation. I would never wear this out, or even for longer than ten minutes. I might try it again out of morbid curiosity, though. Just like watching a horror film for entertainment.

on 1/12/2013 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Metallic smell that brings sense of uneasiness...
Not as bad as some say but you won't catch me wearing it on my next night out ;-)
1 lippy for originality

on 6/29/2012 8:42:00 AM

if you think that a perfume can't really re-create a materialistic emotional impression and make you affraid of what you've just experienced just by taking a whiff, try SM....
this is a real S/M perfume...smell...scent...stench....
I was so impressed when I got the chance to sniff it because I expected a ''normal kind of bad smell''...you know- something familliar, almost disgustingly innocent, reeking of familliar smelly stuff- socks, dirty loundry, ammonia, sulphur, rotten eggs, sh*t,.....ya know...the 'easy stuff...
BUT NO...
this is my dear people smell of despair, fear, agony, torture, rotten flesh,martyrs....very emotional scent of all the bad things you've ever experienced in your life...

I bow to the very fear that this one single whiff did to my inner emotional dimension, but as a perfume, as a scent that you like to wear, a scent that you'd be glad to let someone sense on you- this is a true death...void.....abyss....nothingness....

the weirdest thing I've ever smelled in my life...and god forbid if I ever smell it again!!

(omg, I've saved yum_yum's review, because I wept,literally wept when I've read it....a masterpiece of the review!!!)))

Popular Fragrances